ADVERTISEMENT

Nevills vs Kasper - Match of the Weekend

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
This is Nevills chance to show he's taken a large step forward this season. He's bigger, stronger, and spoke about being eager to show the PSU fans how much he's improved. A solid win over Sasquatch was a nice start.

Now it's time for a statement match against Kasper. The two were pretty much a tossup last season. A 4-5 point win for Nick this weekend will announce, loud and clear, that he is a serious bet to be in the finals against Snyder in March.

WE ARE!!!

This is Nevills chance to show he's taken a large step forward this season. He's bigger, stronger, and spoke about being eager to show the PSU fans how much he's improved. A solid win over Sasquatch was a nice start.

Now it's time for a statement match against Kasper. The two were pretty much a tossup last season. A 4-5 point win for Nick this weekend will announce, loud and clear, that he is a serious bet to be in the finals against Snyder in March.

WE ARE!!!
I have watched both of his matches, he is nowhere near Snyder. Wish it were different.

If I were his coach and trainer I would have bought him a mountain bike and had him pedal 20 grueling miles a day all summer.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I have watched both of his matches, he is nowhere near Snyder. Wish it were different.

If I were his coach and trainer I would have bought him a mountain bike and had him pedal 20 grueling miles a day all summer.

My post never even implied that he was near Snyder. My point was he can make the finals, which means he may have a solid shot to beat Coon and all others.

This weekend is a big opportunity for him.

My post never even implied that he was near Snyder. My point was he can make the finals, which means he may have a solid shot to beat Coon and all others.

This weekend is a big opportunity for him.
I understood your point and appreciate it. I was adding on my own thoughts as to what could bring him level. I would love to know how deep Snyder digs on a daily basis to be the beast on the mat he is.

I was just trying to move the discussion a little. My apologies if it came off wrong. I am a Nevills fan and stay to watch his matches ( while other folks clog up the parking lots! ) and have seen improvement after last year so far. More aggressive for sure.

Matches like this weekend against Kasper will go a long way to pushing his capabilities. Should be a great match.

Heavyweight certainly has several solid wrestlers this year.

I understood your point and appreciate it. I was adding on my own thoughts as to what could bring him level. I would love to know how deep Snyder digs on a daily basis to be the beast on the mat he is.

I was just trying to move the discussion a little. My apologies if it came off wrong. I am a Nevills fan and stay to watch his matches ( while other folks clog up the parking lots! ) and have seen improvement after last year so far. More aggressive for sure.

Matches like this weekend against Kasper will go a long way to pushing his capabilities. Should be a great match.

Heavyweight certainly has several solid wrestlers this year.

Certainly no need to apologize. I think we all know that no one will get to Snyder's level. He's that special. Getting to Coon's level is a reasonable goal, though.

Next year becomes even more interesting with Snyder gone.
Is Steveson head and shoulders above the field as a true Frosh? Or does Nevills get his title?

Last edited:
Reactions: garw and tgar
I think Steveson will be tough to beat next year, for Nick and Gwiz both. Nick is great, he just came through during two generational talents' rise. Hope he proves me wrong this year and next though!

I think Steveson will be tough to beat next year, for Nick and Gwiz both. Nick is great, he just came through during two generational talents' rise. Hope he proves me wrong this year and next though!
I agree, I see Steveson being a star, 4 time champion potential. Only question is probably getting off bottom.

Nick should be a 3 time all-American and is good enough to be a finalist. That is an excellent career for anybody.

Reactions: tgar
Certainly no need to apologize. I think we all know that no one will get to Snyder's level. He's that special. Getting to Coon's level is a reasonable goal, though.

Is Steveson head and shoulders above the field as a true Frosh? Or does Nevills get his title?
I do think to make the finals Nick needs to be seeded at 2/3, as 4/5 draws Snyder in the semis.

I was impressed that Nick rode Hall the entire period at the All Star event. With the added 15lbs potentially making it harder to play catch and release, as he did at times last year, getting points out of his ride becomes a key. The Hall match looked more like get the riding time point though instead of the turn. I hope Nick continues to push the turns.

I do think to make the finals Nick needs to be seeded at 2/3, as 4/5 draws Snyder in the semis.
Beating Kasper will go a long way towards achieving that goal. The Hall win helped a lot too even though it was the all-star match.

Now if he can beat Coon, that should definitely sew 2/3 up assuming he wrestles like he can the remainder of the year.

Reactions: tgar
I don't really expect Nevills to beat either Coon (too large & talented) or Kasper (too athletic).

Hope I'm wrong.

always high expectations, Spyker's message of 'the room'.... we should expect Nevills to beat Kasper and go toe to toe with Coon...

Love what I'm seeing from Nevills so far but Coon is a guy with a lot of big scalps on his belt. I would project him as very solid favorite over Nick at this point. The Scuffle should be telling.

Beating Kasper will go a long way towards achieving that goal. The Hall win helped a lot too even though it was the all-star match.

Now if he can beat Coon, that should definitely sew 2/3 up assuming he wrestles like he can the remainder of the year.
Seeding Nick for nationals will be interesting.

If he loses only to Snyder and Coon without beating either, that's 4 losses (both duals, the Scuffle, and B10 semis).

Then the question becomes: can Sasquatch or Dhesi get a higher seed? Hopefully they cancel each other out -- better yet, Butler wins Pac 12s.

Reactions: diggerpup
Love what I'm seeing from Nevills so far but Coon is a guy with a lot of big scalps on his belt. I would project him as very solid favorite over Nick at this point. The Scuffle should be telling.
Assuming you mean a Nevills v Coon match at the Scuffle...it's not happening. Michigan is not sending their starters, as I understand it. Nick and Adam will wrestle, barring unforeseen circumstances, at the dual on January 12.

Reactions: lionlover
He should beat Kasper. Coon will be like Medberry, close match, can Nevills get the TD to win it?
Kasper is a quick Hwt. I wonder if Nevills' weight gain will slow him down at all. His increased weight will make a tougher resistance for Kasper on his shots, but Kasper is a very quick Hwt! Should be a great match!

Seeding Nick for nationals will be interesting.

If he loses only to Snyder and Coon without beating either, that's 4 losses (both duals, the Scuffle, and B10 semis).

Then the question becomes: can Sasquatch or Dhesi get a higher seed? Hopefully they cancel each other out -- better yet, Butler wins Pac 12s.
Snyder might be in Russia for the PSU dual.

I think Nevills clearly looks stronger, particularly in his core, but I have to admit that I'd now like to see him drop 15 pounds after adding some "good weight". He'll be fine against the bigger heavies, but I think he struggled a little bit against really good athletes like Kasper last year. It wouldn't surprise me to see him beaten by a quick guy or worn down by a superior athlete early in the season. That said, the season is long and grueling and he will lose some of the "bad weight" as the season progresses, at least I hope he will and I don't think he's ever had real conditioning issues.

Snyder might be in Russia for the PSU dual.

Yariguin is scheduled for Jan 25-28.

tOSU v PSU is Feb 3.

Snyder should be able to make it back one would assume.

Per Tan Tom, that sure is a "long bus ride" though. Never know.

I don't really expect Nevills to beat either Coon (too large & talented) or Kasper (too athletic).

Hope I'm wrong.

Didn't Nevills already beat Kasper once and yet you don't expect him to beat him again? Not to mention beating Hall a few weeks ago, who also beat Kasper at NCAAs last season. Have a little faith. :D

Plus Nevills seems to be much improved from the top position. If Hall couldn't get out from bottom Kasper will have a really hard time.

Didn't Nevills already beat Kasper once and yet you don't expect him to beat him again? Not to mention beating Hall a few weeks ago, who also beat Kasper at NCAAs last season. Have a little faith. :D

Kasper beat Nevills in the 4 vs 5 seed quarterfinals match in 2017 NCAAs.

It wasn't that close.

Then Nevills beat Kasper in wrestlebacks, I think in 5th place match -- but IIRC, there was injury time and Nevills was able to choose bottom in SV, escape for the deciding point.

So, yeah, I'm going w Kasper at the moment. Hope Nick proves me wrong, but I think Kasper's athleticism poses issues.

Kasper beat Nevills in the 4 vs 5 seed quarterfinals match in 2017 NCAAs.

It wasn't that close.

Then Nevills beat Kasper in wrestlebacks, I think in 5th place match -- but IIRC, there was injury time and Nevills was able to choose bottom in SV, escape for the deciding point.

So, yeah, I'm going w Kasper at the moment. Hope Nick proves me wrong, but I think Kasper's athleticism poses issues.
Must admit, I don't understand the "It wasn't that close" comment. Guess I saw it closer than you. For me, at worst case it's a toss-up, and best case it's a toss-up.

Anything is possible reason they wrestle the match.
Forget the year but remember Coon's freshman year was
undefeated going into Big Tens and a guy named Ginnrich (sp)
from Penn State took him out I think in the first round.

Reactions: diggerpup
I think Nevills makes it to the finals this year. Been hearing great things !!!! Keener is looking outstanding too i am hearing. Bet he is top 5 ! What a HUGE difference our room makes....

Anything is possible reason they wrestle the match.
Forget the year but remember Coon's freshman year was
undefeated going into Big Tens and a guy named Ginnrich (sp)
from Penn State took him out I think in the first round.

Jon Gingrich in the BIG quarterfinals. Currently an assistant coach at Brown. Coon also then lost at NCAAs in the R12 as the #4 seed.

Must admit, I don't understand the "It wasn't that close" comment. Guess I saw it closer than you. For me, at worst case it's a toss-up, and best case it's a toss-up.

Nor sure if this sheds any light, but here are Pat Donghia's contemporaneous accounts of the Nevills/Kasper matches last year:

Quarterfinal:
The Penn State sophomore took on No. 4 Jacob Kasper of Duke in Penn State's final quarterfinal bout. Nevills fought off an early Kasper shot and kept the match neutral. As the clock wound down below :30, Kasper worked his way in on a single that resulted in a scramble on the edge of the mat where each man nearly scoring. The clock hit 0:00 and action moved to the second scoreless. Kasper chose down to start the second period and escaped to a 1-0 lead after :43. Kasper mounted a late charge with a solid shot and notched a takedown at the buzzer to lead 3-0 after two periods. Nevills chose down to start the third and quickly escaped to a 3-1 score. Nevills was unable to break through Kasper's strong defense and the Blue Devil notched the 3-1 decision.

5th place
Nevills met No. 4 Jacob Kasper of Duke in the fifth place match in a rematch of a quarterfinal bout won by Kasper 3-1. Nevills and Kasper battled evenly for nearly the full first period before Kasper locked Nevills at the chest and took him to the mat for a late takedown to lead second 2-0 after three minutes of wrestling. Nevills chose down to start the second period and quickly escaped to a 2-1 deficit. Nevills worked his way into a low single and scramble, finishing off the takedown with :10 left in the period to lead 3-2 after two. Kasper chose down to start the third period and quickly escaped to a 3-3 tie. The duo battled evenly for the rest of period and the bout moved to a sudden victory period. As the extra period started, the two met head first in the middle of the mat and Kasper called for an injury timeout. After action resumed, Nevills chose down on the reset and steadily worked his way free for an escape and a 4-3 sudden victory win, taking fifth place as the No. 5 seed.

Last edited:
I'll take him over Kasper if they meet this weekend. By around 3 points.

As far as Coon, Nick is still an underdog, but we shall see...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT