ADVERTISEMENT

Obli's Observations

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
Apoplectic is the only word I can think of. Truly, aside from injury, the worst case scenarios for Penn State football.

Clearly there is a lack of talent on the offensive line. Clearly Paris Palmer was miserable. I didn't see anyone, on a single play, replace PP. So, he must be our best LT. Wow. Let me say that again, according to our staff, PP is our best option at LT.

I am not going to go into detail on the kids. They were horrible, enough said. But here is where it gets worse:

• Pregame, my predictions were 100% correct. T would put 8 in the box and bring a blitz on just about every down. PSU would counter that with several plays, one being the jet sweep. OK, check. However, it didn't seem like the staff anticipated what every defense did last year after the opener...blitz, blitz, blitz.
  • The line stunk, but you've GOT to give them some relief, you've got to make them pay. How about something over the middle, Gesicki dragging, a pass to a RB? Every team has a play were a receiver breaks off a route and floods a zone that a linebacker abandoned. I didn't see that...not once.
  • Not a single reception by a TE. Not one. Not one!!! Here is a team with a budding superstar at TE in Gesicki and another who is an excellent receiver in Sr. Carter.
  • It appears we have the same ten plays we had last year. Wait...11, we added a jet sweep. Great.
  • Hackenberg. Well, he stunk, even when he had time early in the game. I am not sure what the problem is...but he looks defeated...all the time.
  • Turning point in the game was Cabrinda not catching a critical INT and when PSU gets the ball, they toss a telegraphed INT, one handed reception by the DE, for what was essentially a pick six.
  • Defense was totally gassed on a hot day. Especially after loosing N-W at LB. They were on the field the entire day...and were mentally defeated by the middle of the third qtr despite Zettel trying to get them back into the game. Gotta move Cabrinda to one of the MLB positions.
But here is where it gets really, really bad.
  • Several alums from last year taking shots at the OC. Especially Smith who insinuated that is why he left early for the NFL.
  • Yep, I know, the O-line stinks...but you've got to at least TRY to coach around that. They didn't. They ran the same ten plays...er, 11 plays again and again and again. There doesn't seem to be a single play designed to counter a blitz. None.
  • Based on the alum comments and the team's body language, the coaching staff doesn't have the confidence needed from the players. Where does this come from? I've heard some whispers but chose to ignore it giving the staff some time to have a full year. I get these aren't their kids...and we are still ravaged by sanctions.....but you've got to give the players some tools to work with. You don't judge a fish by how fast he can climb a tree, or a monkey on how well he swims. This team is what they are, skill wise.
Donovan seems to be FOF...Friend of Franklin. CJF has got to judge by how well the team plays against Buffalo...then we've got powerhouses Rutgers and SDS. By the end of the Rutgers game, if things aren't substantially better, CJF has to strip Donovan of his responsibilities and take over the OC job (or promote one of the position coaches). Then find a new OC for next year. A loss to Rutgers, in their situation, would be inexcusable under any circumstances. Heck, if we don't have 20 points on Buffalo by the half, CJF should take the O over.

I know this sounds reactionary, but this was the worse I've ever seen a Penn State team play....ever. And, they've lost the players, it would appear. One can hope that the team came in big-headed and it simply rolled up on them....but I fear that is not the case. With a combo of bad personnel and bad coaching, this team, our team, is in trouble. its one thing to have a bad game, not play well...but it wasn't that...this team was unprepared and collapsed. That's on the coaching....there was no hope by the offensive players by the middle of the third quarter...we've got a three year starter at QB and a senior at RB. And we lacked and/or lost poise. That's on the coaching staff.

Oh, and one more thing, last time I listen to Jeff Nelson's football opinion.

Just a few comments.

1. Whenever they didn't have a TE to help block Hack was under pressure immediately. I totally get what your saying but look at the times the TE was in the routes. hack was under pressure immediately. I don't think it is because they didn't try to get the ball to the TE. It's hard to get the TE involved when he has to block. I mean palmer was getting beat every other play and Nelson was playing with a banged up knee. So you had the TE and RB's helping out and that still wasn't enough.

2. you comparing what a normal team does when people blitz. however, those normal teams generally pick up the blitz every once in a while. PSU is not normal in that regards. So again, it's hard to say do this when the Oline can't block at all.

3. That was one of the worste offensive performances I seen. here's why I think the it's the Olines fault almost entirely. Look at the first two drives. These plays were scripted I'm pretty sure(at least most of them). Everyone knew what to do if this happens/that happens etc. As soon as you got away from script and the Oline had to figure out what was going on they couldn't. that was the end right there. Franklin did say they try to adjust what they were doing, but it failed(so it makes it look like they didn't do anything).

4. I personally think they should run 5 WR, forget running, and just sling the ball with constant slants, outs etc. Maybe doing that, that will allow the Oline to get some confidence and be able to hold a block longer and to let the WRs get down field. I think that's where Hack is best, but if he is getting hit before the WR's can get downfield were SOL.

There was a member of this board who posted that he was sitting next to Trent Dilfer on a plane. Dilfer said Franklin needs to get his head out of his ass and that was before the Temple game. Was that you Obli?

Reactions: Marshall30
Apoplectic is the only word I can think of. Truly, aside from injury, the worst case scenarios for Penn State football.

Clearly there is a lack of talent on the offensive line. Clearly Paris Palmer was miserable. I didn't see anyone, on a single play, replace PP. So, he must be our best LT. Wow. Let me say that again, according to our staff, PP is our best option at LT.

I am not going to go into detail on the kids. They were horrible, enough said. But here is where it gets worse:

• Pregame, my predictions were 100% correct. T would put 8 in the box and bring a blitz on just about every down. PSU would counter that with several plays, one being the jet sweep. OK, check. However, it didn't seem like the staff anticipated what every defense did last year after the opener...blitz, blitz, blitz.
  • The line stunk, but you've GOT to give them some relief, you've got to make them pay. How about something over the middle, Gesicki dragging, a pass to a RB? Every team has a play were a receiver breaks off a route and floods a zone that a linebacker abandoned. I didn't see that...not once.
  • Not a single reception by a TE. Not one. Not one!!! Here is a team with a budding superstar at TE in Gesicki and another who is an excellent receiver in Sr. Carter.
  • It appears we have the same ten plays we had last year. Wait...11, we added a jet sweep. Great.
  • Hackenberg. Well, he stunk, even when he had time early in the game. I am not sure what the problem is...but he looks defeated...all the time.
  • Turning point in the game was Cabrinda not catching a critical INT and when PSU gets the ball, they toss a telegraphed INT, one handed reception by the DE, for what was essentially a pick six.
  • Defense was totally gassed on a hot day. Especially after loosing N-W at LB. They were on the field the entire day...and were mentally defeated by the middle of the third qtr despite Zettel trying to get them back into the game. Gotta move Cabrinda to one of the MLB positions.
  • Several alums from last year taking shots at the OC. Especially Smith who insinuated that is why he left early for the NFL.
  • Yep, I know, the O-line stinks...but you've got to at least TRY to coach around that. They didn't. They ran the same ten plays...er, 11 plays again and again and again. There doesn't seem to be a single play designed to counter a blitz. None.
  • Based on the alum comments and the team's body language, the coaching staff doesn't have the confidence needed from the players. Where does this come from? I've heard some whispers but chose to ignore it giving the staff some time to have a full year. I get these aren't their kids...and we are still ravaged by sanctions.....but you've got to give the players some tools to work with. You don't judge a fish by how fast he can climb a tree, or a monkey on how well he swims. This team is what they are, skill wise.
Donovan seems to be FOF...Friend of Franklin. CJF has got to judge by how well the team plays against Buffalo...then we've got powerhouses Rutgers and SDS. By the end of the Rutgers game, if things aren't substantially better, CJF has to strip Donovan of his responsibilities and take over the OC job (or promote one of the position coaches). Then find a new OC for next year. A loss to Rutgers, in their situation, would be inexcusable under any circumstances. Heck, if we don't have 20 points on Buffalo by the half, CJF should take the O over.

I know this sounds reactionary, but this was the worse I've ever seen a Penn State team play....ever. And, they've lost the players, it would appear. One can hope that the team came in big-headed and it simply rolled up on them....but I fear that is not the case. With a combo of bad personnel and bad coaching, this team, our team, is in trouble. its one thing to have a bad game, not play well...but it wasn't that...this team was unprepared and collapsed. That's on the coaching....there was no hope by the offensive players by the middle of the third quarter...we've got a three year starter at QB and a senior at RB. And we lacked and/or lost poise. That's on the coaching staff.

I can't say I disagree with much you said.

There was a member of this board who posted that he was sitting next to Trent Dilfer on a plane. Dilfer said Franklin needs to get his head out of his ass and that was before the Temple game. Was that you Obli?

It was not...I spoke this morning to a former B1G position coach....He stated that Donovan was an awful OC and was shocked that CJF brought him to Penn State. He likened this similar to O'Brien promoting his buddy to DC when he wasn't ready. He said Donovan is totally in over his head and this was evident last year as things were 100% the same as this year and the O didn't change a thing the entire season.

Just a few comments.

1. Whenever they didn't have a TE to help block Hack was under pressure immediately. I totally get what your saying but look at the times the TE was in the routes. hack was under pressure immediately. I don't think it is because they didn't try to get the ball to the TE. It's hard to get the TE involved when he has to block. I mean palmer was getting beat every other play and Nelson was playing with a banged up knee. So you had the TE and RB's helping out and that still wasn't enough. Don't disagree...except when you've don this for three quarters and it hasn't helped. You then have Gesicki "chip" the DE and find the zone vacated by the MLB if/when, he delay blitz's.

2. you comparing what a normal team does when people blitz. however, those normal teams generally pick up the blitz every once in a while. PSU is not normal in that regards. So again, it's hard to say do this when the Oline can't block at all.

3. That was one of the worste offensive performances I seen. here's why I think the it's the Olines fault almost entirely. Look at the first two drives. These plays were scripted I'm pretty sure(at least most of them). Everyone knew what to do if this happens/that happens etc. As soon as you got away from script and the Oline had to figure out what was going on they couldn't. that was the end right there. Franklin did say they try to adjust what they were doing, but it failed(so it makes it look like they didn't do anything). I cannot agree. This is this staff's O-line. They had an entire year. I get that they are not yet physically developed. But this wasn't physical beat downs but, often, mental. I simply cannot accept being physically AND mentally overwhelmed by Temple. TEMPLE. Just wait unto we face Joey Bosa, Sparty and UM.

4. I personally think they should run 5 WR, forget running, and just sling the ball with constant slants, outs etc. Maybe doing that, that will allow the Oline to get some confidence and be able to hold a block longer and to let the WRs get down field. I think that's where Hack is best, but if he is getting hit before the WR's can get downfield were SOL.
Late in the game, Hack threw a "floater" and let Goodwin out physical the 5-9 CB to make a long catch. Hack just needs to throw it high and let his big WR's make a play. Hell, on third and 15 when your punter is going to get net 30 yards, why not throw the ball 40-50 yards downfield? And INT is net positive with this punter (I seriously would instruct my CB's and S's to simply bat the ball away on third down rather than INT it unless you have a clear path to a pic six. )

Reactions: N&B4PSU and WeR0206
It was not...I spoke this morning to a former B1G position coach....He stated that Donovan was an awful OC and was shocked that CJF brought him to Penn State. He likened this similar to O'Brien promoting his buddy to DC when he wasn't ready. He said Donovan is totally in over his head and this was evident last year as things were 100% the same as this year and the O didn't change a thing the entire season.
Butler put the No. 24 defense on the field (total defense) his one year as Dcoordinator. That made him better than 80% of the other DC out there. Donovan produced the No. 107 ranked offense (total offense) last year and this year may be worse.

Don't compare Butler to Donovan. Compare him to Bradley who had almost the identical ranking (No. 22) two years before.

Here's the thing we do have the talent. Maybe not on the Oline, but we have it everywhere else.
It's not the players fault that we run the same 10, no wait 11 plays, over and over. It's not the players fault that the coach watched film from last year and choose not to design an offense that even with a weak Oline can make the defense pay for blitzing. Where were the screens, the draws, the quick passes to the running back out of the backfield? Where were quick passes to the area the blitzers are coming from? Where was the audible by the QB when he can obvious see it's a blitz? That comes down to coaching. This all falls back on coaching and game planning. That game plan was horrendous. The players had nothing to do with that. Question...would we have lost this game opener to Temple if Meyer were coaching these same players?

This is called groupthink.

Except that Vandy scored a lot of points in the SEC East with Donovan at OC in Franklin's last 2 years. But then he had veteran OLs. Franklin at Vandy started off slow but did well (for Vanderbilt) as he got veterans on the OL. And the offense looked pretty good in the Pinstripe Bowl. I'd be more concerned about Herb Hand.

PSU got outcoached, plain and simple. At 10-0, Temple realized it needed to change things up on the defensive side of the ball. They stacked the box and relied on physical DBs to keep PSU's WRs from getting any space. They realized that they only needed a couple of seconds to get to Hack if they brought 6 or even 7 guys. PSU's answer to that was to keep pounding a read-option look where the QB is never a threat to keep the ball. After the TD, I don't think we ever saw another draw play or a screen/swing pass or just a quick 5-yard over the middle hitch to a TE. Franklin & company failed to adjust, even at halftime. Meanwhile, Rhule and his staff saw the gaping hole in the defense after Wartman went out and exposed it over and over again. If you as a staff can't do any in-game adjustments, you're going to find yourself behind a lot.

Good observations, Obli.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and WeR0206
Except that Vandy scored a lot of points in the SEC East with Donovan at OC in Franklin's last 2 years. But then he had veteran OLs. Franklin at Vandy started off slow but did well (for Vanderbilt) as he got veterans on the OL. And the offense looked pretty good in the Pinstripe Bowl. I'd be more concerned about Herb Hand.

In his last year at Vandy(2013) he went 9-4......4-4 in conference play. The four nonconference games he won were against Austin Peay, UMASS, UBA and Wake Forest. He better beat those four teams. In conference he was blown out by Missouri 51-29 and Texas A&M 56-24. He lost to South Carolina 35-25 but the stats were far worse then the score. S. Carolina gained 579 yards and 31 first downs...YIKES. While Vandy gained 268 yards and 14 first downs. They also lost to Ole Mississippi in a close game 39-35. The four conference wins were against Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and Kentucky. That sounds good however all were having down years. Georgia went 8-5 that year. Florida went 4-8. Tennessee went 5-7. Kentucky went 2-10. Florida and Tennessee didn't even make it a to Bowl game. They avoided Alabama, Auburn and LSU. 9-4 and in the SEC sounds great until you look behind the curtain. Yes, he was coaching Vanderbilt which does say a lot
to go 9-4. It was his third year at Vandy, so he had some, if not many of his players playing. He beat the teams he should have and was blown out by 3 of 4 that he lost to. Those are the facts, and I'm sticking to that story.

Reactions: NapaNit
At this point, I think it's impossible to support the o coaching on this team. I agree with many, in that that performance was possibly the worst performance on the offensive side of the ball that I've ever seen. I am also afraid that they've lost the team. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Reactions: Doc-M
I go back to thinking Franklin exhausted himself in the recruiting game and left the rest up to his staff.. assuming we could hit 6-0 without a lot of effort. I think the kids saw that, too.

I also think Hack knows this system is not for him... at all. And that is where the defeat comes into play... he's in no-man's land out there and sees that nothing is being done to provide him with options that might diffuse the blitz. And he knows that if this is happening with Temple, he is going to spend a lot of time on his back this year... even more than last.

A poster commented last night on losing Wimbush and i totally agree with him. He is the kind of QB Franklin wants running his system and if we had such a highly touted backup he could risk pulling Hack... fans would give him some slack.. and i suspect Wimbush would do better than Hack simply because he can move.

This team got slobberknockered on saturday by what is likely to be a pretty good temple team. That old fighters adage was in play: everybody has a plan until they get hit. Well, we got hit. so now let's find out who has the guts to pick up their mouthpieces and go into battle. We are going to need warriors... that much is for certain.

As to recruits... we could lose a bunch.. .but we might also gain a bunch if kids see immediate playing opportunity. to me, the buff and rutgers games are must wins.

Reactions: therod
At this point, I think it's impossible to support the o coaching on this team. I agree with many, in that that performance wasks possibly the worst performance on the offensive side of the ball that I've ever seen. I am also afraid that they've lost the team. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Yes, let's support our team by telling them that their coaches don't know what they are doing. That will certainly improve the situation. My guess is that most of the players are more mature than the average fan boy whining and crying on this board. It appears we are all PSU football fans and in this together until the end.....or one embarrassing loss, whatever comes first. Do yourselves and the team a favor and go cheer for Pitt of Rutgers. From the looks of it, their fans are more loyal and have some grit. I'm not disgusted with the coaches or the team, the fair weather fan boys make me puke.

Losing N-W was a huge blow to the defense and when Bell got gimpy in the second half (he was limping to the QB) things got worse. Credit Temple - they saw our weaknesses and exploited the sh*t out of them.

I am a Vandy season ticket holder & PSU alum & in my honest opinion I was never impressed with the Vanderbilt offense. They scored points on bad teams but never really beat good teams, but in fairness to Franklin it was Vandy & he did do a hell of a lot better than any other coach. I do believe he needs to get a really experienced OC & QB coach. QB play at VAndy was never very good under Franklin.

Obrien was available ALL THE OFF SEASON! Why wasn't the whole offensive staff with him a week or 2 getting the genius's offensive game plans? Got to grow in knowledge EVERY YEAR especially after the crap of last year. TOTALLY ON JF AND OFFENSIVE STAFF! 30,000 loyal fans deserve better or that number decreases real fast!

Reactions: Ski
Yes, let's support our team by telling them that their coaches don't know what they are doing. That will certainly improve the situation. My guess is that most of the players are more mature than the average fan boy whining and crying on this board. It appears we are all PSU football fans and in this together until the end.....or one embarrassing loss, whatever comes first. Do yourselves and the team a favor and go cheer for Pitt of Rutgers. From the looks of it, their fans are more loyal and have some grit. I'm not disgusted with the coaches or the team, the fair weather fan boys make me puke.
They don't know what they are doing! Did you watch the Pinstripe Bowl at all? I was there and that game gave me hope that we would be improved this year. That hope was all but dashed against the rocks on Saturday. Franklin and staff are smoking crack if they believe Palmer is better than other people who didn't play.

Vanderbilt's offense ranked 74th in 2012 and 85th in 2013 in total offense.

Of course, that was better than last year at Penn State.

In fact in his years as OC, AHC/OC, and HC Franklin's offenses have ranked 48th, 8th, 60th, 107th, 75th, 88th, 74th, 85th, and 107th in total offense.

It's hard to see how he has gotten to where he has.

I do think Franklin is a good for the program but he needs to hire coordinators that know what their doing.

Just what your masters wanted, CDW. They want to become mediocre in football, so that Geography and Food Science can rise to the pre-eminent position that they've deserved all along.
Yes, we were talking about this yesterday at Peetz's house after the game. I think it was about the time that Fina brought in cocktails while wearing a French maid's outfit. Anyway, I remarked that the masterstroke was getting rid of Bill O'Brien. Here, we'd gone and mistakenly hired a once-in-a-generation head coach. A guy who won every coach-of-the-year award imaginable while under extremely dire circumstances. This was a guy who was bound to win a national championship for Penn State! And probably sooner rather than later!!

And then what happened? The "Paterno people" (as Bill like to call them) got rid of him for us. Just drove him right out of town. We laughed ourselves silly at the thought. I think Masser wet his pants.

Yes, we were talking about this yesterday at Peetz's house after the game. I think it was about the time that Fina brought in cocktails while wearing a French maid's outfit. Anyway, I remarked that the masterstroke was getting rid of Bill O'Brien. Here, we'd gone and mistakenly hired a once-in-a-generation head coach. A guy who won every coach-of-the-year award imaginable while under extremely dire circumstances. This was a guy who was bound to win a national championship for Penn State! And probably sooner rather than later!!

And then what happened? The "Paterno people" (as Bill like to call them) got rid of him for us. Just drove him right out of town. We laughed ourselves silly at the thought. I think Masser wet his pants.
He left for more money and to coach in the NFL!!

Reactions: Ski
an ex coach in the SEC told me, "Franklin is a hell of a recruiter...but not much of a coach. I will not miss him on the recruiting front, but not playing him"

You'll never convince me that the cabal had a clue OB would hold the program together. He was set up to fail.

In his last year at Vandy(2013) he went 9-4......4-4 in conference play. The four nonconference games he won were against Austin Peay, UMASS, UBA and Wake Forest. He better beat those four teams. In conference he was blown out by Missouri 51-29 and Texas A&M 56-24. He lost to South Carolina 35-25 but the stats were far worse then the score. S. Carolina gained 579 yards and 31 first downs...YIKES. While Vandy gained 268 yards and 14 first downs. They also lost to Ole Mississippi in a close game 39-35. The four conference wins were against Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and Kentucky. That sounds good however all were having down years. Georgia went 8-5 that year. Florida went 4-8. Tennessee went 5-7. Kentucky went 2-10. Florida and Tennessee didn't even make it a to Bowl game. They avoided Alabama, Auburn and LSU. 9-4 and in the SEC sounds great until you look behind the curtain. Yes, he was coaching Vanderbilt which does say a lot
to go 9-4. It was his third year at Vandy, so he had some, if not many of his players playing. He beat the teams he should have and was blown out by 3 of 4 that he lost to. Those are the facts, and I'm sticking to that story.

The interesting point in your post is that the D gave up a ton of points. The offense at least scored. The D isn't the problem now it's the O. So there is still some huge delta between the offense at Vandy and what we are seeing now. Heck if we scored in the mid 20's the outcome of that game is probably different.

Bottom Line is I saw the same Hack-ovan collapse on offense we saw all last year. Even up 10-0 I saw the crumble coming. Losing a key defensive player hurt but i think the standard hack meltdown carried over to the defense. They've seen it before. Its early in year but if this offense gets into its Funk Saturday Franklin needs to step up and coach on game-day.
I know he hasn't played but let McSorley go out and try to provide a spark, ala Mills, MRob. This team needs a rally point and our current QB aint it.
it kinda sucks but that loss sat basically wiped out any interest in college football I had. I think at fans at least deserve seeing the offense attempt to play with fire. Give us something to root for.

Reactions: MontereyLion
Bottom Line is I saw the same Hack-ovan collapse on offense we saw all last year. Even up 10-0 I saw the crumble coming. Losing a key defensive player hurt but i think the standard hack meltdown carried over to the defense. They've seen it before. Its early in year but if this offense gets into its Funk Saturday Franklin needs to step up and coach on game-day.
I know he hasn't played but let McSorley go out and try to provide a spark, ala Mills, MRob. This team needs a rally point and our current QB aint it.
it kinda sucks but that loss sat basically wiped out any interest in college football I had. I think at fans at least deserve seeing the offense attempt to play with fire. Give us something to root for.

Agree...but I'd like to make a point. Football is the quintessential team sport. There is clearly a "sum of the parts" notion in play. Getting 11 to buy in at any time creates momentum swings. Why? Well, if you are playing RG for example, you get into your stance, you block the guy that is your assignment...and then the whistle blows. You look around to see if you lost 3 yards or gained 3 yards...you really don't know what happened behind or to the left or right of you until the play is over. when you constantly get stuffed, you get frustrated and let down. You need to have some kind of rally. This can be a new play, an adjustment, a plan, a leader stepping up, a big play...whatever...but you constantly need to fuel players to keep them invested and on the same page. What I saw was the same thing in the scheme in the second quarter as I saw into the fourth quarter. it was clear they'd bring six or seven, with 8 in the box, but we'd run an off tackle play, followed by a bubble screen followed by a down-field pass that took too long to develop. Really crappy coaching (and I am typically a coaching supporter). But I saw nothing being done by the coaching staff to try and exploit that kind of defense.

Reactions: NCLION

Marshall - there's NO excuse for being unprepared at this level of football especially for the first game of the year where they had weeks to get ready. I definitely put that on the coaches. This is not one embarrassing loss, it's a continuation from last year with ZERO improvement. Coaches are paid handsomely to come up with a gameplan and put "our" players in a position to be successful - neither happened Saturday. If they can't do that then maybe they should be to ones to move to Pitt or Rutgers versus the loyal fans that deserve better.

As much as I hate to say it Saturday is a big test for Franklin. He needs to show the fan-base that he both recognizes the problem and has a solution. If we see the same 3 and outs this weekend it tells me he is just a recruiter.
Lets see some wrinkles, and if we are handcuffed by Hacks inability to execute anything other than an out from the shotgun than sit him on the bench.

^^^^THIS^^^^...The coaches had 9 months to fix the problem. They also had zero in game strategies for Temple....you woulda thought that after the 5th or 6th sack that we would have gone to max protect or 5 wide and spread them out...we did nothing. If Hack still hangs on to the ball to long...the staff had 9 months to fix the problem....he still throws the ball in the dirt....problem was never fixed....this is coaching more than just players.

Two things...
1) Extremely well written and spot-on. Kudos.
2) I have to confess, I had to look up the word apoplectic. lol

Reactions: Obliviax
Marshall - there's NO excuse for being unprepared at this level of football especially for the first game of the year where they had weeks to get ready. I definitely put that on the coaches. This is not one embarrassing loss, it's a continuation from last year with ZERO improvement. Coaches are paid handsomely to come up with a gameplan and put "our" players in a position to be successful - neither happened Saturday. If they can't do that then maybe they should be to ones to move to Pitt or Rutgers versus the loyal fans that deserve better.
I think Pitt or Rutgers would welcome JF with open arms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT