ADVERTISEMENT

New hotel coming to downtown State College?

Where will students take their swimming test?

I had my swimming test there in the summer of 1967, the last year before the pool closed.
So here I was, a nerdy 17-year-old freshman two weeks after high school graduation. After my swim test, someone knocked my Buddy Holly glasses onto the locker room floor, and one of the lenses shattered. I walked around campus like that my first two weeks before I was able to get it replaced.

That, and for a long time the same company owned almost all of them (maybe still does). So there was no competition, really.
Yep,it wasn't long ago when our leaders bent over to the NCAA and they couldn't get above 75% occupied in this town.

I subleased an apartment for a summer in the small house next to it that will be demolished.

My girlfriend then (who would eventually become my wife) rented an apartment over The Lions Pride the same summer. I think I spent two nights in my own place that summer. We never thought about living in the same apartment, thinking our parents would freak.

Years later after we were married my mom told me that she and my dad thought it was stupid that we wasted so much money having separate apartments that summer.

I subleased an apartment for a summer in the small house next to it that will be demolished.

My girlfriend then (who would eventually become my wife) rented an apartment over The Lions Pride the same summer. I think I spent two nights in my own place that summer. We never thought about living in the same apartment, thinking our parents would freak.

Years later after we were married my mom told me that she and my dad thought it was stupid that we wasted so much money having separate apartments that summer.
So fine my friend... l have found in my life that LOVE is so wonderful, hopefully you will find it again. I can't believe that I could exist if my wife was gone.

Anyone ever stay in a hotel with sleeping pods like they have in Tokyo?

Do you think that would work in State College? When I go to Homecoming I just want a place to crash. I am not looking for a big fancy room. I would like to stay in a pod. I think it looks cool. Kind of like an overnight train( Which I have never done). Each pod has a tv, internet, temp setting.

I wonder if they make them mobile. A town with a train could park a bunch of rail cars. Do they have different size units for single, double, or family? Any with a private bath. I can deal with a public bath if it is clean.

Capsule_Hotels_1506494949.jpg

Well economics. The greater supply, the lower the price...in theory

Also the older generation for some reason is adverse to using airbnb and such and getting an entire 5 bedroom house for the weekend for less cost than renting a crappy room at the Super 8.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

Do you think that would work in State College? When I go to Homecoming I just want a place to crash. I am not looking for a big fancy room. I would like to stay in a pod. I think it looks cool. Kind of like an overnight train( Which I have never done). Each pod has a tv, internet, temp setting.

I wonder if they make them mobile. A town with a train could park a bunch of rail cars. Do they have different size units for single, double, or family? Any with a private bath. I can deal with a public bath if it is clean.

There are probably 300 different zoning rules in State College that would make that not feasible. But an interesting idea. You could at least get the train to the Nittany Mall area.

Kind of like an overnight train( Which I have never done).

Take it from my experience as a teenager whose family refused to fly, but still wanted to travel cross country, overnight sleeping cars on Amtrak suck! If anyone has any questions on that kind of thing feel free to ask because I've traveled from PA to Cali, Arizona, Florida, Montana etc. on separate trips via the Amtrak. Once I turned 21 and was allowed to fly I was soo happy to get to my cross country destination without spending 3 days on the train.

The rooms are very tiny (6'6x7'6) and even with the beds folded into the walls during the day the rooms can feel very claustrophobic. In that space is also a bathroom, table and chair. At least in the regular cars you can see throughout the car making it seem more open. The mattresses are pretty rough and with the bounce / sway / vibration of the train laying down really doesn't make sleeping any easier.

Take it from my experience as a teenager whose family refused to fly, but still wanted to travel cross country, overnight sleeping cars on Amtrak suck! If anyone has any questions on that kind of thing feel free to ask because I've traveled from PA to Cali, Arizona, Florida, Montana etc. on separate trips via the Amtrak. Once I turned 21 and was allowed to fly I was soo happy to get to my cross country destination without spending 3 days on the train.

The rooms are very tiny (6'6x7'6) and even with the beds folded into the walls during the day the rooms can feel very claustrophobic. In that space is also a bathroom, table and chair. At least in the regular cars you can see throughout the car making it seem more open. The mattresses are pretty rough and with the bounce / sway / vibration of the train laying down really doesn't make sleeping any easier.

You won't be in the room during the day. You would be at a game, tailgating, bar hoping, restaurant or whatever. Second difference is nothing will be moving so there won't be any bounce or vibration from the train.

The pods are just a place to sleep.

Good to hear. Hotels are tricky in that town. Capacity is nowhere near adequate for the peak, but you could never sustain the peak capacity all year long. I get why they charge huge amounts on football weekend
Actually, the economics of hotels in State College has improved a lot over the years. There are many times during the year where you can’t get rooms at many places, or they are close to sold out. Many more conferences and events than in the past. For example, have you ever tried going to State College on Memorial Day weekend? Big high school girls volleyball tourney that weekend. Rooms are usually impossible to get. They charge what they do on football weekends not because they have to, but because they can.

Reactions: Zenophile

I have a shed in my yard you can sleep in. Have not done capsule hotels but saw them around tokyo. Usually for the drunks who miss the last train ride home.

You won't be in the room during the day. You would be at a game, tailgating, bar hoping, restaurant or whatever. Second difference is nothing will be moving so there won't be any bounce or vibration from the train.

The pods are just a place to sleep.

Oh I get that. I was simply trying to prevent you from ever thinking about booking a sleeper room on an actual overnight train ride as you referenced.

Reactions: Zenophile
Oh I get that. I was simply trying to prevent you from ever thinking about booking a sleeper room on an actual overnight train ride as you referenced.
I would travel by train on a long trip (more than a day) if the journey was part of the experience. Certain routes are very scenic and worth the experience, I would think. You’re trading some comfort for the views and ability to eat, relax, read if a less interesting section of countryside, enjoy the scenery, etc.

Actually, the economics of hotels in State College has improved a lot over the years. There are many times during the year where you can’t get rooms at many places, or they are close to sold out. Many more conferences and events than in the past. For example, have you ever tried going to State College on Memorial Day weekend? Big high school girls volleyball tourney that weekend. Rooms are usually impossible to get. They charge what they do on football weekends not because they have to, but because they can.
And don't think the costs will go down because of added competition. More hotels means more sales of vasoline at Mclanahan's because it won't be complimentary when the hotels bend you over.

Agree, many times during the year I have colleagues travel into the area and they can’t get a room, rates have spikes or they notice an unusually high number of guests at the hotel they are staying. Many, many conferences are held here and lots of youth sporting events/camps consistently held over the summer. Also, in addition, to the 7 football weekends, you also have Blue/White, Arts Fest, graduation weekends and various music fests/concerts.

Maybe call the hotel The Farbman
tumblr_os9c4yWQky1tqkablo1_1280.png

Reactions: ralphster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT