ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive line next year

JoeParulz

Jul 23, 2001
We lose starters Olu, Nourzad, Wormley, and Wallace. JB Nelson and Nick Dawkins have another year of eligibility but there’s no guarantee they use it.

The projected starting OL looks a little scary right now.

Tackles: Shelton, Williams?
Guards: Nelson, Vega
Center: Dawkins?

Depth with playing experience: Donkoh and ??

I’m thinking they are going to have to hit the portal for a couple of OL next year.

LT - Shelton or Williams. Not clear-cut yet. Probably depends on Shelton either standing out or filling a need.
LG - Nelson will return. Donkoh primary backup.
C - Dawkins appears to be the guy.
RG - Vega will be here.
RT - Shelton, Onoh primary backup.

I guess we are in agreement. I think we do look at the portal for starter quality guys. Depth will be inexperienced to start as we will have a slew of new full time starters.

Traore and Achumba I look to portal out as grad transfers. 5 OLs in the current class.

LT - Shelton or Williams. Not clear-cut yet. Probably depends on Shelton either standing out or filling a need.
LG - Nelson will return. Donkoh primary backup.
C - Dawkins appears to be the guy.
RG - Vega will be here.
RT - Shelton, Onoh primary backup.

I guess we are in agreement. I think we do look at the portal for starter quality guys. Depth will be inexperienced to start as we will have a slew of new full time starters.

Traore and Achumba I look to portal out as grad transfers. 5 OLs in the current class.
What position are you looking to fill with the portal?

What position are you looking to fill with the portal?

Best available that is willing to come.

None of these returning guys are currently ingrained starters who you pencil in regardless as we did this year with Olu and Sal. Michigan took 2 guys this year and 1 last year that I know of. It's about putting together the best OL possible. If the portal can assist, so be it.

Best available that is willing to come.

None of these returning guys are currently ingrained starters who you pencil in regardless as we did this year with Olu and Sal. Michigan took 2 guys this year and 1 last year that I know of. It's about putting together the best OL possible. If the portal can assist, so be it.
Yep Nelson can play tackle or guard so just go out and get the best portal OL you can land and then move Nelson to where he’s most needed.

It really hurts that we lost Tangwell and that Birchmeier wasn’t as game ready as expected.

Cooper Cousins is probably the only incoming freshmen who is physically developed enough to provide depth as a freshmen.

Yep Nelson can play tackle or guard so just go out and get the best portal OL you can land and then move Nelson to where he’s most needed.

It really hurts that we lost Tangwell and that Birchmeier wasn’t as game ready as expected.

Cooper Cousins is probably the only incoming freshmen who is physically developed enough to provide depth as a freshmen.

I assume Nelson is a G going forward, but if you get starter quality out of the portal, you shuffle and go from there. Even a C might allow Dawkins at RG. It's not a big deal if Vega or Williams aren't ful time starters until '25.

I think Birch just got beat out by Donkoh and is a future interior guy vs T.

Cousins seems like a dude who could compete at C next year. All depends on if Birch is there and ready, or if we could be better with Dawkins at RG.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I assume Nelson is a G going forward, but if you get starter quality out of the portal, you shuffle and go from there. Even a C might allow Dawkins at RG. It's not a big deal if Vega or Williams aren't ful time starters until '25.

I think Birch just got beat out by Donkoh and is a future interior guy vs T.

Cousins seems like a dude who could compete at C next year. All depends on if Birch is there and ready, or if we could be better with Dawkins at RG.
It seems that the staff liked Onoh and Donkoh over Birchmeier but for all we know Birchmeier might have some minor injuries that forced the choice of who to get some PT. With the experience of practicing a year I'm not discounting Birchmeier competing for significant playing time for 2024. It does look like Dawkins is doing a nice job at Center and also could play Guard, but if he's good at Center I could see him start at Center in 2024 backed up by Birchmeier with Birchmeir groomed to start at Center thereafter. Cousins also may compete at Center from the start, hopefull enrolling early and practicing nexts Spring, but he seems bigger and possibly a better fit at Guard.
Onoh getting at least some playing time this season as a true freshman seems to indicate he can be ready to be a backup OT in 2024.

If I remember correctly Achumba was pretty close to starting a couple of years ago and may have been held back by injuries. It wouldn't surprise me to see him come back in 2024 and win co-starting playing time, or at least compete to start and get regular playing time. Or on the other hand move on. As discussed it depends on what goes on with the portal as well as how the 2023 class olinemen are progressing. The staff has done a nice job of assembling a great 2024 OL class but it's hard to see any of them other than Cousins competing to be a game ready backup in 2023.

So as of now, how I see it pending attrition and portal incoming players:
Tackles: Shelton, Williams, Onoh
Guards: Nelson, Vega, Donkoh, Achumba, Birchmeier?
Center: Dawkins, Birchmeier?/Cousins?

It's hard to project Traore into contributing in 2024 given his lack of contribution to date, but stranger things have happened. Guess we'll fiind out who is coming back after the season, and there always seems to be some surprises.

Have not to believe that the staff will be trying to bring in a couple of olinemen from the portal. One OT and one inside player, but we know getting OT's from the portal that can play well in the B10 is a tall order.

Maybe we should be watching some Ivey League games to see who may be coming for 2024.........

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
Maybe we should be watching some Ivey League games to see who may be coming for 2024.......

Very true there. 2 previous starters from the Ivy ranks.

I'd like to think sending Olu to the likely top 10 might be enough to persuade an experienced but perhaps year away tackle to spend '24 in State College.

This sounds like the same situation that OSU is going through this year. They are getting better as the season moves on but it takes time for the OL to gel and work together. This is the area that I believe PSU can exploit with its strong DL. That OSU QB is really good and PSU is going to have to pressure him

We lose starters Olu, Nourzad, Wormley, and Wallace. JB Nelson and Nick Dawkins have another year of eligibility but there’s no guarantee they use it.

The projected starting OL looks a little scary right now.

Tackles: Shelton, Williams?
Guards: Nelson, Vega
Center: Dawkins?

Depth with playing experience: Donkoh and ??

I’m thinking they are going to have to hit the portal for a couple of OL next year.Years ago when Joe was faced with this problem he often moved defensive linemen or tight ends to the O-line. I
Years ago when Joe was faced with this problem he often moved defensive linemen or tight ends to the O-line. I wonder if this would be a possibility for next year?

And someone starts a thread about something you're not interested in and you read it? And seek to marginalize it?

Yep, we can discuss next year's oline............

Enjoy your day :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Years ago when Joe was faced with this problem he often moved defensive linemen or tight ends to the O-line. I wonder if this would be a possibility for next year?
That seemed like the plan for the TE Barnwell, but he didn't seem to buy into it.....

And PSU's roster seems to have a bigger void of big DT's than it does olinemen. Players also seem to specialize positionally more so in high school now than they did in Joe's time at PSU. With the current roster I'll be very surprised to see any movement either way between DL and OL.

Reactions: lazydave841

The only issue we are facing next year is we are losing starters from this year. The talent level is high, as evidenced by true freshman, rs freshman, and true sophomores getting playing time over a couple of rs juniors. And these guys are getting experience this year; they just aren't the starters this year and Olu, Nourzad, Sal, and Wallace run out of eligibility/entering the draft.

Interesting enough, we did discuss guys like Vega being shifted to DL. No mention of Traore or GIA, both of which would be our biggest DL if shifted over.

And someone starts a thread about something you're not interested in and you read it? And seek to marginalize it?

Yep, we can discuss next year's oline............

Enjoy your day :rolleyes:
Just wanted to give my option. Is that still allowed.😉

Just seems very premature and ill timed. Critical fews weeks ahead. Lots of young guys getting experience. Lots of young talent.

At end of season, see who played considerable time, how well they played, how they developed, where they would fit.

Argue on…….

Just wanted to give my option. Is that still allowed.😉

Just seems very premature and ill timed. Critical fews weeks ahead. Lots of young guys getting experience. Lots of young talent.

At end of season, see who played considerable time, how well they played, how they developed, where they would fit.

Argue on…….
Feel free to wait. But if you're waiting until after the season to discuss next season that doesn't explain being critical of those that want to discuss it now.

We don't believe we need permission to discuss any topic, but especially PSU football, current or a look ahead. Especially given all of the non PSU football topics that make their way to this board, even during game weeks. SpaceX for example. I won't see if anyone posted a "why is this thread here" post as since I don't come here to discuss most non PSU football comments I don't view or comment in threads that don't interest me......

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeParulz
Ohio State has to rebuild an O-line every couple years, like this year. Usually they're not great at the start of the season but they play themselves into form by the 5th or 6th game.

If PSU wants to be considered a Top 10 program, that's what they need to get to. We're just so used to O-line being a problem under Franklin (and that's largely because of sanctions and aftermath), but if Trautwein stays in place, PSU O-line should be a reload instead of rebuild kind of thing.

Ohio State has to rebuild an O-line every couple years, like this year. Usually they're not great at the start of the season but they play themselves into form by the 5th or 6th game.

If PSU wants to be considered a Top 10 program, that's what they need to get to. We're just so used to O-line being a problem under Franklin (and that's largely because of sanctions and aftermath), but if Trautwein stays in place, PSU O-line should be a reload instead of rebuild kind of thing.
And OSU seems to do it by replacing the losses to graduation/theNFL with a combination of players made up of players that waited their turn and players that are high level recruits/talent that are ready to contribute to an outstanding OL in their redshirt freshman seasons.

Trautwein has only recently gotten top OL players, with Tengwall sticking out as a player ready to play well in his 2nd year. Following the model of top programs would seem to require a player like Williams starting at OT in 2024 and by mid season play at a pretty high level and contributing to a very good OL. Would be great if one of Donkoh or Birchmeier also follow that path whether or not they are needed to be a starter......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT