ADVERTISEMENT

Old TV shows--MASH - Barney Miller

Mace54

Feb 4, 2002
My wife and I never watched Breaking Bad when it was originally broadcast, but we've been recording and watching all the marathon episodes and we love it.
As a grade school aged kid I remember watching some of the old TV shows and really loving them. Some stations on DirecTV have been running marathons on them. MASH and Barney Miller have brought back some memories. Been recording every episode and watching them. Just watched the final episode of Barney Miller last night and it was classic. Been waiting for the final MASH episode but I don't think they will broadcast that because it was an hour and a half. I remember my dad (God rest his soul) bringing home a pizza some of those nights and the family sitting around watching these shows. Anyone else have any memories about these shows ?

My wife and I never watched Breaking Bad when it was originally broadcast, but we've been recording and watching all the marathon episodes and we love it.
As a grade school aged kid I remember watching some of the old TV shows and really loving them. Some stations on DirecTV have been running marathons on them. MASH and Barney Miller have brought back some memories. Been recording every episode and watching them. Just watched the final episode of Barney Miller last night and it was classic. Been waiting for the final MASH episode but I don't think they will broadcast that because it was an hour and a half. I remember my dad (God rest his soul) bringing home a pizza some of those nights and the family sitting around watching these shows. Anyone else have any memories about these shows ?

I was a big fan of both, still watch the MASH reruns and think they hold up very well.
Haven't seen any Barney Miller for a while but I remember the "Brownie" episode. LOL.
I"ll also add Taxi, not only was it very good but I think it might have either been on right before or after Barney Miller. Was Soap also on that night? Maybe Thursdays?
Soap does not get the credit it deserves, not only ground breaking but just flat out hysterical.

Reactions: Bob78
You need to get Netflix...you can watch all those shows and you don't have to wait for them to come on (like in the old days).

Speaking of old TV shows, I saw this morning that Jay Thomas, who played Eddie Lebec (Carla's flame on Cheers) just passed away.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
Speaking of old TV shows, I saw this morning that Jay Thomas, who played Eddie Lebec (Carla's flame on Cheers) just passed away.

I saw that. He was pretty funny on Cheers. He played Carla's husband or boyfriend.
Wasn't he killed off, on the show, when a zamboni ran over him as a mascot?

Any time Aunt Esther and Grady were on a Sanford and Son episode it was as funny as anything I have ever seen. Red Foxx was amazing is his night club routines as well.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
the crazy part about MASH is how it was all about doctors getting drunk. never fly in today's age. there was one episode I saw a few weeks ago where Hawkeye and Colonel Potter were up at an aid station near the front line helping out. When they are done, Clinger had packed them a bottle of whiskey which it shows them start to drink as they drive off, then they pan to later in the trip and both are drunk, swerving all around the road. Then they hear a shot and jump out of the jeep into the ditch on the side of the road. And then start shooting their pistols. So drunk driving and drunk shooting all in one episode.

Any show w/ hotscakes or Hank Kimball...

used to watch green acres, petticoat junction, beverly hillbillies and Gilligans island at 4:30 ish on tv after school. Recently, my sister and I (four years younger than me) were able to sing, in their entirety, the themes to Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligans Island and Green Acres. Odd how certain things stick.

MASH is a cross between the best show ever and the worst show ever. Funny for a couple of years, then became such a series of cheap, unfunny one-liners. Such a shame.

Good observation. It seemed that, in its later years, they made it a pun-fest for the comedy portion of the show. It became a little too preachy. Contrary to what one poster believed, I thought that BJ and Charles were quite funny when they had the appropriate foils.

I, personally, think it went downhill when Radar left. I also think that the show lasted about 2 years too long. They ran out of material for a war that took a couple of years.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
Barney Miller = Funny

Sanford & Son = Mostly Funny

Odd Couple = Funny

Asinine:

MASH

Happy Days

Laverne & Shirley

Cheers

Was it Wings?

So stupid somewhat funny:

Seinfeld

Green Acres was hilarious , i thought the Addams Family, and The Munsters were great.
Yeah they were silly but not a lot of deep thinking humor, just out there.

A subtle, but to me, very funny line from Barney Miller:

I think it was the Jack Soo character who made notoriously bad coffee for the station. Anyway, one time there was a prisoner who was released after quite a long stint in jail. Someone asked him what he missed the most, and he replied 'coffee'. So, they offered him a cup of the station coffee. He took a drink, made a face, and said 'Somehow I don't remember it tasting like this.'

M*A*S*H became quite unfunny sooner than you think... BJ Honeycutt character was a drain... let's not even talk about David Ogden Stiers...

Agree. Once Wayne Rogers left, it was over.

rs_1024x768-160101121013-1024.mash.cm.1116.jpg

Agree. Once Wayne Rogers left, it was over.

rs_1024x768-160101121013-1024.mash.cm.1116.jpg

I would disagree that it was over. As long as Frank Burns was there it still had some level of quality. But I will say that it dropped off exponentially with each departure of the original cast. Honeycutt wasn't as good as Trapper. Potter wasn't as good as Blake (though not bad, really). Burns and Winchester couldn't have been any further apart in terms of quality.

I would disagree that it was over. As long as Frank Burns was there it still had some level of quality. But I will say that it dropped off exponentially with each departure of the original cast. Honeycutt wasn't as good as Trapper. Potter wasn't as good as Blake (though not bad, really). Burns and Winchester couldn't have been any further apart in terms of quality.

Yes, I agree each replacement made things worse. And Frank's departure was the absolute death knell.

4ffba22d2efe43a680201bc6ec991e11--mash-tv-mash-.jpg

Comparing TV shows from different decades and eras is like comparing players and teams in such a way. You can't. You can only accurately compare them within their era.

As far as pure comedic moments from that era of situation comedies, The Thanksgiving episode of"WKRP in Cincinnati" where Les Nesman makes the apologetic claim, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly..." still makes me belly laugh.

Comparing TV shows from different decades and eras is like comparing players and teams in such a way. You can't. You can only accurately compare them within their era.

As far as pure comedic moments from that era of situation comedies, The Thanksgiving episode of"WKRP in Cincinnati" where Les Nesman makes the apologetic claim, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly..." still makes me belly laugh.
That was Mr. Carlson who said that, not Les.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT