ADVERTISEMENT

NWCA ALL-STAR CLASSIC

I'd like to see Kyle Dake (Silver at Senior Worlds, 74kg) standing next to Mitchell Messenbrink (Gold at U20 Worlds, 74kg).

I think the differences would be stark.

Every time I see MM I think to myself: this is the young man who decimated the 162.8lb weight class at U20 Worlds? This string bean? I realize that appearances and brute strength aren't everything in wrestling, but he really does look like he could make 157 with relative ease.
The eye test, and last year's Levi weight rumors seem to lean Mitch will be the longer term 157 and Levi 165 respectively.

The classic seems to indicate Levi is still 157 this year. Granted as an exhibition I suspect it will not break the shirt.

Combined the most plausible outcome is Alex is our official 165 this year.

157 could go either way but I see it as a 80/20 favoring Levi going, if not close to a lock at this point.

Reactions: Ja1339
The eye test, and last year's Levi weight rumors seem to lean Mitch will be the longer term 157 and Levi 165 respectively.

The classic seems to indicate Levi is still 157 this year. Granted as an exhibition I suspect it will not break the shirt.

157 could go either way but I see it as a 80/20 favoring Levi going, if not close to a lock at this point.

Every time I see MM I think to myself: this is the young man who decimated the 162.8lb weight class at U20 Worlds? This string bean? I realize that appearances and brute strength aren't everything in wrestling, but he really does look like he could make 157 with relative ease.
Do you go back far enough to remember Andy Matter? He was "skinnier" than Bo Nickal, but wrestled with a great power. It looks like MM may be that kind of guy. That would be fun to watch. I don't know if MM will be a pinner like Matter or Nickal. We'll see!

Do you go back far enough to remember Andy Matter? He was "skinnier" than Bo Nickal, but wrestled with a great power. It looks like MM may be that kind of guy. That would be fun to watch. I don't know if MM will be a pinner like Matter or Nickal. We'll see!

Nope. Before I was born.

Mitchell Messenbrink might be able to get a good number of people in the third period; some guys are just going to fall apart against him. His pace is a weapon he'll be able to utilize against a lot of people. That attack rate is insane.

Nope. Before I was born.

Mitchell Messenbrink might be able to get a good number of people in the third period; some guys are just going to fall apart against him. His pace is a weapon he'll be able to utilize against a lot of people. That attack rate is insane.
Some people really develop their pinning skills at PSU. I think particularly of Zain after his RS year (bow & arrow), but also I think Nolf also really improved his pinning at PSU. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens for MM as well.

Not just a rumor…. I believe Cael was quoted last year as saying Levi wasn’t going to be long for 157.

Not just a rumor…. I believe Cael was quoted last year as saying Levi wasn’t going to be long for 157.
Not the exact words but you are correct sir, hence 157 at the classic seems to indicate one more year before jumping to 165, and this year an unlikely redshirt.

Last edited:
ICYMI, there are tickets for the Classic listed in the tickets thread above. don't know if they have been taken.

Jacori Teemer:

“I feel good physically. I’m practicing fine, things are going my way in practice, so I should be ready 100 percent,” he said.

“It was safety measures they were just trying to do. I just got hit, my eye was blacked up; I don’t have a concussion.”

I’m sure it’s a coaches decision. But couldn’t they have just pulled him immediately so that another stud could match up with Levi. Instead, Jacori hypes it and it’s another example of wrestling hype falling short. Of course, it still has other great matchups, but it’s disappointing in particular for Penn State fans who have this event in their backyard. I don’t know, it just bugs me.

Jacori Teemer:

“I feel good physically. I’m practicing fine, things are going my way in practice, so I should be ready 100 percent,” he said.

“It was safety measures they were just trying to do. I just got hit, my eye was blacked up; I don’t have a concussion.”

I’m sure it’s a coaches decision. But couldn’t they have just pulled him immediately so that another stud could match up with Levi. Instead, Jacori hypes it and it’s another example of wrestling hype falling short. Of course, it still has other great matchups, but it’s disappointing in particular for Penn State fans who have this event in their backyard. I don’t know, it just bugs me.
Did I miss something? Those quotes are why he was pulled from the Journeyman vent last week.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Is it just me or does anyone else immediately think MM is Morgan Macintosh?

Messenbrink is my favorite new recruit. I enjoy his wrestling style. Also, he's certainly not afraid of competition if he thinks he can win the spot here.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
ICYMI, Byers said over the weekend that he will be calling these matches on the radio ONLY. No LionVision, per flo’s exclusive streaming rights. Not sure if this includes live radio apps like TuneIn or not.

Reactions: backdrft76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT