ADVERTISEMENT

Need to ban Gameday from PSU campus

chrisrn1965

Nov 13, 2011
I have not watched these clowns for years but I understand that they were on their usually anti-PSU bandwagon this past weekend in Indy. With all of the disgraceful behavior this crew has demonstrated in the past 5 years I do not want them anywhere near our campus. Now that we are nationally relevant again I could see them wanting to come here next year when we play Michigan. I think that we should proactively contact Sandy and tell her to say no. Thoughts?

I have not watched these clowns for years but I understand that they were on their usually anti-PSU bandwagon this past weekend in Indy. With all of the disgraceful behavior this crew has demonstrated in the past 5 years I do not want them anywhere near our campus. Now that we are nationally relevant again I could see them wanting to come here next year when we play Michigan. I think that we should proactively contact Sandy and tell her to say no. Thoughts?

At the rate ESPN is going I'm not sure you need to worry. A few years from now Gameday will consist of a podcast from Herbstreit's garage followed by some tweets.

Would be crazy to do such a thing.. Gameday brings buzz and excitement... can you imagine what they could do with a PSU whiteout... nittanyville or whatever it's called now ?

Don't think you ever want to back away from an opportunity to be in the media spotlight where YOU can showcase your brand in a positive light..

My .02 anyway...

Would be crazy to do such a thing.. Gameday brings buzz and excitement... can you imagine what they could do with a PSU whiteout... nittanyville or whatever it's called now ?

Don't think you ever want to back away from an opportunity to be in the media spotlight where YOU can showcase your brand in a positive light..

My .02 anyway...

After their coverage from Indy, I'm not sure that's really an issue.

How can you 'showcase your brand' when they spend most of the programming talking down your brand and your fans, calling you 'holier than thou' (while referencing Catholics vs Convicts as proof- WTH???), and repeatedly referencing Sandusky. That doesn't help your brand at all. Just the opposite.

It would be better for them to be in Austin, Tallahassee, or anywhere else talking about other things. The brand is enhanced when people actually watch the white out game and Penn St plays well. ;)

Last edited:

My .02 anyway...

Yes. I can well imagine. Bring up Sandusky four times, make up lies about the fans, make up lies about the coach, pick 4-0 against us, mock anybody who has a positive word. There comes a time when you have to pick your poison. We get enough of it without inviting it into the house to sit on the leather couch and drink our whiskey while they loot the joint for ratings.

It's a clown show, with lemmings trying to get face time on TV. The best part are the signs.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
After their coverage from Indy, I'm not sure that's really an issue.

How can you 'showcase your brand' when they spend most of the programming talking down your brand and your fans, calling you 'holier than thou' (while referencing Catholics vs Convicts as proof- WTH???), and repeatedly referencing Sandusky. That doesn't help your brand at all. Just the opposite.

It would be better for them to be in Austin, Tallahassee, or anywhere else talking about other things. The brand is enhanced when people actually watch the white out game and Penn St plays well. ;)

I totally agree. They would bring no POSITIVE buzz to Penn State. They would spend the entire program talking down Penn State and referencing the Sandusky stuff. Heck, watched the B1G Championship on Fox Saturday Night and the Fox team did not say the word "Sandusky" once in almost 5 hours of coverage. Fox started the show at 7pm, and the post game drug out past midnight. Fox did not say "Sandusky" once. Yet deuche-bags like Herbstriet and Howard want to talk about it at length in reference to Penn State a few days after the B1G Title. .... Why would we open the doors to Penn State for these guys ???

My .02 anyway...
Absolutely not! Every time they have gotten the chance, they have dragged us through the mud. They were the main drum beaters against us and continue to do so. Any negative thing they come up with regarding PSU, factual or not, is spewed out on their air waves. They are vile opportunists. Never forget that. They are definitely not welcome.

We didn't need them before and we don't need them now. They would get egged if they showed up here. It would be like the scene from Frankenstein with the villagers and torches!

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

My .02 anyway...
Play big games.....win big games = plenty of "media spotlight"

The last thing I want to see anywhere - especially at PSU - is that band of "Chattering Monkeys in Suits"

Would PSU actually tell those clowns "Thanks, but no thanks"? I doubt it - but I wish they would

In theory, I think it's a good idea, but not in practice. It would just be taken the wrong way by the ignorant masses. The PSU leadership didn't stand up for the school 5 years ago when it NEEDED to, doing so now would just interpreted the worst way possible way.

On a side note. Has anyone else noticed that PSU has NEVER been featured in their stupid little "coming to your city" song that gets updated ever year? Sure they will show a 1 second video clip, but never a mention in the lyrics. Just goes to show how they have always felt about PSU.

The time to refuse them is when it hurts THEM, not us. Keep winning. Pretend they don't exist.

We'll see plenty of coverage for winning.

Not saying you are wrong to despise them. I despise them too.

If GameDay showed up and everyone came but brought no game related signs, and just stood and stared at them, that would be funny.

[QUOTE="chrisrn1965, post: 2500567, member: 8700"Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

You have way too much time on your hands.

You need to get some thicker skin. Not everyone in life is going to share your opinion and outlook. Some of these people have a big podium. Their opinion being different doesn't make automatically wrong and they have a right to voice even the most idiotic thoughts. I think calling individuals out when wrong is appropriate, but discouraging ESPN to be on campus is not in Penn State's best interest.

In theory, I think it's a good idea, but not in practice. It would just be taken the wrong way by the ignorant masses. The PSU leadership didn't stand up for the school 5 years ago when it NEEDED to, doing so now would just interpreted the worst way possible way.

On a side note. Has anyone else noticed that PSU has NEVER been featured in their stupid little "coming to your city" song that gets updated ever year? Sure they will show a 1 second video clip, but never a mention in the lyrics. Just goes to show how they have always felt about PSU.
Who cares how it would look? The ignorant masses think poorly of us no matter what, so why bother helping ESPN when they did so much to destroy our program?

Reactions: m48tank
You need to get some thicker skin. Not everyone in life is going to share your opinion and outlook. Some of these people have a big podium. Their opinion being different doesn't make automatically wrong and they have a right to voice even the most idiotic thoughts. I think calling individuals out when wrong is appropriate, but discouraging ESPN to be on campus is not in Penn State's best interest.
So we can call them out but we should still bow down to them and kiss their feet for blessing us with a gameday experience on campus? Screw that. It's fine to have a different opinion but it's a whole different thing to do everything you can to destroy something. It's okay to be pro life, it's not okay to blow up clinics. ESPN goes out of their way to blow up Penn State, so by all means let's roll out the red carpet for them. Hey, maybe we can have a special dinner honoring Louis Freeh because after all, he just has a different opinion.

The time to refuse them is when it hurts THEM, not us. Keep winning. Pretend they don't exist.

We'll see plenty of coverage for winning.

Not saying you are wrong to despise them. I despise them too.

If GameDay showed up and everyone came but brought no game related signs, and just stood and stared at them, that would be funny.

If Gameday comes to your campus and no one shows up, are they really there?

I think an empty backdrop would send the four letter network a message.

If Gameday comes to your campus and no one shows up, are they really there?

I think an empty backdrop would send the four letter network a message.
The problem is that would never happen. Too many people would want to be on TV or make a sign.

I say we welcome them with open arms, and 5 minutes before the show starts shut off the power to the set. Let them sit there like the jackasses they are for a couple hours while our fans boo them like Delaney until kickoff.

Man you guys are dopes. Herbie branded PSU best student section in the country. Just because he isnt always positive for PSU doesn't make him bad at his job.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Man you guys are dopes. Herbie branded PSU best student section in the country. Just because he isnt always positive for PSU doesn't make him bad at his job.

Did you see the student section when the OSU kick was blocked? Was it half empty? If you were at the game you would know the students were still there. Why the comment from Herbie? His statement about the student section being best in the country was several years ago. Does that mean he can denigrate PSU the rest of his career and we are not to comment. Who is the dope?

Did you see the student section when the OSU kick was blocked? Was it half empty? If you were at the game you would know the students were still there. Why the comment from Herbie? His statement about the student section being best in the country was several years ago. Does that mean he can denigrate PSU the rest of his career and we are not to comment. Who is the dope?

I think he said it again re. The student section

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Makes little difference to me what student section he thinks is best. What matters in a football game is which football team wins. We won. And we won whether every student was there to see it or not.

That said, sure seemed like that student section was pretty full when Allen/Haley took them down.

Reactions: bytir and m48tank
I think he said it again re. The student section

Maybe he did and I missed it. I rarely watch ESPN and am going from comments on BWI. What I don't understand are the comments about the students during the Ohio State game this year. Kirk is wrong and Desmond needs to STFU and quit making a fool out of himself. I was at the OSU game and sit in EA, one section away from the students. They were there and they were loud.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Yep, on Saturday he said the student section was half full at the OSU game. Saying the fans even had given up on this team and Franklin. I believe his intent was to show how PSU had rebounded this year. But in his hyperbole, ended up slamming PSU and students.

Let 'em come. And then when any of them opens their mouth boo them like Delany was booed in Indy.

Reactions: m48tank
If Gameday wants to come, PSU (through the A.D. probably) should demand time for a spokesperson, a few minutes to debunk some of the common misconceptions about the scandal, including those that have come from ESPN itself. If they won't agree to that, no appearance.

Who cares how it would look? The ignorant masses think poorly of us no matter what, so why bother helping ESPN when they did so much to destroy our program?

Yeah, before Indy I wasn't a fan of gameday but was ambivalent about them on campus.

After their nonsense this week, I'd hope PSU just says no if they asked to do a show on campus. Penn State doesn't need to make a big stink about it- just tell them no privately behind the scenes.

Then invite Fox sports to broadcast from the game. ;)

Reactions: bytir and AWS1022
I think that's stupid.

Reactions: Osprey Lion
I think Dem is onto something. I don't think that you can ban them without sending the wrong message to the rest of the country. But if we could get people to stand and stare at the travelling circus, people might recognize this bozo collective for what they really are... insignificant worthless clowns with nothing important or noteworthy to say. Unfortunately, that's probably not realistic, because people just can't seem to control themselves in front of a camera. Everyone wants their 30 seconds of fame. But if our folks could just be convinced how much more attention they would garner by staring blankly at these fools, maybe it could happen. That would be EPIC!!!

But if that's not doable, then I vote for NJ's plan... 2 hours of technical difficulties. Let 'em sit there and stew in their own juices while being booed for all the lies and baseless accusations they've rained down on PSU over the years!

I realize that both scenarios are really fantasies, but it's fun thinking about it!

How does blaming PSU fans for Catholics v Convicts help PSU?

There opinions are the show

I think Dem is onto something. I don't think that you can ban them without sending the wrong message to the rest of the country. But if we could get people to stand and stare at the travelling circus, people might recognize this bozo collective for what they really are... insignificant worthless clowns with nothing important or noteworthy to say. Unfortunately, that's probably not realistic, because people just can't seem to control themselves in front of a camera. Everyone wants their 30 seconds of fame. But if our folks could just be convinced how much more attention they would garner by staring blankly at these fools, maybe it could happen. That would be EPIC!!!

But if that's not doable, then I vote for NJ's plan... 2 hours of technical difficulties. Let 'em sit there and stew in their own juices while being booed for all the lies and baseless accusations they've rained down on PSU over the years!

I realize that both scenarios are really fantasies, but it's fun thinking about it!

Put them in the ag arena when it's floor is covered in straw and manure

The show is done by idiots for idiots. Tell them to take a hike.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT