ADVERTISEMENT

Must get recruits

bdgan

May 29, 2008
CB Wade
DT Hansard
LB Proctor

Swift & Webb are the top prospects in PA. Hope we get them but they are not the top positions of need. If we don't get them Wade is our remaining shot at a top 5 prospect in PA.

Could have really used LB Singleton from NJ but he favors UM. Hansard is our shot a a top 5 prospect from NJ and we definitely need DTs.

PSU really needs LBs and Proctor is our best chance for a top 5 recruit from MD.

We have 8 verbals and these 3 would get us to 11. Total for this class will probably wind up at 18 or so.

Reactions: Pride
CB Wade
DT Hansard
LB Proctor

Swift & Webb are the top prospects in PA. Hope we get them but they are not the top positions of need. If we don't get them Wade is our remaining shot at a top 5 prospect in PA.

Could have really used LB Singleton from NJ but he favors UM. Hansard is our shot a a top 5 prospect from NJ and we definitely need DTs.

PSU really needs LBs and Proctor is our best chance for a top 5 recruit from MD.

We have 8 verbals and these 3 would get us to 11. Total for this class will probably wind up at 18 or so.
Just a hunch that we may have a better chance of landing Anthony than Proctor.

Reactions: bmw199
I believe rumors on this board were that Handsard may not qualify. It will be interesting to see what happens but we need 2 DT's in the class that can actually get enrolled.....

In that regard, lets hope that Chavis is studying right now.

I really don't believe in "must get" recruits. CJF will be doing his best to get an OT, 2 LB's, 2 DT's, and the best other talented players he can to complete the 2017 class. Wade is definitely a top talent and it would be great to break into the talent stream at Clairton. He could play both ways if needed and is a dynamic punt returner as well.

I believe rumors on this board were that Handsard may not qualify. It will be interesting to see what happens but we need 2 DT's in the class that can actually get enrolled.....

In that regard, lets hope that Chavis is studying right now.

I really don't believe in "must get" recruits. CJF will be doing his best to get an OT, 2 LB's, 2 DT's, and the best other talented players he can to complete the 2017 class. Wade is definitely a top talent and it would be great to break into the talent stream at Clairton. He could play both ways if needed and is a dynamic punt returner as well.

i thought that Chavis was already enrolled this summer, per Phil several weeks ago. anyhow, would good to understand his real situation.

Reactions: skba
CB Wade
DT Hansard
LB Proctor

agree that we need DTs and LBs much more than more CB, RB, WR and QB. even OL has gotten better although the new talent hasn't been seen much. if you look at this staff's first 3 classes = 2014, 2015 and 2016, we did not land a top tier DT or LB - which is shocking given the PSU history at putting those positions in the NFL. given that 2017 seems to be having the same struggle, you have to wonder if this is more than just bad luck.

clearly the staff needs to win 8-9 games in regular season and get to a more visible bowl game, in order to have legitimacy in recruiting. everyone has forgotten how weak the talent pool on this team has been due to sanctions. if you look at Harbaugh, he had the benefit of a free agent experienced QB, which if he had not gotten would have likely left him with 2-3 more losses than he had. Franklin now has QBs playing who fit what he wants - unfortunately for him, he may only have one year to prove it.

I really don't believe in "must get" recruits.

I agree... I think it's a "next man up" situation. We won't know who is going to end up being an AA and who is going to fail to live up to expectations. I want kids who will bleed blue and white prior to enrollment and help sell the program, from these kids, you obviously have to fill positions of need. These kids, like Clifford is doing now, will help us recruit other Penn State type players. Maybe there will be some 5 star kids who bleed blue and white (Parsons maybe?) who can be a pied piper for more blue chips, but I'd rather have good players who love playing for Penn State than a bunch of prima donas that are all about themselves.

agree that we need DTs and LBs much more than more CB, RB, WR and QB. even OL has gotten better although the new talent hasn't been seen much. if you look at this staff's first 3 classes = 2014, 2015 and 2016, we did not land a top tier DT or LB - which is shocking given the PSU history at putting those positions in the NFL. given that 2017 seems to be having the same struggle, you have to wonder if this is more than just bad luck.

It's not bad luck. We've missed out on some top talent at those positions for 3 straight years, several from our prime recruiting area. Last year we lost out on kids like Hudson and Dwumfour, This year we've already missed out on Roberts and Adams. I wonder how much losing Shoop has to do with it. Can Pry boast about how many kids he's put into the NFL? Our staff has done some good things but DT & LB have definitely been a problem.

Franklin now has QBs playing who fit what he wants - unfortunately for him, he may only have one year to prove it.

why do some of you think Franklin is even the least bit on the hot seat? He's doing a fine job and running a clean program and cares a lot about academics. Hell, Harbaugh inherited a senior team last year , lost three games, squeaked by a couple others and people act like he's the second coming. Get real

It's not bad luck. We've missed out on some top talent at those positions for 3 straight years, several from our prime recruiting area. Last year we lost out on kids like Hudson and Dwumfour.

Man, you really don't have a clue. Dwumfour was not considered by anyone to be a "top talent".

Reactions: Ski
why do some of you think Franklin is even the least bit on the hot seat? He's doing a fine job and running a clean program and cares a lot about academics. Hell, Harbaugh inherited a senior team last year , lost three games, squeaked by a couple others and people act like he's the second coming. Get real

Define hot seat. I think Franklin has rightfully been given a pass until now but his honeymoon period is nearly over. He's probably safe this year and next. I think he could have a problem if he can't win 9 games next year.

Man, you really don't have a clue. Dwumfour was not considered by anyone to be a "top talent".

He was good enough to get a PSU offer only to flip to Michigan. I could provide more names from the northeast region that PSU couldn't get but I'll never convince you. Go ahead and believe that PSU has done a good job recruiting these positions and that the kids we lost were just bad luck.

He was good enough to get a PSU offer only to flip to Michigan. I could provide more names from the northeast region that PSU couldn't get but I'll never convince you. Go ahead and believe that PSU has done a good job recruiting these positions and that the kids we lost were just bad luck.

Lol

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I think Franklin will win. He is a great leader and leaves no stone unturned. He's been bringing in great kids and I believe a great OC. We may still be 3 years away from a Big title given the new QB this year and still evolving OL, but it will happen. QBs, running backs, receivers, kickers, are in place. And I have confidence the defense can be solid. One step at a time.

Last edited:
The coaches learned a lesson from prospects who commit and then switch. Moreover, the size and need are factors this year. Bring in prospects who stay eligible.

Areas of immediate need are LBs and DTs. DTs. If we know it, the coaches are working on it.

Coach JF is here to stay for a very long time like JVP.

Negative comments, True or False, hurts recruiting.

Negative comments, True or False, hurts recruiting

I just shake my head at the negative comments from some "alleged" PSU fans here. If Franklin signed three four star LB's and three DT's tomorrow they'd just find something else to bitch about. Why do they bother to spend time here if they dislike our coach soo much? Go find another team, this team sure as hell won't miss you

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
I really don't believe in "must get" recruits.

I agree... I think it's a "next man up" situation. We won't know who is going to end up being an AA and who is going to fail to live up to expectations. I want kids who will bleed blue and white prior to enrollment and help sell the program, from these kids, you obviously have to fill positions of need. These kids, like Clifford is doing now, will help us recruit other Penn State type players. Maybe there will be some 5 star kids who bleed blue and white (Parsons maybe?) who can be a pied piper for more blue chips, but I'd rather have good players who love playing for Penn State than a bunch of prima donas that are all about themselves

i thought that Chavis was already enrolled this summer, per Phil several weeks ago. anyhow, would good to understand his real situation.
Graduated from CC, but fell short of the credits needed to transfer into PSU. Taking additional credits in the summer session at CC that he will need to pass to get in. He's supposedly focused on finishing those classes and hopefully be accepted and will arrive in time for the start of preseason practice. If he does get in, his ability to contribute may be hampered or delayed by missing being here in the summer.

It's not bad luck. We've missed out on some top talent at those positions for 3 straight years, several from our prime recruiting area. Last year we lost out on kids like Hudson and Dwumfour, This year we've already missed out on Roberts and Adams. I wonder how much losing Shoop has to do with it. Can Pry boast about how many kids he's put into the NFL? Our staff has done some good things but DT & LB have definitely been a problem.

I was scanning this thread and read this ..... YOU think Dwumfour was a "talent". Recall he was a 2 star moved to a 3 late in the game. His value was as Gary's "girlfriend" !!! Plus PSU made little effort to get Hudson until very late. He felt "insulted". I think PSU made a mistake by not recruiting him early.
That being said I do not see either of these guys ever being game changers. They are easy to replace. I do agree on Roberts and Adams. Let's see how the year progresses.

Reactions: Mudge1026
It might be time to go to plan B: Start going after the "Penn State Kids". The kids with good academics, and who are either legacies, or come from schools that traditionally send their kids to Penn State. Sorry, but we got squat this week, and this was the week that we were supposed to bring in 2 or 3 kids, according to certain other sites and certain other people(Mr sunshine himself over at the sunshine site).

To not give a coach at least 4-5 years to implement his own recruits and gameplay is just dumb. After that, then pull the trigger if necessary.

Reactions: joestheman
I view this season as year one for Franklin and company. And that's probably still a bit unfair- but I'm running out of time, so I'm a bit impatient.

And there is no such thing as a "must get" recruit.

Reactions: joestheman
To not give a coach at least 4-5 years to implement his own recruits and gameplay is just dumb. After that, then pull the trigger if necessary.

It's not jumping the gun, it is simply getting back to the Penn State style kids that we succeed with in recruiting. Whatever is happening right now, is not working, although there is still time, and things are slow for other schools also. What you cannot afford, is another Bill O'Brien style #40 recruiting class, and if this continues, it might end up that way. Yes, we need to win on the field, but we need to start bringing kids in. OUR kids.

There has to be a few legacies to fall back on....has to be.

It's not jumping the gun, it is simply getting back to the Penn State style kids that we succeed with in recruiting. Whatever is happening right now, is not working, although there is still time, and things are slow for other schools also. What you cannot afford, is another Bill O'Brien style #40 recruiting class, and if this continues, it might end up that way. Yes, we need to win on the field, but we need to start bringing kids in. OUR kids.

There has to be a few legacies to fall back on....has to be.[/QUOTE

Wrong again - it is working. New recruits don't win in year one. They win in years 3 and 4.

Last edited:
I think CJF will do better but who knows. It's a tough division to win and I'm not even sure Joe would be faring much better with the competition CJF is facing

I was scanning this thread and read this ..... YOU think Dwumfour was a "talent". Recall he was a 2 star moved to a 3 late in the game. His value was as Gary's "girlfriend" !!! Plus PSU made little effort to get Hudson until very late. He felt "insulted". I think PSU made a mistake by not recruiting him early.
That being said I do not see either of these guys ever being game changers. They are easy to replace. I do agree on Roberts and Adams. Let's see how the year progresses.

Dwunfour was only a significant loss because PSU fell short on other DL. That's why we ended up taking two JUCOs.

PSU did great in PA & NJ in 2015. Things fell apart last year when we missed out on kids like Dioubate, Hudson, Angeline, Upshir, Gary, Fuller, and Dwumfour. I've got to believe that the biggest difference was Harbaugh and PSU's late season struggles. It wouldn't be that big of a deal except for the fact that PSU has struggled in PA & NJ so far again this year. That's why I think Wade, Hansard, and Proctor (MD) are important to get things turned around.

Last edited:
Define hot seat. I think Franklin has rightfully been given a pass until now but his honeymoon period is nearly over. He's probably safe this year and next. I think he could have a problem if he can't win 9 games next year.

Alot of people around the program think '17 will be a big year, so 9 wins would be a huge disappointment going off that theory. Either way, another dud season is going to result in a pretty bad class, which needs to be avoided.

How so Carnac? Do you really think that PSU has done well with DT recruiting and decided to take JUCOs anyways?

PSU did not take the two JUCOs because of Dwumfour's decommitment. THINK before posting, OK??

Chavis is good to go, and he's better than anyone might think at the moment. I'm concerned with our LB recruiting at the moment.

Franklin is not on the hot seat. However, if he were to only win Kent State and drop the next 3...I could see his seat being red-hot. I don't think it is likely. However, none of those games a certain victories.

Franklin is not on the hot seat. However, if he were to only win Kent State and drop the next 3...I could see his seat being red-hot. I don't think it is likely. However, none of those games a certain victories.

CORRECT.

This is year one. The first two years we were playing short handed, with poor offensive coaching.

The coaches learned a lesson from prospects who commit and then switch. Moreover, the size and need are factors this year. Bring in prospects who stay eligible.

Areas of immediate need are LBs and DTs. DTs. If we know it, the coaches are working on it.

I sincerely hope recruits don't visit this board because the main thing on it by far is the Sandusky business.

JF is here a long time IF he wins B1Geast and B1G titles consistently. Be real that is the criteria for success!

This isn't year one. Like it or not, JF is making north of $4 million. Because of that, he is clearly on the hot seat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT