ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best way to sell a car

wlawn

Sep 27, 2016
My daughter just purchased a Ford Escape 2015 Titanium(5 months ago) 50,000 miles, very good shape. She got a promotion and moved to NYC(I know bad timing) and does not need a Car. I can't see her spending $350 + Insurance a month. I tried to sell it back to the dealer and we would take a $5000 hit. Any thoughts. Sites to list? Thanks !!!

Reactions: emnit
My daughter just purchased a Ford Escape 2015 Titanium(5 months ago) 50,000 miles, very good shape. She got a promotion and moved to NYC(I know bad timing) and does not need a Car. I can't see her spending $350 + Insurance a month. I tried to sell it back to the dealer and we would take a $5000 hit. Any thoughts. Sites to list? Thanks !!!

Given the model/mileage - you should not have too big a problem finding a buyer if your asking price is reasonable... selling it yourself, i assume... i’d start with Facebook Marketplace as i feel it’s more-effective than Craigslist... then the usual aggregators: Autotrader, Cars.com...

Similar thing happened with my daughter when she got a company car a little over a year after we bought her one as an early college graduation gift. I work for a big company and put flyers up on bulletin boards in both of our buildings. I almost gave up when someone called me and ended up buying it. The dealer we bought it from gave an offer that was a JOKE!! Good luck.

Reactions: TheGLOV

I've sold a number of cars on Craig's List, and that would be where I would recommend you start. But the cars I'v sold on CL have not been of the value of your daughter's car.

If I had to guess, as I just looked at Kelly Blue Book for your Escape, I'd guess that your daughter paid around $18K for it and the dealer now would give you $13K.

https://www.kbb.com/ford/escape/2015/titanium-sport-utility-4d/?vehicleid=400274&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=50000&pricetype=trade-in&condition=good&options=6395019|true#survey

KBB also shows that the Private Party sales price should be around $16,000 to $16,500, for "Good" condition. Your car, if it is in "Very Good" condition may be worth a little more. KBB gives definitions for their ratings on their web site.

If I was in your position, I'd list the car on Craig's List and also list it on Auto Trader and/or on Car Guru's. Take a good number of clear pictures that show the car's condition in detail (making sure the car is clean beforehand). Make up your minds on what you are willing to take, and then set a price around the KBB value with some negotiating room.

Ford Escapes are very popular vehicles, so you should not have much trouble getting a fair price if the car is in nice shape. Good Luck!

I've sold a number of cars on Craig's List, and that would be where I would recommend you start. But the cars I'v sold on CL have not been of the value of your daughter's car.

If I had to guess, as I just looked at Kelly Blue Book for your Escape, I'd guess that your daughter paid around $18K for it and the dealer now would give you $13K.

https://www.kbb.com/ford/escape/2015/titanium-sport-utility-4d/?vehicleid=400274&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=50000&pricetype=trade-in&condition=good&options=6395019|true#survey

KBB also shows that the Private Party sales price should be around $16,000 to $16,500, for "Good" condition. Your car, if it is in "Very Good" condition may be worth a little more. KBB gives definitions for their ratings on their web site.

If I was in your position, I'd list the car on Craig's List and also list it on Auto Trader and/or on Car Guru's. Take a good number of clear pictures that show the car's condition in detail (making sure the car is clean beforehand). Make up your minds on what you are willing to take, and then set a price around the KBB value with some negotiating room.

Ford Escapes are very popular vehicles, so you should not have much trouble getting a fair price if the car is in nice shape. Good Luck!
Thank you everyone, Greg , you are right, 18,000 but dealer offered $14,000

Reactions: LionJim
Autotrader or cars.com.

You may also find a used car dealer willing to sell on consignment. I sold a car that way a few years ago. The dealer charged $500 to sell the car, but he got about $700 more than I believe I would’ve received via private sale. I was up $200 and didn’t have to deal with it.

I've sold four vehicles on eBay over the past 15 years: two top end minivans, a Honda Accord, and an 800cc motorcycle. Got great (to me) deals on all.

If you were looking to unload it - that $14k was a strong offer from the dealer based on the blackbook ... unless you are in an exceptional market, even a Titanium - $14k is about what you’d likely get in a private party sale IMHO as there are a sea of Titaniums floating out there in the used market

KBB = fantasyworld (albeit data-derived)... it’s a guide, but in the end it’s about as useful as Consumer Reports (which, to me, is not very useful beyond top-line / obvious info)... you’ll see a ton of ‘15 Escapes advertised around $18k... but few are leaving the lot anywhere near that price IMHO

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
I think that you are going to take a 5k hit probably no matter what. I assume you paid near retail. Retail to wholesale plus five month of depreciation. Carmax buys cars. Go see what they will give you and see if the dealer was fair. People buy cheap cars and pickups on Craigslist. Being a common car autotrader etc could take a long time and you will still have to price to sell.

Seller beware. I’ve listed cars on Facebook, Craigslist, autotrader, and other sites over the past year. Every one of the listings generated inquiries that were people trying to scam me. Just a heads up.

Seller beware. I’ve listed cars on Facebook, Craigslist, autotrader, and other sites over the past year. Every one of the listings generated inquiries that were people trying to scam me. Just a heads up.
I would actually be interested to see details of a few of the scams if you care to share. I've never sold a car to a stranger and I was thinking about dumping one using one of the sites, but have always been wary of getting scammed.

The best luck I've had is parking the car in a busy lot at a store or an area where a lot of people drive by. I wax it up and detail it. So far, so good. I've also used eBay and CarGurus but to guy, not sell. I've never had a problem. I use Cars.com and the rest to see what the asking price is. You can go in and filter your search in great detail and see what similar cars are getting. that is a good car to sell, very updated and very versatile. Great college or young family car.

U r welcome. I just did a search on Car Gurus in a 75 mile radius from my home, 45-55 K miles, Titanium 4wd and the results show ASKING prices between and $16,982 and $20,795 for 8 vehicles. And most (possibly all) of these are certified pre owned from dealers.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=236332718

You may have to re-enter the filters I had on mileage.

I believe it's just like advertising to sell on Amazon or CL - i.e. if you want to actually get responses you really have to be competitive on price. Usually the lowest or nearly the lowest. So if I were in your shoes I would list it for the low 16's and be willing to take the low 15's if an interested party was negotiating hard against me. And if there is no timely interest you could lower the price to the $15's or take the dealer's offer....

And it seems that the dealer, knowing the car and possibly knowing you, has offered about as good an offer as any dealer would do. As someone above has mentioned, you could ask your dealer, or other dealers, if they would sell it on consignment.

Sold my Motorhome last fall solely via Facebook Marketplace... unlike Craigslist - the ability to access the profile of those who inquire allows one to sniff out a potential scammer pretty quickly ...

Reactions: 81b&w
U r welcome. I just did a search on Car Gurus in a 75 mile radius from my home, 45-55 K miles, Titanium 4wd and the results show ASKING prices between and $16,982 and $20,795 for 8 vehicles. And most (possibly all) of these are certified pre owned from dealers.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=236332718

You may have to re-enter the filters I had on mileage.

I believe it's just like advertising to sell on Amazon or CL - i.e. if you want to actually get responses you really have to be competitive on price. Usually the lowest or nearly the lowest. So if I were in your shoes I would list it for the low 16's and be willing to take the low 15's if an interested party was negotiating hard against me. And if there is no timely interest you could lower the price to the $15's or take the dealer's offer....

And it seems that the dealer, knowing the car and possibly knowing you, has offered about as good an offer as any dealer would do. As someone above has mentioned, you could ask your dealer, or other dealers, if they would sell it on consignment.
Thank you! willing to wait. We may end up keeping the car and helping with payment once in a while if needed.
She was driving from Camp Hill area to Carlisle(works for PEPSI) in a Cabrio.
Car was not reliable, so she purchased the Escape and 4 months later she got a promotion and really wanted to go to NYC for a while. Bad timing.

Thank you! willing to wait. We may end up keeping the car and helping with payment once in a while if needed.
She was driving from Camp Hill area to Carlisle(works for PEPSI) in a Cabrio.
Car was not reliable, so she purchased the Escape and 4 months later she got a promotion and really wanted to go to NYC for a while. Bad timing.

Ha! Sounds like another PSU campus-hire heading to PepsiCo HQ in Westchester County

Unless I retire soon - there’s a chance I’ll be reporting to your daughter ;)

Good luck!

Just started in White Plains

She must be very good to get tapped by PepsiCo HQ ... I liken it to being called up to the Majors from AAA

Overall I’m very impressed with the level of aptitude / talent of the campus-hires... the good ones are crazy-excellent in meetings/large presentations....

no shortage of Penn Staters in this company

I don't understand people. I've sold a few things of moderate value on craigslist. People apparently just like to email you to see if the item is available, and then drop off the face of the planet. For every serious person who would respond, I would get 10 just checking to see if it's still available.

I've sold a car using Nextdoor (social media tool for neighborhoods). As mentioned earlier, the best part of this and similar approaches is that you see the profile information for anyone that is interested so you are not likely to get scammed. Their marketplace capability is a great area of the site.

Sometimes you can get a decent offer from Carmax and the process is quick and easy.

I don't understand people. I've sold a few things of moderate value on craigslist. People apparently just like to email you to see if the item is available, and then drop off the face of the planet. For every serious person who would respond, I would get 10 just checking to see if it's still available.

Yeah - some of those are bots that aggregate valid email addresses.... i’d never respond to those inquiries

Sell?!? Just get one of those really, really good insurance policies and have it suffer an "accident."

Reactions: AvgUser
I would actually be interested to see details of a few of the scams if you care to share. I've never sold a car to a stranger and I was thinking about dumping one using one of the sites, but have always been wary of getting scammed.

First, beware of people who respond to your ad shortly after you post it. They were the ones who attempted their scam. One person tried to get me to go to a bogus website to get a background check on the vehicle. Don't click on any links they send you. It's an attempt to get shit downloaded to your device.

One guy asked if I would accept a cashiers check for the vehicle, site unseen. yeah, right.

Had people with west coast phone numbers who wanted to see the car. I'm in PA.

If I think of any others I'll post them here.

Reactions: JWB389
First, beware of people who respond to your ad shortly after you post it. They were the ones who attempted their scam. One person tried to get me to go to a bogus website to get a background check on the vehicle. Don't click on any links they send you. It's an attempt to get shit downloaded to your device.

One guy asked if I would accept a cashiers check for the vehicle, site unseen. yeah, right.

Had people with west coast phone numbers who wanted to see the car. I'm in PA.

If I think of any others I'll post them here.
Thanks. Don't know why, but I was thinking they would be more sophisticated.

Not sure how that would work on craigslist, because they don't ever see your real email address.

My experience with Craigslist is that while a SELLER is cloaked... inquiries from potential buyers are not, regardless if via text or email... i could be mistaken...

these clowns are paid for ever email / cell#

There are tons of people, from Craigslist, who will lowball, which is quite annoying. Ultimately did get the right offer, though.

Craigslist certainly works, but you get a lot more dopes in my opinion. You must pay to use one of the car selling sites, but in my experience you typically get emails from people who are actually interested. I had a car listed on Craigslist for a while and the requests were crazy. One gal wanted me to take the car to her mechanic to inspect without even coming to look at it. In retrospect she must have been running some sort of scam with the guy at the garage to get business.

Don’t be scared of Craigslist, but certainly have your bull crap meter turned up to 11 with some of these folks

There are tons of people, from Craigslist, who will lowball, which is quite annoying. Ultimately did get the right offer, though.

When I was selling my motorhome on Facebook Marketplace - i was not immune from the whackjobs lobbing ridiculous low-ball offers sight-unseen... typically I won’t even reply, but a couple times I’d ask them to tell me exactly what they saw (mind you - they never saw it in person) that they did not like or disappointed with to substantiate / elicit such a low offer... knowing there was not enough brain-wattage there to get a response (other than an expletive)... overall, seem to get fewer of these with Marketplace vs C-list

I just looked it up at auction it's worth 15k to a reseller, if it has the 2.0 motor. Tell them you want 15k, or sell it for 17k to a buyer. That's what it's worth, if you get more you win!!

I just looked it up at auction it's worth 15k to a reseller, if it has the 2.0 motor. Tell them you want 15k, or sell it for 17k to a buyer. That's what it's worth, if you get more you win!!

No way a reseller is gonna pop at $15k unless it’s got 60lbs of Titanium in the back
Would be fortunate to get $14-15k in a private transaction....

My experience with Craigslist is that while a SELLER is cloaked... inquiries from potential buyers are not, regardless if via text or email... i could be mistaken...

these clowns are paid for ever email / cell#

So that was my point, that as a seller, my email cloaked, so there is no need for people/bots to reply to get my email address. I think it's just human behavior. I was complaining about it one day at work, and one of the millennials said "Oh, I do that all the time". He said he sees something, gets excited about it, sends an email, then forgets about it.

squirrel.jpg

Reactions: 91Joe95
I have a car for sale currently on Autotrader, which I've used successfully several times in the past. Last week had a scammer who wanted to meet up to look at the car only after I got a VIN verification report from a site they linked. As I didn't recognize the site (and wouldn't click it), I replied that they are welcome to use Carfax but it's on them (and you would want a verification to be if you were going to buy a car), and I didn't hear anything more from them. Obviously a scam to get me to put my credit card info on their bogus site. 2012 A4 is still available for who wants it!

Out of the Box Thinking.........

Look into TURO or HyreCar.

They are the "AirBnB" of cars. You basically list your car for hire and someone else comes and picks it up and drives it for a day, week, etc.
I have not done this but have seen on TV that it is catching on.
May make enough to cover her insurance and monthly payment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT