ADVERTISEMENT

Football Mike Yurcich has been FIRED

Yurcich (YER-sitch), has 22 years of collegiate coaching experience, including 15 as an offensive coordinator, joins the Nittany Lions after spending the 2020 season at Texas as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. In his career as an FBS offensive coordinator, Yurcich's offenses have averaged 6.49 yards per play, which ranks first among OC's since 2013 and 14.03 yards per completion, which is first among Power Five OC's in that timeframe. Since 2013, Yurcich's offenses have scored 50 or more points 26 times and 40 or more points 51 times (50 percent of games coached), both of which are tops among FBS offensive coordinators since 2013. His teams average 61.5 touchdowns per year

Do you think that when he came to penn state he forgot how to coach offense??

Franklin is the problem. Not Yurcich

Tom Brady is kinda bored right now…..🤷🏾‍♂️
If we're throwing out crazy names, how about Bill O'Brien? Patriots are struggling this year.

NO, I am NOT seriously suggesting it - although I feel like he got a lot out of what he had in his time here.

Again, to all the posters who say FIRE Franklin it ain't happening because of his buyout, so this is the next best thing. MY has sucked in every big game and had to go. I'm shocked, however, that it happened in season. Does anyone remember PSU changing coaches during a season (except of course JVP, etc)?

Yurcich (YER-sitch), has 22 years of collegiate coaching experience, including 15 as an offensive coordinator, joins the Nittany Lions after spending the 2020 season at Texas as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. In his career as an FBS offensive coordinator, Yurcich's offenses have averaged 6.49 yards per play, which ranks first among OC's since 2013 and 14.03 yards per completion, which is first among Power Five OC's in that timeframe. Since 2013, Yurcich's offenses have scored 50 or more points 26 times and 40 or more points 51 times (50 percent of games coached), both of which are tops among FBS offensive coordinators since 2013. His teams average 61.5 touchdowns per year

Or perhaps MY's success was largely due to coaching in a conference where no team plays defense?

And at the time Franklin said he wanted MY for some years.

Will 2024 QB commit Grunkemeyer decommit? Yurcich was his lead recruiter.

I'm in the camp that the terrible offense on Saturday was as much or more Franklin's fault. His "strategy" in big games is illogical. As stated above, Yurcich does not make the call to go for 2, does not make the sorry call to go for 4th downs in minus territory. The buck stops with Franklin, but some how he keeps passing it downward.

Franklin makes a great politician. Has ultimate decision making authority, and says he takes responsibility for his team and it's level of success, but never really takes responsibility.

If there is going to be upheval, may as well get a new head coach that will bring his QB with him.....

Interesting, BOTH Franklin and Yurcich were the guys I wanted to see at the time of their hiring. Now I feel safe in admitting that BOTH of them should be gone, but for obvious reasons, only one can be gone.

Franklin is just a good, personable guy with energy, which are the attributes you need to recruit (and resurrect a dead, sanctioned program). I don't know of his IQ, but his football IQ is clearly totally inconsistent with an 8+ million dollar coach. At the time we got what was needed, but the plateau has been obvious to most of us for a long time now. The contract extension says more about Franklin's bosses than it does about Franklin.

Yurcich, as another pointed out, benefitted from a conference that plays no defense. I'm as shocked as anyone as to how he panned out.

What I want to see GONE is the pre-snap nonsense that has everyone on the field confused instead of ready to execute their assignment. It's not just the skill players, but the OL too. Run the play onto the field or use your signals if you want to freeze the defensive personnel. Allow the QB to audible if he wants, but the last thing you want is your personnel, especially the QB, focused on the sideline instead of the defense.

All of this shows in the mental mistakes that some here want to blame solely on the players.

Will 2024 QB commit Grunkemeyer decommit? Yurcich was his lead recruiter.

I'm in the camp that the terrible offense on Saturday was as much or more Franklin's fault. His "strategy" in big games is illogical. As stated above, Yurcich does not make the call to go for 2, does not make the sorry call to go for 4th downs in minus territory. The buck stops with Franklin, but some how he keeps passing it downward.
That's what happens when you know you can't be fired or don't care if they fire you. If I'm getting 64 million to get fired I'd be like, fire me, please. These buyouts are ridiculous. Next time Franklin threatens to leave, please hold the door for him and wish him luck.

Reactions: canuckhal
I feel bad for Mike but it was the right move. The game plans on offense against both Michigan and Ohio State were horrible. Downright embarrassing in fact.

Also a smart play by Franklin. This immediately changes the subject from the egg laid yesterday and appeases a lot of people who wanted something drastic to happen.

Now the 64-dollar question: who takes Mike's place. You'd have to think Franklin had somebody lined up beforehand.

I feel bad for Mike but it was the right move. The game plans on offense against both Michigan and Ohio State were horrible. Downright embarrassing in fact.

Also a smart play by Franklin. This immediately changes the subject from the egg laid yesterday and appeases a lot of people who wanted something drastic to happen.

Now the 64-dollar question: who takes Mike's place. You'd have to think Franklin had somebody lined up beforehand.
who made the decision to go for that 4th and 6, or the 2-pt conversions? If those were the OC's ideas then yes this made sense. Orherwise, if it is just about the bad offense in general, waiting until the end of the season would have made more sense.

Reactions: GregInPitt

Most coaching moves have not occurred yet in college or the NFL, so I don’t think Franklin has identified someone yet. By making the move now, he is trying to salvage something, whether that is discontent on the team, Drew Allar and his family, or a recruiting class. Or maybe he just wants a head start on recruiting someone before the rest of college football starts looking for coordinators within the next couple weeks.

Reactions: GSPMax

They are both culpable.

The 64 million dollar question was answered yesterday when Franklin decided to go for 2 in the first half. It might have appeared fairly innocuous to some at the time, but for many it confirmed what we had sensed for a long time. Low football IQ.

It turned into a national embarrassment as that mental error got followed up with a pile of other mental errors.

How can the coaches blame the players for mental errors when their's are blatant? Tell me how Franklin now coaches a player after he makes a mental mistake.

It seemed clear to me after HCJF said "not good enough" that something was imminent. He does not usually speak in that manner after a game. If this is true, and I think it likely is, it should be no shock to anybody.

Part me thought that Franklin was being somewhat cynical. "Getting beat by the #1 and #3 teams in the nation is not good enough."

Wasn't Cirroca fired so he could bring in Yurcich? JFC, how long will it take to realize what the real problem is.

Yes he was. He got his guy, and same old same old.

When will PSU realize what the problem is? That's the bigger question.

Reactions: hoflane
Part me thought that Franklin was being somewhat cynical. "Getting beat by the #1 and #3 teams in the nation is not good enough."
Yeah, thought that was weird like most of his shtick. Basically an apology with an excuse wrapped into 1

Reactions: m.knox
Yes he was. He got his guy, and same old same old.

When will PSU realize what the problem is? That's the bigger question.
they likely know what the problem is, but the prior administration created a massive contract that constrains them from doing much of anything about it anytime in the next 5-6 years

Reactions: hoflane
Let’s be fair.

We don’t know what goes on in the locker room.

This is the first year PSU has had commensurate talent in all 22 positions. The play calling was horrible and way too conservative against both um and osu.

Klatt called out one play as "a difficult concept." Then he went on to explain why. Tough throw to make, tough route to run, tough to get open, short side of the field........ My translation was "bad play."

So not only conservative, but then calling plays that are hard to execute. Contrast that to what UM was doing by lining up 7 lineman on the line, and handing off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT