ADVERTISEMENT

Official Minnesota v Penn State game thread!

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
Lots of head-scratching offensive calls today but one that really irked me was the 2nd and 24 pass into the back corner of the end zone to someone who wasn't even open.

I assumed they would try to get about half back on 2nd down and then have two downs for 10-12 yards into the end zone. Way too hard to get into the end zone from 24 yards.

What you're noting here is totally characteristic of our philosophy on offense. And it's not necessary. We have the players to toss it 4 yards and have them run for the next 20. That is the most upsetting thing about what we do.

Reactions: ralphster
In response to KnightWhoSaysNit's post (I'd quote it but it is rather long, great post though), to my simple eyes, it seemed like Penn State took this game far less seriously than they should have and were not as well-prepared as they could have been. Given the talent available, I was disappointed that the coaches did not utilize it to the greatest extent possible.

IMO, an unnecessary loss and more fodder for the critics who don't give Penn State the "respect" that some in our fanbase think an 8-0 record should automatically be given.

Reactions: jroman1
our RB could have cut inside and walked in for a two point conversion

Watch it again. #41 is on the goal line -- to the right of Bowers -- while Slade is standing on the 6-7 yard line. Explain exactly how Slade "walks in." Is #41 a cheerleader?

Slade went left because there was no defender there at the time, but Bowers did not sustain his block. This is nothing new with respect to our open field blocking (i.e., for screens).

It is your observation skills -- bias against the players, with no consideration for the impact of poor coaching decisions -- that hurts your credibility.

Reactions: ftlpsu
That is the most upsetting thing about what we do.

We have some schematic issues for sure, but the ones that glare the most is our insistent inside running game with a stable of (healthy) RBs suited for outside running and our lack of a big WR who can high point a pass.

Of course, in the red zone, why do we ignore Friermuth? He was practically unstoppable today. He caught everything that came his way. He's a Gronk-esqe mismatch for everyone. Isolate him on the fades. Let him box out on the slant. Back shoulder throw to him. He's our #1 weapon. Get him the ball.

We have some schematic issues for sure, but the ones that glare the most is our insistent inside running game with a stable of (healthy) RBs suited for outside running and our lack of a big WR who can high point a pass.

Of course, in the red zone, why do we ignore Friermuth? He was practically unstoppable today. He caught everything that came his way. He's a Gronk-esqe mismatch for everyone. Isolate him on the fades. Let him box out on the slant. Back shoulder throw to him. He's our #1 weapon. Get him the ball.

Could not agree more. The lack of creativity in our running game is stunning. The disturbing thing to me is that we did nothing to enhance it with two bye weeks. In this game we did not even need to expand it. We continuously ran right into the middle of a slow Minnesota defense for reasons that are beyond baffling. We probably didn't even need to be throwing the ball down field in this game. It almost reminds me of the Jimmy Johnson arrogance in the 1986 Fiesta Bowl.

Stat sheet:

https://gopsusports.com/documents/2019/11/9//psuminn.pdf

Verrry interesting, as the guy on Laugh-In used to say. Assuming they didn't accidentally switch the PSU and Minny sides,

o PSU had more first downs, more net yards rushing, and more total offense
o PSU actually won TOP
o PSU had better 3rd down conversion pct than Minny

The stat that stands out to me is "points off turnovers." Really is the difference in the game. (That, and the 3 INTs)

I've watched the Slade conversion play several times. He would have been stopped even if he had taken it to the inside. #41 was there to make the tackle and all he had to do was slow Slade's progress with two more men behind in pursuit. Slade took it to the outside where there was no defender, expecting Bowers to hold his block. Bowers did not block his man to the inside against the pursuit. Slade had to make the choice before knowing whether the block would be successful. Obviously it was not.

That play was so loaded to the strong side -- with 2 TEs, Slade, and Hamler, that it left Dotson open in one-on-one coverage for an easy slant on the short side.

The bigger question isn't Slade's split second choice, but perhaps it is why he is even on the field. That was in effect a screen play, but we have shown no ability to block such plays, not with our linemen, and not with the two tight ends that were out there to block it. We would be better off spreading the ball around and using fakes and misdirection. Our backs have the speed to make people miss. Get the defense going the wrong way and the play is not so dependent on holding blocks.

And before you blame Clifford for throwing ints, you might ask why he has such a small pocket, or maybe why such a good running QB doesn't have roll outs by design. You might ask why he is obviously being encouraged to throw it deep so often -- into coverage. Perhaps some coaches still think Chris Godwin is down field. Maybe they think Hamler can out jump a 6'3" corner. Maybe they think the offense can complete these because they work so well in practice (against a weak secondary).

Look at that last interception again. Journey Brown was standing near the line of scrimmage wide open with most of the defense running toward the end zone. I'm betting he gets close to the end zone if not in with a simple dump off. Minnesota could not stop him in the open field. But we don't look for that short pass play. Obviously it isn't emphasized. Why?

On defense, if our DL can't get to the QB, why are they trying to bull rush a line that ranges 325-400 pounds? Why do we blitz cornerbacks on the QB's throwing side instead of stunting linemen?

Did you notice anything new in our offense (other than perhaps that 2-point screen play)? We had a bye week to prepare. Obviously the emphasis was on resting the players and recruiting by the coaches.

Players play the game. That is true. But coaches set them up to be successful, or unsuccessful. We were beat by a team with a few star players, but with far less talent overall. That is something that the staff should easily exploit. We did not, despite having plenty of time to prepare.

We hardly ever challenged Minnesota off tackle, which made no sense given our RB speed and the nature of their defense. Watch what happens when Minnesota plays a decent offense. They will get pummeled. Sadly, that could have been today, if not for our play calls. But we seem uninterested in sustained drives. At least now some people will know that we can't just rely on the defense.

Franklin needs to totally rethink how he uses bye week time, among other issues. I had hoped that he and Rahne would expand our running attack for this week. Not to be. What Minnesota saw on film, they got.

I think the staff (and some here) think all we need is for the players to execute perfectly. But that never happens. Preparation, game plans, and adjustments are the compensation for imperfect players. This was a team we should have beaten easily. Come championship game, if Minnesota makes it that far, we will see how easy they can be exploited.

The good news, ironically, is that this loss will probably make the team better next year. I expect some off season changes, in both personnel, procedures, and (hopefully) our play book. It is unfortunate for this year though, where late in the season we controlled our own destiny.

This loss will probably cost us the Rose Bowl. Several other teams now have just as much chance for that invite.

End of rant.
Excellent points.

Bump. Keeping it close today seals it, shitting the bed in Minneapolis cost us the CFP.

10-2, tier 2. Good, but not great is James Franklin's Penn State. For better or for worse, more of the same to come.

Reactions: zubrus1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT