ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Better Call Saul.. Season 3 finale

canuckhal

May 5, 2014
If you were expecting everything to be wrapped up, you will be disappointed and apparently Season 4 is not a sure things as the show hasn't been renewed and ratings not great, although higher when include DVR.

Chuck had his meltdown and he is one mean person.
Jimmy sets things right, but at the expense of his career. He manages to get closer to Kim. Chuck gives a premonition of things of come in their relationship as does Jimmy.
No Mike in the episode. That is surprising.
Nacho's fate still undetermined.
All the storylines haven't intersected.

At the end of last season, I had pretty much given up on the show and this episode reminded why I felt that way. While I believe this season was the best thus far, the finale showed the slow pacing and the heaviness of the show. Jimmy is supposed to be fun and comedic. After 3 seasons he still isn't Saul and we only have glimpses of Saul. The last couple of episodes really weren't all that fun to watch.

If you were expecting everything to be wrapped up, you will be disappointed and apparently Season 4 is not a sure things as the show hasn't been renewed and ratings not great.

Jimmy sets things right, but at the expense of his career. He manages to get closer to Kim. Chuck gives a premonition of things of come in their relationship as does Jimmy.

At the end of last season, I had pretty much given up on the show and this episode reminded why I felt that way. While I believe this season was the best thus far, the finale showed the slow pacing and the heaviness of the show. Jimmy is supposed to be fun and comedic. After 3 seasons he still isn't Saul and we only have glimpses of Saul. The last couple of episodes really weren't all that fun to watch.
+
Wow I hope its renewed, INMO its one of the best things on TV.
I liked last nights episode, I know many would consider it slow and plodding but I liked the tension it was building.
SPOILER ALERT....

I thought for sure Chuck was going to grab a live wire while bashing holes in his house looking for the incoming electricity.
His melt down was certainly epic though and yes I loved every minute of it because he's a douche bag and INMO is probably 80%
responsible for the actions Jimmy takes.

Jimmy taking the fall for (Irene?) was classic.
I am surprised at the way they ended it with Jimmy and Kim, I thought there was going to be more of a division between them.¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I thought Howard was really good last night and again it showed how Chuck only cared about himself, just like Jimmy, Howard didn't matter.

I haven't seen all the seasons of Breaking Bad (I just don't like it as much as BCS). but why did Gus save Hector?
I also like Nacho.

Yea strange there was no Mike story arc.

If you were expecting everything to be wrapped up, you will be disappointed and apparently Season 4 is not a sure things as the show hasn't been renewed and ratings not great, although higher when include DVR.

Haven't watched it yet but would be surprised if this is the last season. Vince Gilligan (the show runner) has a lot of capital at AMC after what he did for them with Breaking Bad, so at a minimum he'll almost certainly have a chance to wrap up BCS in a way he sees fit (even if they only give him one more year). Back later to discuss!

Haven't watched it yet but would be surprised if this is the last season. Vince Gilligan (the show runner) has a lot of capital at AMC after what he did for them with Breaking Bad, so at a minimum he'll almost certainly have a chance to wrap up BCS in a way he sees fit (even if they only give him one more year). Back later to discuss!

Even if it isn't cancelled I'm not sure how much longer they can drag Jimmy/Saul out until he goes full Saul.
At the most I think it would be 1 more season (maybe 12 episodes instead of 10) and then they come full circle.
Although they still have to deal with the aftermath and Cinnabon days.

Were Chuck's actions at the end on purpose?

I couldn't really tell for certain, but the way he was sitting and not moving his arms, I thought he was maybe tied or wrapped around the upper body somehow. Not sure how he would accomplish this. If so, then maybe he planted some evidence of some sort that would implicate Jimmy in the fire.
Just speculating, but I could not figure out why he was sitting so stiffly and just kicking, when he could have simply pushed the lamp over or just dropped it if he intended suicide with no ulterior motives. Seemed as though he was definitely setting up something other than an open-and-shut suicide.

I couldn't really tell for certain, but the way he was sitting and not moving his arms, I thought he was maybe tied or wrapped around the upper body somehow. Not sure how he would accomplish this. If so, then maybe he planted some evidence of some sort that would implicate Jimmy in the fire.
Just speculating, but I could not figure out why he was sitting so stiffly and just kicking, when he could have simply pushed the lamp over or just dropped it if he intended suicide with no ulterior motives. Seemed as though he was definitely setting up something other than an open-and-shut suicide.

Wasn't he wrapped up in his aluminum blanket?
I don't think he could implicate Jimmy, especially since they just had the trial where Jimmy showed the pictures of the
gas lamp on the newspapers.
No I just think he had a full on break drown.

He was wrapped in his space blanket for protection against electricity. That is some pretty far out thinking Bob..

I am pretty sure he was paralyzed by his mental illness and his belief that there was electricity somewhere in the house that he could not locate. Given what was going on at his firm, how he ended his relationship with his brother (I don't think he meant what he said) and how his mental illness was coming back with a vengeance, I think it was pretty clear that he was trying to commit suicide to end his suffering.

Reactions: cavic and gogolion
He was wrapped in his space blanket for protection against electricity. That is some pretty far out thinking Bob..

Thanks Hal!
Something always leads to something else in the series, so I was trying to do some fancy surmisin' like a double-naught spy would do.

Reactions: cavic and canuckhal
Wasn't he wrapped up in his aluminum blanket?
I don't think he could implicate Jimmy, especially since they just had the trial where Jimmy showed the pictures of the
gas lamp on the newspapers.
No I just think he had a full on break drown.

That was likely what he had on, but from his stiffness, I thought he was restrained somehow, too.
Chuck had showed a knack for planting evidence vs. Jimmy, so I was putting 2 and 2 together to get 17 (roughly).
Can't blame a fella for trying.
Hey... I already said you CAN'T. Stop it.

I am pretty sure he was paralyzed by his mental illness and his belief that there was electricity somewhere in the house that he could not locate. Given what was going on at his firm, how he ended his relationship with his brother (I don't think he meant what he said) and how his mental illness was coming back with a vengeance, I think it was pretty clear that he was trying to commit suicide to end his suffering.

Yeah, definitely suicide, but going out with a 'blaze' of glory by dragging down one or more others, was my thought.

And when I am proven to be right, I will gladly accept the beer you each will owe me with a smile and a 'told ya so' nod of the head. And if I'm proven wrong.... well, why even bother to waste time on that remote possibility?
Non-renewal of series is a push (aka byob).

Reactions: wentzel25
Also, did Chuck's meltdown-driven destruction of his home remind anyone else of that great final scene in "The Conversation", the terrific Gene Hackman movie from the 70s? Great movie.
Slow and deliberate, poignant as he realizes what he thought he heard initially vs. how he later heard it, and how he agonizes over how conflicted he becomes..... If you're a Hackman fan as I am, and have not seen it, worth a watch, imo.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Also, did Chuck's meltdown-driven destruction of his home remind anyone else of that great final scene in "The Conversation", the terrific Gene Hackman movie from the 70s? Great movie.
Slow and deliberate, poignant as he realizes what he thought he heard initially vs. how he later heard it, and how he agonizes over how conflicted he becomes..... If you're a Hackman fan as I am, and have not seen it, worth a watch, imo.

boy I've been crowing to my g/f to watch "The Conversation" since she is a big Harrison Ford fan.

but that ending, damn if I didn't start to cry when Chuck tells Jimmy he was NEVER important to him, then the tears started coming when Chuck uses the lantern from their childhood to start the fire.

Very tense, slow burn episode. Hope season 4 is in the books soon.

Reactions: Bob78
Chuck's spiral into madness was brought about by his forced termination at the law firm. He faced the ultimate humiliation in front of the entire office and his "chip" of trying to shake on an agreement with Howard fell apart when Howard gave him the check out his own personal finds s the law firm would not be affected. Chuck's statement to Jimmy about not really caring about him was just Chuck's way of trying to not have Jimmy feel bad and almost like forgiving Jimmy for his misdeeds. He actually "released" Jimmy from any guilt feelings by saying this. The opening scene makes this scene all the more heart breaking. I felt sick to my stomach watching Chuck rip apart his house. I feel it is one of the great scenes of capturing a descent into madness and Michael McKean needs to receive
many awards for his portrayal of Chuck. No way this show will not be renewed. It is one of the best things on TV now.

Chuck's spiral into madness was brought about by his forced termination at the law firm. He faced the ultimate humiliation in front of the entire office and his "chip" of trying to shake on an agreement with Howard fell apart when Howard gave him the check out his own personal finds s the law firm would not be affected. Chuck's statement to Jimmy about not really caring about him was just Chuck's way of trying to not have Jimmy feel bad and almost like forgiving Jimmy for his misdeeds. He actually "released" Jimmy from any guilt feelings by saying this. The opening scene makes this scene all the more heart breaking. I felt sick to my stomach watching Chuck rip apart his house. I feel it is one of the great scenes of capturing a descent into madness and Michael McKean needs to receive
many awards for his portrayal of Chuck. No way this show will not be renewed. It is one of the best things on TV now.

if McKean doesn't win an emmy for this season, I'm burning everything down

Definitely suicide for Chuck. His descent into madness was compelling.

Howard is a very interesting character. Gillian seems to present him from the start as the biggest arrogant douche (the foil in 80's rom-com movies all grown up), but he seems to have the most moral integrity on the show. What a move to pull on Chuck - buy him out with his own money to make him realize what a jerk he is and then humiliate him in front of the firm without anyone else really knowing it.

Howard is a very interesting character. Gillian seems to present him from the start as the biggest arrogant douche (the foil in 80's rom-com movies all grown up), but he seems to have the most moral integrity on the show. What a move to pull on Chuck - buy him out with his own money to make him realize what a jerk he is and then humiliate him in front of the firm without anyone else really knowing it.
My ex wife knows Patrick Fabian's wife well. Says he's a great, goofy guy. Really nice and appreciative of his big break

Even if it isn't cancelled I'm not sure how much longer they can drag Jimmy/Saul out until he goes full Saul.
At the most I think it would be 1 more season (maybe 12 episodes instead of 10) and then they come full circle.
Although they still have to deal with the aftermath and Cinnabon days.

Don't disagree - the do need one more season though to really bridge BCS and BB. Would be great to have Walt show up at some point...

Reactions: BBrown
Speaking of which, did anyone know him in school? Probably graduated 85 or 86

No and I would have thought I would at least bumped into him. I was an Art Major and lived in Beam Hall in '83 and '84 and at that time that was the Arts and Architecture interest house. Plus all my labs and classes were in that general area.

Don't disagree - the do need one more season though to really bridge BCS and BB. Would be great to have Walt show up at some point...
It needs to go 5 seasons just like BB. I'm sure I've said it before, but I think 5 seasons is the standard for shows like this. I'd like to see Season 4 start the transition to Saul and Season 5 complete the transition and then go beyond BB.

Walt definitely needs to make an appearance. Would be cool to see some scenes from BB but from a different perspective.

Personally, I love the show. I had never seen Breaking Bad and so I started binging on Breaking Bad because of Better Call Saul - oh my is that an awesome show!

One of the best shows I've ever watched.

Kim: is she about to become addicted, did she save the Rolodex so she could go into elder law?

Howard: loved the way he called the bluff, and then gave Chuck the farewell that seemed intended to protect his image to his employees.

Gus: oh man, wow! So interested in torturing Salamanca. Instantly recognized Hector involved, probably by knowing Salamanca was squeezing Hector's dad, and by Hector's lack of action. Maybe even saw him suspiciously collecting the meds. Looks at Hector like he's figuring out how to use him or if/when he will kill him.

Chuck: was he trying to cover up his suicide, maybe fool insurance? I bet his ex-wife is his beneficiary and/or inherits his fortune. I wonder if he cashed the check and signed the buyout papers. He died alone per Jimmy.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
One of the best shows I've ever watched.

Kim: is she about to become addicted, did she save the Rolodex so she could go into elder law?

Howard: loved the way he called the bluff, and then gave Chuck the farewell that seemed intended to protect his image to his employees.

Gus: oh man, wow! So interested in torturing Salamanca. Instantly recognized Hector involved, probably by knowing Salamanca was squeezing Hector's dad, and by Hector's lack of action. Maybe even saw him suspiciously collecting the meds. Looks at Hector like he's figuring out how to use him or if/when he will kill him.

Chuck: was he trying to cover up his suicide, maybe fool insurance? I bet his ex-wife is his beneficiary and/or inherits his fortune. I wonder if he cashed the check and signed the buyout papers. He died alone per Jimmy.

Um, Hector IS Salamanca, you mean Nacho

Reactions: 91Joe95

Given that so many of you folks are big fans of BCS I'm very surprised none of you watched the after show called "Talking Saul". They had one after the first show of the season and another one after the finale. Anyway, Peter Gould was on Talking Saul and Bob is right, the scene was most definitely inspired by the scene in "The Conversation".

They also talked as if there would most definitely be a season 4. They talked about how they have a lot of loose ends to tie up. Although they did also mention that they haven't even started working on season 4 so who knows when it will come out.

Reactions: Bob78
Given that so many of you folks are big fans of BCS I'm very surprised none of you watched the after show called "Talking Saul". They had one after the first show of the season and another one after the finale. Anyway, Peter Gould was on Talking Saul and Bob is right, the scene was most definitely inspired by the scene in "The Conversation".

They also talked as if there would most definitely be a season 4. They talked about how they have a lot of loose ends to tie up. Although they did also mention that they haven't even started working on season 4 so who knows when it will come out.

Didn't see the 'after show' show. Imitation being flattery, the inspiration is worthy praise on both ends.

Glad to hear they are implying a season 4.

Better Call Saul and Fargo were the best shows of the Spring. It is only "slow" compared to dopey shows like The Walking Dead.

Would add American Gods was my favorite of the three - and that is saying something.

Yeah, that was great. Howard has had one of the best character arcs on TV in recent memory (Jaime Lannister is up there too). Chuck's downfall was perfect and you know someone is acting his ass off when you despise his character so much - outstanding effort by Michael McKean and the cast. I don't know what to make of Kim - I think she sort of took a step back after seeing everything that happened with Chuck/Jimmy/Howard - it's just too much and her near death experience is making her re-think her career choice IMO. Jimmy is a weasel, but he has a good heart. He did want his Sandpiper money and thought it would be win/win with Ruth (?) - he didn't count on the rest of her friends turning on her because they felt she was holding out. As for the whole Hector/Nacho/Gus thing, I can't wait to see how Hector ends up in a wheel chair with a bell. For clarification - am I correct in assuming Nacho did *not* switch Hector's pills, or did he? I thought he changed his mind which is why he went to his father about playing nice with Hector. Did Gus or Mike change them back?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT