ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and Roster Management

NittanyPirate

Feb 18, 2007
Slick Rick Pitino and St John’s just landed a commitment from star Harvard transfer Chris Ledlum. Not exactly newsworthy for a college football board but there’s more. Ledlum is the 15th player on the roster(not necessarily on scholarship). I am guessing a current player might get processed off the team, but what exactly is stopping schools from substituting the scholarship limits set by the NCAA for NIL $? Ex. We don’t have a scholarship available for you but how about we give you $200,000 this year from our collective. (BTW that figure is a modest amount for a good transfer in cbb.)

This type of roster management is especially valuable for the free agency climate that’s been created. If basketball teams are using this strategy I imagine football teams will be/are already doing the same. I think it sucks but wanted those that did not know this is/will be happening to be aware.

I've had that same thought. No idea if there is an NCAA policy to prevent it, but knowing the NCAA I doubt it.

Reactions: psu1969a
Slick Rick Pitino and St John’s just landed a commitment from star Harvard transfer Chris Ledlum. Not exactly newsworthy for a college football board but there’s more. Ledlum is the 15th player on the roster(not necessarily on scholarship). I am guessing a current player might get processed off the team, but what exactly is stopping schools from substituting the scholarship limits set by the NCAA for NIL $? Ex. We don’t have a scholarship available for you but how about we give you $200,000 this year from our collective. (BTW that figure is a modest amount for a good transfer in cbb.)

This type of roster management is especially valuable for the free agency climate that’s been created. If basketball teams are using this strategy I imagine football teams will be/are already doing the same. I think it sucks but wanted those that did not know this is/will be happening to be aware.
Could explain a few walk ons that are very good.

Reactions: NittanyPirate
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT