ADVERTISEMENT

Note to Joel Klatt

Nope, that’s the guy. —Same guy with shoulder injuries and multiple ACL’ s over the last 4-5 years.
He’s well protected, and taking fewer chances than before….. but he’s still fragile.
Actually that’s called smart. Penix does an excellent job manipulating the pocket to buy more time for receivers to get open. So every QB who gets hurt is fragile huh?

I have never said that Washington will win. I have said that their offense is good enough to win and that Michigan should not be viewed as a prohibitive favorite. As national championship teams go Michigan is mediocre and Michigan has a history of choking as it did last year against TCU. Michigan could very well win but as I said I don't in any sense view it as a prohibitive favorite.

scUM barely beat a very average Bama team. Anybody being honest would admit that a really poor Auburn team looked better against Bama than scUM did.

That's possible if Washington has a collapse, but I think Big Ten defenses are a bit overrated this year, though I'm basing that on Penn State and Ohio State's performances in the bowls, both of which you can make a lot of excuses for if you're into that. But there just weren't many really good offenses in the league this year.

Michigan had 6 sacks on Milroe. That sounds really impressive. But so did Texas A&M and a couple of others had 5 (Arkansas and Texas). We thought Alabama had cleaned that up, but the back half of their schedule wasn't very good, except for Georgia (0 sacks), which isn't as dominant up front as it has been. But I personally think Milroe was full of himself before the Michigan game and likely didn't prepare with the right mindset. He seemed a little too self-congratulatory after beating Georgia. In any event, despite wearing the Alabama logo and winning 12 games, that team was fairly inconsistent this year, and definitely not up to the standard of Saban's best teams. Milroe was by far the best QB statistically that UM has seen this season (#7 overall, while Penix is #3 overall).

Back to my perhaps heretical/crackpot theory on the defenses not being that great. Texas had 0 sacks, but I believe 16 hurries against Penix. And he carved them up. Michigan had 1 sack against PSU (and 2 hurries), btw, vs. Ohio State's 4 sacks. So I'm not sure that I buy that they have such a fierce pass rush that UW will be shell shocked, as some seem to think. I don't expect the pass rush to get home as much as it did against Alabama, though constant pressure from different places could make Penix a little tentative. He's had some statistically bad games. But I'm going to go out in a limb and say that Michigan's defense isn't quite as successful in this game as it was against Alabama's inconsistent line. So then I believe Penix will have enough time to make some throws and they will be tested at corner in the secondary in a way they haven't since TCU. But regardless, my sense is that Washington seems to be able to adapt to whatever kind of game its opponent wants to play. A wild card in this is how effective is Dillon Johnson. He's their best back this year, by far. He can be very dangerous, but may be slowed in this one. On the other hand, Michigan is a very good running team and will try to run all over them. I have seen UW's defense look really bad at times, but they are good in crunch time. It kind of reminds me of some of our defenses of old where we'd give up a lot of yards but not points, at least when it mattered. If the UM secondary holds up better than I think it will and UW can't stop the run then UM can win handily, but I doubt they win by anything approaching 30. I'm betting it will be a much closer game than that if Michigan wins - maybe 10-14 points.

Pretty much the way I see it. The Huskies certainly *could* win, but...

Michigan 34
Washington 24

I have never said that Washington will win. I have said that their offense is good enough to win and that Michigan should not be viewed as a prohibitive favorite. As national championship teams go Michigan is mediocre and Michigan has a history of choking as it did last year against TCU. Michigan could very well win but as I said I don't in any sense view it as a prohibitive favorite.
Just out of curiosity.

What were your predictions for the Alabama game?

Just out of curiosity.

What were your predictions for the Alabama game?
I never really made any but in my mind I thought they would win a close game. I thought their quarterback would pass much better. ( later addition. Better way of saying it was that I thought it was close to a toss-up but that Alabama had a slight Edge mostly because I thought they had better Talent based on their recruiting rankings. Apparently, their offensive line is not very good this year)

Last edited:
Really impressed with Pinnix - he's the best QB in CFB and #2 is not close in terms of pure QB talent. Pinnix already has NFL style skills - he put so many balls on the #'s it was just ridiculous.... and it didn't matter if he was throwing a twenty-yarder or a 60-yarder, the ball was always right on the #'s. scUM's secondary looked a little slow in the Bama game - I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pinnix shreds their secondary, especially with U-dubs receiving core and OL which might be the best in the nation.
Stanford-133
Tulsa-131
MSU-98
Cal-127
Oregon-65
Arizona-89
ASU-124
USC-93
Utah-79
Oregon state-98
WSU-85
Texas-105
That comes out to an average of 94 in the country.

These are the passing defense rankings of all of Washington’s opponents this year. You say you think Michigans secondary looks slow. I would guess Michigans secondary could compete with all the defenses listed above. Washington will get theirs without a doubt but I don’t think they will get shredded as you say. I think this will be a one score game one way or the other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT