ADVERTISEMENT

mission creep or in this case, course creep !

"Glad I had four years of calculus and differential equations vs liberal bullshit"
nice quote

If you are taking calculus and differential equations for four years - there is something wrong with you. These courses are the basis for the next level of mathematics - which you should be able to achieve in a lot less than four years.

Reactions: RU31trap
many-snowflakes.jpg

If you are taking calculus and differential equations for four years - there is something wrong with you. These courses are the basis for the next level of mathematics - which you should be able to achieve in a lot less than four years.
I think he was using the words Calculus and differential equations in the 'royal' sense, in that he was learning math in math classes.

LMFAO, what do you think such a conference would achieve from the aggrieved student's standpoint?? Shades of Triponey 2.0.

http://safeguardoldstate.org/the-vicky-triponey-timeline-of-terror/

"While Jensen referenced the professor’s right to academic freedom, he noted that the university seeks to “encourage any student who believes that an instructor has acted beyond the limits of academic freedom to consult the policies and procedures in place for seeking a faculty conference and mediation.”

Glad to see Tyler Durden gave up the Fight Club gig - no money in that.

"Glad I had four years of calculus and differential equations vs liberal bullshit"
nice quote

um, if he had brains he would have had calculus and differential equations in high school, like the kids of liberals I know. He was probably too busy smoking pot and sewing white hoods and burning crosses. and now he's got a nice career making $22,000 a year writing propaganda for the Koch network.

Not that I'm arguing for liberal bullshit as the basis for college curriculum, but this dude is maybe a 75 watt bulb.

Last edited:
In case anyone cares, I've discussed politics in my classes three times in 35 years. The prof was out of line.
totally agree- just find it ironic that people who like to call those who disagree with them "snowflakes" seem to frequently have that trait themselves

Reactions: LionJim
um, if he had brains he would have had calculus and differential equations in high school, like the kids of liberals I know. He was probably too busy smoking pot and sewing white hoods and burning crosses. and now he's got a nice career making $22,000 a year writing propaganda for the Koch network.

Not that I'm arguing for liberal bullshit as the basis for college curriculum, but this dude is maybe a 75 watt bulb.
I wonder w

well lets see to get a BS in Mathematical sciences at PSU one would have to take math 449, I wonder what that covers??
3 CREDITS
Differential and difference equations and their application to biology, chemistry, and physics; techniques in dynamical systems theory. MATH 449 Mathematical Modeling (3) Many phenomena that arise in the natural sciences, such as the motion of pendulum or signal conduction in neurons or oscillations in certain chemical reactions, can be modeled using nonlinear differential equations. This course will develop the mathematical techniques needed to investigate such differential equations. These techniques include the study of equilibria, stability, phase plane analysis, bifurcation analysis and chaos. The course will assume prior knowledge of ordinary differential equations at the MATH 250/251 level; this is the only prerequisite for the course. We will focus on understanding and interpreting the behavior of the solutions to the differential equation models rather than on deriving the model equations themselves. Evaluation will be based on midterm exams, a final exam, graded homework, and graded longer projects which may involve computer work. The course should be of interest to any science or engineering major and some models will be chosen to reflect the fields of interest of the class. The goal is for the students to be able to apply the techniques learned in the course to mathematical models that they will encounter in other classes or situations. The class will be offered every other year with an expected enrollment of 10-15 students

The math department at PSU in general is complete mess. They have grad students with no teaching experience and zero lecturing skills teaching Math 140 and 141. Many have bad attitudes and have no interest in teaching. They do it because they have to.

My daughter took a pre-calc class once and the instructor seemed to forget that we was teaching a lower level math class and seemed to think that he was teaching a graduate level abstract math class. She sent me some of the sample problems he gave for a test and I had no idea what the hell he was asking. I have a PhD in chemical physics. I am good at math. Just to make sure that I was not crazy, I showed these problems to a couple of electrical engineers that I work with. Their response was "WTF! this is a pre-calc class?" They had no idea what his questions were either.

The math department does not care how bad their instructors are. They are there to weed people out and that is what they do. If you are not naturally talented at math, you have no chance. Being somewhat political is the least of the math departments problems.

http://safeguardoldstate.org/the-vicky-triponey-timeline-of-terror/

"While Jensen referenced the professor’s right to academic freedom, he noted that the university seeks to “encourage any student who believes that an instructor has acted beyond the limits of academic freedom to consult the policies and procedures in place for seeking a faculty conference and mediation.”
Academic freedom shouldn't even be the issue. The real issue is teaching the subject for which the student is paying tuition. The students should sue to have their money refunded for that course since the instructor refused to teach the subject which was described in the course bulletin. If I'm paying money to learn math, I'd expect to be taught math. If I enrolled in a Spanish course, I'd expect to taught Spanish and not agronomy.

Well, I am pretty sure thats not exactly what I have witnessed in 20 years of education, but go on....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT