ADVERTISEMENT

Not sold on Franklin but he's starting to warm on me

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
As you know he was on the bubble going into 2016. He felt it and knew enough to fire his under performing assistants. Now he keeps a list of coaches who impress him during coaches clinics. It put that Limegrower fella and others on notice. Lastly and in the JoePa tradition, he puts academics ahead of athletics. Witness the suspensions of players during the season, as well as Reid doing an internship with Intel. That said, I'm not sure about him as a game day tactician but leadership involves selling skills and he's pretty darn good at it.

I thank you and have a blessed evening.

Reactions: butchnitt
As you know he was on the bubble going into 2016. He felt it and knew enough to fire his under performing assistants. Now he keeps a list of coaches who impress him during coaches clinics. It put that Limegrower fella and others on notice. Lastly and in the JoePa tradition, he puts academics ahead of athletics. Witness the suspensions of players during the season, as well as Reid doing an internship with Intel. That said, I'm not sure about him as a game day tactician but leadership involves selling skills and he's pretty darn good at it.

9,446 posts and only 271 likes....go figure! Is there anything more pathetic than the poser-troll losers?

Yeah, B1G championship and Rose Bowl appearance coming off the second worst sanctions in history and #3 recruiting class. He sucks!

Nobody gives a flying fvck what you think. Go suck on an exhaust pipe.

Nobody gives a flying fvck what you think. Go suck on an exhaust pipe.

You better watch out PennsyOrafice is going to start harassing you for telling his fellow poser-troll to stick it where the sun doesn't shine..... Honestly, is there anything more pathetic than these posing-troll losers?

Not sure what you mean about bubbles, unless it was those champagne bubbles after holding up both of those Championship trophies, then pulling in the third ranked recruiting class, finishing 7th in the nation, and currently ranked 6th in the nation preseason, starting a run for a national championship.

Here's some info. CJF was never on the hot seat. Limey was contacted in Nov by CJF, during the season. CJF was already going to make changes, Limey was going to be a part of it.

Lets be honest, his in game coaching needs to improve and clock management, he would be first to admit that. Without Moorhead I have my doubts we even come close to that success last year. Always been a great recruiter and everything else he's A plus.

Reactions: kevin310
Without Jame's recruiting....Moorehead's schemes would have been less effective......

also James made the hire of Moorehead so he recognized an area of weakness and made a somewhat unknown A+ hire.

Lets be honest, his in game coaching needs to improve and clock management, he would be first to admit that. Without Moorhead I have my doubts we even come close to that success last year. Always been a great recruiter and everything else he's A plus.

The knee-jerk reaction of some posters here never ceases to amaze. Nobody says Franklin sucks. Look, the media said he was on the bubble. What else do 99.9% of us have to go on?! I mean Jesus get a grip! Second, measure-of-success is a matter of perspective. If you are content splitting with tOSU and Michigan and losing the Pitt then have at it. Your focus should be on getting to the BCS. As they say, if you aren't seeking to improve then you're falling behind your peers. As for Franklin's strong suit (recruiting), he has closed the gap on tOSU but he still aint there yet. Until then I guess we have to rely on him to doing more with less. Let's see if he can do an encore performance in 2017. As a great man once said, "You're never as good as you think you are when you win and you're never as bad as you think you are when you lose." Temper your enthusiasm. It will serve you well.

Have a blessed evening.

Is it that hard to realize, we didn't have the pieces to run what Franklin wanted to until last year?

Reactions: bwifan
I guess I would ask... Why would you believe the media in the first place? If you know they created it, then it's obviously not true. Sandy was quite adamant about it as well. It was never true. She knew this would take time.

He started with 7 scholarship O Lineman, and recruiting restrictions. What did people expect? It was predicted by the media that we would have losing seasons, take 10 years to possibly rebuild, and not get another 4 star recruit for at least 5 years. All were wrong. That's your media. Penn State is bigger than that, and proved it. Full speed ahead. Screw the naysayers.

Is it that hard to realize, we didn't have the pieces to run what Franklin wanted to until last year?

Or maybe we also didn't have a coach to run what Franklin wanted to run. That would be his fault, though he gets credit for fixing it.

Reactions: kevin310
I don't believe for one second he was on the hotseat - complete BS from idiot reporters and Jones is the the leader of these dopes.

Also, don't believe he was on the hot seat. However, if 2016 had been mediocre to poor, I would have expected PSU to delay consideration of a contract extension until after this coming season. That would have been messy.

I'm sure he'll sleep very well knowing he has your confidence.

The knee-jerk reaction of some posters here never ceases to amaze. Nobody says Franklin sucks. Look, the media said he was on the bubble. What else do 99.9% of us have to go on?! I mean Jesus get a grip! Second, measure-of-success is a matter of perspective. If you are content splitting with tOSU and Michigan and losing the Pitt then have at it. Your focus should be on getting to the BCS. As they say, if you aren't seeking to improve then you're falling behind your peers. As for Franklin's strong suit (recruiting), he has closed the gap on tOSU but he still aint there yet. Until then I guess we have to rely on him to doing more with less. Let's see if he can do an encore performance in 2017. As a great man once said, "You're never as good as you think you are when you win and you're never as bad as you think you are when you lose." Temper your enthusiasm. It will serve you well.

Have a blessed evening.

I have no idea what any of this means honestly. You seem to agree with me yet contradict yourself.

Where do you think he erred in clock management this past season? I can't think of an error that he made managing the game in 2016, and our second half results would seem to indicate that the in game coaching is pretty good.

Reactions: marshall23
Without Jame's recruiting....Moorehead's schemes would have been less effective......

also James made the hire of Moorehead so he recognized an area of weakness and made a somewhat unknown A+ hire.

Your last sentence is exactly why i said everything else is A+. I disagree with your first though, i personally think Moorheads schemes are so great he could have all 3 stars running around and be effective. One note i would add is JF did not recruit all of the kids who made an impact on O last year for Moorhead either. Not a knock on JF, he's getting more talented kids now, just a fact.

For 2 years JF seemed unprepared for many games and was in over his head in clock management, especially at the end of games. Last year was much better in regards to clock management and but I don't think there were as many tight games to reflect that. And the Rose Bowl to me was a complete coaching meltdown to lose that game as we went into a shell in the 4th on O instead of staying aggressive, that could/should be on Moorhead too, he's not exempt from that. Starting faster would be another major area for improvement and JF has said that. Playing from behind constantly will catch up to you and takes a lot out of a ball team (see Rose Bowl again) especially with multi talented teams like USC and your margin for error becomes much slimmer in a game.

I love James, love what he's done, who wouldn't. I just don't think he is the best in game coach. I think thats a fair and honest assessment from a die hard PSU fan. A+ everything else, B- in game coach so far to me. If he steps it up he can be unstoppable. Again, he knows this and has said it. He critiques himself harder than anybody because he has a desire to be the best.

Where do you think he erred in clock management this past season? I can't think of an error that he made managing the game in 2016, and our second half results would seem to indicate that the in game coaching is pretty good.

I think the USC game is prime example as I alluded to in previous post. The 4th quarter clock burn cost them the game. Again, could be on Moorhead too, but too predictable and played not to lose. And to me a game is 4 quarters, why the team is always in a hole to begin games is concerning. Great job making half time adjustments, of course. And if you are looking at a coach as a whole as I am over his 3 year tenure I can count multiple games in previous 2 years where coaching cost team wins, but a lot could be on Donovan.

Look I love James, not many other coaches i would want leading our troops. Question was raised on how he can improve, that's where i feel. He should get it corrected soon.

You're getting to close to the sun.

Your last sentence is exactly why i said everything else is A+. I disagree with your first though, i personally think Moorheads schemes are so great he could have all 3 stars running around and be effective. One note i would add is JF did not recruit all of the kids who made an impact on O last year for Moorhead either. Not a knock on JF, he's getting more talented kids now, just a fact.

For 2 years JF seemed unprepared for many games and was in over his head in clock management, especially at the end of games. Last year was much better in regards to clock management and but I don't think there were as many tight games to reflect that. And the Rose Bowl to me was a complete coaching meltdown to lose that game as we went into a shell in the 4th on O instead of staying aggressive, that could/should be on Moorhead too, he's not exempt from that. Starting faster would be another major area for improvement and JF has said that. Playing from behind constantly will catch up to you and takes a lot out of a ball team (see Rose Bowl again) especially with multi talented teams like USC and your margin for error becomes much slimmer in a game.

I love James, love what he's done, who wouldn't. I just don't think he is the best in game coach. I think thats a fair and honest assessment from a die hard PSU fan. A+ everything else, B- in game coach so far to me. If he steps it up he can be unstoppable. Again, he knows this and has said it. He critiques himself harder than anybody because he has a desire to be the best.

Good post.

The 4th Quarter of the Rose Bowl --- it almost felt like the entire team looked up and realized "holy crap, we're about to win the Rose Bowl!" and then started thinking too much as opposed to simply playing. All of our other big wins - we never really had time to think like that. Minnesota we won on the final play. We never led OSU while also possessing the football until the kneel downs. Wisconsin we led for much of the 4th quarter but it always felt up in the air until the 4th down stop.

In the Rose Bowl we had the few moments to think those thoughts. And we went from touchdowns on 7 consecutive drives (!!!!) to then immediately (!!!) going to 14 yards on 14 plays (!!!) to end the game. It's literally impossible to go further in terms of opposite ends of the spectrum.

The key for the future --- did the coaches and players learn from that experience? I do think so.

Last edited:

He may have been on your BUBBLE but as for the rest of the Nittany Nation I thank the Lord for sending him to PSU.

We are sure about you. You are an idiot.

Have a blessed evening.
@LaJolla Lion I need another translation from Cosmos to English. This looks a little long winded. Make it pithy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT