ADVERTISEMENT

Will Betancourt

The weird thing though is that he lists Michigan who has Amine at 165, unless Malik is planning to go up.

Or maybe Monday is just listing schools without having actually talked to the coaches yet.
Maybe he’s just listing schools in hopes that North Carolina will put some kinda “package” together to entice him back.

Reactions: GantryZ
Could be, given the confusion about his own eligibility, deleting tweets, school list etc it seems like Monday may just be winging it.

Reactions: PASLP2
Could be, given the confusion about his own eligibility, deleting tweets, school list etc it seems like Monday may just be winging it.
has he explained how he has any eligibility left? because i'm lost on that one lol

has he explained how he has any eligibility left? because i'm lost on that one lol
17 - RS
18 - FR
19 - SO (Injured I believe)
20 - JR
21 - SR (Didn't count)
22 - SR (didn't wrestle)

So there's a few questions, I know there is some clock start when you enroll and I don't know Kennedy's eligibility status this past year so maybe it counted. If it did count, I think the question comes down to if he can get 2019 back or maybe argue he was "injured" in 2022. If he really wants eligibility, I think he can get another year with how generous the NCAA seems to be with them.

Beau was at 149 this year, and may move to 141, not 133.

Yea, I'm sorry, that's what I meant - his body type more conducive to 141 than 149 (i.e., 141 is a transitionary weight where Beau's body type is still fairly average for the weight class; whereas, he is going to be below average in terms of length at 149).. IOW, a lot of 141's are coming up from 133 and Beau would not be at a scrambling disadvantage, but at 149 I think he was oftentimes at a disadvantage in scrambles. I got the weight classes in my thought all scrambled in my earlier post - was making a quick post at lunch... - again sorry about that. Anyway, was trying to say that I think he fits in better at 41 via body type than 149 as many 141 lbers are coming from below. Many longer 141s might go higher, but Beau seems to fit more naturally at 41 than 49 imho.

Last edited:
He’ll pick Rutgers and there will be people who actually think we were beaten out for his services
To be honest, Michigan actually makes the most sense. Rutgers has an AA at 174 (Jackson Turley). To my knowledge, Michigan has absolutely nobody at 174. ASU has Cael Valencia.

Reactions: Ruby Tues
He’ll pick Rutgers and there will be people who actually think we were beaten out for his services
i.e., Rutger was the only plan for Monday, and Goodale said he’d ok it only if a Top 4 list “with 3 good programs” was put out there to show how Rutger can run with the big dogs (and also so he could make a Boom tweet about it later).

That article is no more reliable and probably less than the speculation here. The title makes it sound like Cael expects this but in the article there is no indication that the author even talked to Cael and if he had he would definitely included that.

Reactions: HAMMER167
That article is no more reliable and probably less than the speculation here. The title makes it sound like Cael expects this but in the article there is no indication that the author even talked to Cael and if he had he would definitely included that.
Yeah, we at least have Willie and Clay here who get real info. They have what? Twitter and this message board as sources? LOL.

Yea, I'm sorry, that's what I meant - his body type more conducive to 141 than 149 (i.e., 141 is a transitionary weight where Beau's body type is still fairly average for the weight class; whereas, he is going to be below average in terms of length at 149).. IOW, a lot of 141's are coming up from 133 and Beau would not be at a scrambling disadvantage, but at 149 I think he was oftentimes at a disadvantage in scrambles. I got the weight classes in my thought all scrambled in my earlier post - was making a quick post at lunch... - again sorry about that. Anyway, was trying to say that I think he fits in better at 41 via body type than 149 as many 141 lbers are coming from below. Many longer 141s might go higher, but Beau seems to fit more naturally at 41 than 49 imho.
Doubling down. It's a bold strategy, Cotton.

Great wrestlers tend to be great wrestlers whether they're moving up in class or down in class. Moving up in class can be tough for good wrestlers, but generally, the great wrestlers pull it off without a hitch. I'm sure some can cite some exceptions, but I'm more of a norm type of guy (insert Cheers joke).

@El-Jefe points out Pletcher who kind of cuts both ways with his career. Did much better moving down, but then moved up again without a hitch. Although I would point out that Pletcher's first go at 141 was his trFR year. If this past year was BB's trFR year I'd be a bit more bullish on him and wouldn't put a lot of stock into what happened. But IMO this year was pretty much a rerun of what we saw in 2020-21.

But maybe Covid is pushing everybody's progression back. Who can say?

And to be clear, I'm not saying BB is not very good. Just saying that when you have talent, the road to being a top-20 guy is pretty clear once you hit a college room. That next step is a far bigger challenge. And I'd like to see some evidence that BB has cleared that hurdle before counting on the 10+ points because it's tripped up many a guy before - even at PSU under Cael.
Yeah… but… Micic.

sorry but rutgers will always be middle of the pack in bigs!
Not saying it will happen, but I can envision a scenario where they move up. Located in a good high school wrestling area, with the right coach and administration/alumni support, they might be transformed into a program that could compete with Iowa, Michigan and tOSU in that 2nd level group. That combo worked for PSU 10 years ago. I can think of 3 individuals that could pull that off as coaches with the aforementioned support.

Reactions: nitlion6
Not saying it will happen, but I can envision a scenario where they move up. Located in a good high school wrestling area, with the right coach and administration/alumni support, they might be transformed into a program that could compete with Iowa, Michigan and tOSU in that 2nd level group. That combo worked for PSU 10 years ago. I can think of 3 individuals that could pull that off as coaches with the aforementioned support.
I could see someone like Burroughs taking Rutger from a perennial Top 10 to a perennial Top 5 program, regularly challenging for a team trophy. He's a Jersey guy and has already shown that he intends to come back to NJ when he said he was starting the All I See is Gold Academy. He's a great ambassador for the sport and I think he could do really well recruiting.

However, I think the list of coaches is really short to be able to make Rutger a national powerhouse. The talent is there, but they have to entice the kids to stay in-state. The stud wrestlers will come across to PSU and the brains will go to Princeton. Without an opportunity to train with one of the best to ever lace up their shoes, I just don't see it happening.

Reactions: Antaeus
I can think of 3 individuals that could pull that off as coaches with the aforementioned support.
Cael, Casey, and Cody aren't leaving.

Seriously: is there any sport in which Rutger retains the top in-state talent? They never have in football either.

Reactions: donboy6499

Seriously: is there any sport in which Rutger retains the top in-state talent? They never have in football either.

One of the best women's track and field middle distance prospect in decades went from Trenton, NJ down to Texas A&M and won an 800m OLY gold at the ripe old age of 18. First 800m gold for the US, male or female, since 1972. She then anchored the winning 4x400m relay squad.

I wonder why RU cant keep their kids home?

j/k

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

I could see someone like Burroughs taking Rutgers from a perennial Top 10 to a perennial Top 5 program, regularly challenging for a team trophy

Just checking…. You do realize that the Rutgers Perennial Top 10 claim is a boastful remark made by the Rutgers faithful…they’re not actually a Perennial Top 10 team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT