ADVERTISEMENT

Neutral Danger -- Unintended Consequence?

slushhead

Mar 10, 2014
Watching the PSU-Rutgers dual yesterday reminded me of something I think I'm seeing a lot more of this season -- for lack of a more descriptive term, the "Nolf Leg Extension" in neutral scrambles. You know, the one that injured him vs. Rutgers 2 yrs ago.

RBY was in this position repeatedly yesterday . . . as was Big Snacks last weekend (and maybe yesterday, too). Putting one's upper weight forward to achieve/maintain a top position against a guy who has rolled over with your heel in grasp, and has your leg completely extended with the weight of his body applying near-hyperextension pressure.

I think I'm seeing this more and more throughout NCAA wrestling, and I suspect it has something to do with the Neutral Danger Zone (NDZ) rule causing defensive wrestlers to much more frequently belly-out, facing away from their opponents, with leg in-tow and beneath their weight, rather than risk back exposure during scrambles.

Luckily, I have not seen any other Nolf-like injuries, but I find myself cringing more and more as these positions seem to be on the rise. Could the potentially dangerous position be an unintended consequence of the NDZ rule, as guys are doing more to avoid any kind of back exposure? Or are offensive wrestlers just more and more unyielding in their pursuit of a takedown?

Or am I just seeing things that aren't there?

I don't like it. Too much potential for injury. I'd like to see it whistled as potentially dangerous first time and then a warning to the defensive wrestler thereafter just like a stalling call.

I don't like it. Too much potential for injury. I'd like to see it whistled as potentially dangerous first time and then a warning to the defensive wrestler thereafter just like a stalling call.

I'm with you on the PD call. Not sure about a stalling call -- could be tricky to enforce (more gray area than dropping to an ankle from top position).

I'm with you on the PD call. Not sure about a stalling call -- could be tricky to enforce (more gray area than dropping to an ankle from top position).

If a wrestler repeatedly puts his opponent into a dangerous position, it gets pretty obvious.

Reactions: danoftw
There were multiple times when I was thinking/feeling PD yesterday, then when the Rutgers kid does get hurt, it seemed like a non threatening position compared to so many we see.

Real shame for that young man.

Reactions: slushhead
Watching the PSU-Rutgers dual yesterday reminded me of something I think I'm seeing a lot more of this season -- for lack of a more descriptive term, the "Nolf Leg Extension" in neutral scrambles. You know, the one that injured him vs. Rutgers 2 yrs ago.

RBY was in this position repeatedly yesterday . . . as was Big Snacks last weekend (and maybe yesterday, too). Putting one's upper weight forward to achieve/maintain a top position against a guy who has rolled over with your heel in grasp, and has your leg completely extended with the weight of his body applying near-hyperextension pressure.

I think I'm seeing this more and more throughout NCAA wrestling, and I suspect it has something to do with the Neutral Danger Zone (NDZ) rule causing defensive wrestlers to much more frequently belly-out, facing away from their opponents, with leg in-tow and beneath their weight, rather than risk back exposure during scrambles.

Luckily, I have not seen any other Nolf-like injuries, but I find myself cringing more and more as these positions seem to be on the rise. Could the potentially dangerous position be an unintended consequence of the NDZ rule, as guys are doing more to avoid any kind of back exposure? Or are offensive wrestlers just more and more unyielding in their pursuit of a takedown?

Or am I just seeing things that aren't there?
I agree, this is becoming more common and I agree the neutral danger rule is likely a contributing factor. It does seem like a recipe for a serious knee injury but in most cases both wrestlers are extended and not exactly in a position to leverage the position in a way that causes injury. No one is cranking on it when they have it, I mean. But it wouldn't take much for something bad to happen because both wrestlers are extremely vulnerable fully extended like that.

I thought the same thing yesterday. I would imagine we are all a bit more injury wary this season. Wonder why.

Reactions: slushhead
Not sure if we're seeing this more or not because of neutral danger zone. Maybe yes, maybe no, imo. It could also be a factor of more guys fighting off takedowns using the far ankle technique, which appears to be more prevalent than ever, and can result in both guys having the other's leg. Or a combination of several factors.

Anyway, when does any move become "potentially dangerous"?

For example, is a hammerlock potentially dangerous? We all know the answer is no, unless the hand is forced away from the body. Chicken wings, knees folded (ala Zain), and other holds are LEGAL, until the hold "forces a limb to the limit of the normal range of motion" (see below for the rule).

I believe the referees have the knowledge to stop a potentially dangerous position today, including the one we're discussing. Do we really believe that it's dangerous the moment the leg is extended, or the moment an opponent grabs the ankle/foot? I don't. By rule, it's not until the knee is forced to the limit of it's normal range of motion.

The Nolf injury take brings back memories, for sure. But afterward, Cael stated publicly that Jason was at least partly the cause by turning his body, creating the torque that resulted in injury. When one has the flexibility of a Jason Nolf, sometimes those chances are taken. It's a blessing and a curse.

Potentially Dangerous. Any hold that forces a limb to the limit of the normal range of motion, and other holds or situations that may cause injury, are potentially dangerous and may be stopped by the referee. When "potentially
dangerous" is called, no penalty points shall be awarded. The match is resumed in the neutral, offensive or defensive starting position on the mat as determined by the position held at the time the match was stopped.

and

Potentially Dangerous. The referee shall caution the user of a potentially dangerous hold in order to prevent possible injury. Such holds may be stopped by the referee, if possible, before reaching the dangerous stage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT