ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Better Call Saul.. Season 3 finale

For clarification - am I correct in assuming Nacho did *not* switch Hector's pills, or did he? I thought he changed his mind which is why he went to his father about playing nice with Hector. Did Gus or Mike change them back?
I haven't seen the season finale, but, yeah, Nacho switched the pills. How could he switch them back? He wouldn't have taken that risk.

For clarification - am I correct in assuming Nacho did *not* switch Hector's pills, or did he? I thought he changed his mind which is why he went to his father about playing nice with Hector. Did Gus or Mike change them back?

He switched them and we saw him put them in Hector's pocket. What happened is that Hector had an attack, took the Ibuprofen, and was okay. Nacho looked shocked. Considering the pills didn't have the intended effect, he had to go along with Hector's plan and tell his father.

When Hector had another attack, the Ibuprofen did nothing and Hector went in cardiac arrest. Nacho switched the pills again as per Mike's advice. You saw Nacho pick up the pills. The last shot was Gus staring at Nacho as if he knew something was remiss.

Given that so many of you folks are big fans of BCS I'm very surprised none of you watched the after show called "Talking Saul". They had one after the first show of the season and another one after the finale. Anyway, Peter Gould was on Talking Saul and Bob is right, the scene was most definitely inspired by the scene in "The Conversation".

They also talked as if there would most definitely be a season 4. They talked about how they have a lot of loose ends to tie up. Although they did also mention that they haven't even started working on season 4 so who knows when it will come out.

Its on too late for me and I have to go to bed. LOL. its too bad that don't have it On Demand. I got to get me one of those
DVR thingys.

Given that so many of you folks are big fans of BCS I'm very surprised none of you watched the after show called "Talking Saul". They had one after the first show of the season and another one after the finale.
Talking Saul is on every week, not just after the premiere and finale. AMC has been running this "Talking ____" show after a ton of shows lately (Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc.). I stopped watching them because there are too many of them, and I don't need to hear what celebrities have to say about an episode to determine what I thought about it. I do miss the little nuggets of factual behind the scenes stuff that they share from time to time such as what you stated, but too much of that show is just fluff for me to stomach anymore. Chris Hardwick is seemingly everywhere these days. I like him, but I'm getting a little tired of him too. He must have a great agent.

Talking Saul is on every week, not just after the premiere and finale. AMC has been running this "Talking ____" show after a ton of shows lately (Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc.). I stopped watching them because there are too many of them, and I don't need to hear what celebrities have to say about an episode to determine what I thought about it. I do miss the little nuggets of factual behind the scenes stuff that they share from time to time such as what you stated, but too much of that show is just fluff for me to stomach anymore. Chris Hardwick is seemingly everywhere these days. I like him, but I'm getting a little tired of him too. He must have a great agent.

I thought most of the people on the panels were the actors, writers or directors? I know Talking Dead usually has a "guest" on with 2 of the cast members but most of the time they are pretty decent. Maryln Manson was a complete disaster. LOL.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Yeah, that was great. Howard has had one of the best character arcs on TV in recent memory (Jaime Lannister is up there too). Chuck's downfall was perfect and you know someone is acting his ass off when you despise his character so much - outstanding effort by Michael McKean and the cast. I don't know what to make of Kim - I think she sort of took a step back after seeing everything that happened with Chuck/Jimmy/Howard - it's just too much and her near death experience is making her re-think her career choice IMO. Jimmy is a weasel, but he has a good heart. He did want his Sandpiper money and thought it would be win/win with Ruth (?) - he didn't count on the rest of her friends turning on her because they felt she was holding out. As for the whole Hector/Nacho/Gus thing, I can't wait to see how Hector ends up in a wheel chair with a bell. For clarification - am I correct in assuming Nacho did *not* switch Hector's pills, or did he? I thought he changed his mind which is why he went to his father about playing nice with Hector. Did Gus or Mike change them back?
I'm pretty sure he swapped out the pills. I assumed that he was going to try to swap them back when he saw them spilled over the ground after Hector collapsed.
Gus definitely knows that Nacho is involved. I'm really curious what happens to Nacho. Does he form a secret alliance with Gus, only to be discovered and then killed by Hector?

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Hands off Pacific Northwest Boy!!!! :mad:

I am all over the Kim Wexler/Naomi Watts archetype.
7140853cbc8b926e24d090c0915f9b0f.png

I thought most of the people on the panels were the actors, writers or directors? I know Talking Dead usually has a "guest" on with 2 of the cast members but most of the time they are pretty decent. Maryln Manson was a complete disaster. LOL.
Yes, the usually are the actors and writers on the show. But most of the content they talk about isn't very meaningful IMO, so I stopped watching. It's a lot of "what do you think the character you played/wrote was thinking or feeling when they did ____?" Insert something that happened in the episode in the blank. This adds little value for me. What I miss is them sharing technical details about how they shoot something, special effects, or facts about the show such as that there will be a season 4 even though AMC hasn't made that official.

Reactions: BBrown
I'm pretty sure he swapped out the pills. I assumed that he was going to try to swap them back when he saw them spilled over the ground after Hector collapsed.
Gus definitely knows that Nacho is involved. I'm really curious what happens to Nacho. Does he form a secret alliance with Gus, only to be discovered and then killed by Hector?
Maybe he did switch them back and maybe Gus saw him do it. That could be why Gus gave him the stink eye. Also it could be why Gus tried to save Hector. If Hector dies and they find toxic drugs in his body it could raise suspicions of foul play and attract attention Gus doesn't need. I can't remember the sequencing of the scene and if they showed Nacho messing with the pills before or after Gus started CPR.

Regardless, it is known that Gus is very calculating. He would have a plan to deal with Hector on his own terms and probably doesn't like Nacho getting involved without his awareness or approval.

Maybe he did switch them back and maybe Gus saw him do it. That could be why Gus gave him the stink eye. Also it could be why Gus tried to save Hector. If Hector dies and they find toxic drugs in his body it could raise suspicions of foul play and attract attention Gus doesn't need. I can't remember the sequencing of the scene and if they showed Nacho messing with the pills before or after Gus started CPR.

Regardless, it is known that Gus is very calculating. He would have a plan to deal with Hector on his own terms and probably doesn't like Nacho getting involved without his awareness or approval.
Pretty sure they showed Nacho looking down at the pills and then bending down before Gus did CPR. Never showed if he started picking them up.

I still don't know why Gus wants Hector around. It could be to mess with him, or because it would raise suspicion, but it seems like there could be another reason that we don't know yet.

Ok I'll keep up with it then. I think I stopped somewhere around 4.
I took the advice others gave me about Legion and loved it.

Yeah - it really found it's footing the past few episodes; will have some great surprises if you're a fan of Season 1. The finale is tonight - can't wait!

Oh, I didn't know that. If that's true, they don't always show it right after the episode because at least twice I know they showed the current episode twice, back to back. I know this because the regular time slot isn't convenient for me so at least twice I've watched the 2nd showing of it, which aired right after the first. I'm also pretty sure the On Demand listing showed it as S3 Ep2 (I remember this because I wasn't sure if it was the correct one I was watching, thinking the episode number would correspond to the show number). I could be wrong though...

Pretty sure they showed Nacho looking down at the pills and then bending down before Gus did CPR. Never showed if he started picking them up.

I still don't know why Gus wants Hector around. It could be to mess with him, or because it would raise suspicion, but it seems like there could be another reason that we don't know yet.

I could have sworn they showed Nacho squatting down and picking up the pills, but I'm not sure on the timing compared to other events like Gus giving Hector CPR.

Reactions: bytir
Yeah, that was great. Howard has had one of the best character arcs on TV in recent memory (Jaime Lannister is up there too). Chuck's downfall was perfect and you know someone is acting his ass off when you despise his character so much - outstanding effort by Michael McKean and the cast. I don't know what to make of Kim - I think she sort of took a step back after seeing everything that happened with Chuck/Jimmy/Howard - it's just too much and her near death experience is making her re-think her career choice IMO. Jimmy is a weasel, but he has a good heart. He did want his Sandpiper money and thought it would be win/win with Ruth (?) - he didn't count on the rest of her friends turning on her because they felt she was holding out. As for the whole Hector/Nacho/Gus thing, I can't wait to see how Hector ends up in a wheel chair with a bell. For clarification - am I correct in assuming Nacho did *not* switch Hector's pills, or did he? I thought he changed his mind which is why he went to his father about playing nice with Hector. Did Gus or Mike change them back?
Nacho switched the pills at Hector's place of business" in an elaborate scene a few weeks ago.

Here's the clip. Nacho picks up the pill bottle and pills WHILE Gus is giving Hector CPR. When the EMS asks if he was on medication, Nacho gives her the bottle of pills and in the background Gus is giving him a suspicious look. I don't think Gus could have seen Nacho picking up the pills while he was giving CPR. I think it was pretty obvious that the pills went flying everywhere when Hector fell, so Gus was suspicious about how/why Nacho picked them all up so carefully in the heat of the moment.

Here's the clip. Nacho picks up the pill bottle and pills WHILE Gus is giving Hector CPR. When the EMS asks if he was on medication, Nacho gives her the bottle of pills and in the background Gus is giving him a suspicious look. I don't think Gus could have seen Nacho picking up the pills while he was giving CPR. I think it was pretty obvious that the pills went flying everywhere when Hector fell, so Gus was suspicious about how/why Nacho picked them all up so carefully in the heat of the moment.

Nice work. Yeah, you see him putting pills in his pocket, so he definitely swapped them back. And Gus definitely knows something is up with Nacho and the pills.

So Nacho put the pills in his pocket and then handed the "original" container of real pills back to the EMT?

Nice work. Yeah, you see him putting pills in his pocket, so he definitely swapped them back. And Gus definitely knows something is up with Nacho and the pills.

Yea thanks gogolion cause I didn't catch him putting them into his pocket when I was watching it.

I could have sworn they showed Nacho squatting down and picking up the pills, but I'm not sure on the timing compared to other events like Gus giving Hector CPR.
Agreed, I definitely remember him collecting the pills. Like you, I can't recall the sequence of events

I think Hector is a bigger player than he gets credit for. No way could Gus, who is building his empire at this point, take Hector out without major repercussions. He's strategic though and playing the long game. I think Nacho will be a pawn of his soon enough...

I think Hector is a bigger player than he gets credit for. No way could Gus, who is building his empire at this point, take Hector out without major repercussions. He's strategic though and playing the long game. I think Nacho will be a pawn of his soon enough...

"Nacho only pawn in game of life"...LOL.

Last edited:
Hector said his family was responsible for building the business. It was Salamunka money, blood, etc... The mafia boss said it was a partnership, which Hector took exception. My guess is that the Chilean somehow worked his way into the business without family ties and Hector resents that Gus' position has equalled or eclipsed his. Might also be due to some racial prejudices. Hence, them treating Hector and his family like a dog.

I think Fring needs Hector because he is reckless and will be the person of suspicion with law enforcement. Fring needs to stay in the background to insure success on his terms. Because of that he "needs" to have a gangster on the street to grab the attention.

Hector said his family was responsible for building the business. It was Salamunka money, blood, etc... The mafia boss said it was a partnership, which Hector took exception. My guess is that the Chilean somehow worked his way into the business without family ties and Hector resents that Gus' position has equalled or eclipsed his. Might also be due to some racial prejudices. Hence, them treating Hector and his family like a dog.

Isn't there a theory that Gus is gay? If so that might be a bigger issue to Hector than "race".

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Yea I said "theory" because I don't think it was ever out right stated in either BCS or BB.
But if he was just his business partner that pool scene and aftermath was really over the top. LOL.

I don't think it was ever stated explicitly, but . . . sure would explain the hate on Gus had for Hector

Did anyone catch the bell on the counter while Hector was standing there when they were at nachos dads place. Would that be foreshadowing or past shadowing

Would add American Gods was my favorite of the three - and that is saying something.

I haven't seen American Gods but it is on my to watch list.

Bob Odenkirk interview:

"How did you find out about Chuck’s fate?

I got a phone call from Vince and Peter. No, first Michael told us in a casual way, because he had gotten a call, and then everybody was talking about it on set and stuff, and then a few hours later I got a call from Vince and Peter, who are very considerate and very sensitive about these big choices in the story, and they were thinking that they were breaking the news to me. I was clear that we had all talked about it. I think they didn’t realize how Michael would be able to handle it. Michael’s done so much stuff, and so many different jobs, and while he saw the value of the great great writing of this show, and his part was so important, and such a wonderful part for him, and he did it so well, and I think he would’ve liked to carry on doing it for years to come, but he’s also a writer himself, and he knows that story has to be paramount, and this had to happen in this story. He took it great, like the kind of experienced actor that he is, and he shared it with all of us, and then Vince and Peter called to let us all down gently. Look; there’s things about this show that are inevitable. You have to be a grown-up about it. It’s gonna end at a certain point. I don’t really know right now, but sooner rather than later, it’s gonna end, and the character’s going to become Saul, who’s kind of a shitty guy. He’s going to go from being a dimensional, empathetic character to a shallow asshole. And that’s the journey that we all agreed to. All these things are going to happen. It’s a big deal, but these are things we’re all knowing are coming down the pike.

With the way you describe the transition from one to the other, if there winds up being an extended period of time where you’re playing the Saul of Breaking Bad, are you looking forward to that? Or are you going to miss playing this guy you’re playing right now?

This is a more rewarding part than that. So, yes, I would miss the part that I’m playing now. I don’t think there is an extended period of time that we’ll be enjoying Saul’s ridiculousness. I think there will be a story to tell there, though. We’re not quite there yet. With Chuck gone, that is one of the two big things that are connecting him to humanity, and the other being Kim. When those pillars fall away, he’s in freefall. We’re fairly close to that. And then there’s some story to tell as Saul. Peter and Vince and I talked, and as a viewer myself and a fan of their storytelling, I want to understand what happened with Saul and Mike, and Nacho and Lalo, who I’ve never met, none of us have met, that leads to all the stuff that goes on in Breaking Bad.

Also, frankly, I would like to see what happens to Gene, the character Saul is post-Breaking Bad. I hope they’ll give some story to him. I think they will. They’re talking about it. So I don’t know how much time is left, but I will and do already feel bad about saying goodbye to the very likable and, I think, good-hearted Jimmy McGill.

Rhea (Seehorn) says she has speculated about where Kim is during the events of Breaking Bad, while Michael has said he never liked to think about Chuck’s future. Is this something you’ve spent a lot of time speculating about?

I feel like Kim has to be out of Jimmy’s life for him to have to be Saul. I don’t know if she has to be gone from the earth. But I also feel like for him to behave as Saul, even with her, let’s say she lives across town and she can see his billboards and stuff, I think that would be an embarrassment to him. So I don’t know what happens to her that he carries on becoming this guy in such a public way. Maybe she just rejects him, and it’s his way of making her feel bad. I don’t know. This will be interesting to see what happens. These guys are good writers. All the desires and motivations will be acknowledged in some way. But they can’t be together. I’d be shocked if they are together, Kim and Jimmy. The weird thing is, if Chuck had lived, becoming Saul would be a great way to **** with him. Putting your billboards up over town, that would be a great way to wave that in his face and make him embarrassed."

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/better-call-saul-bob-odenkirk-saul-goodman-finale-recap-interview/

There is also the possibility that Kim goes down the rabbit hole with Jimmy. They did run at least one con together in a bar.

ADVERTISEMENT