ADVERTISEMENT

new flo SR big board.....recruiting going down?

I can see Gavin going down - I think he was too high to start with. But scratching my head over RBY. Really don't understand that one at all.

Yes. Our boys must have taken some big losses recently to drop us down! Oh wait.. they didn’t. But someone at Flo had nothing better to do with their time today

Edit..I forgot. RBY losing to Tony Ramos who is someone we never heard of with no creditials knocked him down from 2 to what is he now? 13

Summary, please, for us non Flo Pro subscribers?

We have 5 of the top 26 ranked wrestlers in the class of 2018 and most fit right in after a redshirt although one of Teasdale and RBY may man 133 as a true frosh. In any case we have an OUTSTANDING 2018 class coming in.

Now
Wittlake #2
beard #4
Teaz #9
RBY#13
JLee #20
Snacks #26

Then 7/1/17
Teaz #3
Beard #4
Wittlake #5
RBY #7
Snacks #11
JLee #13

Reactions: backdrft76
Yes. Our boys must have taken some big losses recently to drop us down! Oh wait.. they didn’t. But someone at Flo had nothing better to do with their time today

Edit..I forgot. RBY losing to Tony Ramos who is someone we never heard of with no creditials knocked him down from 2 to what is he now? 13
RBY's deadlift may have gone down - hence the drop

We have 5 of the top 26 ranked wrestlers in the class of 2018 and most fit right in after a redshirt although one of Teasdale and RBY may man 133 as a true frosh. In any case we have an OUTSTANDING 2018 class coming in.
You misspelled "historic", sir.

All trolling aside, you guys may well have enough talent already in the pipeline to win championships all the way through 2022-23, even if Cael doesn't recruit a single other wrestler from now until then, provided college athletics as we know it still exists at that point (pay attention to the pumpkin-pushing scandal if you don't know what I'm talking about).

You misspelled "historic", sir.

All trolling aside, you guys may well have enough talent already in the pipeline to win championships all the way through 2022-23, even if Cael doesn't recruit a single other wrestler from now until then, provided college athletics as we know it still exists at that point (pay attention to the pumpkin-pushing scandal if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Dang, and I was a champion speller back in grade school. Hopefully the movie Blue Chips coming to real life in college bball (not really a surprise to me) won't hurt wrestling or any of the other Olympic sports.

Reactions: SetonHallPirate
Y'all better watch out, or the Flo guys are gonna come in here and accuse us of being conspiracy theorists. I've learned my lesson. Keeping my head down.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Y'all better watch out, or the Flo guys are gonna come in here and accuse us of being conspiracy theorists. I've learned my lesson. Keeping my head down.

No conspiracies from where I’m sitting. They put out the content. If they think RBY is 13th for losing to Ramos that’s there decision. I can care less. I think everyone here knows how good these kids are regardless of where someone ranks them

Now
Wittlake #2
beard #4
Teaz #9
RBY#13
JLee #20
Snacks #26

Then 7/1/17
Teaz #3
Beard #4
Wittlake #5
RBY #7
Snacks #11
JLee #13
I'm not buying this at all but... FLO is putting a top ten recruits chances of becoming an NC at 53 percent if they are attending PSU based on the Cael years. This gives us 3-4 national champions in one class.

I'm looking forward to his explanation when Gable Steveson wins fewer national championships than Mark Hall.
Uh, I wouldn't quite go so far. Steveson = can't miss. But if Mark gets over the hump this year, it will certainly be hard to surpass him given Zahid's growth and weight clear outs

Don't get me wrong -- Steveson is a tremendous prospect. Winning NCAA titles is very hard, and Hall already has a leg up.

Seth Nevills in absolute free fall because of all those losses he's taken. :rolleyes:

Seriously, Flo's rankings often seem like clickbait. They fluctuate wildly for little apparent reason. I usually temper their fickelness by checking out Intermat's rankings. Penn State's recruits are still 2->6 and 16 there.

Don't get me wrong -- Steveson is a tremendous prospect. Winning NCAA titles is very hard, and Hall already has a leg up.

If gable wrestles his true freshman year it will be a tough go and to win a NC will be extra difficult. if he RS, it looks like the top end talent will be gone and he has a bit of an easier road comparably speaking.

Reactions: Dogwelder
If gable wrestles his true freshman year it will be a tough go and to win a NC will be extra difficult. if he RS, it looks like the top end talent will be gone and he has a bit of an easier road comparably speaking.

Who beats him this year besides Snyder and Coon? They both graduate this year anyway. Who's standing in his was in 2019?

Who beats him this year besides Snyder and Coon? They both graduate this year anyway. Who's standing in his was in 2019?

I think Gable's upside is tremendous. He could be a 4 time champ. But ...

NCAAs is a really tough grind. As the tourney rolls on, any number of people could be him, especially if he is going as a true freshman. As Dunke noted, a redshirt year makes 4 timing much more likely.

Everyone including Nevills. This question/statement is said about someone coming out of high school most years and sometimes about multiple kids in a class and yet we still only have only 4 4x NCAA champs. Just last year who could possibly stop IMAR? Of yeah, CENZO.

Will be interesting listening to Willie and CP calling us all a bunch of whiners on FRL tomorrow.

Maybe Cyon will make an appearance and drop an f bomb with "BWI is a bunch of f****** d**** "...

Last edited:
If I could take a glass half full approach I'm happy to see Whittlake moving up on these rankings. Also, after a bit of uncertainty, I'm thrilled RBY is still planning on coming. And regardless of ranking this is going to be a really fun group to watch.

And having a debate about the greatest recruiting class in PSU wrestling history is always a lot of fun.

That's a sort of odd metric. To me, unless there is losing involved, you don't slide.
See, and I almost think the opposite. If you compete, you should be rewarded. If you have a great Fargo, do well at Worlds, etc., you should be rewarded by moving up. I know there's injuries, money, and other reasons that competing isn't always an option on a national level in the off-season, but those who do should be rewarded. That's just my stance on it.

See, and I almost think the opposite. If you compete, you should be rewarded. If you have a great Fargo, do well at Worlds, etc., you should be rewarded by moving up. I know there's injuries, money, and other reasons that competing isn't always an option on a national level in the off-season, but those who do should be rewarded. That's just my stance on it.

So you're saying it's what been done most recently that matters overwhelmingly and that the overall body of work is not that important. Even if it means you are rewarding freestyle results in a folkstyle universe.

Reactions: Hotshoe and pish69
So you're saying it's what been done most recently that matters overwhelmingly and that the overall body of work is not that important. Even if it means you are rewarding freestyle results in a folkstyle universe.
Take a guy who hasn't competed in months vs. a guy who's had more recent success with similar resumes? Yes. I take the guy who has competed and had success, recently. In addition, I would rank based on overall wrestler, regardless of style. How many guys are really winning big freestyle events based on freestyle moves? Wrestling is wrestling.

And I'm not at all at liberty to say that that is why Flo did it. I'm just rationalizing raising guys like Brooks and Lewan's stock, while others didn't add to their body of work.

Reactions: dsauer22
I'm glad our guys are focused on improving instead of tracking their rankings ...

Last edited:
NoVa sort of made my point and my comment is more or less that but I will add that initial years grind and the "old man strength" seniors/Juniors would have over him.

He certainly could win it all next year, cause Nick and Tanner look to be his only "named talent" right now, but new underclassmen will rise to the top this year.

I just think if he RS and then Nick and Tanner are gone who really is a "name" that would stand in his way. I think if he RSs he could make a run at mr 159-0.

Doesn't matter what others think... it is all about what they have done... and then what they will do once at PSU.

Take a guy who hasn't competed in months vs. a guy who's had more recent success with similar resumes? Yes. I take the guy who has competed and had success, recently. In addition, I would rank based on overall wrestler, regardless of style. How many guys are really winning big freestyle events based on freestyle moves? Wrestling is wrestling.

And I'm not at all at liberty to say that that is why Flo did it. I'm just rationalizing raising guys like Brooks and Lewan's stock, while others didn't add to their body of work.
I agree but they didn't really do that in these rankings. Wittlake actually moved up even though he has been injured an barely wrestled this summer. Had to pull out of Fargo, worlds, and couldn't compete at WNO because he has been hurt. He definitely shouldn't drop in the rankings but moving up when guys like Teasdale and RBY drop doesn't make sense. I personally think Wittlake at 2, RBY at 3, Teasdale at 4, Beard at 5, with Snacks around 10 and Joe Lee around 15 is where they should be. Most of them barely competed this summer and not one of them took a bad loss so I don't see how they got dropped.

NoVa sort of made my point and my comment is more or less that but I will add that initial years grind and the "old man strength" seniors/Juniors would have over him.

He certainly could win it all next year, cause Nick and Tanner look to be his only "named talent" right now, but new underclassmen will rise to the top this year.

I just think if he RS and then Nick and Tanner are gone who really is a "name" that would stand in his way. I think if he RSs he could make a run at mr 159-0.
What's insane to think about is that if Kerkvliet continues to progress at the rate he has been Gable might not even be the best heavyweight on his own team!! Gable is insanely good but Kerkvliet is as well and might have more room to grow in both talent and body. He might make 197 but he seems like he still has a lot of growing to do and he is only a jr in hs still. If he is indeed a heavy by the time he graduates I can't see him going to Minnesota. No way should he or Gable sit.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunkej01
I think Gable's upside is tremendous. He could be a 4 time champ. But ...

NCAAs is a really tough grind. As the tourney rolls on, any number of people could be him, especially if he is going as a true freshman. As Dunke noted, a redshirt year makes 4 timing much more likely.
Exactly, remember Coon's freshmen season, was doing awesome until March.

ADVERTISEMENT