ADVERTISEMENT

Is 8-4 in '22 the magic formula

The BoT wants mediocrity. It's their goal. Started with crapping on Joe. They want Penn State to be the Harvard of college football.

Then be happy with 8-4 records for the next 10 years, putz.
Unfortunately, Ryoder, the contract created the “it doesn’t matter at all” scenario. The buyout for PSU in 3 years will not be $18m. At that point it will be roughly $56M. He’s not going anywhere unless someone else wants him. In that case in three years another school’s buyout less than $6M.

See how it works? If he really succeeds right away, it’s great for us on the field, but someone will want to pony up the $6M chump change in roughly year 3 and offer him more than then remaining $56 on his contract. He can then renegotiate with our new AD for even more and still probably leave.

On the other hand, if he doesn’t succeed….he remains for several more years because PSU’s buyout only declines $8M each year (starting at $80M) unless he can get another school to do the above.

I think if the new AD fires Franklin after a winning record (or really anything short of something catastrophic like 2-10) in 2022, they are a moron.
Lol. Fire him with any record after 22 and he goes home with $72 million.

Average would be 6-6. That's 20% above average,
You must be Franklin's agent. At least two of the 8 wins are against totally overmatched under manned teams, Ohio and Central Michigan. Throw in Rutgers and Illinois...oh wait that is what we thought this year. If we get by the juggernaut they call The Illini next year then is our fearless leader up for another big raise? Hey over .500 is better than average?

You must be Franklin's agent. At least two of the 8 wins are against totally overmatched under manned teams, Ohio and Central Michigan. Throw in Rutgers and Illinois...oh wait that is what we thought this year. If we get by the juggernaut they call The Illini next year then is our fearless leader up for another big raise? Hey over .500 is better than average?
I was just pointing out to you what mathematically average means and how 8-4 is not "average."

You can say that 8-4 is below your personal expectations for the program, but to say that it is average is incorrect.

Honestly, I think the program should be 9-3, plus or minus one win per year. And I think everyone should be happy with that, especially if that gets you to NY6 or NY day bowls and you get wins in those bowls (i.e. 11 win seasons are difficult to do and if you get one of those every few years, that's a huge accomplishment).

Joe used to tell recruits everyone of his players either had an undefeated season or played for a national championship.

I was just pointing out to you what mathematically average means and how 8-4 is not "average."

You can say that 8-4 is below your personal expectations for the program, but to say that it is average is incorrect.

Honestly, I think the program should be 9-3, plus or minus one win per year. And I think everyone should be happy with that, especially if that gets you to NY6 or NY day bowls and you get wins in those bowls (i.e. 11 win seasons are difficult to do and if you get one of those every few years, that's a huge accomplishment).
I'm glad you would not be satisfied with 8-4 every year. I think we should make a NY6 bowl 2 out of every 3 years and at least once every four be in the playoff (assumes a 4 team playoff system). If it expands to eight I would expect us in the playoff every third year or even every other year.

Franklin always finds a way to lose games, so why even worry about it someone should write a book for him on how to lose a football game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT