ADVERTISEMENT

O.T. Faces II

m48tank

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2014
suburb of Donation
We're coming into the toughest weekend of the year for me. You guys helped me through a tough time last year and I hope for your understanding again. It seems that much comes back to me at this time of year. I just spoke with Kenny (TBTJE) The best tank jockey ever! I went through two other drivers who did not make it. Kenny and I served on "MOTHER" #460 and she always brought us home (not always in one piece - but always home!
I know others served combat duty in Viet Nam and maybe I'm the most vocal but at this time of year it all seems to come out.
I see " the faces" of guys who weren't as lucky and Kenny and I and I cry for those faces who in most cases never experienced fatherhood and never really got a chance to "grow up". Their lives ended before they really began.
So .. I ask that you say a short prayer, between hamburgers and beer, for the guys who never got the chance to grow up.
Thank you very much!!!
m48tank

If you are seeing the faces of these guys this weekend, that is perfectly normal and to be expected. This is a weekend to remember them. Mourn them, remember them, celebrate them, do something meaningful for them. If you are seeing them all year round, seek some counseling help to get you through.
I can’t imagine what you and your buddies went through. Hell on Earth is the only term I can think of. My prayers are with you this weekend.

We're coming into the toughest weekend of the year for me. You guys helped me through a tough time last year and I hope for your understanding again. It seems that much comes back to me at this time of year. I just spoke with Kenny (TBTJE) The best tank jockey ever! I went through two other drivers who did not make it. Kenny and I served on "MOTHER" #460 and she always brought us home (not always in one piece - but always home!
I know others served combat duty in Viet Nam and maybe I'm the most vocal but at this time of year it all seems to come out.
I see " the faces" of guys who weren't as lucky and Kenny and I and I cry for those faces who in most cases never experienced fatherhood and never really got chance to "grow up". Their lives ended before they really began.
So .. I ask that you say a short prayer, between hamburgers and beer, for the guys who never got the chance to grow up.
Thank you very much!!!
m48tank

Will do and those that have fallen will not be forgotten.

you can find the inner strength you had in those most difficult times again. Trust in those positive beliefs that got you through it. . Remembering your buddies is good, and grieve for them.
All things must pass away. Perhaps you can do some things for others, help them. That has helped me get through the worst when negatives overwhelmed me.

If you are seeing the faces of these guys this weekend, that is perfectly normal and to be expected. This is a weekend to remember them. Mourn them, remember them, celebrate them, do something meaningful for them. If you are seeing them all year round, seek some counseling help to get you through.
I can’t imagine what you and your buddies went through. Hell on Earth is the only term I can think of. My prayers are with you this weekend.
No it's pretty much this time of year - although when Kenny and I see each other or talk on the phone the faces come back as we discuss Peanut or "John Wayne" or Sar' Pierce or Claude from South Carolina or the Cajun kid from Layfette LA.

We honor those who gave their lives for us by how we live our lives. From the Gettysburg Address (it’s about those who fought in Gettysburg but really applies to all of our fallen):

“But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”

I did not serve and my Dad did in The Korean . I have had the good fortune to speak with many Vietnam Vets through the years. As you well know, some share everything, some share nothing , and everything in between. The stories are chilling. My utmost respect and thanks to all those who served. May you find peace in doing what you were called to do and you were blessed to make it home. Thank you!!

Reactions: m48tank and 91Joe95
It sounds like it is not nearly enough but I can't begin to thank you and your friends enough. Thank you. I visited Nan two years ago with my brother who is a retired vet. We were in Hanoi, Halong Bay, DaNang, Hui, Quang Tri and Khe Sahn. What was the most amazing was the gratitude of the Vietnamese people. I would have never guessed. They were thankful to the US Army. Why? They feel, despite the takeover of the North, that they are in a better world had there been no war. They feel Nam was a single battle in the cold war, a war that was won by the West. And despite being communist they feel their economy and human rights are so much better. And they know the world is better too.

What can I possibly add? I’ve had experience in another topic that people stumble with generally and the popular thing is to avoid conversations. I have had so many people impacted tell me that they feel better talking about it as opposed to ignoring it and suppressing it. I think there is merit in talking about your experience to others or even here. Honor those comrades through conversation and remembrance as a sign of respect and love. Reach out to a family member of theirs if possible even after all these years. You sacrificed greatly as did others who paid the ultimate price. Your story and theirs should be told and remembered for the courage you showed. You have all our respect and thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT