ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Beating the dead horse - NFL ratings down 13 percent

For me it was the embracing of a gangster culture that tuned me out. .
How is the NFL embracing gangster culture? Seems like they are trying pretty hard to do the opposite, especially with domestic violence. The NFL "gangsters" are all coming from colleges, so how is college football any different?

CFB is also turning into a horrible product.. I love CFB, but games are way too long.

I have never understood this thought as far as watching on TV. Even if you go to a game, would shaving 20 minutes from the game part of the day put a significant dent in the time you need to allocate? It is only a 12 game season for pete's sake.

Reactions: Sharkies
Had this discussion with my Brother-in-law the other day. IMO there are several reasons including those that have already been mentioned.
  • Level of play seems bad overall.
  • Too many penalties.
  • Too much parity. League is better when the Cowboys, Giants, Steelers, 49ers, etc are elite.
  • Games are on too many nights. Monday night football means a lot less now. Thursdays night football should not be a thing until maybe the last few weeks. Same with Sunday night. Doesn't feel special watching the Monday night game anymore.
  • Players are not staying teams as long.
I'm and Eagles "fan" and I really don't care if they win or lose that much anymore.

I feel CFB is so much better and I enjoy it more.

I have never understood this thought as far as watching on TV. Even if you go to a game, would shaving 20 minutes from the game part of the day put a significant dent in the time you need to allocate? It is only a 12 game season for pete's sake.

It would if those were 20 minutes less I didn't have to sit in a cold rainy stadium. ;)

Had this discussion with my Brother-in-law the other day. IMO there are several reasons including those that have already been mentioned.
  • Too many penalties.
  • Too much parity. League is better when the Cowboys, Giants, Steelers, 49ers, etc are elite.
  • Games are on too many nights. Monday night football means a lot less now. Thursdays night football should not be a thing until maybe the last few weeks. Same with Sunday night. Doesn't feel special watching the Monday night game anymore.
I'm and Eagles "fan" and I really don't care if they win or lose that much anymore.

Man but as an Eagles fan you have to be excited about Wentz. He looks fantastic and I say that as a Steeler fan. So you know it has to be true. LOL.

• Too many penalties.

The NFL has added games that it broadcasts. Monday Night Football may be down 18% from peak, but you have to add in Sunday Night Football and Thursday Night Football. So, overall NFL football viewing & ad revenue is probably near an all time high.

When I turned on the TV, the two games were Browns and Eagles. Both teams with protestors, so I didn't watch.

When I turned on the TV, the two games were Browns and Eagles. Both teams with protestors, so I didn't watch.

would it shock you that BLM and Shaun King have organized protests against the NFL as well BECAUSE Kaepernick doesn't have a job?

Umm every article out there says ABC was thrilled with FSU-Alabama ratings. They might be half of the NFL but for CFB it was a homerun:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/alabama-fsu-scores-big-ratings/GYu5nfB8FqizpfnbNb4T6J/
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...-state-highlights-monster-weekend-tv-ratings/

I never said the ratings were bad - just that compared to the NFL, college football - even with two of the best teams in the country playing, couldn't do half of what the NFL does (and considers a poor showing). So, the stuff about the NFL is dying is a bit premature - but, something *is* happening.

The longer it goes on it's going to be harder and harder for people to blame Kaepernick. There is something pretty big going on.

I DVR'd the Eagles game yesterday. Started late, zapped commercials till I caught up with real time. Then went off and did some chores, came back and zapped commercials. It's incredible, the actual net football in a 3 hour broadcast is like 15 minutes.

I can see why the NFL is really struggling with people under 30. They just aren't patient enough to sit through 5 minutes of commercials and waiting around for a 5 second burst of action. And a lot of times the 5 second burst of action is a flat pass for a 2 yard gain. Or an incomplete pass. Or a run into the middle of the line.

It's just not that exciting. People just watch the highlights and digests now. Live games are excruciating.

People have been predicting that the NFL was killing the golden goose by enlarging the commercial windows for 30 years and shrinking the actual play time while adding video review. Now it's happening.

I never thought I would say this, but I've actually started to become a fan of soccer and the EPL. For the exact reasons you just stated. The games are very quick, under two hours. The clock is always running and there is constant play. In and out and I am entertained in the process. CFB and the NFL need to take a lesson.

Man but as an Eagles fan you have to be excited about Wentz. He looks fantastic and I say that as a Steeler fan. So you know it has to be true. LOL.
I like Wentz. Great guy. Likable. Elusive in the pocket. He's a good QB that still has some ways to go before I label him fantastic.

Reactions: BBrown
I heard the Cleveland PD say they wouldn't hold the flag/colors because of protests. Did that end up happening?

they said that. then the owner of the Browns called together reps from the team and reps from the police to sit down and talk. they did. with open minds. and they agreed on a plan to build better police/community relationships.

friggin communists!!

they said that. then the owner of the Browns called together reps from the team and reps from the police to sit down and talk. they did. with open minds. and they agreed on a plan to build better police/community relationships.

friggin communists!!

Anyone else think it's weird that sporting events are such hot beds of patriotism? Why not sing the National Anthem with colleagues in the office before the work day starts? Or before a movie starts (which they actually do on military bases)? Or before each meal?

Anyone else think it's weird that sporting events are such hot beds of patriotism? Why not sing the National Anthem with colleagues in the office before the work day starts? Or before a movie starts (which they actually do on military bases)? Or before each meal?

I've seen no proof that the National Anthem or Pledge of Allegiance instill any more patriotism than a model in a flag bikini.

I've seen no proof that the National Anthem or Pledge of Allegiance instill any more patriotism than a model in a flag bikini.

It doesn't. And half the folks here wouldn't enlist in the military unless forced. Ah well...

jessica-simpson-american-flag-stars-stripes-bikini-398x560.jpeg

Hank Aaron won't watch the NFL

from the liberal rag Fox News: LINK
Is this not a reason to try to stay out of politics as an entertainer or business? Because either way you're going to be flanked from either side. It's a lot easier to not take a position, or at least try to mitigate that flanking by taking positive only positions.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
2848"]When I turned on the TV, the two games were Browns and Eagles. Both teams with protestors, so I didn't watch.

Wow did you see what the Browns players did? That was freaking awesome. Maybe you should have stuck around for another 10 seconds.:rolleyes:
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/09/browns_players_run_out_of_tunn.html[/QUOTE]

IMHO, too little too late. Did they discuss the tweet their starting RB tweeted out then deleted right after the protest? You know, the one with a hooded guy holding a gun to a cop's head? They kind of made that go away.

My guess is that the police and firemen's union got a nice payday from the Browns. A week before, the unions decided to not take part.

I won't watch a second of the Browns until they announce no more protests on the field of play.

Reactions: SmithtonLion
Is this not a reason to try to stay out of politics as an entertainer or business? Because either way you're going to be flanked from either side. It's a lot easier to not take a position, or at least try to mitigate that flanking by taking positive only positions.

If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice

Wow did you see what the Browns players did? That was freaking awesome. Maybe you should have stuck around for another 10 seconds.:rolleyes:
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/09/browns_players_run_out_of_tunn.html

IMHO, too little too late. Did they discuss the tweet their starting RB tweeted out then deleted right after the protest? You know, the one with a hooded guy holding a gun to a cop's head? They kind of made that go away.

My guess is that the police and firemen's union got a nice payday from the Browns. A week before, the unions decided to not take part.

I won't watch a second of the Browns until they announce no more protests on the field of play.

Oh - suuuuurrrreee!!!! You know it's because this is the team that drafted both Brady Quinn and Johnny Manziel.

Anymore there are expectations from customers/fans for you to take a side. If you want to see a pro in this regard follow Taylor Swift - she has a lot to say until it's about something divisive. She understands economics better than most in her field.

Anymore there are expectations from customers/fans for you to take a side. If you want to see a pro in this regard follow Taylor Swift - she has a lot to say until it's about something divisive. She understands economics better than most in her field.
Very true and I love that about her. Well, that is also bc I think she knows that the loudest among her fans/followers might not like everything she thought, or at least everything her dad/family friends from Wyomissing think in the political arena. Speaking from knowing them personally.

Ratings are down for numerous reasons. But the biggest reason, by far, is that the NFL is not a good product. The games are boring. The commercials are endless, as are the flags. There is zero atmosphere for most games and the teams/owners absolutely gouge their fans. At the end of the day, people aren't stupid. If they are no longer having fun, and if they feel they aren't getting value for money, they will find something else to do.

Personally I haven't cared about the NFL for years now, and whenever I do try to watch, I find that I simply can't. This league has somehow managed to take the greatest football players in the world and create a game that is absolutely dreadful to watch.

Wentz and Roethlisberger have a great deal in common. Both incredibly athletic for their size and tough, mentally and physically. Wentz has a long way to go in understanding the game, but so far so good.

Very true and I love that about her. Well, that is also bc I think she knows that the loudest among her fans/followers might not like everything she thought, or at least everything her dad/family friends from Wyomissing think in the political arena. Speaking from knowing them personally.

Will likely catch up with her at some point, but she always has country to fall back on.

Ratings are down for numerous reasons. But the biggest reason, by far, is that the NFL is not a good product. The games are boring. The commercials are endless, as are the flags. There is zero atmosphere for most games and the teams/owners absolutely gouge their fans. At the end of the day, people aren't stupid. If they are no longer having fun, and if they feel they aren't getting value for money, they will find something else to do.

Personally I haven't cared about the NFL for years now, and whenever I do try to watch, I find that I simply can't. This league has somehow managed to take the greatest football players in the world and create a game that is absolutely dreadful to watch.

I agree with this. There is no ONE reason that fans are leaving the NFL, there are many as discussed in this thread. And many of the issues did not all of a sudden happen this year, they have been around in some fashion for a while, but people kept watching. But the product on the field has gotten to the point where the little things that annoy people now add up to enough to turn the game off. And as people turn the game off, they also find that they don't miss it. Now combine that with the under 30 generation caring almost nothing about football (or pro sports in general) compared to their predecessors and there is no new fans to replace the old fans that are leaving. So ratings are dropping.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT