ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Are supplements like Airborne and Emergen-C effective in preventing colds and flus? *

Vitamin D might help. There are peer - reviewed publications on this. However, taking massive doses of this vitamin will provide no benefit and will actually harm you.
The optimum amount is around 20 mcg a day as a steady dose, according to the publications.
You can get this from many foods or in items where it is added ( Orange Juice, some dairy ). It occurs naturally at higher amounts in fish, especially salmon and mackerel.
It is thought that this vitamin optimizes immune response and was shown to significantly reduce respiratory symptoms associated with the common cold and flu. UV exposure ( 320 nm ) is also involved in its creation and 5 - 30 minutes a day between 10 and 3 can get you this, depending on your skin tone.

I typically take a multi-vitamin everyday when I go to bed at night. My Doctor once told me that people often develop colds when they are sleeping because their bodies and immune systems shut down to rest. I do think the multi-vitamin helps to reduce my risk in getting the common cold. Other than the occasional sinus infection, I usually have pretty good health. When I do feel that rare common cold come on, I do take dayquil or nyquil and that seems to shut down the cold pretty quickly.

French soldier: “I don’t want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal-food-trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.”

They boost placebo effect for sure. And maybe that's worth 4 bucks a bottle or whatever it is. If you think you're protected against Coronavirus, even if it's an incorrect belief, maybe there's benefit in that. Kind of like wearing a mask when you go out -- it probably won't help but for some people at least they feel protected.

They do not.

However, if you are not getting enough vitamin C in your normal diet, taking some might return your system "to normal" which might help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zenophile
Another one here as a Zicam Truther once the symptoms set in.
And we all know the one sure way to clean up culture.
formula-409-77771764.jpg

#Truther

I'm a big believer in Zicam and Airborne supplements ... I don't even care if it's placebo effect, I take both at first hint of a cold and it almost always shuts it down.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
I have OCD with my hand sanitizer, I put it on all the time. I haven't had a cold in 7 years, so I know it works. Sure I look silly, but I always feel good.

Maybe, I have used C with great success after a few muscle tears and it drastically reduced my healing time, but it was a very high dose in each case, app 20-40g . Maybe 50-100 times over the RDA. Now this was a very specific situation. Otherwise I take a g a day along with other things and seem to seldom get sick.

Half teaspoon of baking soda twice a day when I had the flu helped me alot. Apparently viruses hate baking soda, so theres some promise using that if I ever get coronavirus as well. Though I still had extreme tiredness and muscle stiffness and didnt like getting out of bed for roughly 4 days. But otherwise my flu symptoms were manageable.

I add an Airborne every morning to my normal intake of vitamins, and I do this from November 1st to March 31st. I would like to believe it helps my immune system but I cannot say for sure since I had pneumonia two years ago, the flu last year and this year a terrible cold. Right now I'm feeling great and hoping to make it into April without a hiccup.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Half teaspoon of baking soda twice a day when I had the flu helped me alot. Apparently viruses hate baking soda, so theres some promise using that if I ever get coronavirus as well. Though I still had extreme tiredness and muscle stiffness and didnt like getting out of bed for roughly 4 days. But otherwise my flu symptoms were manageable.
There is something to what I call guerrilla medicine, that one fellow whose name escapes me wrote a little about it. The four hour work week guy? The key is, don't hurt yourself, and know yourself. Buyer beware so to speak.
But I've done some wacky, but well thought out things in emergency situations. Duct tape made a nice heel lock wrap when I was out mountain biking for example. The mega doses of C cut down my healing time for a pec tear.
Regular use of various antioxidants might or might not have enhanced my health, but I spend less on them than say bourbon which we know can kill. So I'll hedge my bets that it might do some good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT