ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Munchak as Offensive Coordinator? Possible????

Michael.Felli

Mar 19, 2013
If Donovan is under a microscope and doesn't perform, how about Mike Munchak as OC?

Mike took an OL position job with the Steelers, so I don't think the OC at Penn State would be "beneath" him. Plus, wouldn't this hire come directly from Coach Franklin (thereby bypassing the thoughts of the BOT).

I would think that Coach Franklin and Mike would be quite able to carry on an amicable and professional relationship. Plus, with depth of knowledge Mike carries through the years, that would benefit Franklin immensely.

Anyway, something that I would like to see happen.

What in the world would make you think that hiring a guy who has never been an offensive coordinator at any level and has never called plays at any level would be a better option than what we have now - however poor that current option may be?

No coach is getting fired from PSU anytime in the near future. Franklin said in his first press conference that he is loyal to a fault. He has his men in place and unless they leave for another job they won't be removed unless Franklin is. I would love to have Munchak for an OL coach though. I would hope he could do something with this group. Never going to happen though, he is very good at his job with the Steelers.

Reactions: Jerademan74
What in the world would make you think that hiring a guy who has never been an offensive coordinator at any level and has never called plays at any level would be a better option than what we have now - however poor that current option may be?
Because he is obsessed with Munchak.

If Donovan is under a microscope and doesn't perform, how about Mike Munchak as OC?

Mike took an OL position job with the Steelers, so I don't think the OC at Penn State would be "beneath" him. Plus, wouldn't this hire come directly from Coach Franklin (thereby bypassing the thoughts of the BOT).

I would think that Coach Franklin and Mike would be quite able to carry on an amicable and professional relationship. Plus, with depth of knowledge Mike carries through the years, that would benefit Franklin immensely.

NO

Wasn't he the Head Coach for the Titans? Not following you on that.

Also, not stating that I think it is a good idea or any chance of happening.

No.

Wasn't he the Head Coach for the Titans? Not following you on that.

Also, not stating that I think it is a good idea or any chance of happening.
Munchak was the head coach for the Titans, but he was never the offensive coordinator - he moved straight from the OL coach to head coach. Dowell Loggains was the OC in 2012-13 and 2013-14, and Chris Palmer was the OC in 2011-12. I presume that they were charged with day-to-day playcalling and scheming, and not Munchak.

No coach is getting fired from PSU anytime in the near future. Franklin said in his first press conference that he is loyal to a fault. He has his men in place and unless they leave for another job they won't be removed unless Franklin is. I would love to have Munchak for an OL coach though. I would hope he could do something with this group. Never going to happen though, he is very good at his job with the Steelers.
Although I would hope that you are wrong here, I agree 100% with you.

I would LOVE to get John Hufnagel to be the "new" Galen Hall. But, no way "they" hire a PSU guy.

Mike is a career position coach. He tried being a head coach. It didn't work out. Don't let that stop you from promoting him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT