ADVERTISEMENT

new flo SR big board.....recruiting going down?

the whole "we changed the rankings because we messed them up 2 months ago" reason rubs me wrong. it makes me think "well, if they messed up before, why shouldn't i assume they messed up again?"

Reactions: Antaeus
Who cares where our guys are ranked? The coaches obviously know the talent of these kids. We don't need all of our current recruits to be ranked #1 to sell Penn State wrestling to future recruits. I think 6 national championships in 7 years has done that.

See what happened there?

Oopsie

360_Rotation_animationAwaiose_web-small_medium.gif

Reactions: dunkej01
pish, I was strong with my comments, and in written words (not spoken) it's harder to show an accurate tone. Not personal, one bit. This was about the rankings, imo, and I for one, would like to read the various positions on why a particular wrestler should or should not be at a certain ranking. Heck, Willie, CP, nomad, and the other dude on the FRL show don't agree...it's what makes the back-and-forth fun (or f**, or *u*, or **n, or fu*, or f*n, or fu*).

you guys know me - i can take criticism.

when there is actual substantive back-and-forth, i'm all for it.

when the default is 'ulterior motive' - that's lazy.

i'm happy to discuss process here.

I will agree to disagree on your new rankings. PSU guys or not. I don’t think people should fall so much when they didn’t take losses. You can say guys were inactive because they didn’t wrestle freestyle in summer but I don’t agree. These are folk style rankings and I realize it is very transitive but I don’t like dropping kids for taking a break.

On a POSITIVE note. I am really looking forward to Who’s #1. I can tell you have been working tirelessly to get the best matchups. Much appreciated! Can’t wait

Kid's 2017-18 Recruiting Rankings:

1a. Joe Lee
1b. Travis Wittlake
1c. Roman Bravo-Young
1d. Gavin Teasdale
1e. Seth Nevills
1f. Michael Beard
1g. Brandon Meredith (newcomer to the rankings!!!)
2+ ...............

I weight rankings heavily based on commitment date. I think you will all agree this is the best set of rankings on the interwebs.

Not taking comments at this time thank you

Reactions: Antaeus

By the way, your "Wack Pack" or peanut gallery of FRL contributors are great. Cyon's epic profanity, Nomad's non-sequitors (and analytical Devil's Advocacy), and Bratke's input are good as sidebars to break up the show and keep it moving.

By the way, Nomad doesn't deserve half of the ball-busting he gets from you guys. Yes, he can jump topics in an instant and seemingly strays from CP's strict adherence to pre-show talking points, but his points are usually well-taken even if he gets there circuitously. Nomad - hang in there brother! Your nation of fans is growing out here.

And, as I said in an earlier post, the Putin skit was hilarious. We need more of that.

In your estimation is "heel" willie that much different from "face" willie?

If the PSU commits keep falling do we fire Willy? Me thinks he had some of those kids higher in order to pick up a higher paycut from the slushfund... Obviously he's cashed the checks ...

Reactions: Sullivan
Cael pays me to deliver Top 25 guys.

when he ups the ante and pays me a premium for top ten guys, i'll give them a bump :eek:

well they were up there when he paid you (last ranking) so now we want a refund. Or we can carry it forward to the next great recruiting class.

have your people talk to ours

(can believe Im typing this while watching HS football...oh well its 63-21 at HT, not much of a game)

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
well they were up there when he paid you (last ranking) so now we want a refund. Or we can carry it forward to the next great recruiting class.

have your people talk to ours

(can believe Im typing this while watching HS football...oh well its 63-21 at HT, not much of a game)
Willie surely can find someone else in 2019 to supplement Busiello, McHenry, and Brooks. Starocci work for everyone?

Alternately, he can steer some kids away from Tan Tom and into better opportunities elsewhere.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Starocci big right now. 175. that's why i couldn't put him vs Brayton as Lewan replacement.
Somebody's gotta come after Hall and Manville.

BTW, nice lineup addition, getting Justin McCoy in Lewan's spot.

I don't know why they did it, but Flo has spoiled the PSU recruiting class for 2018. It has gone from something historic to merely very good. PSU may not even end up with Flo's #1 rated class, as other schools will likely have recruited "better for need" or some crap like that. It's a darn shame, and only Flo knows why they ruined a good thing.

I wonder if the PSU staff will now reevaluate their verbals for 2018 and maybe go after some different guys? Pretty late in the game for that; Flo has totally screwed us. [sarcasm] :oops::eek:

One thing I learned recently on HR is that having a lot of top recruits at a night football game like VT did is a bad thing
Rutgers had their recruits in, too. Not that they were the level VT had in, but still, who looks at their schedule and says, "Hey, let's get the wrestling recruits in for the Ohio State game." Then, again, maybe the football coaches were in on it, and said, "Can any of them play football? Like, that night?"

Rutgers had their recruits in, too. Not that they were the level VT had in, but still, who looks at their schedule and says, "Hey, let's get the wrestling recruits in for the Ohio State game." Then, again, maybe the football coaches were in on it, and said, "Can any of them play football? Like, that night?"
Jersey Strong!!! Who wouldn't want to hang out with a dink like Richie Lewis all night?

Reactions: LHavenlion
Rutgers' recruits were in uniform on the other sideline.

Rutgers' recruits were in uniform on the other sideline.
Football staff may not yet be in on the secret to successful recruiting. Let the local kids go to elite program, get coached up and see if they might come back.

Dang, and I was a champion speller back in grade school. Hopefully the movie Blue Chips coming to real life in college bball (not really a surprise to me) won't hurt wrestling or any of the other Olympic sports.

Yeah, you were legendary. I remember a classmate of yours telling me the word you failed to spell in the the sixth grade finals: FARM. You spelled it: E-I-E-I-O.

I flipped to the channel the tOSU/Rutgers game was on Saturday night. It was halftime and the score was 35-0. The stadium was probably 3/4 empty. Great show for the recruits. "You guys want to be part of crumbling ineptitude? Come to Rutgers. You don't get to see empty stands like this just anywhere."

Verk is the precedent. World champ 2 yrs before winning PA states.
The guy who has won multiple state titles, multiple national titles, is neck and neck with P4P #2 and just won a world title is ranked #14 P4P. Sorry, there is no equivalent example.

The guy who has won multiple state titles, multiple national titles, is neck and neck with P4P #2 and just won a world title is ranked #14 P4P. Sorry, there is no equivalent example.
Not to disparage Brooks, maybe he would've won PA states by now ... you don't think Verk would've won multiple titles in Maryland?

Also, Wittlake won the 2 matches by a combined 14-2, not exactly neck and neck.

2x world champ McHenry not in PFP at all.

Brooks didn't place at S32 last year, losing 7-0 to Nathan Atienza, who was never close to being ranked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT