ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Advice for a beginner fly fisherman

TCFA-Nit

Sep 9, 2004
Hey all,

I have been fishing for years, mostly for bass, but this Christmas my dad got me a decent starter fly kit and I'd like to give this a shot.

I live right near the Wissahickon, right outside of Philly, so finding a place won't be an issue. My bigger concern obviously is just figuring out what the hell I'm doing. I haven't tried to cast a fly rod since I was kid and that didn't go well!

Basically, any advice you can provide would be appreciated -- learning to cast, which flies to use, good spots to fish along the Wissy or anywhere else. Also, is it worth it to try and get out there this winter? I figure it would be good to get used to the rod before the spring season opens but I don't want to be out there unless there may be some holdover trout left, or anything else really that might bite on a fly.

Thanks in advance.

Get a good rod, it's more important than a high quality reel. It helps if you have somebody personally show you how to cast but if you've been fishing a long time you'll pick it up in a short time and the rest will be fine tuning your presentation on the water. A lot of the fun is figuring it out on your own. The key is letting the line load, remember you're casting line, not bait anymore. Start out in your yard or a ball field if you don't have a place with no trees around to practice.

If you don't already know them, you'll want to learn two new knots, the barrel knot and the nail knot. Joe Humphries videos will help you greatly in knots and many other aspects of the game.

There are many aspects and ways to fly fish. I only fish dry flies, and I know I'm missing out not fishing wets and nymphs but it's good enough for me. If you learn those other types of fly fishing that I'm too lazy to learn, you'll be a more successful fisherman without a doubt but even fishing dries you'll get skunked far less than you used to. You can get as technical and "finessed" as you like but you don't have to be a pro at it to be successful. You'll become an amateur entomologist by default as well.

Try fly fishing for bass, it's a lot of fun. Also, youtube will come in quite handy, especially the lessons on how to tie the leader to the main line.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Most fly shops offer classes on flycasting and basic flyfishing skills. If you're having problems that might be the route to take. They also can tell you what to use at a particular time of the year.
Ask questions, most flyguys are pretty open to helping a beginner on the stream.
Don't get frustrated, everybody hooks a tree or pops off a fly.

If you are interested in lessons, my son and I took beginner lessons at The Sporting Gentleman in Glen Mills. They have a private, stocked stream on the premises. The 101 class is all etymology, what you need to know about the equipment, etc. The 102 class is casting and actually putting the line in the water and catching some fish.

http://www.sportinggentleman.com

Being from Western PA, I can’t speak much about fishing around the Philly area but I can suggest a video on fly casting. It’s an older video, but is a great resource when is fisherman wants to learn how to cast a fly rod. Google “ Secrets of Fly casting by Jim Green”. Once you get on the water, learn how to nymph. 90% of a trout’s diet comes from under the surface. Also, contact the TCO Flyshop that is closer to you. There’s one in Reading and one in Haverford. They’re great people and will be able to put you on the right path to successful fly fishing.

I would find a friend who fly fishes or take lessons as others have suggested. Watch others when fishing. Most are approchable to talk to, especially if you don't run up and fish right next to them. Hell, you may even pick up a couple flies along with some advice.

I used to practice casting in my yard with an old fly I cut the hook point off of.

It requires a great deal of patience. But its also a ton of fun.

Learn to fish all types of flies. Dry fly fishing is my favorite, but i catch most of my fish on wet flies and nymphs.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
Hey all,

I have been fishing for years, mostly for bass, but this Christmas my dad got me a decent starter fly kit and I'd like to give this a shot.

I live right near the Wissahickon, right outside of Philly, so finding a place won't be an issue. My bigger concern obviously is just figuring out what the hell I'm doing. I haven't tried to cast a fly rod since I was kid and that didn't go well!

Basically, any advice you can provide would be appreciated -- learning to cast, which flies to use, good spots to fish along the Wissy or anywhere else. Also, is it worth it to try and get out there this winter? I figure it would be good to get used to the rod before the spring season opens but I don't want to be out there unless there may be some holdover trout left, or anything else really that might bite on a fly.

Thanks in advance.

As suggested, take a lesson or three. If you can’t cast, it can be very frustrating. I remember hooking myself in the back of the ear onetime. Also, when you get the casting down, consult your local flyshop as to what is hatching and what you should be using. Wrong fly equals no fish.

Lot of good points in this post.
Thank you. I never took lessons on fly fishing. I learned dry fly fishing and my cousin learned nymphing. We then taught each other. I learned a lot by just watching and talking to other fly fishermen.

I now tie all my flies and some for family and friends, which I did take lessons for before the days of YouTube. I'm at the point where I give more advice than I ask for, and give more flies than I receive.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
The one poster is correct a rod is more important than a reel, keep that in mind! I have been fly fishing for a long time, since I was a kid(grew up in a family with an uncle who was a fly fishing/elk hunting guide in Wyoming, and a pap that was the Lost Creek Trout Club President for 20+ yrs) The easiest method to learn is Straight Line Nymphing. You'll need to get some nymphs/streamers and some small small split shot and a nymphing leader, or some leader material to make your own knotted leaders, which isn't as hard as it sounds. This method uses short cast that are easier to control than the long casts of dry fly fishing, plus if there are fish feeding on top, there are more fish feeding subsurface! You'll need some current to drift a nymph, not your typical slow moving dry fly water, and you need to get your nymph on the bottom, that's where the split shot come in. If you've ever dead drifted live bait, that's exactly what you want to do with your bugs. Make a short cast upstream, and try to bounce your bug off the bottom as long as you can, then when your drift is down below, just lift your rod, and cast your bug/bugs back upstream, and repeat your drift. There is very little "casting" involved, and like I said before, there are more fish feeding below the water surface, than on top! Once you get these short casts down, then move on to longer casts. You can get on youtube and watch all kinds of videos on any type of fly fishing, but most beginners I teach, we start with straight line nymphing because it's the easiest. I live 45 mins from the catch and release section of Penns Creek, in between Poe Paddy State Park and the town of Weikert, and have taken many beginners over there, and most of the time we were successful. Good luck. Keep it simple.

When I got into the sport there was no internet and very few videos available. There is now a tremendous amount of helpful information out there.
As far as equipment, don’t get too hung up on it. If you have a basic outfit start from any of the respectable makers, start with that. Unless you get into some really demanding fishing like needing to make 40 foot plus casts in clear water, it isn’t that important.
I would go against some of the advice here and advise starting out with dry flies instead of sunken flies. That way you can better see what your casts are doing and get the overall idea. Panfish and bass are not a bad way to start, as well.

If you are ever in northeast Iowa.... look me up. Incredible cold water trout streams and most are only a 10 - 20 feet wide. I know a lot of very good streams and holes. The good thing about Iowa is trout fishing is all year around (cold water streams never freeze over in the winter). You're gonna figure out the fly types on your own :)

C1dFEV.jpg

Hey all,

Thanks in advance.
Buy a bass boat and use that fly rod for a push pole to get into those really shallow areas. ;)

give more flies than I receive.

I got a chuckle out of this post because it's so true. I've gotten more free fly tackle from people over the years, it's unbelievable. I have five fly rods now, some are relics but three are in great shape and suitable for daily use, and one (my first one, an Orvis Green Mt) I actually bought. Had an uncle-in-law who built rods for fun and built me a beautiful 7 1/2 footer. Other people find out you fly fish and just want to give you stuff! It's true.

"Here Vic, I know you fly fish, and we were cleaning out Dad's garage so here's a vice and a bunch of necks and oh, you can have these two rods and this old reel too. Oh and here's a book on tying and here's a big giant box of flies." It's great how generous feather-flingers and their people are with advice and gear.

Lots of good advice here already.

I'll just say this...take a lesson. Then practice. When you sick and tired of practicing, practice some more. I used a bit of cotton tied to the end of my leader to practice in the yard. Very light and easy to see.

The toughest part of the transition from bait to line casting is understanding line load. That's purely a 'feel' thing that you can only obtain through practice and experience.

Then you get to the stream and find out that mending is a super important skill. You have to be in the water to learn to mend. And you'll need an instructor to help you with the concept initially.

Tight lines!

Hey all,

Thanks in advance.
Watch thw movie “A River Runs Through It”. All you need to know, there’s a zen to it that you need to vibe into

I got a chuckle out of this post because it's so true. I've gotten more free fly tackle from people over the years, it's unbelievable. I have five fly rods now, some are relics but three are in great shape and suitable for daily use, and one (my first one, an Orvis Green Mt) I actually bought. Had an uncle-in-law who built rods for fun and built me a beautiful 7 1/2 footer. Other people find out you fly fish and just want to give you stuff! It's true.

"Here Vic, I know you fly fish, and we were cleaning out Dad's garage so here's a vice and a bunch of necks and oh, you can have these two rods and this old reel too. Oh and here's a book on tying and here's a big giant box of flies." It's great how generous feather-flingers and their people are with advice and gear.
I've never been given rods, just flies and various tying supplies. I had a guy give me a half dozen flies he tied once. He gave me one that I put in my box, then asked why I wasnt going to use it. I explained that I wanted it as a pattern and I was afraid of losing it. He gave me a bunch more so I could use them and have at least one as a pattern. I always appreciated the generosity of fly fishermen. Whether it be through advice or giving me flies out both. I try to repay that by helping others as best I can.

Find a farm pond with NO TREES around it. Practice casting a lot. It will be even more fun if you do it when the bluegill and crappie are spawning and hitting the bugs on the surface (usually late April thru May). Once this is accomplished, then head for the tree lined streams.

Yeah, trees are very bad for the beginner. Good advice.

I fly fished for Trout about 4 years while in SE PA. It's hard at first. The fish are actually pretty smart. As my one friend said, "they know it isn't food."

Keys: Have to match the hatch. Otherwise, they will look right past it. Be patient. It's sometimes hard to get to the right spot at the right time... And when you do, you will most certainly find the trees.

Up by the hatchery in Allentown on the Little Lehigh, your best pattern is that of a green pellet.... lol.... Not kidding.

My brother set me up with a fly tying course sponsored by Trout Unlimited. Turned out tying a fly isn't really that hard. Just need time and materials.

Learn from a Penn State legend.

That's no joke! Joe Humphrey is the best caster that I've ever seen! My brother and I went to a seminar 18 years ago, at the Carlisle Fair Grounds, and he blew my mind! He started off showing videos of tight stream presentation, and then he took us outside and showed us what he had videoed! It was impressive! He did the bow cast, the roll cast, and then some crazy sidewinder type of cast, that was rediculous! Anything that guy says, try it, he knows what he's doing!

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I wish I would have gotten his mentor's signature when I was there, George Harveys, but the line was crazy long! He passed not to many years later! Humphrey had alot of good stories of them fishing Penns, Spring, and Fishing Creeks together back in the 70's and 80's!

Took The fly tying/fishing course taught by Joe Humphreys when I was at PSU as a phys ed credit. My favorite PSU course

I wish I would have gotten his mentor's signature when I was there, George Harveys, but the line was crazy long! He passed not to many years later! Humphrey had alot of good stories of them fishing Penns, Spring, and Fishing Creeks together back in the 70's and 80's!

Look at my avatar, Joe and George with flies tied by George, signature card framed below the flies. I did a larger shadowbox with a bigger pic of the two and flies tied by each with sig cards. It was for the One Fy tournament on Spruce Creek years back, of which the proceeds went to the Centre County Youth Service Bureau. Sold for $2350, I was pretty proud and happy with that

Watch thw movie “A River Runs Through It”. All you need to know, there’s a zen to it that you need to vibe into

Thanks for the memory. When I first saw that movie, and every time since, it reminded me of my father who was long since deceased when it came out.

He put a fly rod in my hand when I was eight years old in the middle 1950's on Pine Creek in Tioga County. Then he began to teach me to tie flies when I was about twelve. It was something about me losing too many of his flies, I remember thinking while watching the movie that every piece of advice in the film was something he said to me at some point in my life in just about the same words and purpose . Shortly after seeing the film I took a trip back to Pine Creek and sat along the stream at the head of the Canyon for about three hours just reviewing some memories. Then I got up, waded out midstream and fished with my Dad again.

Tonight I have been thinking about Pine Creek, Asaph Run, Four Mile, Slate Run, the Beaverkill and dozens of other places, and lots of great days on the water, and some friends that are no longer alive . Thanks again.

Gents -- thanks so much for all of your replies and advice. I am hoping to head to the Loch Alsh Reservoir tomorrow to get some casts in. I'll throw out some minnows or corn on my traditional gear while I try working on casting with the new fly gear. There may not be any trout left but there are hardly any trees and based on your advice that's the perfect place to start. Thanks again, all.

Clinton Co. Fishing Creek (there are several, I know of three in different counties but there are probably more) yielded at least two state records, one I believe Joe Humphries held for awhile, the state record brown. It's since been surpassed but the story I heard was he caught it at 2 or 3 AM or something like that, and he knew it was there. He was a good scout of his craft, like hunters I know who can recognize individual deer and differentiate among them in certain areas. Maybe the story I was told was BS but that's what I heard. The same stream produced the current state record brookie. I would love to know what behemoths lurk in Spring Creek after so many years of no harvest.

Which brings me to the question of how much effort you want to put into it. Personally, I can't see too well at dusk, which for me unfortunately, is when a lot of the big hatches come off, specifically the green drake. When I can't tell where my fly is exactly and it's almost dark and my eyes ain't what they used to be, trout are sipping off the top everywhere and I end up just guessing and trying to lift when I think I had one take it and it was right next to it, easy to lift everything out of the water and get hung up on something in the dark which is beyond my patience for it. You can be the warrior that goes out in the dark after them and you'll do well but not for me. But that's what makes it such a great sport. You get out of it what you put into it, like anything else. But what I get out of it is enough for me.

Clinton Co. Fishing Creek (there are several, I know of three in different counties but there are probably more) yielded at least two state records, one I believe Joe Humphries held for awhile, the state record brown. It's since been surpassed but the story I heard was he caught it at 2 or 3 AM or something like that, and he knew it was there. He was a good scout of his craft, like hunters I know who can recognize individual deer and differentiate among them in certain areas. Maybe the story I was told was BS but that's what I heard. The same stream produced the current state record brookie. I would love to know what behemoths lurk in Spring Creek after so many years of no harvest.

Which brings me to the question of how much effort you want to put into it. Personally, I can't see too well at dusk, which for me unfortunately, is when a lot of the big hatches come off, specifically the green drake. When I can't tell where my fly is exactly and it's almost dark and my eyes ain't what they used to be, trout are sipping off the top everywhere and I end up just guessing and trying to lift when I think I had one take it and it was right next to it, easy to lift everything out of the water and get hung up on something in the dark which is beyond my patience for it. You can be the warrior that goes out in the dark after them and you'll do well but not for me. But that's what makes it such a great sport. You get out of it what you put into it, like anything else. But what I get out of it is enough for me.
I fished Spring Creek for a couple months almost every day when I stayed in state college for work one year. I was just starting to get into fly-fishing, so I fished minnows a lot. The fish I caught we're just ridiculous. I had 2 trout snap 6 pound test and landed numerous fish over 20 inches. I watched a guy land a trout so big maybe a third of it fit into his net. If you are curious enough, bet you can find a stream survey report on the pfbc website.

I find it hard to fish low light conditions, and I have great eyesight. I'll typically use a large bright colored dry as an indicator and watch it. I will then run a dry or 2 off the back of it. It's not perfect, but it helps.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Hey all,

Thanks in advance.
Buy a bass boat and use that fly rod for a push pole to get into those really shallow areas. ;)

As a dude that tossed a fly for 30 years and then went on to hunting/learning bronze back fishing, I appreciate this post. (But i secretly miss my 4w)

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Much excellent advice here and I will add my own. Take one lesson and the principals of casting, pick a species (but not shad) and go for it for a year.

Take a second lesson on roll casting, etc.

The science can be easily found in books (way I learned) and I guess YouTube.

It is a great sport/hobby and the learning curve is not as bad as you think!

I fished Spring Creek for a couple months almost every day when I stayed in state college for work one year. I was just starting to get into fly-fishing, so I fished minnows a lot. The fish I caught we're just ridiculous. I had 2 trout snap 6 pound test and landed numerous fish over 20 inches. I watched a guy land a trout so big maybe a third of it fit into his net. If you are curious enough, bet you can find a stream survey report on the pfbc website.

I find it hard to fish low light conditions, and I have great eyesight. I'll typically use a large bright colored dry as an indicator and watch it. I will then run a dry or 2 off the back of it. It's not perfect, but it helps.

I have no doubt. I caught some of the biggest trout I ever saw, let alone caught, on Spring. Nothing like you describe but when fish after fish is 14, 15, and not hard to catch it tells you all you need to know. I saw an old photo of Joe with his then-record brown and it resembled something in size akin to a medium range alligator (exaggerating, but it was absurd). I find these huge record fish interesting and love the stories but I'm just as happy with anything as long as I'm getting action. I figure I'm doing a decent job and after I harass 3 or 4, I'm ready to hat up. They'll be there another day.

That's another thing, the crazy idea that a creek is "fished out." No, they're not. Any survey of an approved stream would probably floor most of the general fishing public. I had a friend who liked to fish Bald Eagle Cr. and we hit that many evenings and did well when some bait store guy said it was fished out and we were wasting our time. The creek is 55 miles long. Just stop.

As a dude that tossed a fly for 30 years and then went on to hunting/learning bronze back fishing, I appreciate this post. (But i secretly miss my 4w)
Catching 6 pound smallies at the 1000 Islands made me quit hunting. Addicted.

Can't mention famous Penn State Flyfisherman without Charlie Meck and Greg Hoover. Both have contributed a ton to the sport. We really are FlyFishingU

Practice, practice, practice. I stand at the end of my dock and throw for hours catching bluegills. Lots of fun.

I remember my dad talking about taking a fly fishing class at PSU back in the late 50's. He was my teacher.

I have no doubt. I caught some of the biggest trout I ever saw, let alone caught, on Spring. Nothing like you describe but when fish after fish is 14, 15, and not hard to catch it tells you all you need to know. I saw an old photo of Joe with his then-record brown and it resembled something in size akin to a medium range alligator (exaggerating, but it was absurd). I find these huge record fish interesting and love the stories but I'm just as happy with anything as long as I'm getting action. I figure I'm doing a decent job and after I harass 3 or 4, I'm ready to hat up. They'll be there another day.

That's another thing, the crazy idea that a creek is "fished out." No, they're not. Any survey of an approved stream would probably floor most of the general fishing public. I had a friend who liked to fish Bald Eagle Cr. and we hit that many evenings and did well when some bait store guy said it was fished out and we were wasting our time. The creek is 55 miles long. Just stop.
I always found it funny as well when someone said a stream was fished out. Unless it's truly a fish and take stream, and the trout die of thermal or other issues I don't think you can fish a stream out.

As someone who does some stream shocking surveys, I can tell you that I have been surprised as to how many fish a stream can hold. There were times when we couldn't net them fast enough.

Can't mention famous Penn State Flyfisherman without Charlie Meck and Greg Hoover. Both have contributed a ton to the sport. We really are FlyFishingU
It helps when you have several world class trout streams within a couple hours drive. Not to mention Spring Creek is in PSUs backyard.

Reactions: 81b&w
Hey all,

Thanks in advance.

Stick to spin-casting.

It is cheaper and easier.

And, you're a not looked upon as some kind of eccentric snob!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT