ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State cancels football series with Washington

doctornick

Sep 4, 2007
Ohio State cancelled the upcoming series with Washington scheduled in 2024 and 2025. They still are playing Texas in 2025, so that's obviously solid but the 2024 is apparently now going to be all non-P5 and possibly 8 home games.

I'd love to see PSU jump in and pick up Washington in 2025 (home) and 2026 (away) if Washington were willing. We need to get out of the stupid Temple series in 2026/27 anyway and this would give us the chance to make those schedules decent.

Reactions: 1AA
Ohio State cancelled the upcoming series with Washington scheduled in 2024 and 2025. They still are playing Texas in 2025, so that's obviously solid but the 2024 is apparently now going to be all non-P5 and possibly 8 home games.

I'd love to see PSU jump in and pick up Washington in 2025 (home) and 2026 (away) if Washington were willing. We need to get out of the stupid Temple series in 2026/27 anyway and this would give us the chance to make those schedules decent.
Email Kraft. ;). I’d love to see Penn St start up a series with Washington. It’s a great road trip. The stadium is right on the water and a team that PSU hasn’t really played that much outside of a rare bowl game here and there.

Penn St needs to lose Temple’s number. That’s a matchup that needs to end.

Email Kraft. ;). I’d love to see Penn St start up a series with Washington. It’s a great road trip. The stadium is right on the water and a team that PSU hasn’t really played that much outside of a rare bowl game here and there.

Not to mention the opportunity to play in an area that has a lot of Samoan kids. Forget Temple and Pitt, so far as recruiting is concerned. They don't help us or hurt us.

Reactions: psu00

I don't. I fear Kalen DeBoer. Obviously so does Ryan Day. The last time DeBoer had an 11-2 season, he followed up by going 56-1 with 3 natties in the next four years.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Wish we could dump the WVU series…that serves no purpose.
I’ll take WVU over the rest of what PSU has scheduled for non con games.

2023- WVU, Delaware, UMass
2024- @ WVU, Bowling Green, Kent St
2025- Nevada, Villanova
2026- Marshall, @ Temple, San Jose St
2027- Syracuse, Delaware, Temple
2028- @ Syracuse

• Love
Reactions: step.eng69

2025- Nevada, Villanova
2028- @ Syracuse
It’s the way of the world these days…play cupcakes in the OOC….no sense taking an unnecessary loss.

Reactions: 84Lion

OSU going for an undefeated season leading to a CFP game in 2024 , look at Michigan's schedule in 2022. eight home games and easy road games and look here, a CFP game.

Reactions: 84Lion and bison13
It’s the way of the world these days…play cupcakes in the OOC….no sense taking an unnecessary loss.
Not really. There are always 2 cupcakes but there should always be 1 decent game. Upcoming OOC scheduled games for comparison-

Ohio St-
-Notre Dame, (dropped Washington), Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Oregon

Michigan-
-Texas, Oklahoma, Washington, Notre Dame

Wisconsin-
-Alabama, Notre Dame, Pitt, Utah, UCLA, Virginia Tech

Michigan State-
- Washington, Oregon, Notre Dame, BYU

Clemson-
- Georgia (4 games- 2 home/away series), Notre Dame (4 games scheduled as well), LSU, Oklahoma.

Texas-
-Alabama, Michigan, Ohio St, Georgia, Florida, Arizona State

Alabama-
- Texas, Wisconsin, Florida State, West Virginia, Oklahoma St, Notre Dame, Minnesota, Virginia Tech.

Florida State-
-Florida (yearly), Notre Dame (4 games- 2 home/away series), LSU, Georgia, Alabama.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 19333lion
That’s what this is about. It is clearing the schedule for the expanded B2G conference. And easing up on OQOC heavy weights with a harder conference schedule.
Could be. Last I heard the rest of us won’t hear about future schedules until the Fall.

2025- Nevada, Villanova

2027- Syracuse, Delaware, TempNol

2028- @ Syracuse

No Lycoming or Slippery Rock?

Reactions: Waltwam
Not really. There are always 2 cupcakes but there should always be 1 decent game. Upcoming OOC scheduled games for comparison-

Ohio St-
-Notre Dame, (dropped Washington), Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Oregon

Michigan-
-Texas, Oklahoma, Washington, Notre Dame

Wisconsin-
-Alabama, Notre Dame, Pitt, Utah, UCLA, Virginia Tech

Michigan State-
- Washington, Oregon, Notre Dame, BYU

Clemson-
- Georgia (4 games- 2 home/away series), Notre Dame (4 games scheduled as well), LSU, Oklahoma.

Texas-
-Alabama, Michigan, Ohio St, Georgia, Florida, Arizona State

Alabama-
- Texas, Wisconsin, Florida State, West Virginia, Oklahoma St, Notre Dame, Minnesota, Virginia Tech.

Florida State-
-Florida (yearly), Notre Dame (4 games- 2 home/away series), LSU, Georgia, Alabama.
It doesn’t matter who we schedule…if we beat them then they’re not good…don’t you read this board?

It doesn’t matter who we schedule…if we beat them then they’re not good…don’t you read this board?
This really isn’t about fan reactions. It’s about Penn State’s poor scheduling compared to others, (and I think it will matter when we eventually have an expanded playoff).

This really isn’t about fan reactions. It’s about Penn State’s poor scheduling compared to others, (and I think it will matter when we eventually have an expanded playoff).

Will depend who the designated rivals are and what the conference schedule looks like in any given year.

UGA's OOC schedule next year is an absolute joke and they're already virtually assured one of 4 playof spots. There is zero chance they'd finish outside of the top 12 (or top 11 accounting for a G5 school).

I've got 2 UW cousins who live in Seattle...Ballard and Bellevue. Would love to play them here and there. I had a flight booked to fly out for the UW vs Michigan game in 2020 but that didn't work out...thanks Covid

Will Washington be in the conference by then anyway?
No. If the wanted to add any PAC-12 schools, they would have done it already. I wouldn’t expect any additions until closer to the end of the ACC’s GOR.

Yeah but Washington University is also in Seattle, correct? No thanks. That city is a dumpster fire.

Reactions: PSUfiji
Will depend who the designated rivals are and what the conference schedule looks like in any given year.

UGA's OOC schedule next year is an absolute joke and they're already virtually assured one of 4 playof spots. There is zero chance they'd finish outside of the top 12 (or top 11 accounting for a G5 school).
True, the new schedules with additions to the SEC and Big Ten will have an affect. We’ll have to wait (until October?), to see what they’ll look like.

Yeah but Washington University is also in Seattle, correct? No thanks. That city is a dumpster fire.
It’s on the other side of the lake from downtown Seattle in a nice area (from what I could tell). I agree the city appears to have significantly gone downhill but it’s far enough from UDub and SeaTac.

No. If the wanted to add any PAC-12 schools, they would have done it already. I wouldn’t expect any additions until closer to the end of the ACC’s GOR.
The ACC GOR ends in 2036. I would expect the B1G to be at 20 members or more by 2026. The money is too large not to bring in additional west coast markets. We are on pause for the moment trying to replace Warren.

Reactions: NedFromYork

2025- Nevada, Villanova
2028- @ Syracuse
That’s disgusting. There should be at least one strong P5 team every year! With an expanding playoff why not. Season ticket holders should demand it. This is the ghost of Sandy at work or was it Franklion? Come on Krafty, toughen up.

Didn’t hurt Michigan the last two years. Colorado State, Hawaii and Connecticut last year….come on.

I don't think the weak OOC schedule really hurts when it comes to playoffs - remember that Washington got into the playoffs over us in 2016 despite their non-conference being terrible - but having weaker non-conference games is just less interesting for fans. And sucks for season ticket holders. Getting those interesting games every other year like Auburn or even WVU this year is cooler than just playing MAC or 1-AA teams.

That’s disgusting. There should be at least one strong P5 team every year! With an expanding playoff why not. Season ticket holders should demand it. This is the ghost of Sandy at work or was it Franklion? Come on Krafty, toughen up.

Seems like it was probably Sandy, but who knows. The Temple series is particularly terrible and I still can't believe we agreed to it. We need to buy that out already and replace it with a series with a real team. Heck, if you really want to play in Philly, arrange a neutral site kickoff game there against a good P5 opponent, don't play Temple.

Reactions: bison13
I don't think the weak OOC schedule really hurts when it comes to playoffs - remember that Washington got into the playoffs over us in 2016 despite their non-conference being terrible - but having weaker non-conference games is just less interesting for fans. And sucks for season ticket holders. Getting those interesting games every other year like Auburn or even WVU this year is cooler than just playing MAC or 1-AA teams.

Seems like it was probably Sandy, but who knows. The Temple series is particularly terrible and I still can't believe we agreed to it. We need to buy that out already and replace it with a series with a real team. Heck, if you really want to play in Philly, arrange a neutral site kickoff game there against a good P5 opponent, don't play Temple.
The game in Philly is about recruiting. Bring in a lot of people from Philly and S Jersey to see a real football team instead of Rutgers and………who?

And yes, the OOC schedule is less important when we will be playing more conference games with tougher teams. The one thing we should do is put one of the OOC cupcakes in Nov or late Oct as a semi bye week like the SEC does.

Reactions: bison13
The game in Philly is about recruiting. Bring in a lot of people from Philly and S Jersey to see a real football team instead of Rutgers and………who?

That's fine. Schedule a game there as a "neutral site" versus someone like VA Tech or Boston College or even Pitt. Don't waste a precious away game OOC slot on a crap team like Temple.

Didn’t hurt Michigan the last two years. Colorado State, Hawaii and Connecticut last year….come on.
We didn’t have an expanded playoff last year. We had a committee whose main selection focus was each team’s number of losses.

When the committee suddenly has to determine why at large team X gets in over team Y they’ll change the approach to more like the March Madness committees (determining who had better wins, more quad 1 wins, won on the road, etc.)

I have no problem scheduling teams such as Temple or Syracuse, if they are willing to play 2 games in State College and only 1 game on the road. These teams help pay the bills.

The home and home games should be for more competitive teams.

Last edited:
We didn’t have an expanded playoff last year. We had a committee whose main selection focus was each team’s number of losses.

When the committee suddenly has to determine why at large team X gets in over team Y they’ll change the approach to more like the March Madness committees (determining who had better wins, more quad 1 wins, won on the road, etc.)
Michigan made the four team playoff with that garbage schedule…I’m quite sure they would have made a 12 team playoff. If you go 12-0 or 11-1 in the Big, you’re making the 12 team playoff regardless of your OOC schedule. And if you’re in the East, you’re likely making it at 10-2. If you’re in the SEC or the Big 10 East, you just have to win to make it. There won’t be 12 P5 teams that finish 10-2, so likely any that do will make it. At 9-3 you might not, so playing tougher OOC games doesn’t make sense.

That’s what this is about. It is clearing the schedule for the expanded B2G conference. And easing up on OOC heavy weights with a harder conference schedule.
Exactly right. If you go to the Eleven Warriors site, it sounds like all B!G teams will be doing the same when UCLA and USC enter the conference. Basically, it sounds like OSU administration already has an inside track on who they'll be playing and it sounds like one of those two will be on the schedule.

Will Washington be in the conference by then anyway?
Something tells me that in addition to USC and UCLA, both Washington and Oregon will be joining the B1G. Those are 4 high quality athletic programs

Something tells me that in addition to USC and UCLA, both Washington and Oregon will be joining the B1G. Those are 4 high quality athletic programs
The conference prefers market expansion over any other quality (see md and ru), so I think an Arizona school would be in play as well for the Phoenix market.

The conference prefers market expansion over any other quality (see md and ru), so I think an Arizona school would be in play as well for the Phoenix market.
Good point. If - and a big if - they get the Phoenix market along with Seattle and Portland, they have the LA, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix markets which is HUGE money. Like them or not, the B1G is a money making machine and won't take a back seat to anyone with the markets out there

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT