ADVERTISEMENT

Nationals 2023 — Who/What Do You Salute?

slushhead

Mar 10, 2014
Another great tournament is in the books . . . and boy, was this a crazy one. Congrats to the PSU program, and condolences to those who came up short of their goals.

There were a lot of positives in this tournament, and I thought it might be nice to acknowledge them here.

I’d like to start with a couple of individuals who stood out to me . . .

#14 Will Feldkamp (Clarion) — This guy drew Brooks in the 2nd round, and he was game! Despite ultimately being pinned, he kept his head up, wrestling back to a 7th-place finish, which included wins over #13 Pinto, #22 Hawks, #9 Salazar, and #11 Kane. Great to see the genuine joy he had, not to mention his caution-to-the-wind approach. Always nice to see the smaller schools grab a slice of the pie, too.

#13 Jesse Mendez (Ohio State) — Following a rough B1G tournament, the freshman lost to #4 McGee in the 2nd round of Nattys but fought back to a 6th-place finish and AA status. And it was not an easy path, as he persevered to beat #19 Zaccone, #11 Ragusin, #10 Byrd, and #6 Latona . . . only to again face McGee and then the very tough Nagao. Even though he lost those, Mendez showed a lot of guts to endure that far as a #13.

Those are just 2 examples to celebrate from the 2023 National Championships. Others welcome.

I have to tip my cap to Mike Grey. Cornell was obviously left in good hands when Koll left for Stanford. I don't see a drop-off next year either with Yianni's departure as Shapiro steps in.

Also, Padddy had a nice tournament, losing 4-3 in R16 after a tough regular season and Big Ten tournament.

I mean, Vito comes to mind. That version can win hardware at the world stage for sure.

Also happy for Nino.

Nagao and Henson had a hell of a freshman campaign.

I feel like there was a boilermaker who did something remarkable, but I can’t quite place it…

Guess this thread isn’t for our guys, but Shayne took some big time heads as a 12 seed.

330 wrestlers entered
310 wrestlers lost before Saturday night
309 returned too fight for a podium spot and to help their team

I salute those 309
Pop Tv Burn GIF by Schitt's Creek

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT