ADVERTISEMENT

New ad from Gillette:

Everything you need to know about Gillette's true intention is in its response to the outrage over the ad...

Pankaj Bhalla, Gillette’s brand director for North America, told Boston.com in a statement responding to the mixed feedback that the company felt “compelled” to address “an important conversation.”

We are taking a realistic look at what’s happening today, and aiming to inspire change by acknowledging that the old saying ‘Boys Will Be Boys’ is not an excuse,” Bhalla said. “We want to hold ourselves to a higher standard, and hope all the men we serve will come along on that journey to find our ‘best’ together.”

Gillette says it will begin reviewing all “public-facing content” and ads to make sure they “fully reflect the ideals of Respect, Accountability and Role Modeling.” The company also plans to donate a total of $3 million over the next three years to United States nonprofits “designed to help men of all ages achieve their personal ‘best.'” Their first partner in the campaign is The Boys & Girls Clubs of America.

https://www.boston.com/news/business/2019/01/14/gillette-ad-men-me-too

I've always found that change comes of its own accord. It doesn't need to be coaxed by an advertisement, masquerading as a public service announcement. The last thing we need is more Hollywood (or Madison Avenue) executives telling us what to think, how to behave, or imposing another "teachable moment" on us. What this is about is increasing sales revenue by drawing attention to the brand. Nothing more, nothing less. When you hold 70% of the market, as Gillette does, $3M over three years is but a drop in the advertising bucket. But alas, Gillette got what it wanted. It's got your attention.

"I've always found that change comes of its own accord."
Got some examples? Car safety, No. Voting rights? No. Access for the disabled? No.

Lol.

Last edited:
What a blathering POS.
Proctor and Gamble’s mission is to maximize return for its shareholders ...... for Gillette, in the razor and grooming products market.

Their mission is not - in any way - to generate “public facing editorial content” on what they perceive to be the social issues of the day.

Pankaj should go choke him/herself.

Hmmmm....never work for a corporation Barry? Anything larger than a mom and pop dry cleaner?

Youll find telling me to stop will draw the F you. Every time. I work on this issue every day.

So you don’t know the meaning of the word stop? Sounds like you have one of the qualities of an abuser down pat.

Reactions: m.knox
So you don’t know the meaning of the word stop? Sounds like you have one of the qualities of an abuser down pat.
I know the meaning. This subject is too important for anyone to make me stop.

Perhaps you are offended by persistence. Too bad.

I know the meaning. This subject is too important for anyone to make me stop.

Perhaps you are offended by persistence. Too bad.

I’m just Making an observation. Chill out. You’re getting abusive about this subject.

Reactions: nittnee
I’m just Making an observation. Chill out. You’re getting abusive about this subject.
Thanks for the input. Most of your comments in this thread are similar to those I get from the abusers I talk to each week.

Not. Stopping.

are you shocked Bunny Funchuckles would get offended by an ad that tells men to chill the f**k out and stop raging?
No - I am shocked (or saddened) that Barry wouldn't be able to figure out that a marketing person of a large company would speak in marketing terms. This may be a reason why Funchuckles didn't get onto the BoT - lacks the basic knowledge and wherewithal to understand how business entities operate.

No - I am shocked (or saddened) that Barry wouldn't be able to figure out that a marketing person of a large company would speak in marketing terms. This may be a reason why Funchuckles didn't get onto the BoT - lacks the basic knowledge and wherewithal to understand how business entities operate.

nailed it. he's also an unhinged toxic male

I don't get why men should be offended by this. There are a whole lot of insecure people if they feel attacked by this ad.

Sad state of affairs when a video like this gets as much hate as I am seeing online. The video isn't saying that all men are doing this.

People saying they will boycott Gillette over this are ridiculous.

I don't shave very often and only do it when my scruff starts to itch. Nor do I know what brand of razors I buy. At the store I grab the cheapest 10+ pack of disposables. I get the blue ones because apparently they're for men while the pink ones are for women. They're probably the same damn thing but I guess a pink variety makes it more likely women will buy them without feeling like a man. I never notice the price of the pink ones but my guess is they're more expensive even though they're still just disposable razors.

As for the commercial, the marketers are trying to capitalize on a current hot button topic. It's what marketers do. Gotta be creative in getting your name out there and selling more product.

FWIW, I agree with Barry in a sense. Gillette is indeed making editorial content to start a conversation about the social issues of today......and hopes to generate profit from said editorial content. A company isn't going to do something like this without extensive market research and a deep understanding of how the ad will affect company sales/value.

Reactions: step.eng69
The commercial lacks sensitivity to those born as men or women but do not identify as these genders.

Reactions: AvgUser
I don't get why men should be offended by this. There are a whole lot of insecure people if they feel attacked by this ad.

Sad state of affairs when a video like this gets as much hate as I am seeing online. The video isn't saying that all men are doing this.

People saying they will boycott Gillette over this are ridiculous.

they kind of prove the ad is making a valid statement

Reactions: demlion
P&G isn't doing this as a feel good exercise. They're doing it to sell razors, and nobody understands this market better than P&G.

They know perfectly well they're going to lose some sales to white nationalists and other elderly losers who drool all day as they watch Fox News. But this is apparently not a very large part of the razor-buying public, and it's also a demographic that gets smaller every year.

Meanwhile P&G expects to sell more razors to men who want to be identified with doing the right thing and who understand the rules for dealing with women are changing.

There must be a lot more of those men than there are the other sort -- maybe not on this message board, but out in the real world.

The ad does not offend me. It just makes me tired. Tired of being lumped in with everyone who does these things because of my gender. It kind of reminds me of those messages at the Beav after 2011, when Sandy and Barron would espouse that child sexual abuse is wrong, to 100,000+ people who had nothing to do with the Sandusky issue.

It just makes me tired - not angry or offended.

P&G isn't doing this as a feel good exercise. They're doing it to sell razors, and nobody understands this market better than P&G.

They know perfectly well they're going to lose some sales to white nationalists and other elderly losers who drool all day as they watch Fox News. But this is apparently not a very large part of the razor-buying public, and it's also a demographic that gets smaller every year.

Meanwhile P&G expects to sell more razors to men who want to be identified with doing the right thing and who understand the rules for dealing with women are changing.

There must be a lot more of those men than there are the other sort -- maybe not on this message board, but out in the real world.

i was just going to write this. older generation that this offends (and i can agree with that as i am tired of companies telling me how to think) doesn't buy many razors anymore and is less prone to changing. P&G is going after the millenials who are making thier razor choice (which many times literally lasts a lifetime).

i was just going to write this. older generation that this offends (and i can agree with that as i am tired of companies telling me how to think) doesn't buy many razors anymore and is less prone to changing. P&G is going after the millenials who are making thier razor choice (which many times literally lasts a lifetime).
I thought all millenials did the hipster beard look. No razors need apply.

I've bought Dorco blades for years, good shave, and a lot less expensive. Their six blades cartridges are the bomb.

But I do like how this is upsetting some people who need to be upset- at very the least.

The ad does not offend me. It just makes me tired. Tired of being lumped in with everyone who does these things because of my gender. It kind of reminds me of those messages at the Beav after 2011, when Sandy and Barron would espouse that child sexual abuse is wrong, to 100,000+ people who had nothing to do with the Sandusky issue.

Agree with this. Not offended and never have participated in those activities. Certainly have seen kids bullied growing up and have told my kids I expect to never hear that they have participated in bullying or have let it go unreported if they see other doing it. Tougher times now since social media has really made it much easier fro kids to harass other kids online. As far as Gillette screw them and their environmentally insensitive and hard to recycle product - I use an electric razor - sensitive skin!

What in the world does this have to do with shave gel or razors? I don't understand why they'd want to go this route with their advertising. Their shareholders cannot be happy with this because it will almost surely impact their bottom line.

Now we have something that is actually "toxic" to discuss - your post and the bigotry shown in it.

I saw the ad as being about those things we can do as men to ameliorate the effects of bullying and harassment and DV. In what specific part of the ad are you told, "This is how you behave around women or vulnerable people. We want you to stop bullying and sexually harassing and mansplaining to women and other people?"

I do not understand how you get that from this ad. What I take from this ad is that if we want a country where less of this happens, we have to take a role as bystanders.

Laudable message? Sure...but, do we really want consumer products companies preaching to us? Also - the message seems to be that a majority of men (and the majority of Gillette's customers?) are creeps and need to be saved by ... a razor company?

Suggestion for Gillette - save the $ spent on the PR geniuses who came up with this campaign + ad costs to run it and reduce the prices on your horrifically over-priced razors?

Laudable message? Sure...but, do we really want consumer products companies preaching to us? Also - the message seems to be that a majority of men (and the majority of Gillette's customers?) are creeps and need to be saved by ... a razor company?

Suggestion for Gillette - save the $ spent on the PR geniuses who came up with this campaign + ad costs to run it and reduce the prices on your horrifically over-priced razors?

As opposed to ....who? The government? TV preachers? I did not see that as being about the majority of men. The majority of men are neither bullies nor harassers, but people who shy away from getting involved.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT