ADVERTISEMENT

One of the best Greco matches ever

It was before my time(80s), but a truly awesome Greco Roman match. 😂

I was talking about this match on this forum just a few days ago. Banach is 3rd all time in NCAA points, behind only Cael and Steiber. A win in this match would have put 2nd all time (and 1st at the time) and only one point behind Cael. He had that much bonus.

6 NCAA titles, two Olympic golds and two world golds (both Mark’s on the Worlds) between these two.

Name me a better matchup other than Dake-Taylor.

I was talking about this match on this forum just a few days ago. Banach is 3rd all time in NCAA points, behind only Cael and Steiber. A win in this match would have put 2nd all time (and 1st at the time) and only one point behind Cael. He had that much bonus.

6 NCAA titles, two Olympic golds and two world golds (both Mark’s on the Worlds) between these two.

Name me a better matchup other than Dake-Taylor.
That match was haymaker after haymaker, it's amazing how it contrasts to the sport of wrestling today in comparison.

Reactions: mhlarch and mcpat
It was before my time(80s), but a truly awesome Greco Roman match. 😂

What a tremendous bout......never saw this one before....wow! Battle of the Titans! Matches like that would definitely lift the sport of wrestling. How did they keep going? Thanks for sharing this video!

Sorry to digress......I can't remember when I attended (I think 1978 or 1979), but I got to interact a bit with Ed and Lou at the Iowa 28 Day Intensive Camp in Iowa City and had no idea these guys would end up having the careers they did. Total beasts. I was more familiar with Dan Glenn, Randy Lewis, Bruce Kinseth, and Lenny Zalesky as they took a more active role in instructing at the camp. Glenn Robinson led those camps. Gable showed up to sign autographs a few times. Those were the glory years of the Hawkeye program....now is our time ;-) Regardless of all of that the Schultz brothers were totally amazing! Mark's performance here highlights that for sure.

Last edited:
What a tremendous bout......never saw this one before....wow! Battle of the Titans! Matches like that would definitely lift the sport of wrestling. How did they keep going? Thanks for sharing this video!

Sorry to digress......I can't remember when I attended (I think 1978 or 1979), but I got to interact a bit with Ed and Lou at the Iowa 28 Day Intensive Camp in Iowa City and had no idea these guys would end up having the careers they did. Total beasts. I was more familiar with Dan Glenn, Randy Lewis, Bruce Kinseth, and Lenny Zalesky as they took a more active role in instructing at the camp. Glenn Robinson led those camps. Gable showed up to sign autographs a few times. Those were the glory years of the Hawkeye program....now is our time ;-) Regardless of all of that the Schultz brothers were totally amazing! Mark's performance here highlights that for sure.
Randy Lewis was a complete animal.

Reactions: mhlarch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT