ADVERTISEMENT

Nhsca nationals

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
Just checking out to see how the Harer boys are doing at Nationals. They are cleaning up.

Faith academy took their whole team and all in the quarters. This is scary they are all in the national quarters against the best kids in the country. Even some of their back ups are winning down there.

It’s also nice seeing PA hammers: Dom Sumpeloc, Caden Baum and Jaxon Butler all in the Quarters after not being able to compete at PIAA. Every talked about how good the current freshmen and sophomore classes are in pa. Add these guys too and it’s dynamite.

Is this tournament really good? Does it stack up to Super 32 or Fargo

Just checking out to see how the Harer boys are doing at Nationals. They are cleaning up.

Faith academy took their whole team and all in the quarters. This is scary they are all in the national quarters against the best kids in the country. Even some of their back ups are winning down there.

It’s also nice seeing PA hammers: Dom Sumpeloc, Caden Baum and Jaxon Butler all in the Quarters after not being able to compete at PIAA. Every talked about how good the current freshmen and sophomore classes are in pa. Add these guys too and it’s dynamite.

Is this tournament really good? Does it stack up to Super 32 or Fargo
NHSCA is divided by grade, so that already weakens the fields. And lately more kids are transitioning to freestyle immediately after the state tournaments. You’ll still get some good fields, but it’s nowhere near the tournament it once was.

Reactions: El-Jefe
NHSCA is divided by grade, so that already weakens the fields. And lately more kids are transitioning to freestyle immediately after the state tournaments. You’ll still get some good fields, but it’s nowhere near the tournament it once was.
Dividing the wrestlers by grade is stupid, I don't know why they do it that way. If they'd just open it up to all HS wrestlers a lot more top guys would show up and it would be similar to the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Dividing the wrestlers by grade is stupid, I don't know why they do it that way. If they'd just open it up to all HS wrestlers a lot more top guys would show up and it would be similar to the NCAA tournament.
I think it’s because the field size would be absurd otherwise. They want to take as many kids as they can and the only way to feasibly do that is by grades.

I think you’d see some uptick if they made it more exclusive and eliminated grades, but I still think a lot of kids get tired of folk by the time the HS season ends.

Reactions: hlstone
That is true. Even elementary wrestling is at least two age groups. You are right, just one grade level is strange and waters it down. What Faith is doing is incredible. They will be fun to watch the next few years.
Thoughts next year will they be the best team AA and AAA? They are getting young studs coming in too.

Reactions: hlstone
I went to the NHSCA tourney in, I think, 2000. That was a humdinger. To qualify, you had to be a Senior state place winner, maybe state champ, my memory is a bit vague.
The quality of wrestling was unbelievable. One weight class had several NCAA champs in it - the best weight class I'd ever seen up till then, anywhere. The Hawaiian kid from Harvard (Lee?) who was NCAA champ won over a bunch of studs.
I agree, the competition is much weaker.
I find it hard to believe that some kid has the money to fly to Virginia Beach from California: food, car rentals, motels - only to be decked in 20 seconds. You see a lot of that. People must have money to burn.

I watched most of the FCA matches. They mostly just mowed down the competition. They entered nine wrestlers who I recognized, and all nine are in the Qtr Finals. Some had 3 matches already. In the Round of 16, Botero put the kid from CT on his back so quickly and in such a surprising way that after that mat was slapped, the CT got up smiling. He was like, "WTF just hit me?"

It’s not that hard now to enter. They have no prior requirements or criteria to enter. It looks like a money grab. I watched that match with Botero. That kid didn’t know what hit him.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I watched most of the FCA matches. They mostly just mowed down the competition. They entered nine wrestlers who I recognized, and all nine are in the Qtr Finals. Some had 3 matches already. In the Round of 16, Botero put the kid from CT on his back so quickly and in such a surprising way that after that mat was slapped, the CT got up smiling. He was like, "WTF just hit me?"
I took 3rd back in 1995 as a senior and you had to be a state finalist during your high school career to qualify. Eric Guerrero won my weight. I lost first round and won 9 straight to take 3rd. Huge brackets with a lot of good kids. I wasn’t recruited by many D1 programs but after that I took recruiting trips to University of Wyoming, Clarion, Lock Haven, and Ohio University. Teague Moore won 112 and Mark Angle won 119 that year

Last edited:
Travis Lee from Cornell, NCAA champion 2003 and 2005.
Thanks. I looked it up. The tournament was in 2001, sorry. And Lee didn't win that weight class. I remember him wrestling lights out during the tournament and I guess he impressed me so much I forgot he didn't win. I have a clever day-calendar on my desk. Today's saying, I kid you not: "The palest ink is better than the best memory."

Other kids in the weight class: Joe Dubuque, Ricky LaForge, Nick Simmons, Shawn Bunch. I remember Simmons choking people out and the refs allowing it. I was sitting with Simmons' parents at the time and had to swallow my comments as he choked-out some poor sap.

I was following Joel Edwards rather closely that year since he was local to me (Upper Darby) and my kids faced him back in youth wrestling. I sat a while with Troy Sunderland watching Edwards wrestle, trying to push him to recruit Joel. I guess I can take credit for his recruitment, huh?

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
Seidel is a machine on top. He may end up a career 125. He dad is a really little gentlemen.

Pennsylvania is lighting up nhsca. Harer tf in the quarters. All the suspended wrestlers are into the semis (Baum, Gill, Sumpolec and Butler). Think about adding these guys to already tough AA.
Faith advanced about everyone into the semis. They are well coached and honestly could go down as one of the best PA ever assembled of all time.

Evanitsky looked awesome in his quarters against Becca’s Scanlan.

Why didn’t Forest, Bassett, Gibson and those guys go. Could get some matches back like the others who were suspended. I was disappointed they weren’t in the brackets.

St Ed’s has a bunch of young bucks down there too. I would like to see St Ed’s vs Faith the next few years.

Thanks. I looked it up. The tournament was in 2001, sorry. And Lee didn't win that weight class. I remember him wrestling lights out during the tournament and I guess he impressed me so much I forgot he didn't win. I have a clever day-calendar on my desk. Today's saying, I kid you not: "The palest ink is better than the best memory."

Other kids in the weight class: Joe Dubuque, Ricky LaForge, Nick Simmons, Shawn Bunch. I remember Simmons choking people out and the refs allowing it. I was sitting with Simmons' parents at the time and had to swallow my comments as he choked-out some poor sap.

I was following Joel Edwards rather closely that year since he was local to me (Upper Darby) and my kids faced him back in youth wrestling. I sat a while with Troy Sunderland watching Edwards wrestle, trying to push him to recruit Joel. I guess I can take credit for his recruitment, huh?
Joel Edwards was a pretty big dude for a 97 lber. I recall the incident with Trenge from Lehigh..........I remember a few years earlier, Aaron (can't remember his last name) from up around Smethport, kind of choked out a Lehigh guy for the win........Josh Moore and Clendenon from Lehigh had some bad blood. It was a heated rivalry before Cael's teams started boat racing them.

Reactions: Split shot
well it really depends on which kids come!

Joel Edwards was a pretty big dude for a 97 lber. I recall the incident with Trenge from Lehigh..........I remember a few years earlier, Aaron (can't remember his last name) from up around Smethport, kind of choked out a Lehigh guy for the win........Josh Moore and Clendenon from Lehigh had some bad blood. It was a heated rivalry before Cael's teams started boat racing them.
Joel was pretty big, and he had some skill. He knocked off Phil Davis in the state semi's, so he's got that going for him. Re Trenge: as his hand was raised at Hershey his Sr yr in HS, I was calling my brother in FL, a former Lehigh wrestler, to tell him that he got a peach. He had already committed. I really liked Trenge. It was his hard luck to run into Cael.

Joel was pretty big, and he had some skill. He knocked off Phil Davis in the state semi's, so he's got that going for him. Re Trenge: as his hand was raised at Hershey his Sr yr in HS, I was calling my brother in FL, a former Lehigh wrestler, to tell him that he got a peach. He had already committed. I really liked Trenge. It was his hard luck to run into Cael.
Getting Cael in a finals was bad luck, but the loss to Hahn has to freaking hurt to this day. He had that one won.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT