ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure if everyone realizes this, but Coach K is retiring after this season

christian-laettner-signed-16x20-basketball-photo-the-shot-insc-psa-itp-0_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I was invited to the 92 game @ The Spectrum but went to a birthday party in a bar on the Lower East Side of NYC and watched on TV with some drunken Portugese sailors.....bad call on my part....

Generally like Coach K and rooted for Duke vs. UNLV, Georgetown and Carolina teams of the 90s but am tired of the Coach K tributes. Found myself pulling hard for UNC for the last regular season game and will do so again tonight. Sort of like rooting against Geno on Sunday....nothing personal but just tired of same old, same old, blah, blah, blah. Upon reflection, that is likely how other schools felt about Coach Paterno.

If Nova somehow wins it all I win a pool that I'm in- but not likely. They may be able to win tonight with a special plan and some magic but will not win 2 in a row versus high quality teams with a thin bench and missing their most versatile player. Fingers crossed but not optimistic. V for Villanova, V for Victory!

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Why would anyone complain about it? Coach K deserves it. Even if you hate Duke he's earned the right to get this kind of attention on his way to retirement
I greatly respect Coach K. He is one of the handful of non leaches at the College Level. With that being said......the over the top CBS commentary has made me throw up 4 times this evening.......or maybe it is the 11 bourbon shots that I did.....whatever the reason.....the Coach K love fest was easily predictable...but also annoying.

I greatly respect Coach K. He is one of the handful of non leaches at the College Level. With that being said......the over the top CBS commentary has made me throw up 4 times this evening.......or maybe it is the 11 bourbon shots that I did.....whatever the reason.....the Coach K love fest was easily predictable...but also annoying.
Agreed. I went 4 Modelos and then Keystones until fully saturated. Great game. Carolina earned it.

My sister and daughter went to Wake so Duke is their ACC peer rival. Carolina is the WalMart fan school in NC so I've generally went against that tide but we do have close family friends w 2 daughters who went there.

My only allegiance to Duke is a former student who recently graduated from their law school...so the personal connections plus the Coach K love fest = me being a Tar Heel fan last night and Monday. Not any vitriol for K. I met him years ago at an event in NYC and have a photo...nice enough guy in a 1 minute interaction but time to move on...

If Paterno would have retired on his own terms prior to the scandal others would have been complaining about it when it was completely justified. Same with Coach K. It was probably the bourbon lol

If Paterno would have retired on his own terms prior to the scandal others would have been complaining about it when it was completely justified. Same with Coach K. It was probably the bourbon lol
Was wondering the same. With no Sandusky scandal Paterno would have been Lionized(pun intended). The praise for his Grand Experiment, his stressing academics, his donations to the library and other charities would have all been front and center.

We would loved it....others hated it.

C’est la vie

I know a lot of Non-Penn State fans were talking about why Paterno was still coaching in his 70’s and 80’s so you know a lot of people would have hated seeing and hearing about Paternos’s last season. Although I do wonder if Paterno would have handled his last season like Coach K did and announce his retirement before the season began and he and Duke named the successor.

In retrospect, that play isn't that amazing. Kentucky gave Laettner a turn around jumper at the foul line. And he was a good outside shooter. How many times out of 100 does he make that? 20? 25? 30? Not guarding the inbounder was incredibly dumb. Doing so would have many everything so much harder for Duke.

Reactions: bison13
In retrospect, that play isn't that amazing. Kentucky gave Laettner a turn around jumper at the foul line. And he was a good outside shooter. How many times out of 100 does he make that? 20? 25? 30? Not guarding the inbounder was incredibly dumb. Doing so would have many everything so much harder for Duke.
Not amazing? Are you serious? Thats why the play is still talked about 30 years later. Last second shot, 50 foot throw, Laettner is double teamed, the game is on the line with thousands of people watching you in person, with millions more watching you on tv, thats a lot of pressure for an 18-22 year old kid. That shot was pretty damn amazing.

Reactions: royboy
Not amazing? Are you serious? Thats why the play is still talked about 30 years later. Last second shot, 50 foot throw, Laettner is double teamed, the game is on the line with thousands of people watching you in person, with millions more watching you on tv, thats a lot of pressure for an 18-22 year old kid. That shot was pretty damn amazing.

The pass was probably more like 60 or 70 feet, but there was nobody in between the passer and Laettner. The Kentucky defenders just stood there with their arms straight up, as we knew they would because they didn't want to foul. Laettner didn't even have to hurry the show because he got the ball so easily. Kentucky should have guarded the inbounder, which would've made throwing the ball in a lot harder.

Reactions: bison13
The pass was probably more like 60 or 70 feet, but there was nobody in between the passer and Laettner. The Kentucky defenders just stood there with their arms straight up, as we knew they would because they didn't want to foul. Laettner didn't even have to hurry the show because he got the ball so easily. Kentucky should have guarded the inbounder, which would've made throwing the ball in a lot harder.
On 2nd look, one of the two Kentucky defenders didn't do anything. He just backed off. Watch it and check out 34 in blue. What a dope that guy was. He had time to get in Laettner's face a bit but just backed away.

You're being ridiculous which seems to be a trend

Reactions: royboy
I know a lot of Non-Penn State fans were talking about why Paterno was still coaching in his 70’s and 80’s so you know a lot of people would have hated seeing and hearing about Paternos’s last season. Although I do wonder if Paterno would have handled his last season like Coach K did and announce his retirement before the season began and he and Duke named the successor.
I hope he would have--it would have been best for recruiting, the team and him

Okay, maybe I'm wrong.
you are not wrong in that it was incredibly dumb to not guard the inbounder. A 6'9 great athlete throwing a 70 foot pass to a 6'11 great athlete with two defenders behind him is not that hard to complete. You are also not wrong in that Laettner will hit that turnaround at the Ft area at a high rate.

The circumstances and pressure of the situation make it a great play and thus the most talked about play of the last 30 years in CBB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT