ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell Messenbrink's Maturity

dolecda

Jan 18, 2007
Now that the OTT’s are over, I would like to see if anyone sensed the same thing that I thought that I watched, and that was a sudden maturity of Mitchell Messenbrink. Even though he lost to Jordan Burroughs, he did score a couple points against JB, but there were some things that I saw from MM, beginning with his smile prior to the hand shake at the beginning of the match that I found interesting, and that was his confidence at the start of the match. The MM bounce. Beginning with the first period I saw how MM squared himself to JB on the mat, and I think it made JB uncomfortable. As the 1st period progressed, MM showed some inexperience and allowed a take down and a back exposure. On the restart MM went straight back to the middle of the mat. At this point, JB was not sure of this upstart kid, but I think he knew he was in a match that he was not ready for. Head slapping ensued on the next start, and the official stopped it, and MM wanted to make sure that he was on the up and up by attempting a high 5 to JB to let him know that is competition, nothing more. But if I recall JB did not respond. This is only 30 seconds into the first period. In my opinion, MM was more prepared for this match than JB. As the 1st period progressed, JB’s experience showed. But watching MM continue to square up against JB, I was impressed even more with MM and his preparation for a wrestler like JB. Down 7-0 after 2, MM continued to square up against JB and attempted leg attacks. Even with under 1 minute to go MM continued his attacks, and JB was not sure, at times, how to defend MM’s attacks. With time winding down, there was some head butting and head pushing initiated by MM to let JB know that MM is coming at the decorated wrestler, and whatever the outcome, JB now knows who MM is. The shove with :07 left in the match is important. Sometimes a torch is passed, but a lot people of don’t see it or understand it. I like to think that I just saw a torch passed from a decorated champion to a young Penn State wrester who I think is going to shine in the NCAA’s as well as the world stage. I like to think that, in this particular match, I watched Mithell Messenbrink progress to the next level of the great Penn State type of wresters like David Taylor, Jason Nolf and Zain Retherford. Penn State Nation get ready to cheer on the next of Penn State’s incredible person/wrestler. This is just my observation.

I especially liked MM's face mush on JB. Basically telling JB "come on, we're having fun. You are goiñg to have to earn my respect"

Now that the OTT’s are over, I would like to see if anyone sensed the same thing that I thought that I watched, and that was a sudden maturity of Mitchell Messenbrink. Even though he lost to Jordan Burroughs, he did score a couple points against JB, but there were some things that I saw from MM, beginning with his smile prior to the hand shake at the beginning of the match that I found interesting, and that was his confidence at the start of the match. The MM bounce. Beginning with the first period I saw how MM squared himself to JB on the mat, and I think it made JB uncomfortable. As the 1st period progressed, MM showed some inexperience and allowed a take down and a back exposure. On the restart MM went straight back to the middle of the mat. At this point, JB was not sure of this upstart kid, but I think he knew he was in a match that he was not ready for. Head slapping ensued on the next start, and the official stopped it, and MM wanted to make sure that he was on the up and up by attempting a high 5 to JB to let him know that is competition, nothing more. But if I recall JB did not respond. This is only 30 seconds into the first period. In my opinion, MM was more prepared for this match than JB. As the 1st period progressed, JB’s experience showed. But watching MM continue to square up against JB, I was impressed even more with MM and his preparation for a wrestler like JB. Down 7-0 after 2, MM continued to square up against JB and attempted leg attacks. Even with under 1 minute to go MM continued his attacks, and JB was not sure, at times, how to defend MM’s attacks. With time winding down, there was some head butting and head pushing initiated by MM to let JB know that MM is coming at the decorated wrestler, and whatever the outcome, JB now knows who MM is. The shove with :07 left in the match is important. Sometimes a torch is passed, but a lot people of don’t see it or understand it. I like to think that I just saw a torch passed from a decorated champion to a young Penn State wrester who I think is going to shine in the NCAA’s as well as the world stage. I like to think that, in this particular match, I watched Mithell Messenbrink progress to the next level of the great Penn State type of wresters like David Taylor, Jason Nolf and Zain Retherford. Penn State Nation get ready to cheer on the next of Penn State’s incredible person/wrestler. This is just my observation.
Yeah - an all-timer in the making. Year one was a thrill. MM’s attitude is pretty unique. As he enters year two, I am most interested to see how top level opponents adjust to MM’s unorthodox motion. All that motion and swinging arms, . . 2023-24 opponents had to guess where he was coming from. When looking at the Hamiti & Carr matches, I saw that aggressive front attacks did work against MM. Of course, MM believes there is no deficit that he can not overcome. I love his mindset about having the gas to come back. Just the same, Cael & Co will probably coach up some more defensive posture and that may make the 2024-25 version of MM a bit less exciting. (He will go undefeated in 24-25).

Here's why he's already my favorite wrestler:

This isn't a show, this guy really does just love to fight. Askren, who I for one will miss on FRL, says it all the time about him when he's brought up. He has the glasses and looks like a dork, but this dude just loves to fight. He has to be put in his place or he'll roll you. Ben said this week he's done what JB did with the head slam many times in practice because MM doesn't have a line and has to be told the hard way.

Apparently this was one of the areas that MM really improved on the last few years that took him from good D1 wrestler to elite, controlling that anger and aggression. He used to let it get to him and you could frustrate him, but the clapping and running back to the middle is the answer for him: if a guy scores on you, don't get mad and punch him, just say "Ok" and get him on the next whistle.

I say again, and I know folks will chime in with Taylor and several others, but this guy is more attack than anyone I can ever think of seeing. It's another level, Desanto-like forward movement with 10x more ways to score. He's so fun to watch.

MM can be a little reckless and sloppy, otherwise he is an unstoppable force. Just look at Nick Lee's development. I fully expect Mitch to be Nick and Zain like 2 years from now in terms of impenetrable defense, menacing from on top, and even better from neutral. No doubt he become (is) the most entertaining wrestler to watch in the nation, while at the same time, he will become the least favorite guy to wrestle.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Burrows felt that our young wrestlers should genuflect at his feet. He didn't like Mitch and Alex making him wrestle.
Very true, i think he needs more maturity in not making hasty mistakes like in the finals and leaving himself open to counters with Burroughs, but he's lights out good.

MM can be a little reckless and sloppy, otherwise he is an unstoppable force. Just look at Nick Lee's development. I fully expect Mitch to be Nick and Zain like 2 years from now in terms of impenetrable defense, menacing from on top, and even better from neutral. No doubt he become (is) the most entertaining wrestler to watch in the nation, while at the same time, he will become the least favorite guy to wrestle.
My thoughts too.

cLoSiNg ThE gAp
I'm beginning to learn more about the board:

-when chickenman posts on anything Iowa related he uses the sarcasm font with the alternating caps

-slippery pete uses some kind of bizarre magic and types 145 words per minute and it seems like he actually predicts the play by play because that shit is INSTANTANEOUS

-lemon pie goes DIRECTLY to the point and gives zero f#$ks what anyone thinks 😂

-there are inside jokes I don't think I get...white claw? 8 scoring wrestlers? Georgies Barber shop? Gia? (I think eljefe explained that one), closing the gap? Etc

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

-when chickenman posts on anything Iowa related he uses the sarcasm font with the alternating caps

-slippery pete uses some kind of bizarre magic and types 145 words per minute and it seems like he actually predicts the play by play because that shit is INSTANTANEOUS

-there are inside jokes I don't think I get...white claw? 8 scoring wrestlers? Georgies Barber shop? Gia? (I think eljefe explained that one), closing the gap? Etc
You will learn to love me aswell. There is no avoiding it

Every math equation in wrestling comes out to 83%. Don't question it. It's like questioning gravity. Fans disagree on everything else except that when Bobby Telford calls you, act like you don't know him. You probably don't. 83% of recruits don't know Bobby Telford. That's why Iowa placed 5th last year.

Last edited:
And if he really is going down to 157 with minimal weight cut, he should be able to bully the weight group. I really hope Caliendo gets to wrestle MM a few times this season.

This should help for many inside jokes:

The inside jokes thread could be updated. In the meantime, I think these are the other jokes @Delcolion915 asked about -- and folks, feel free to correct me, I'm not adding anything to the other thread without confirmation:

- White Claw: IIRC @mcpat said something silly about his beverage of choice and the joke's on him, it stuck.

- GIA = (I am NOT making this up) Go Iowa Awesome -- their Rivals board, fka Hawkeye Report.

- "Closing the gap" is a @Chickenman Testa calling card. IIRC it's what Hawk or Buck fans claim when our guy beats their guy 20-6, and then the next time **only** beats them 18-7.

Yeah - an all-timer in the making. Year one was a thrill. MM’s attitude is pretty unique. As he enters year two, I am most interested to see how top level opponents adjust to MM’s unorthodox motion. All that motion and swinging arms, . . 2023-24 opponents had to guess where he was coming from. When looking at the Hamiti & Carr matches, I saw that aggressive front attacks did work against MM. Of course, MM believes there is no deficit that he can not overcome. I love his mindset about having the gas to come back. Just the same, Cael & Co will probably coach up some more defensive posture and that may make the 2024-25 version of MM a bit less exciting. (He will go undefeated in 24-25).
I think you'll see more attention to defense, but the next year under Cael often increases bonus %... Given his already high scoring of match points, the most likely bonus increase may well come from increased # of pins.

Reactions: CentexLion

I like this analysis. However, paragraphs my friend, paragraphs.

Reactions: dolecda
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT