ADVERTISEMENT

My $5.52 daily Starbucks now goes into my Robinhood account everyday...

I have mixed feelings. Life is too short and if I want to buy an afternoon coffee, why the hell not? Why do I work if I can't spend my own money?

That being said, it's actually fun playing with some of these stocks. It's commission free so I can't lose.

I'll be a millionaire by years end - MARK IT DOWN!
is that one where you borrow money to buy stocks?

I have mixed feelings. Life is too short and if I want to buy an afternoon coffee, why the hell not? Why do I work if I can't spend my own money?

That being said, it's actually fun playing with some of these stocks. It's commission free so I can't lose.

Starbucks makes me poop. Best investment I can think of.

Not sure if you're serious or not, but it's a free place to buy stocks. I think it's great for highschool kids to learn
I thought if you bought something for $5.52 they record $6.00 to your credit card account. $5.52 goes to the merchant, and $0.48 goes into your stock account. As that money builds up, you can buy a stock, correct?

I thought if you bought something for $5.52 they record $6.00 to your credit card account. $5.52 goes to the merchant, and $0.48 goes into your stock account. As that money builds up, you can buy a stock, correct?
Acorns, I believe, is the one you're referencing.

Reactions: RussianEagle

That app is called Acorns. It's fees don't make sense for small amounts ($1.00 a month under $5,000). I used it for a bit and pulled it.

Robinhood is a no-commission trading app. They make money off taking rebates from directing orders through the app to partners. If you don't set a limit order price, you could (and will) get a price .01 or .02 worse than current. If trading on volume, that isn't ideal. Obviously, they make money off interest in settlement accounts as well.

They're after people who see "zero commission" and aren't worried about buying shares 1 or 2 cents overpriced. They also get the kids because any referrals net you a free stock (I got Ford and Zynga, hooray)

The leverage defect was hilarious too. That might be what the previous user was talking about the borrowed money trading.

Stocktwits is also entertaining, imo. Robinhood was a gateway to it for me.

I use Merrill Edge. They have all of my money so they make it cheap to use their trading service. Plus I get access to their analytics.

Correct, it's your money and you can spend it any way you want. Just don't whine to the baby boomers when you don't have much saved.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Robin Hood or Pied Piper?

I love robinhood, its super easy and a great tool to get introduced to basic trading. Apparently very popular with the younger generation.

LOL at Pied Piper

If you don't have kids I suggest blowing it all before you go.

Reactions: Whaaaaaaaany
I thought that was acorn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT