ADVERTISEMENT

Nice blocking...

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
Re-watched some second half, and the OL was doing some nice things. By the 4Q Rutgers D was winded and not putting up a lot of fight, but still the PSU O was concentrating and executing. I think this lineup is going to be OK on Sat whether it's with McGovern or Dowrey.

If I hadn't seen Bates show so much potential at guard, I'd say PSU may have found a left tackle. He is a difference-maker out there with his atheticism and intelligence. Clearly Gonzalez has benefited from being between Bates and Gaia.

Gonzalez is improving rapidly. He's athletic and looks like he understands his assignments. Most of the time you don't need overwhelming physical strength, you just need to get to the spot and get the right angle.

Even Matt Millen had to give Gesicki some credit for some good blocks. Mike really does have some physical disavantages blocking -- his center of gravity is so high. But he's got some confidence and seems to be realizing he doesn't have to make the perfect block. As long as he doesn't whiff, just 50% is often enough for the play to succeed.

Again this was against a tired Rutgers D but I was glad to see Sterling Jenkins and Brosnan getting some work. Jenkin looks like a prototypical LT so great if he's progressing. Maybe he's a significant backup next year and competing for a starting job in 2018?

Finally, caveat that this was Rutgers, but I saw so much good blocking from the PSU wideouts. Thomkins and Hamilton you know about. Juwan Johnson is just dominant, so incredibly athletic and blocks so naturally. He was moving Rutgers DBs 10 yards out of the play -- so far that TV wasn't even showing his blocks some times, but he's great. Same with Charles. So great to see Charles and Johnson contributing significantly to the team even though there aren't a lot of opportunities to put the ball in their hands -- YET. These guys have THREE MORE YEARS to play at PSU -- incredible. They are both going to be stars IMHO.

These last couple of games of Gonzo getting real PT is should benefit PSU greatly next year. Gives the staff some film to review individually with him in the off season and let's the player know what he has to work on moving forward and makes those spring and fall reps that much more beneficial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT