ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Beating the dead horse - NFL ratings down 13 percent

How is the NFL embracing gangster culture? Seems like they are trying pretty hard to do the opposite, especially with domestic violence. The NFL "gangsters" are all coming from colleges, so how is college football any different?

Maybe now, but a few years ago, less so.

Ray Rice beats his wife in the elevator - slap on the wrist.
Video emerges showing the same Ray Rice beating his wife - booted.

So the release of a video, and not the actual act of beating his wife got Rice booted. Things like that.

Reactions: odshowtime
How is the NFL embracing gangster culture? Seems like they are trying pretty hard to do the opposite, especially with domestic violence. The NFL "gangsters" are all coming from colleges, so how is college football any different?

Biggest difference is penalties in college are - in many ways - much stiffer. Guys rarely get a second chance in college. In the pros - well - you tend to get a lot. College coaches have way more discretionary power than the NFL Commissioner. If Pryor or that Oklahoma RB Mixon played for Paterno at Penn State, they're likely kicked off the team for their behavior.

The other thing is the money. Rice and Elliott and others make millions of dollars - these college kids don't. It's disgusting to watch the NFL hand out suspensions for assault and battery.

maybe the NCAA hides it better. EZ Elliot testified he used coke and other drugs while at tOSU. How could this not show up in his testing?

Biggest difference is penalties in college are - in many ways - much stiffer. Guys rarely get a second chance in college. In the pros - well - you tend to get a lot. College coaches have way more discretionary power than the NFL Commissioner. If Pryor or that Oklahoma RB Mixon played for Paterno at Penn State, they're likely kicked off the team for their behavior.

The other thing is the money. Rice and Elliott and others make millions of dollars - these college kids don't. It's disgusting to watch the NFL hand out suspensions for assault and battery.
I'm not sure how your response proves that the NFL is embracing gangster culture.
But responding anyway, college kids do get second chances. Maybe they get booted from their school, but there is another one waiting to take them. I can't think of any examples (I'm sure there are a few), where a kid has been completely banished from playing college football. Your Joe Mixon example isn't helping your point. That guy should have not played again. Maybe the PSU's would boot him, but there are plenty of OU's that won't

Why is it disgusting to see the NFL hand out suspensions for assault and battery?

As far as ratings go yesterday, one answer is obvious to me. Great weather in the midwest, west and northeast. Who's going to stay in and watch the NFL? Folks in the southeast were without power or running from Irma. I can't imagine why the ratings would be down.

Guess I'm alone. I still love the NFL and watch a ton of it.

There's just a lot more options for entertainment now, nothing is maintaining the same levels of viewership. Just look at what a top rated TV show earned in ratings 20 years ago compared to today. It's a different world.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
For me, it's the product on the field. I liked it when these freakishly big guys smashed each other into the earth. Now they are taking that out of the game. Defenseless receivers? WTF?!? Now the D has to let the receiver catch the ball and establish a defendable position before they can make a big hit to try and separate the ball from them. Oh, I get it, it's for the players safety. But here's the rub... I don't care about the players safety.

These guys are suppose to be modern day gladiators. I say let them drug themselves up as much as they want to increase speed, bulk, and size- and let them crush each other. They'll get paid handsomely for it. Oh suuuuure, their life after football is wrecked or very short lived, but I don't care about their longterm future, I care about my short term entertainment. Besides, the players make good money so their families are taken care of, right? And what more does a man need to do than provide for his family? Job well done, fine sir!

As for the players? The ones who actually survive the blood bath- they become legends, like the Roman Gladiators of ancient times. Only the strong survive.

Put the women and children to bed and go looking for f'ing dinner, alright?

f1634165-4a63-49b5-9ffe-5765c5e3ab20_screenshot.jpg

Reactions: TenerHallTerror

There's just a lot more options for entertainment now, nothing is maintaining the same levels of viewership. Just look at what a top rated TV show earned in ratings 20 years ago compared to today. It's a different world.
I just enjoy football. I guess I just don't see the marked distinction between college and pro. They are both great in their own way.

Reactions: wbcincy
I am someone that chose not to return to PSU after 2011. I didn't like the way PSU handled themselves and won't give them any more money. I thought I would miss going to games but I am 6 seasons removed from attending a game and haven't missed it at all. I still watch bits and pieces on TV and still hope for good results for the team but I am no longer invested.

NFL is about the same to me. I watch some but not all games. I still hope for good results from the team I "cheer" for but if I miss a game I don't really care.

I'm not sure how your response proves that the NFL is embracing gangster culture.
But responding anyway, college kids do get second chances. Maybe they get booted from their school, but there is another one waiting to take them. I can't think of any examples (I'm sure there are a few), where a kid has been completely banished from playing college football. Your Joe Mixon example isn't helping your point. That guy should have not played again. Maybe the PSU's would boot him, but there are plenty of OU's that won't

Why is it disgusting to see the NFL hand out suspensions for assault and battery?

To be clear, I meant they embrace a 'morally ambiguous' culture - not necessarily 'gang' culture. Assault and battery shouldn't be rewarded with a paid vacation from the game. Boot them for a year first offense, then forever next time. Just my suggestion.

Reactions: wbcincy
I like the NFL still, but quite frankly, I watch less of it than I used to. But I also watch less College football, baseball, and basketball. Too many other things to do and watch, especially with the weather nice.

Lets not be blind here- College football has a LOT of issues to that make it less inviting to watch. The NCAA is overall a joke. And those gangsters in the NFL, you know where they came from right?

To be clear, I meant they embrace a 'morally ambiguous' culture - not necessarily 'gang' culture. Assault and battery shouldn't be rewarded with a paid vacation from the game. Boot them for a year first offense, then forever next time. Just my suggestion.

Getting a paid vacation when getting caught committing assault & battery is not gang culture. If anything, that is closer to police culture.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
. Assault and battery shouldn't be rewarded with a paid vacation from the game. Boot them for a year first offense, then forever next time. Just my suggestion.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure players don't get paid for suspended games, and they are fined as well. So, that will cost hundreds of thousands to millions for suspended players.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure players don't get paid for suspended games, and they are fined as well. So, that will cost hundreds of thousands to millions for suspended players.

Sorry - you're right; they do not get their paycheck for the week if they are suspended. I still do not believe that is a stiff enough penalty for knocking out a woman.

I always love these threads when people almost seem happy that the ratings for the NFL are down. Last year the NFL started slow but rebounded the last two months and was basically on par or in some cases slightly better than 2015 (which was the best season for ratings in over ten years).

The last time the NFL did anything meaningful for television was the draft and the first round was the highest rated thing on television (an increase over last year), which included NBA playoff games. Preseason numbers were up this season from last year.

The Thursday game was way down this year but 2.3 million people also decided to watch the weather channel and many others were watching CNN, Fox etc. And way down means just under 22 million people watched it compared to just over 25 million who watched the opening game last year. To put that in perspective the top two watched college football games so far this year totaled just over 20 million viewers.

So, anyhow, you certainly aren't alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT