ADVERTISEMENT

OSU will be in the CFP

Ok, so if OSU wins out and Wiscy wins out, then OSU beats Wiscy in a close game in the Big championship, you're saying Wiscy should go to the CFP and not OSU because Wiscy will have one loss and OSU will have two...right?

No Wisconsin would not get that same reasoning. They don't have nearly the schedule and losing the last game makes a difference

If the Buckeyes win out they are in the CFP according to 538 stats.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-college-football-predictions/

From USA Today:

Last weekend was always going to shake up the College Football Playoff picture. It's hard to avoid any changes at the top when three games match top 10 opponents.

The surprise was how easy Miami (Fla.), Oklahoma and Auburn all rolled to victories, and the disappointing showings of Georgia and Notre Dame that left the Bulldogs with no margin for error and the Irish likely headed to a New Year's Six bowl.

The Sooners and Ohio State ultimately ended up as the biggest beneficiaries of the crazy day by moving into the playoff field. They join projected SEC champion Alabama and ACC champion Clemson.

Oklahoma just needs to beat Kansas, West Virginia and its Big 12 title opponent to secure its spot. The Buckeyes likely squeak in as a two-loss Big Ten champion ahead of the one-loss Hurricanes, Wisconsin or a two-loss Pac-12 champion. Of course, a lot is still to happen with three weeks left in the season.

RE-RANK: Miami (Fla.), Auburn surge up rankings after big wins

PERFECT FIT: Richt has Miami (Fla.) back among elite in college football

TEN REASONS: Why Tennessee should try to rehire Lane Kiffin

For those keeping score, there are 39 bowls (78 totals spots), not counting the College Football Playoff championship game. Among the 128 schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision eligible for a bowl (Mississippi and Coastal Carolina are not), 59 teams have reached the required six wins. There are 24 teams already are eliminated with seven losses.

Reminder: Some conferences may not fulfill their bowl allotment. Asterisks denote a replacement pick.

636462501011763868-bowls.jpg
Yeah, so what! Just one outlet's opinion. Do you honestly think the committee is gonna invite OSU one more time when they were burned last year 31-0 , and now OSU-Iowa? OSU has clout but not that much.

Yeah, so what! Just one outlet's opinion. Do you honestly think the committee is gonna invite OSU one more time when they were burned last year 31-0 , and now OSU-Iowa? OSU has clout but not that much.

Yes. I do. Especially if Alabama wins out (knocks out Auburn & Georgia).
Oklahoma wins out (knock out TCU).
Miami wins out (knocks out Clemson).

Ohio State gets the Conference Championship data point over Notre Dame.
And the CFP takes the Big Ten Champ. At least that is what I have read.

As much as I hate them and as much as they don’t deserve to be in....I’m bracing myself from now that they’re in.

Truly bullshit if they get selected.

Not saying I'm smarter than the statisticians at 538, but, for the record, I did call this before they did...

If OSU gets in, they get brutalized AGAIN. In less than a year, Urbs has absorbed 3 serious beatdowns: 31-0 vs Clem, 38-13 vs OU, 55-24 vs Iowa.

I know the Clem loss was the only time Urbs has been shut out in his college coaching career. The other 2 have to be high on the list of bad losses in his entire career.

So, whether he gets in or not, he's kind of at a crossroads here. OSU is routinely named in the same breath as Bama, but they are not at all the same.

IF they get in, we get to watch Urby get a beatdown. The pain on his face will itself be a thing of great value.

Along those lines, the look on his face after SB ran back the opening kickoff was priceless. I believe a still or a gif of his face after that play would be something I would be happy to use as my sig for the rest of my time, until i change it to CJF hoisting the MNC trophy

Reactions: okinburg1
If OSU gets in, they get brutalized AGAIN. In less than a year, Urbs has absorbed 3 serious beatdowns: 31-0 vs Clem, 38-13 vs OU, 55-24 vs Iowa.

I know the Clem loss was the only time Urbs has been shut out in his college coaching career. The other 2 have to be high on the list of bad losses in his entire career.

So, whether he gets in or not, he's kind of at a crossroads here. OSU is routinely named in the same breath as Bama, but they are not at all the same.

IF they get in, we get to watch Urby get a beatdown. The pain on his face will itself be a thing of great value.

Along those lines, the look on his face after SB ran back the opening kickoff was priceless. I believe a still or a gif of his face after that play would be something I would be happy to use as my sig for the rest of my time, until i change it to CJF hoisting the MNC trophy
Or they can put it all together and win it all like in 2014. Good Lord I hope you’re right though.

Reactions: demlion
Or they can put it all together and win it all like in 2014. Good Lord I hope you’re right though.
Hey, don't go by me. I'm the guy who predicted 35-17 at Columbus. That was almost exactly the halftime score. JT Barrett DID NOT PLAY IN 14s improbable run as I recall.

There is no shortage of talent at OSU. They tend to believe the last thing said about them.

I’m really worried that the buckeyes may get blown out again if they make the CFP. I’d much rather play a good team in a fun bowl, win, and get to feel good until last year.

That said, I doubt they get in. I think they will if everyone wins out without upsets, but when does that ever happen? OSU has to take care of business against Michigan, and possibly Wisconsin, and that won’t be easy.

Penn State has had a really nice year. Like us, you aren’t happy if you aren’t in the CFP, which is a difficult goal. Your team has come very far very quickly, and sure looks like you will at least have a shot at the CFP every year for the foreseeable future!

One last thing — i’m shocked at the animosity between our fan bases, at least on this board. Both of our programs have amazing traditions, and we have a nice friendly rivalry. In my experience, Ohio State students respect Penn State. Yes, OSU has been more successful recently, so some jealousy is normal, but someday that will change. And hey, we both hate Michigan!

No Wisconsin would not get that same reasoning. They don't have nearly the schedule and losing the last game makes a difference
No, Wisconsin would not get the same reasoning because they're Wisconsin and not OSU, plain and simple. OSU fans were beating the one loss is better than two drum very loudly last year, but this year that doesn't apply. Ok, I get it. Also, many were beating the you can't get destroyed in a game drum last year because of our loss to UM, but this year that doesn't apply. This is exactly what the CFP system needs to gain credibility, no consistency at all. That'll win fans over.

Reactions: Mudge1026
I’m really worried that the buckeyes may get blown out again if they make the CFP. I’d much rather play a good team in a fun bowl, win, and get to feel good until last year.

That said, I doubt they get in. I think they will if everyone wins out without upsets, but when does that ever happen? OSU has to take care of business against Michigan, and possibly Wisconsin, and that won’t be easy.

Penn State has had a really nice year. Like us, you aren’t happy if you aren’t in the CFP, which is a difficult goal. Your team has come very far very quickly, and sure looks like you will at least have a shot at the CFP every year for the foreseeable future!

One last thing — i’m shocked at the animosity between our fan bases, at least on this board. Both of our programs have amazing traditions, and we have a nice friendly rivalry. In my experience, Ohio State students respect Penn State. Yes, OSU has been more successful recently, so some jealousy is normal, but someday that will change. And hey, we both hate Michigan!

giphy.gif

No, Wisconsin would not get the same reasoning because they're Wisconsin and not OSU, plain and simple. OSU fans were beating the one loss is better than two drum very loudly last year, but this year that doesn't apply. Ok, I get it. Also, many were beating the you can't get destroyed in a game drum last year because of our loss to UM, but this year that doesn't apply. This is exactly what the CFP system needs to gain credibility, no consistency at all. That'll win fans over.

False you're just ignoring facts and making stuff up for yourself as you go. Look at Ohio States schedule and wins last year it is lightyears ahead of Wisconsin in 2017. Also our loss was middle of the season on the road there's is going to be last game of the season neutral.
There is NOBODY

Hey, don't go by me. I'm the guy who predicted 35-17 at Columbus. That was almost exactly the halftime score. JT Barrett DID NOT PLAY IN 14s improbable run as I recall.

There is no shortage of talent at OSU. They tend to believe the last thing said about them.

Braxton Miller was injured just before the 2014 season started so Red-shirt freshman Barrett started the first 12 games going 11-1. Barrett was injured in the fourth quarter of the Michigan game so Cardale Jones started the Big Ten Champ game as well as the playoff games that year.

If Wisconsin wins out they will have wins against Michigan and Ohio State.
If Ohio State wins out they will have wins against Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin and Penn St.

Seems different to me.

False you're just ignoring facts and making stuff up for yourself as you go. Look at Ohio States schedule and wins last year it is lightyears ahead of Wisconsin in 2017. Also our loss was middle of the season on the road there's is going to be last game of the season neutral.
There is NOBODY
I'm making stuff up as I go huh? So I made up that OSU has two losses and Wisconsin will have one if they win out and lose to OSU in the championship? And I made up that OSU got blown out by Iowa? And PSU's loss to UM last year was early in the season, but they still got blasted for it. And OSU got blown out in their first loss as well. One blow out loss killed PSU, but two blownout losses won't hurt OSU. And in reply to your strength of schedule argument I will just say Washington last year and OSU in 2014. Schedule strength must go along with the "eye test".

If Wisconsin wins out they will have wins against Michigan and Ohio State.
If Ohio State wins out they will have wins against Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin and Penn St.

Seems different to me.
Two losses vs one loss....seems different to me. As Demlion posted...which one of Wiscy's wins was worse than either of OSU's losses?

IF the buckeye faithful coming on a PSU board behaved like The King Ad Buck there would be NO PROBLEM, but that hasn't happened. Oh how I wish I could read a montage of his posts, they make you feel better on a bad day.

As far at the 2014 "championship" for the buckeyes there was a game in State College PA that year that was so biased by the refs it was unbelievable.
The game should never have gone to overtime. OSU was gifted a field goal where the ball was not snapped until five seconds after the play clock expired. With the five yard penalty it would have been at or over 50 yards, improbable. Then we have the review where the review equipment "malfunctioned" only time it happened in the history of review and it worked flawlessly the remainder of the game. The Beaver Stadium video boards were showing the play, an obvious overturn of another buckeye gift but refs painstakingly avoided all view of the replays as the crowd sat in amazement and disgust. If your equipment malfunctions but you have other equipment that shows the information obviously why do you refuse to utilize it? The resulting gift turned into a touchdown. 10 points of gifts in a game that went to OT. So much for the MNC, a very sore spot although not the first buckeye gift at Beaver Stadium. I saw first hand the double bounce interception given to the buckeyes as two refs stared at the turf where the ball had dribbled prior to "the interception".

Yes the programs are both storied but one is accepted without any reservation in the conference and the other is treated like the red headed step child, or was for many years and was in 2017 when our conf. chief executive ignored the champion to promote the 2nd place Eastern Division place holder for the CFP. We seem to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the Big Ten.

Where OH where is the King Ad Buck?

You make a good point. However, I've been wanting to recharacterize the Oklahoma loss. It was not a blowout. Iowa WAS an embarrassing blowout to a mediocre team - inexcusable. But the Oklahoma loss was only (only, lol) 15 points and OSU led up until 2:00 from the end of the third quarter. Oklahoma is one of the top teams led by a strong Heisman contender. While OSU deserves to have the Iowa massacre held against them, the Oklahoma loss was just a loss to a really good team. I know I'm splitting hairs, but I imagine that's what the committee members do all day anyway.

"However, I've been wanting to recharacterize the Oklahoma loss. It was not a blowout." - spoken like a truly laughable duhO$U homer b1g DB! The only morons who think duhO$U wasn't blown-out @home by Oklahoma are moronic Suckeye homers - the rest of the world witnessed a clear late game blowout by OU and complete collapse by an over-rated duhO$U team @home your laughable "recharacterization" efforts notwithstanding.

Oklahoma had 600 yards of Total Offense in the game and Baker Mayfield threw for 386 Yards on 27 of 35 passing, threw for 3 TDs and 0 INTs (JT Barrett was 19 of 35 passing for 183 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT). LMAO, now duhO$U didn't get blown-out @home by Oklahoma because tyical b1g-fan Johnny DB homer-boy says so???? Pathetic.

IF the buckeye faithful coming on a PSU board behaved like The King Ad Buck there would be NO PROBLEM, but that hasn't happened. Oh how I wish I could read a montage of his posts, they make you feel better on a bad day.

As far at the 2014 "championship" for the buckeyes there was a game in State College PA that year that was so biased by the refs it was unbelievable.
The game should never have gone to overtime. OSU was gifted a field goal where the ball was not snapped until five seconds after the play clock expired. With the five yard penalty it would have been at or over 50 yards, improbable. Then we have the review where the review equipment "malfunctioned" only time it happened in the history of review and it worked flawlessly the remainder of the game. The Beaver Stadium video boards were showing the play, an obvious overturn of another buckeye gift but refs painstakingly avoided all view of the replays as the crowd sat in amazement and disgust. If your equipment malfunctions but you have other equipment that shows the information obviously why do you refuse to utilize it? The resulting gift turned into a touchdown. 10 points of gifts in a game that went to OT. So much for the MNC, a very sore spot although not the first buckeye gift at Beaver Stadium. I saw first hand the double bounce interception given to the buckeyes as two refs stared at the turf where the ball had dribbled prior to "the interception".

Yes the programs are both storied but one is accepted without any reservation in the conference and the other is treated like the red headed step child, or was for many years and was in 2017 when our conf. chief executive ignored the champion to promote the 2nd place Eastern Division place holder for the CFP. We seem to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the Big Ten.

Right, the Bucks won the 2014 college football championship because of their tainted win over Penn State, gifted to them by Delany’s officials. In fact, they made the CFP that year because of that and despite being blown out by Va. Tech early in the season.

But never mind, the “eye test” was not one of the “concepts” that mattered that year. The “concepts” change year to year, you see, and Hermanas, for one, is darn glad they do.

Not that I blame him. Hell, if the shoe were on the other foot, and we were on the right side of the politics, I’d be pleased as punch. Take it to the bank and be happy, that’s what I’d do. But for God’s sake, don’t come over here and pretend that the reality is anything other than what it obviously is.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT