ADVERTISEMENT

Now that I am somewhat calmer......

The OL pass blocks well and not so much run blocking. Further, the RB appear to be tentative Unless there is a 5 years hole, they go laterally,

It is a system failure, and yes, our O-lineman are wonderful at standing straight up(they do this on pass and run plays) and pass blocking. That said, this offensive line has been underperforming for 8 years and consistently abhorrent on short yardage running plays.

Reactions: BBrown
I see your point, I am not suggesting we revert back to ground and pound, I do think old Big10/Midwestern(whatever you want to call it) big physical offensive and defensive lines would be helpful here. Not necessarily changing your offense, but the mere ability to run the ball and stop the run when you have to. It is literally what separates elite teams from the pretends. The Alabama's and OSU's of the world can ground and pound when they need to, but certainly have spread offenses with athletes abound. If we had a physically dominant O-line, we simply do not lose to Illinois.
This. Why can't PSU have a physical OL and still run a more open offense. The inability to run out the clock has cost this team under JF several games, including a couple against OSU. Yet JF repeatedly fails to get physical lineman. There is a very good chance that they win the Iowa and ILL games.

Even if you don't get the high end 5 stars that Bama and OSU get, there has to be others out there that PSU can get.

Reactions: ram2020
The offensive line has been an issue for years, 8+. For some reason we cannot run block. I have heard Trautwein needs to get his guys in here so maybe in a year or two but he has not done anything to date and the confidence in him is waning big time.

The Mustipher loss is exposing our D-line weakness. We just don't have the talent of some past years. Basically it shows we have one guy who is elite and can stop the run and everyone else is average at best. Maybe they develop but we need to recruit D lineman that can be game changers by their second year in the program or first (think DDS). Not take forever and a day to develop and be pretty good by the time they are a senior. Had high hopes for Ebrke but he gets shoved around on running plays.

LBs are decent but had a bad game against Illinois for some reason. The Bielema game plan just befuddled Pry and Franklin. LBs over ran plays, could not get off blocks, weak tackling, you name it. Illinois set the blueprint on how to manhandle us.

We are not built to be a power team that is also explosive. That is why Bama and O$U are so good. Franklin is a finesse coach and that culture permeates through the coaching, the program and the culture. Sure we have a good strength program but there is an intangible of grit and toughness that needs to start at the top and we don't have it.

What was so telling to me on Saturday is when Illinois had 3rd and 3 or 4, you knew they could QB sneak it and just run us over for the 1st down. We knew it was coming and we were helpless. On the other hand when we were facing 3rd and 3, there was no way we could run and get close to converting it. Joe is rolling over in his grave.

I am not advocating a ground and pound methodical ball control offense. We have athletes and we need to utilize them to our advantage so I love the MY hire. We need those explosive plays for sure. But we cannot be devoid of a power game. We can do both but Franklin has yet to figure it out and the natives are restless.

On the RBs, puzzling to me. Supposed strength of the team has deteriorated into a weakness. Yes, the O-line is weak and soft but the RBs are lousy. Slow to the hole, poor vision, go down too easy. Cain just does not have it. Man if he just stretched the freakin' ball out he scores on that one OT play. I think it was OT #45 or #46, not sure. Lee has some power but is slow and now maybe out for a while, who knows. Lovett does not play much so what does that tell you?
All in all a big disappointment. If we don't hit it next year with Singleton and the kid from Florida than Seider needs to pack his bags. Even with a bad O-line our RBs need to show more. Can't always have holes as big as the Grand Canyon.

Reactions: MacNit07 and BBrown
What exactly is Big Ten football? The Iowa O, UW? Those offenses get you no where outside the big, look at conference record outside Big. I do not understand the three yards and a cloud of dust obsession of some fans. The OL underJF has been underwhelming, but i am not ready to scrap everything yet.
8 years not enough to produce a mid-level, serviceable offensive line?

The offensive line has been an issue for years, 8+. For some reason we cannot run block. I have heard Trautwein needs to get his guys in here so maybe in a year or two but he has not done anything to date and the confidence in him is waning big time.

The Mustipher loss is exposing our D-line weakness. We just don't have the talent of some past years. Basically it shows we have one guy who is elite and can stop the run and everyone else is average at best. Maybe they develop but we need to recruit D lineman that can be game changers by their second year in the program or first (think DDS). Not take forever and a day to develop and be pretty good by the time they are a senior. Had high hopes for Ebrke but he gets shoved around on running plays.

LBs are decent but had a bad game against Illinois for some reason. The Bielema game plan just befuddled Pry and Franklin. LBs over ran plays, could not get off blocks, weak tackling, you name it. Illinois set the blueprint on how to manhandle us.

We are not built to be a power team that is also explosive. That is why Bama and O$U are so good. Franklin is a finesse coach and that culture permeates through the coaching, the program and the culture. Sure we have a good strength program but there is an intangible of grit and toughness that needs to start at the top and we don't have it.

What was so telling to me on Saturday is when Illinois had 3rd and 3 or 4, you knew they could QB sneak it and just run us over for the 1st down. We knew it was coming and we were helpless. On the other hand when we were facing 3rd and 3, there was no way we could run and get close to converting it. Joe is rolling over in his grave.

I am not advocating a ground and pound methodical ball control offense. We have athletes and we need to utilize them to our advantage so I love the MY hire. We need those explosive plays for sure. But we cannot be devoid of a power game. We can do both but Franklin has yet to figure it out and the natives are restless.

On the RBs, puzzling to me. Supposed strength of the team has deteriorated into a weakness. Yes, the O-line is weak and soft but the RBs are lousy. Slow to the hole, poor vision, go down too easy. Cain just does not have it. Man if he just stretched the freakin' ball out he scores on that one OT play. I think it was OT #45 or #46, not sure. Lee has some power but is slow and now maybe out for a while, who knows. Lovett does not play much so what does that tell you?
All in all a big disappointment. If we don't hit it next year with Singleton and the kid from Florida than Seider needs to pack his bags. Even with a bad O-line our RBs need to show more. Can't always have holes as big as the Grand Canyon.
Agree with everything you said except for AK. I think he's been excellent and outside of PJ one of our best Defensive players.
Brooks has been awesome but did not have a good game on Sat. Was that because of the missing PJ?
Smith I'm still waiting for. I hear all these great things but really don't see him doing much.
I don't know how we would do it because of the limited # of coaches but I'd like to see a dedicated LB'r coach. Pry as LB'r coach is just ehhh.

Agree with everything you said except for AK. I think he's been excellent and outside of PJ one of our best Defensive players.
Brooks has been awesome but did not have a good game on Sat. Was that because of the missing PJ?
Smith I'm still waiting for. I hear all these great things but really don't see him doing much.
I don't know how we would do it because of the limited # of coaches but I'd like to see a dedicated LB'r coach. Pry as LB'r coach is just ehhh.
Smith is not dominating like a 5 star should. Watch, he will declare go in 1st and second round then be a very good NFL player. Total wtf!

Admittedly I was not focused on Ebeke's play on Sat so maybe he was decent. I hope he was a bright spot. I would have thought he would have made more plays for negative yards. He is our best pass rusher but clearly that was an unneeded skill in that game.

If you would have told any PSU fan before that game that Illinois is going to lose 3 turnovers and pass for 38 yards then we all would have guaranteed at least a two score PSU victory. Amazing how poorly prepared we were with no in-game adjustments combined with the uncanny ability to make very few clutch plays and none when it mattered most. Colossal physical and mental breakdown.

Reactions: MacNit07
It all boils down to Franklin understanding the value in playing Big ten football and winning in the trenches...
The B1G paradox: You need to be tough and physical to win in the Big Ten, but you need to recruit speed and explosiveness to win a national championship. It's really hard to get both in one place, unless you are one of the five or so schools who can recruit 300+ lb linemen who are also fast.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT