ADVERTISEMENT

Car accident, not at fault- how to calculate diminished value

republion

Mar 24, 2009
I have a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited with 58K miles in great shape that sustained some good front end damage when someone cut in front of me. Front and side airbags deployed and caused around $10,000 in damage. They fixed it and the at fault insurance paid for repairs. However, I'm now trying to collect diminished value. They are putting the burden of proof on me to determine it, and will decide based on my proof if they will pay it. Any suggestions on how to do it, and what might a fair diminished value be? The car looks and drives just as it did prior to the accident. FYI- there are a ton of websites out there that claim to give you formulas, but they are all pretty vague. I'm looking for responses from people in the biz or who have had experience with this. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited with 58K miles in great shape that sustained some good front end damage when someone cut in front of me. Front and side airbags deployed and caused around $10,000 in damage. They fixed it and the at fault insurance paid for repairs. However, I'm now trying to collect diminished value. They are putting the burden of proof on me to determine it, and will decide based on my proof if they will pay it. Any suggestions on how to do it, and what might a fair diminished value be? The car looks and drives just as it did prior to the accident. FYI- there are a ton of websites out there that claim to give you formulas, but they are all pretty vague. I'm looking for responses from people in the biz or who have had experience with this. Thanks.
take to a dealership, tell them you are thinking about selling your car to them and ask for an evaluation and a price, use that to show any diminished value vs a 'blue book' value.
may want to get 2 or 3 estimates, and hey if you like their prices, sell it to them!

I had a brand new car (less than 3 months old) and got hit in a parking lot when I was parked. More cosmetic damage than anything but I was able to get paid the diminished value in addition to the repair costs. the body shop is who told me what to do - and I basically when to Carfax and got an appraisal for the cost and they also provided a "blue book value" of what the car would have been worth without being hit.

I forget if Carfax did the appraisal for free or if I submitted that to the insurance as well.

Reactions: republion
I didn't even know you could do this. Are their professionals who can issue some report on this? Maybe the auto body shop you took it to can recommend someone?

I am more impressed that someone with "repub" in their board name actually drives the ultimate leftist gasoline powered vehicle - a Subaru.
Yes, this is a thing. And YES, a "republic" has a Subaru. I also have my NRA and Don't Tread stickers on it. lol

Reactions: bison13
take to a dealership, tell them you are thinking about selling your car to them and ask for an evaluation and a price, use that to show any diminished value vs a 'blue book' value.
may want to get 2 or 3 estimates, and hey if you like their prices, sell it to them!
Good info. Thanks.

I had a brand new car (less than 3 months old) and got hit in a parking lot when I was parked. More cosmetic damage than anything but I was able to get paid the diminished value in addition to the repair costs. the body shop is who told me what to do - and I basically when to Carfax and got an appraisal for the cost and they also provided a "blue book value" of what the car would have been worth without being hit.

I forget if Carfax did the appraisal for free or if I submitted that to the insurance as well.
Thanks! I have a CarMax near, so maybe I'll take it to them.

Maybe it was CarMax, actually. I know it was a physically place that does appraisals and buys used cars.
Yes, Car FAX is the online place that does vehicle history reports. CarMAX is the place that sells and buys cars.

First, read up about the requirements in your state. You're probably going to need a valuation by a certified appraiser to have a good chance of prevailing.

I would get a car appraiser at dealer (you've got to know someone who will do it for free) to give you a signed appraisal as is after the accident and as would be without the accident. Get it on their letterhead. Depending on which state you are in, you may need two appraisals.

No dealership will go on record for a diminished value statement. They have no interest in being in a middle of a lawsuit. I went through all this a few years ago. My wife’s brand new Jeep Cherokee had over $10,000 in damages from another driver. The insurance adjuster laughed and said if you can get someone to tell me the diminished value, I will take that into account. Unfortunately your going to have to hire a lawyer and go after the individual personally. After all that damage, her jeep was a nightmare. Long story short, I’m hiring a lawyer next time.

Ask your insurance agent to find out how your company does this estimate and if possible to do the estimate for you.

I didn't even know you could do this. Are their professionals who can issue some report on this? Maybe the auto body shop you took it to can recommend someone?

I am more impressed that someone with "repub" in their board name actually drives the ultimate leftist gasoline powered vehicle - a Subaru.
Dang, and I thought it was from:

re: loanword from Latin meaning "again" or "again and again"
pub: shortened version of public house, or tavern

As in republion is a Nittany Lion that goes to the tavern every day, and twice on Sunday

• Haha
First, read up about the requirements in your state. You're probably going to need a valuation by a certified appraiser to have a good chance of prevailing.
This is good advice as some states only allow diminished value for structural damages vs. cosmetic.

Good approach. But try Carvana first. Dealers will low-ball you.

Now you do have a 3-4 month window, before it shows up on the accident reports. That was what the auto body people to told me, that fixed my wife’s vehicle. Option B, trade it before it shows up.

Now you do have a 3-4 month window, before it shows up on the accident reports. That was what the auto body people to told me, that fixed my wife’s vehicle. Option B, trade it before it shows up.

Option b is a dick move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT