ADVERTISEMENT

Obli's Observations

We don't have the highest level of OL recruits but they should have been good enough to be middle of the pack in the B1G based on recruiting rankings. Something's not right. Heck, the OL stunk when they had early 2nd round NFL pick Smith and undrafted free agent pick Dieffenbach.

Palmer should be better with another year. Nelson & Mahon are still young and should improve. Gaia, Dowrey, and Laurent were RS juniors so we can't blame youth. They'll probably improve slightly but not much. Can a new OC make a difference?
Agree for the most part, but I think the only time we saw a truly healthy miles and Donovan was in the pinstripe bowl, where they looked pretty good against a tough defense.

---
I think a new OC could make a huge difference. For one thing, stop calling plays that take forever to develop. Quick hitting plays make it much easier on the line.

Interestingly, according to the guy from the Lebanon Daily News (see thread elsewhere on that), PSU made exactly that adjustment for the MSU game. With a fair amount of success (I quote):

"As for the number, Hackenberg finished 20 of 27 for 249 yards, two touchdowns and a tipped interception on passes released in less than 2.3 seconds from snap to throw."

but

"When Hackenberg was forced to hold on to the ball, and consequently was under pressure, his numbers fell to a horrid 2 of 12 for eight yards and an interception."

See this link for more.

Of course, 4 turnovers will ruin your day. If I am not mistaken, all 4 went for TD's eventually. That accounts for a lot of the magnitude of the loss. At least two of those are not the fault of coaching.

Interestingly, according to the guy from the Lebanon Daily News (see thread elsewhere on that), PSU made exactly that adjustment for the MSU game. With a fair amount of success (I quote):

"As for the number, Hackenberg finished 20 of 27 for 249 yards, two touchdowns and a tipped interception on passes released in less than 2.3 seconds from snap to throw."

but

"When Hackenberg was forced to hold on to the ball, and consequently was under pressure, his numbers fell to a horrid 2 of 12 for eight yards and an interception."

See this link for more.

Of course, 4 turnovers will ruin your day. If I am not mistaken, all 4 went for TD's eventually. That accounts for a lot of the magnitude of the loss. At least two of those are not the fault of coaching.

I'd have made those adjustments at halftime of the Temple game. A lot of Temple's heat came on delayed blitzes. This isn't rocket surgery. At the time, there was some concern about our WR's being able to get open but you just continue the route. I've still not seen any button hooks, which would be good given the deep threat that we established with Godwin. Oddly, out two WR from last year disappeared this year, for the most part (Hamilton and Lewis).

Overall, it just appeared our offense was a mish-mash of plays. Did we run the wheel route again after Indy? Did we ever do anything to compliment the jet sweep? Once Barkley was established as a premier RB, did we make any changes in the O to take advantage of that? These are the questions that trouble men's souls.

I have to believe Franklin was going to let Donovan go before the MSU game and I suspect that someone other than Donovan put that O game plan together. Why? First, CJF let Donovan know the next morning after MSU which would far too emotional of a time to make that change (you'll notice that CJF's post press conference comments are fairly scripted, with few specific comments...he keeps it very general). B) the game plan was much more different than previous ones. Compare UM and MSU just a week apart.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
---
I think a new OC could make a huge difference. For one thing, stop calling plays that take forever to develop. Quick hitting plays make it much easier on the line. Sometimes the formation would tip the plays. Maybe have a better scheme to pick up blitzes and stunts. Better passing game that gets rid of the ball quicker. Better passing scheme that makes DBs play deeper and forces LBs to cover instead of blitz every play.

Better running game that forces a D to play run instead of blitzing all the time. Moving the ball better so that we aren't constantly starting inside our own ten. Maybe a better redzone scheme that loosens up the D.

Once all that happens, the line will block better, the QB will pass better, receivers get open more often, backs run better with holes. Everyone plays with more confidence.

I hear you, and agree that scheme can make a difference. But I also focused on the OLine quite a bit this year and watched guys get man handled on a regular basis. To me that means one of two things, either they just don't have it, or they are not being taught fundamentals and technique. Thus, the comment regarding a new OLine coach.

I hear you, and agree that scheme can make a difference. But I also focused on the OLine quite a bit this year and watched guys get man handled on a regular basis. To me that means one of two things, either they just don't have it, or they are not being taught fundamentals and technique. Thus, the comment regarding a new OLine coach.

Hopefully some of the highly rated young OLine recruits will be ready to play next year.

but

See this link for more.

Sad thing is most of us have been calling for that, quicker plays, since last season.

Couple of thoughts:

• Wisky may have had the easiest schedule in the B1G. They didn't score very many points against the tier one teams.
  • TE went from a position of strength to weakness with JJ leaving early, Brenneman being hurt and Gesicki having the dropsies. TE hasn't been a blocking position since before BOB.
  • Agree on play action...gotta get that going with a guy like SB in the backfield.
  • While we have a tough schedule next year, We won't be playing any elite teams (sans tOSU) as MSU, UM will take a step back. Pitt could be a very difficult game.
Matt Lehman was a solid blocker, unfortunately he missed his senior season with "a knee".

but

See this link for more.

Haley mishandled 2 kicks that cost us games last year. This year it was Thompkins. It doesn't seem like that would be coaching but somehow the kids are uncomfortable and feeling pressure. Isn't it the coaches problem to address that issue?

Amen! This is an impressive thread thanks to Obli and other contributors. This team could not put on a power drive. Coaches could not adjust. DL was overvalued.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT