ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line PSU 2023

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
I'm sorry if I offend the board with a football post: )

My guess as of today for OL 1 and OL2:

First Team:
LT: O. Fashanu
LG: L. Tangwell
C: H. Nourzad
RG: S. Wormley
RT: C. Wallace

Second Team:
LT: D. Shelton
LG: JB Nelson
C: N. Dawkins
RG: V. Ioane
RT: J Christ

I do see Birchmeier C and OG time and J'ven Williams OT, getting time with the second team perhaps even more than the 4 games.......wondering if we would have them for 5 years if redshirt this year. I have seen where Birchmeier will be tried at OT but seems like a prototypical interior lineman. Have seen Dawkins very sporadically in blow out games, Ioane looks like a road grader........ J. Christ looks like he walks on water on some plays, then appears dead for 3 days, only to rise again and play very strongly.

This may be the practice 1st and 2nd string OL....... may guess would be that Shelton would be 2nd string LT and RT and that he will get a fair bit of tim on OL 1.

Others who had been mentioned in the past: Achumba, Traoer

thoughts:

First Team:

Second Team:

I do see Birchmeier C and OG time and J'ven Williams OT, getting time with the second team perhaps even more than the 4 games.......wondering if we would have them for 5 years if redshirt this year. I have seen where Birchmeier will be tried at OT but seems like a prototypical interior lineman. Have seen Dawkins very sporadically in blow out games, Ioane looks like a road grader........ J. Christ looks like he walks on water on some plays, then appears dead for 3 days, only to rise again and play very strongly.

This may be the practice 1st and 2nd string OL....... may guess would be that Shelton would be 2nd string LT and RT and that he will get a fair bit of tim on OL 1.

thoughts:
Best 2 deep ( on paper) OL I’ve seen at Penn State in many, many years ….possibly since 94’ —Here’s hoping they go uninjured , and deliver

Last edited:
Best 2 deep ( on paper)OL I’ve seen at Penn State in many, many years ( possibly since 94’).—Here’s hoping they go uninjured , and deliver
08 was equal or better. Right now, this looks like the best line we have fielded since 2017.

Reactions: aworsnup
Would guess if Wallace got hurt, Shelton would go in at RT.
I’d prefer to see Shelton start over Wallace at RT. Wallace has been playing out of position. He’s a guard, not a tackle. His play over past 3 years proves my point.

Keep your eye on JB Nelson. Super aggressive, strong, loves contact, and flattering player at the second level. He could potential be the best guard on the team late in the year or next year. Dudes flat out nasty.

First Team:

Second Team:

thoughts:
I think Shelton overtakes Caeden at RT.

I think Shelton overtakes Caeden at RT.
I think that the staff wants Caeden....... but perhaps Shelton is just too good and needs to play.

If so does Caeden drop to Right OG....... thought that Wormley played well last year, perhaps the most consistent OL last year, once Fashanu hug up his cleats for the year.....

First Team:

Second Team:

thoughts:
Good post, discussion, and analysis. Agreed on nearly all points. This position went from cringe to exciting in a short period of time.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Better the 2017. Better than 08 also. Not as good as 94.
The results on the field thus far would suggest otherwise. The line's performance picked up as the season moved on but the improvements were closely aligned with the move to 12 personnel suggesting the improvement was largely attributed to the extra tight end as opposed to play by the line.

I think that the staff wants Caeden....... but perhaps Shelton is just too good and needs to play.

If so does Caeden drop to Right OG....... thought that Wormley played well last year, perhaps the most consistent OL last year, once Fashanu hug up his cleats for the year.....
Yep, it seems that the staff sees Wallace as an OT. And with all the players competing inside already they probably see Wallace as being needed at OT even though many fans believe his performance at PSU warrants a move inside.

If Wallace moved inside and Shelton started at right OT the backups at OT would likely be Christ and Williams. Traore might be the wild card in this discussion, as he reportedly practiced at OT early in his career but has been pretty MIA recently due to injuries. The fact that Traore returned this season might indicate he is healthy and will compete for playing time. If so he'd be at least experienced upper classman depth potentially at OT. But unless the staff feels Williams is really ready to play some OT with games on the line the staff may feel they can't move Wallace inside.

And Inside there already is stiff competition for playing time, with Wormley and Tengwall returning as starters and assuming Nourzad and Dawkins man the Center position. Loane, Nelson, and Achumba also competing for playing time at Guard, and potentially Birchmeier as well. Loane and Nelson seem good enough to start for most B10 teams, and I believe Achumba was ready to start at one point before he got injured, so of what value would Wallace be inside unless he was recognized by Trautwein as a sure all B10 level player if he moved inside.

A great problem to have and since Trautwein has brought in and developed all these guys I'm of the belief he will put the pieces in place to put the best OL PSU has had in at least 10 years on the field in 2023, with the best depth in some time as well, if no major injuries occur.

Yep, it seems that the staff sees Wallace as an OT. And with all the players competing inside already they probably see Wallace as being needed at OT even though many fans believe his performance at PSU warrants a move inside.

If Wallace moved inside and Shelton started at right OT the backups at OT would likely be Christ and Williams. Traore might be the wild card in this discussion, as he reportedly practiced at OT early in his career but has been pretty MIA recently due to injuries. The fact that Traore returned this season might indicate he is healthy and will compete for playing time. If so he'd be at least experienced upper classman depth potentially at OT. But unless the staff feels Williams is really ready to play some OT with games on the line the staff may feel they can't move Wallace inside.

And Inside there already is stiff competition for playing time, with Wormley and Tengwall returning as starters and assuming Nourzad and Dawkins man the Center position. Loane, Nelson, and Achumba also competing for playing time at Guard, and potentially Birchmeier as well. Loane and Nelson seem good enough to start for most B10 teams, and I believe Achumba was ready to start at one point before he got injured, so of what value would Wallace be inside unless he was recognized by Trautwein as a sure all B10 level player if he moved inside.

A great problem to have and since Trautwein has brought in and developed all these guys I'm of the belief he will put the pieces in place to put the best OL PSU has had in at least 10 years on the field in 2023, with the best depth in some time as well, if no major injuries occur.
#1- Whoever loses the starting RT job between Wallace and Shelton will probably still see a fair amount of action. You saw rotate Effner/Wallace rotate even when both were healthy.

#2- If Wallace loses the RT starting battle I would assume that he would then try to compete for a starting Guard spot. If hes better than Wormley/Tengwall then he should be given a chance to start there. Caeden is a veteren with NFL aspirations and I'm sure that he would be willing/able to start at Guard.

#3 At the end of the day you want to have your best starters out there. Even if the staff "sees Wallace as a Tackle" if him starting at Guard is our best lineup then thats where they likely will play him.

From what I've seen I think Shelton will win the job at RT, and I say let the best men win the Guard spots. Also, are we sure that Nourzad has locked down the Center spot? I wouldn't assume that's a done deal.

#1- Whoever loses the starting RT job between Wallace and Shelton will probably still see a fair amount of action. You saw rotate Effner/Wallace rotate even when both were healthy.

#2- If Wallace loses the RT starting battle I would assume that he would then try to compete for a starting Guard spot. If hes better than Wormley/Tengwall then he should be given a chance to start there. Caeden is a veteren with NFL aspirations and I'm sure that he would be willing/able to start at Guard.

#3 At the end of the day you want to have your best starters out there. Even if the staff "sees Wallace as a Tackle" if him starting at Guard is our best lineup then thats where they likely will play him.

From what I've seen I think Shelton will win the job at RT, and I say let the best men win the Guard spots. Also, are we sure that Nourzad has locked down the Center spot? I wouldn't assume that's a done deal.
Yep, we may see Wallace and Shelton rotate. Franklin seemed to defend the Effner/Wallace rotation when he talked about it by saying that Effner earned playing time. I'm assuming that was due to a combination of Effner being a 4th/5th year player and him likely being just a tad less effective than Wallace in practice. With Shelton being so young that same mentality may not prevail, but if Shelton progresses he would at least be the first OT off the bench anytime Olu or Wallace (if Wallace would win the starting R-OT spot) come off the field.

I have never seen Wallace set the world on fire during his tenure as the starting right OT for PSU, and I'd place my money on him not being able to beat out Tengwall and/or Wormley, but who really knows. Wallace is a big strong young man and maybe I'm selling him short.

About the best 5 mentality, that's usually the company line but the bottom line is that any team wants their best 5 starting unit playing. It's possible that Wallace could get beat out by Shelton and still not be one of the 3 best interior OL players. I'm not sold on Nourzad being up to the talent level of the rest of the PSU top OL players so I'd love to see Wallace give Center a try........

And I agree that from what we've seen in games Shelton's pass protection is significantly better than what we've seen from Wallace the last 3 seasons. But even in the recently started S&C the staff seems to go out of their way to praise Wallace. It just seems to me that every time we have seen a sub par oline performance that when you watch replays of OL failures it's usually Wallace getting beat.

I'm looking forward to any intel about the OL that might sneak out of Spring practices.........

First Team:

Second Team:

thoughts:
My guess is you are probably 100% correct.

My want:

LT: Fashanu
LG: Tengwell
C: Norzad
RG: Wallace
RT: Shelton

I also think in the 2nd team eith AB or JW crack the top 2.

And I agree that from what we've seen in games Shelton's pass protection is significantly better than what we've seen from Wallace the last 3 seasons. But even in the recently started S&C the staff seems to go out of their way to praise Wallace. It just seems to me that every time we have seen a sub par oline performance that when you watch replays of OL failures it's usually Wallace getting beat.

Start the best player!!!

Start the best player!!!
Newsflash: That's just what the coaches to !!!!!!!!!

And "the best players" are those that the coaches believe will help the team win on a given week, as they game plan for that week. Not necessarily the players that a fan or fans believe were the best players when they look back with 20-20 hind sight !!!!!!!!

I have never seen Wallace set the world on fire during his tenure as the starting right OT for PSU,

And I agree that from what we've seen in games Shelton's pass protection is significantly better than what we've seen from Wallace the last 3 seasons.

Newsflash: That's just what the coaches to !!!!!!!!!

And "the best players" are those that the coaches believe will help the team win on a given week, as they game plan for that week. Not necessarily the players that a fan or fans believe were the best players when they look back with 20-20 hind sight !!!!!!!!

Who is the best RT?

Who is the best RT?

Based on how he played LT, I would like to see Shelton split snaps with Wallace early like Effner did last year. Unless he outright wins it by game 1.

Even if Wallace wins it in camp, I'd like to see Shelton sub in. He performed very well for a true freshman.

As far as knowing who is the best...I don't think we had a best last year. Hopefully that changes this year.

First Team:

Second Team:

thoughts:

I say Ioane wins the majority of the snaps at guard this season. I am not sold on Landon Tengwall just yet.

I say Ioane wins the majority of the snaps at guard this season. I am not sold on Landon Tengwall just yet.
Sorry Tengwall missed so many games. Was impressed how well he moved -- very good on pulling out and getting to second level to block downfield.

There is enough talent and depth to provide serious competition for playing time.

Last edited:
We already have your expert opinion.
And we have your constant crying.

But the point is that no one here sees the practices, that everyone here's observations are just partial observations of the body of work each player accumulates on their resume for playing time, and that making the outlandish statements you make are worthless.

And we have your constant crying.

But the point is that no one here sees the practices, that everyone here's observations are just partial observations of the body of work each player accumulates on their resume for playing time, and that making the outlandish statements you make are worthless.
He's a clown who asks for your opinion then jumps on you.

LT Fashanu
LG Wormley
C Nourzad
RG Wallace
RT Tengwall
Rotate Shelton at both tackles and Nelson and Ioane at guards. but the starting o-line for WVU will be
LT Fashanu
LG Tegwall
C Nourzad
RG Wormley
RT Wallace

Last edited:
LT Fashanu
LG Wormley
C Nourzad
RG Wallace
RT Tengwall
Rotate Shelton at both tackles and Nelson and Ioane at guards. but the starting o-line for WVU will be
LT Fashanu
LG Tegwall
C Nourzad
RG Wormley
RT Wallace
Don't you believe the ship has sailed for Tengwall as an OT?

Last season, before Shelton emerged at OT but also likely before Loane emerged at Guard, Trautwein saw Tengwall's future as a Guard. Then he earned the starting job and played Guard getting comfortable there before getting injured. And here we are now, a year later with Fashanu back, Shelton a proven option, Wallace returning, Christ a year more mature, Traore reportedly healthy, and a couple talented true freshmen also slotted for OT (Williams and Onoh, and possibly Birchmeier although Brichmeier may be destined for the inside OL). It just seems that OT is in a much better place now than it was going into the 2022 season and Tengwall still played inside to start 2022, which is why I can't see the staff moving Tengwall outside. But who really knows...........:oops:

Trautwein could end up being one of Franklin's greatest hires. Every season he's at PSU the top players get better, the depth gets better, recruiting gets better. I really liked Limegrover, he worked really hard to pull the OL program out of the sanctions hole. But it was the the right call to bring in Trautwein to get them to the next stage.

Really it's been amazing how well the PSU offense has been able to operate with below-average (and sometimes way below) OL and only average talent at QB in the Franklin era. The ceiling is definitely getting higher - no guarantee the team will each the ceiling, that takes a bit of luck on top of the hard work. But there is more potential now for sure.

First Team:

Second Team:

thoughts:
The OL starters might not be quite as good as the 1994 starters but the top 12 are probably better.

This Fall's team has super starters all over the place and the best depth in decades. I can't wait for the season to start. My only regret is that we aren't playing the pitters this year. We might make 48-14 look like a close game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT