ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 World Cup Thread

Looking at the replay of the Ronaldo goal (the only one of the game) it seemed as if a Portugal guy took out two defenders as the ball went by him to Ronaldo. I know it gets rough during corners but I thought it should have been waved off.

Anyone see the goal against Poland when the let the injured player return with little notification and he scores an immediate goal?

He's on the sideline and gets ready to return. With nobody within thirty yards the side official raised his hand and let's the guy enter with no defender on that side of the pitch. They pass out to the dude and he scores. Game ends 2-1. For those that know the rules, thoughts?

Anyone see the goal against Poland when the let the injured player return with little notification and he scores an immediate goal?

He's on the sideline and gets ready to return. With nobody within thirty yards the side official raised his hand and let's the guy enter with no defender on that side of the pitch. They pass out to the dude and he scores. Game ends 2-1. For those that know the rules, thoughts?

It’s within the discretion of the referee when to allow the player on. Terrible decision. That should be the last Cup game the center referee does.

It's not that uncommon for them to get waived right back in. Poland made a horrible back pass so that is on them. Had they controlled the ball or knocked it all the way back to the keeper instead of floating it over the center back...no goal. Watch it again and you'll see a terrible pass there.

Reactions: LionJim
It's not that uncommon for them to get waived right back in. Poland made a horrible back pass so that is on them. Had they controlled the ball or knocked it all the way back to the keeper instead of floating it over the center back...no goal. Watch it again and you'll see a terrible pass there.

I don't see how one could expect the ref to forsee what Poland was going to do. Blaming this on the officials is horse crap.

I don't see how one could expect the ref to forsee what Poland was going to do. Blaming this on the officials is horse crap.
"What the player does" shouldn't have any bearing, IMHO. To me, its like saying the umpire should give boarder line calls to a better pitcher. As I understand it, the injured player should be allowed back on the field when his immediate presence will not have a material affect on the game. Poland had no idea he was entering the game and because of a poor backpass, had an unimpeded path to the goal. The two announcers stated that they had never seen anything like it.

Reactions: Dr. Evel
"What the player does" shouldn't have any bearing, IMHO. To me, its like saying the umpire should give boarder line calls to a better pitcher. As I understand it, the injured player should be allowed back on the field when his immediate presence will not have a material affect on the game. Poland had no idea he was entering the game and because of a poor backpass, had an unimpeded path to the goal. The two announcers stated that they had never seen anything like it.
It's not the refs fault they muffed the pass so badly. The ball was in the middle of the field and not down in Senegal's end or while they were on a break. Poland muffed the pass.

Hey GLOV

35671638_1012010732290931_2388721030324551680_n.jpg

Alrighty, class, here's a quiz in how Group standings are determined. (I didn't know the answer myself.)

Portugal and Spain tied each other on Friday and each won their game today, 1-0. Spain holds the tiebreaker. Why?

Alrighty, class, here's a quiz in how Group standings are determined. (I didn't know the answer myself.)

Portugal and Spain tied each other on Friday and each won their game today, 1-0. Spain holds the tiebreaker. Why?

ill take a guess ... they held the lead longer in their tie??

I disagree, what made the pass bad was the Nigerian player attacking, had he not been there it would have been fine.

That was on the ref, however, it was also just really bad luck.

I disagree, what made the pass bad was the Nigerian player attacking, had he not been there it would have been fine.

That was on the ref, however, it was also just really bad luck.

In my opinion, he was left back in when the ball was well enough away to be of any issue. How was the Ref supposed to know that the Poles would be booting the ball that far back AFTER the player was allowed back on?

In my opinion, he was left back in when the ball was well enough away to be of any issue. How was the Ref supposed to know that the Poles would be booting the ball that far back AFTER the player was allowed back on?
It's also a blind pass in the middle of the field by the Polish player. He puts it 7 yards over his CB's head and 35 yards out from goal which is a no mans land for the goalie. They also waived him back on while the ball was being cleared from 30 yards outside the Senegal goal...it wasn't really a scoring chance at that point.

Horrible play by the Argentine keeper, gives away a goal. I cannot stand watching keepers trying to make cheeky little passes....costs them. 1-0 Croatia.

So to summarize today's matches:

Denmark - 1, Australia - 1
France - 1, Peru - 0
Argentina - 0, Croatia - 3

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT