ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Penn State picks up HUGE 2026 commitment from RB Messiah Mickens

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
Penn State has picked up an early major commitment from an elite in-state prospect 2026 running back Messiah Mickens announced his commitment to the Nittany Lions on Saturday evening.

While currently unrated here at Rivals, like all 2026 prospects, the Trinity High School standout will likely be one of the top-ranked running backs in the country once the initial 2026 rankings are released.

"It's like home down there," Mickens told Happy Valley Insider back in May after making an unofficial visit to Happy Valley. "They always treat me with care, making sure that my family is right, things like that," he added. When it came to what it would take for Penn State to land his commitment, Mickens said, "Just treat me like it's home down there."Just keep on recruiting me and things like that. Make sure my family feels welcome down there as well." It sounds like the Nittany Lions continued to do that over the last few months, landing his commitment on Saturday.

Notably, at the time of that previous interview, Mickens was expecting not to make a commitment till his junior year of high school. That process has certainly been sped up, as there are still 27 months until Mickens can officially sign with Penn State.

While Mickens is the first commitment of Penn State's 2026 recruiting class, he is not the only non-2024 prospect committed to the Nittany Lions. Penn State currently holds three 2025 commitments in OL Jaelyne Matthews, RB Kiandrea Barker, and DB Omari Gaines.

Mickens has a chance to be a special running back for the Nittany Lions, as he has a special mixture of power and speed. He's already well built at 5-foot-10 and 195 pounds. He shows elite speed and elusiveness as well, making him nearly unstoppable.

What do we know about him? Sophomore?
Sorry for the wait Dave. This is quite simply a huge commitment for Penn State. I think he is the best player in the 2026 recruiting class in the state of Pennsylvania and one of the top running back prospects in the entire country. He has the size, speed, elusiveness - he has it all. Huge pick up for Penn State.

Sorry for the wait Dave. This is quite simply a huge commitment for Penn State. I think he is the best player in the 2026 recruiting class in the state of Pennsylvania and one of the top running back prospects in the entire country. He has the size, speed, elusiveness - he has it all. Huge pick up for Penn State.

No worries. 13 minutes isn't long at all. Sounds great. Keep the best home!

Reactions: RickinDayton
27 months until he can sign? Nudge me in November 2025 so I can get excited. Nah, good commit, I just hope he stays committed!

Reactions: jmorovich
Just for perspective but another site which is the only to have 2026 ranked (that I could find) has him #30 in the country overall. He is a possible 5 star.

Good deal. Yeah, it's early, but this is a kid with a 5* offer sheet a year before most will rank him it seems. That's why I was curious about him as I don't usually start watching recruits until the previous class signs.

Reactions: Online Persona
Younger the better. It tells us he's competing with older talent and getting elite results. DOB is key.
Maybe.

Will he even be a RB in 3 years? We have OTs that were not that big as freshman?

Will the commitment stick?

Anyone know how he compares to the upcoming Sophomore RB from State High Sheffey? He started at a freshman last year

5'10" OT? Will any commitment stick?
200lb 14 year old. Has not even started 10th grade. What do you think he will weigh in 4 years? We have OTs that did not weigh 200lbs at 14.

Will any commit stick? What percentage of FRESHMAN commits stick vs juniors and seniors?

200lb 14 year old. Has not even started 10th grade. What do you think he will weigh in 4 years? We have OTs that did not weigh 200lbs at 14.

Will any commit stick? What percentage of FRESHMAN commits stick vs juniors and seniors?
My point is, what is the negative associated with this commitment? It's like being showered with $20 bills and bitching that they could have been $100s. We know the young man is free to go elsewhere, fail to improve, or God forbid, sustain a serious injury. PSU is also free to take it's offer back.
If this phenom committed to Alabama instead of PSU, you'd be whining that we let a potential generational talent slip away.....and his coaches are both alums.
If PSU got a commit from a 140lb 10th grade running back, you'd be saying he's too small.
Adolescent males hit growth spurts.....some early....some late. In my experience as a high school coach, I found it somewhat reliable to look at Mom, Dad and siblings.
I doubt that if he grows to 6-2 and 235lbs he will lose all of his skills.

Good deal. Yeah, it's early, but this is a kid with a 5* offer sheet a year before most will rank him it seems. That's why I was curious about him as I don't usually start watching recruits until the previous class signs.
This early the offer sheet is the most reliable source of evaluation. Looks like all the big boys are already impressed. Of course, we have some spectators that will find a hole in the bucket! LOL

My point is, what is the negative associated with this commitment? It's like being showered with $20 bills and bitching that they could have been $100s. We know the young man is free to go elsewhere, fail to improve, or God forbid, sustain a serious injury. PSU is also free to take it's offer back.
If this phenom committed to Alabama instead of PSU, you'd be whining that we let a potential generational talent slip away.....and his coaches are both alums.
If PSU got a commit from a 140lb 10th grade running back, you'd be saying he's too small.
Adolescent males hit growth spurts.....some early....some late. In my experience as a high school coach, I found it somewhat reliable to look at Mom, Dad and siblings.
Yep. You described Voltz perfectly.

Reactions: marshall23
Kid looks really good, makes good decisions and follows his blockers well!! Good speed too. Some things you just can't teach.

Doubt he loses all his skills at 235?? Let's test it. How about you put a 35 lb weight vest on and test your speed and agility numbers.

“One of the biggest compliments I’ve ever received came from Messiah Mickens and his dad. They basically explained that their reasoning for wanting to go to Penn State is because of their timearound me and Michael Mauti.

“His dad basically said that if he can have his son turn out similar to us, especially after learning how much Penn State had an effect on us, he wants his son to be part of that.”

– Jordan Hill following Messiah Mickens’ commitment to Penn State this weekend

Let's put on 35 lbs of lean muscle with proper weight training and maybe he's faster.
Correct. His body composition will improve with strength training and supervised nutrition program. All things considered...a larger muscle is a stronger muscle and a stronger muscle can enhance explosive movements.

Reactions: creamery freak
Correct. His body composition will improve with strength training and supervised nutrition program. All things considered...a larger muscle is a stronger muscle and a stronger muscle can enhance explosive movements.
Strength is the base. Power and explosive movement can be trained once strength is achieved. Hypertrophy of the muscle can be achieved with each but generally explosive movements aren't 100% correlated with hypertrophy.

Take a bodybuilder, a strongman competitor, and a running back for example. They aren't going to train the same. Neither is an OL and a DB.

Strength is the base. Power and explosive movement can be trained once strength is achieved. Hypertrophy of the muscle can be achieved with each but generally explosive movements aren't 100% correlated with hypertrophy.

Take a bodybuilder, a strongman competitor, and a running back for example. They aren't going to train the same. Neither is an OL and a DB.
I strategically bow out of discussing slow twitch-fast twitch muscle fibers and if their % is hereditary or should be trained specifically. I can however attest that I have empirical evidence that players I coached improved their 40 yard dash times significantly after being exposed to weight training.

I strategically bow out of discussing slow twitch-fast twitch muscle fibers and if their % is hereditary or should be trained specifically. I can however attest that I have empirical evidence that players I coached improved their 40 yard dash times significantly after being exposed to weight training.
I agree that most and especially young athletes do improve speed and agility with weight training. I was merely offering that specific training to the athletes' goals may result in more or less hypertrophy, strength, power, and explosive movement. And yes genetics absolutely plays a large role as well. So does diet.

For what it is worth, I think the poster you had been responding to about this has a completely unfounded and odd concern. Mickens is highly unlikely to grow out of RB and at most would be a LB if he did.

Reactions: marshall23
I think it's been very smart of CJF to play different backs and it shows in the draft, and these kids know that
Can't get too excited about a 15 year old 2026 recruit. Way too early to start over analyzing a HS sophomore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT