ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Better Call Saul - S3E1 Discussion....***SPOILERS***

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

So, what did everyone think? Basically picks up right after the events in the season two finale; Jimmy admits to a felony by way of doctering documents to help Kim/screw Chuck (AND SCREW CHUCK!) but is unaware he's being recorded, and Mike is on the case of someone who may be tracking him after not-so-subtly interrupting his kill-shot. Both story-lines get just the right amount of attention and pay-off. Some thoughts...

- The biggie - what is Chuck going to do with Jimmy's taped confession? He knows it's virtually useless; certainly, his getting Ernesto to hear Jimmy's confession 'accidentally' was no accident, right? If true, what does Chuck have planned?

- I really like Kim and Jimmy as a couple/team. Fearing that ending is really, really depressing.

- Watching Mike tear through his car to find the tracking device was actually quite fun. Watching him turn the tables on his followers was even better. No suspense here right - Fring is the guy he's going to find at the end of that tracking device, isn't he?

- I was surprised at how much we got to see Jimmy/Saul in 'present day' Omaha. Quite the little life 'Gene' has and then he collapses - any chance at some point, this story goes beyond the events in BB - like, for real?

- So, what does everything think the significance, if any, of the book (and title of the episode) 'Adventures with Mabel' has for this season? The book is about a five-year-old who helps the King of Lizards and is rewarded with the power to talk to animals. Vince Gilligan is one of the best show-runners alive, so certainly this book has meaning, right? But what?

Reactions: cavic
So, what did everyone think? Basically picks up right after the events in the season two finale; Jimmy admits to a felony by way of doctering documents to help Kim/screw Chuck (AND SCREW CHUCK!) but is unaware he's being recorded, and Mike is on the case of someone who may be tracking him after not-so-subtly interrupting his kill-shot. Both story-lines get just the right amount of attention and pay-off. Some thoughts...

- The biggie - what is Chuck going to do with Jimmy's taped confession? He knows it's virtually useless; certainly, his getting Ernesto to hear Jimmy's confession 'accidentally' was no accident, right? If true, what does Chuck have planned?

- I really like Kim and Jimmy as a couple/team. Fearing that ending is really, really depressing.

- Watching Mike tear through his car to find the tracking device was actually quite fun. Watching him turn the tables on his followers was even better. No suspense here right - Fring is the guy he's going to find at the end of that tracking device, isn't he?

- I was surprised at how much we got to see Jimmy/Saul in 'present day' Omaha. Quite the little life 'Gene' has and then he collapses - any chance at some point, this story goes beyond the events in BB - like, for real?

- So, what does everything think the significance, if any, of the book (and title of the episode) 'Adventures with Mabel' has for this season? The book is about a five-year-old who helps the King of Lizards and is rewarded with the power to talk to animals. Vince Gilligan is one of the best show-runners alive, so certainly this book has meaning, right? But what?
No idea what Chuck has planned. He obviously knows that Ernesto will tell Jimmy at some point. Is he hoping the Jimmy will try to steal the tape?

Mike is definitely on the trail of Fring. It's obvious, so it will be fun to see what kind of twists are in store that aren't so obvious.

I've thought from the beginning that this story isn't ending with Jimmy at Cinnabon. It has to explore a final story line that goes beyond what we already know. It will be interesting to see if we get parallel stories to BB that we didn't see before - and cameos by Cranston.

I suspect Saul gets tired of living life looking over his shoulder at cinebon and goes ballistic. He turns them all in regardless of the fear he has for his life.

Regardless that, I read one review that stated Gilligan was great at making nothing happening edge-of-the-seat suspenseful for a full hour

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I suspect Saul gets tired of living life looking over his shoulder at cinebon and goes ballistic. He turns them all in regardless of the fear he has for his life.

Regardless that, I read one review that stated Gilligan was great at making nothing happening edge-of-the-seat suspenseful for a full hour

Also great at filling the screen with gorgeous shots of New Mexico.

Reactions: kijanalives

I liked it.
I know some people didn't think much happened and yea I guess they're correct but it just laid a massive table setting for the rest of the series.
I can also just enjoy it for the way its filmed and the way the scenes are framed. I'm nerd geeky that way. I think its the photographer in me.
Boy you nailed it wih Kim and Jimmy. I really, really like the both of them and its just not going to end the way
I want it to.
I hate Chuck.
I like Ernesto and wouldn't mind seeing more of his story but I did think that was an accident....hmmmm...
I thought Mikes "turn the tables" segment was brilliant.

I liked it.
I know some people didn't think much happened and yea I guess they're correct but it just laid a massive table setting for the rest of the series.
I can also just enjoy it for the way its filmed and the way the scenes are framed. I'm nerd geeky that way. I think its the photographer in me.
Boy you nailed it wih Kim and Jimmy. I really, really like the both of them and its just not going to end the way
I want it to.
I hate Chuck.
I like Ernesto and wouldn't mind seeing more of his story but I did think that was an accident....hmmmm...
I learned a lot about gas caps! Kidding, I love the suspense

I think Ernesto hearing the tape was accidental. It just adds another layer of prick-ness to Chuck because he is now threatening Ernesto. Chuck wants to always be above board and he tried to scam Jimmy at his own game but it's gonna blow up in his face. Remember Ernesto told Chuck Jimmy called him when Chuck fainted at the print shop when he really didn't. Ernesto hates how shitty Chuck treats Jimmy. I think Chuck will try to use the tape as blackmail. He did let Howard hear it and even Howard said it would b non-admissible in court.

The Mabel book Chuck used to read to his younger brother, Jimmy. I think this is just another level of deep connection Jimmy and Chuck have despite their differences. Chuck's pride is going to be his undoing and I think Chuck eventually cracks up and is institutionalized. Chuck really is fond of Jimmy deep down but his pride and ego get in the way.

I don't think it's Fring following Mike but Hector Salamanca. Remember the twins were on the rooftop last year threatening Mike's granddaughter. Hector does not forget that Mike dragged his feet to get Tuco out of jail. I also think that Nacho has pointed the finger at Mike because of his plot to want to take Tuco out. I also think that Mike will be the reason Hector winds up in the wheelchair which then allows Gus to become the main cartel man in New Mexico.

Well just re-watching and now I do think it is Fring following Mike. He probably put sign on Mike's car and the limb on his horn to get him from shooting Hector. That makes more sense now. I still think Mike puts Hector in the wheelchair, though.

I think Ernesto hearing the tape was accidental. It just adds another layer of prick-ness to Chuck because he is now threatening Ernesto. Chuck wants to always be above board and he tried to scam Jimmy at his own game but it's gonna blow up in his face. Remember Ernesto told Chuck Jimmy called him when Chuck fainted at the print shop when he really didn't. Ernesto hates how shitty Chuck treats Jimmy. I think Chuck will try to use the tape as blackmail. He did let Howard hear it and even Howard said it would b non-admissible in court.

The Mabel book Chuck used to read to his younger brother, Jimmy. I think this is just another level of deep connection Jimmy and Chuck have despite their differences. Chuck's pride is going to be his undoing and I think Chuck eventually cracks up and is institutionalized. Chuck really is fond of Jimmy deep down but his pride and ego get in the way.

I don't think it's Fring following Mike but Hector Salamanca. Remember the twins were on the rooftop last year threatening Mike's granddaughter. Hector does not forget that Mike dragged his feet to get Tuco out of jail. I also think that Nacho has pointed the finger at Mike because of his plot to want to take Tuco out. I also think that Mike will be the reason Hector winds up in the wheelchair which then allows Gus to become the main cartel man in New Mexico.

I would be more inclined to think Chuck's tape fiasco with Ernesto was an accident if not for the foreshadowing in the conversation he had with Howard a few scenes earlier.

What I really want to see is Jimmy take Chuck down in the one place Chuck feels superior - court. I think he might do that, and in the process end up destroying Chuck, which is how he ends up as Saul Goodman.

I'm actually not a huge Mike fan but appreciate his pragmatism and the matter of fact way he goes about his business - he's a guy who knows a thing or two about a thing or two...

I liked it.
I want it to.
I hate Chuck.

I don't have really high expectations for premieres for the most part (save Game of Thrones), but given this is essentially the second half of last year's season finale I agree - it was mostly there to set the tables for everyone going forward. Notice how Jimmy still has a thing for Kim? His lunchbox was a Kansas City Royals one - her favorite team...

PI-MLB-royals-Kim-Wexler-6-032216.vadapt.767.high.0.jpg

565.jpg

Hmm, what gets Jimmy in this mess? Could the Air Force captain follow through on his threat about the commercial?

I don't think so - more like Chuck followed through on whatever it is he was going to do.

I would be more inclined to think Chuck's tape fiasco with Ernesto was an accident if not for the foreshadowing in the conversation he had with Howard a few scenes earlier.
Agree. Doesn't Chuck give a wry smile after Ernesto heard the tape? I'll have to go back and watch again, but I thought they made it obvious that he was setting Ernesto/Jimmy up.

What I really want to see is Jimmy take Chuck down in the one place Chuck feels superior - court. I think he might do that, and in the process end up destroying Chuck, which is how he ends up as Saul Goodman.

I'm actually not a huge Mike fan but appreciate his pragmatism and the matter of fact way he goes about his business - he's a guy who knows a thing or two about a thing or two...

I don't have really high expectations for premieres for the most part (save Game of Thrones), but given this is essentially the second half of last year's season finale I agree - it was mostly there to set the tables for everyone going forward. Notice how Jimmy still has a thing for Kim? His lunchbox was a Kansas City Royals one - her favorite team...

Yep that prick Chuck had the play button pushed all along and when Ernesto changed the batteries it immediately came on to the section Chuck wanted. What certifies Chuck's plot is the subtle flip of the tongs once Ernesto leaves. What a dick.

Yep that prick Chuck had the play button pushed all along and when Ernesto changed the batteries it immediately came on to the section Chuck wanted. What certifies Chuck's plot is the subtle flip of the tongs once Ernesto leaves. What a dick.

Also - not like there was any evidence the batteries in the recorder were dead or dying. Just a device to get Ernesto to hear the tape 'accidentally'....

What?!? One of best characters in the history of television. Ok maybe that's overstating it a little but Mike could carry a whole show by himself.

Reactions: cavic
What?!? One of best characters in the history of television. Ok maybe that's overstating it a little but Mike could carry a whole show by himself.

I just don't get the fascination with him. He's a good character and very clever. But, he's one note for the most part - 'WILL DO ANYTHING FOR GRANDDAUGHTER!!!'. He's sort of like Batman though without the suit and all the money. Toils away at a thankless job during the day and prowls the night using his vast array of detective and police skills. I will say I like him in BCS better than in BB.

It was NO accident. See Chuck's smirk as Ernesto exits the room. And why would he need fresh batteries in the recorder? He already has Jimmy on tape. He needs someone else to champion his effort to out Jimmy, and though that person may not be Ernesto, the knowledge could be passed to Jimmy, changing his interactions with Chick going forward.

Salamanca and the twins were in the adobe home when Mike had Tuco his crosshairs. It's not him; I think it's a yet-to-be introduced Fring underling.

Reactions: BBrown
Don't any of you guys watch "Talking Saul" after the show? They openly talked about how Ernesto hearing the tape was no accident. It was pretty obvious it was part of Chuck's plan, but what exactly his plan is, that isn't so clear.

The book was an homage by Vince Gilligan to his mom because she used to read it to him when he was a kid.

What I want to know is, exactly what did Ernesto hear on the tape? It happened so quick I didn't notice what words he heard or even who was talking (and I don't have it on DVR).

What I want to know is, exactly what did Ernesto hear on the tape? It happened so quick I didn't notice what words he heard or even who was talking (and I don't have it on DVR).
Ernesto heard Jimmy confess to Chuck about changing the address on the Mesa Verde branch grand opening.

Last edited:
I just don't get the fascination with him. He's a good character and very clever. But, he's one note for the most part - 'WILL DO ANYTHING FOR GRANDDAUGHTER!!!'. He's sort of like Batman though without the suit and all the money. Toils away at a thankless job during the day and prowls the night using his vast array of detective and police skills. I will say I like him in BCS better than in BB.
I think a spin off of early Mike as a Philly cop would be sensational.

I agree with Grant, We may see Jimmy after Cinnabon somehow some way.

I thought the first show was fantastic. Was the Air Force guy a single episode event?

I'm an expert in all kinds of shit that I really DO know about, that have about 0.0 practical value in the world.

I'm also an expert in sports, according to me, and my dog, and my girlfriend, and nobody else, lmao.

And I think even SHE is lying.;)
If anyone thinks they're an expert in their girlfriend or wife, they're living in a dream world.

Reactions: LionJim
Nice symbolic foreshadowing too. A storm is coming.

His use of music is also poignant. "Baby Blue" may have been the most perfect song for the ending of a show (Breaking Bad) ever. Almost like the song was written for that finale.

I thought the exact same thing - that song was PERFECT to end the series. Perfect.

Nice symbolic foreshadowing too. A storm is coming.

His use of music is also poignant. "Baby Blue" may have been the most perfect song for the ending of a show (Breaking Bad) ever. Almost like the song was written for that finale.

Let's not forget Crystal Blue Persuasion.... my wife and I actually laughed out loud when that played.

Reactions: Woodpecker
Has anybody wonder why Saul works at one of most public places you can work at, a mall?
I guess the cops have no idea he was involved

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT