ADVERTISEMENT

Mile run

meanmiJ01

Jan 2, 2003
As track season is coming into swing and not being a runner, I am curious of how fast average people are? What would be everyone’s time if they ran a mile today? I am guessing I would be between 7:00 and 7:30 without working at it.

As track season is coming into swing and not being a runner, I am curious of how fast average people are? What would be everyone’s time if they ran a mile today? I am guessing I would be between 7:00 and 7:30 without working at it.

I ran a sub 8 minute mile once. The only time I tried.

And I was / am pretty fit and jogged a lot. Just not a runner.

My jogging pace is probably 9min

I’d be a DNF.

I can bike forever. I could all day. If I was playing a game (eg hoops game) I could run all day. I just can’t run for the sake of running at all.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
CookedPerkyGyrfalcon-small.gif

Answer is highly age/fitness dependent. In my 20's/30's I could run a 5 minute mile when I was in running shape. Wouldn't even attempt a mile right now (early 60's) due to some nagging injuries. If I was injury-free, in-shape today I think I could still crank out a sub 8 minute mile.

I was curious about my single mile pace so I ran one flat out last fall in 6:45. felt like I wanted to die afterwards. Ran a 15k a few weeks later at an 8:43 pace for comparison. I'm 35 and don't run consistently. Checking strava I ran 52 times last year covering 184 miles in 28 hours.

When I was younger and running a lot I may have averaged 7:30 for a 5K being fairly well trained. I think the average person untrained doing 7:30 is a big ask. Then again I didn't train specifically for a mile distance, I ran for the pleasure of it. Now I walk, playing with house money my knees didn't get jacked up. I know a lot of runners that happened to. Then again some guys run into their golden years with no problems. But getting off topic...

I dare say if you find a non-runner who can bang out a 7:30 he's probably already doing something else regularly for fitness, or he's a young natural. Walking sucks. If you think running is boring, try walking. But I force myself.

I’m 42 and more of a lifter than a runner. I can do a 5k in 30 minutes, without any specific training. I suppose I could knock out a mile in about 8 minutes if I really needed to. My best mile time was in high school at 6:30, when I weighed about 235. I’m still at that weight but my knees hurt!

I rarely jog or run. I get cardio through boot camp type workouts.

When I was in high school my best mile time was 4:35. When I was 32 I trained for and ran the Philadelphia marathon. I ran 26.2 miles in 3:22 which translates to 7:45 miles. Today at 55 an 8 minute mile is certainly within reach but I suspect it would hurt like a mother! It sucks getting old.

Yea I’m thinking most folks that are in “decent” shape would still be pushing it to hit below 8 minutes but there’s also a huge difference between a 30 year old in decent shape and a 60 year old in decent shape. If you’re 60 and can run under an 8 minute mile you are ahead of probably 95% of your age group.

I ran a 4:35 in high school and placed third in the county. I'm guessing I could do a 9 minute mile now if my knees allowed me to go that far.

If you are between 35 & 55 and can break 8:00 you’re doing damn good.

I got back into running more heavily a few years ago and guessing I could do a 5:45 right now. Did a 5K over Thanksgiving at sub-6:30 mile pace.

Reactions: NittanyTerp
When I was about 40, I ran a 5K in 17:52 and a 10K in 36:08. I could run a mile in about 5:10. That was 30+ years ago. Now I walk at about 20 minutes a mile.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Fayette_LION
Ok got on the treadmill at the gym. I am 4 to 5 days a week at the gym but usually stair machine, elliptical, or bike, for cardio then weight training. I’m 38 6ft 215 and ran 7:55 on the treadmill. Might have been able to be 7:45 but waited to long to juice it at the end. 7:00 would definitely take some training. Hated every step.

Ok got on the treadmill at the gym. I am 4 to 5 days a week at the gym but usually stair machine, elliptical, or bike, for cardio then weight training. I’m 38 6ft 215 and ran 7:55 on the treadmill. Might have been able to be 7:45 but waited to long to juice it at the end. 7:00 would definitely take some training. Hated every step.
Turned 84 last month.
Two mile runs are in the 27 neighborhood
Last time at a mile broke into the 13 s

Turned 84 last month.
Two mile runs are in the 27 neighborhood
Last time at a mile broke into the 13 s
Good for you, that is honestly incredibly impressive. I have personally only witnessed one person in their 80’s running.

A guy used to come into the gym and hammer it out on the treadmill. He was in his early 80’s, and his gait looked labored, but man he was there nearly every day running 20-30 minutes without stopping.

Reactions: NedFromYork
My 1 mile time is about 19 minutes. However, it does vary based on the number of dogs I have to stop and pet. And, it is a walk, I do not even run to dinner now. It is the first thing I do every morning. Actually it is 1.6 miles each day. At 1 mile an app my phone announces how long it took me to get there.

Answer is highly age/fitness dependent. In my 20's/30's I could run a 5 minute mile when I was in running shape. Wouldn't even attempt a mile right now (early 60's) due to some nagging injuries. If I was injury-free, in-shape today I think I could still crank out a sub 8 minute mile.
LOL. My car can't even do that, DE! Seriously though, that is fast, IMHO! For me, late 50's, still smarting from the Big Sur marathon from 2014, I have nagging injuries from training and I still can't really run much anymore.

I’m over 50 and believe I would run around 8 min mile. I never run just 1 mile so no clue. I pace myself. I typically average under 10 min/ mile for my 3-6 mile runs. Depends on how much I drank time of day weather my excitement etc.

Here is a good barometer

btw like most comments I have knee issues. I walked 4 miles today. My pace was 15:30

https://runninglevel.com/running-times/1-mile-times

I haven't run since I pinched a nerve in my back a few years ago. Luckily, I can still play golf!

Back in high school, in order to make the basketball team you have to run 2 miles in 12 minutes. I know it's not world record pace, but it's pretty good.

Used to be able to do it in under 6:00, but am around 15-20 minutes depending on how many times the dog stops to sniff something.

I haven't run since I pinched a nerve in my back a few years ago. Luckily, I can still play golf!

Back in high school, in order to make the basketball team you have to run 2 miles in 12 minutes. I know it's not world record pace, but it's pretty good.
Had a soccer coach who made the kids do that to make the team, that is until one year a bunch of kids he cut the year before made it and his all county keeper did not....

I’m 39….ran a half marathon in October. Hadn’t ran a race since running the same event at 33. I did train 3-4 times a week for 3 months prior. My first time running it I did a 1hr 43 min and change. My goal was to break 1:40….ended up with a 1:39.21….which is a 7:35 pace. What’s amazing to me is what race day adrenaline does. I barely ran any training that fast…..told myself I was going to keep that fitness and have ran about 2x since, lol. This thread has me motivated to get back out there.

In my mid-50s and have had two meniscus tears in the past year. Before that I was doing 2+ mi in 20 min on the treadmill. So probably could get it down to a 9-9:30 mi if I ever get back into running.

That said, I'm trying to focus more on muscle development as opposed to aerobic capacity as I get older. It's hard though because I've always used cardio as a lead-in to weights. Low-impact classes are looking like a better option to get both.

Reactions: NedFromYork
If I'm going for a long run, I'm around an 8 minute a mile pace. If all I'm running is 1 mile, I'm around 6 minutes (in which I'm completely gassed afterwards).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT