ADVERTISEMENT

Sandy.....hire Mike Munchak TONIGHT!

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
So it looks like Denver is going firtheir coach and a certain Mike Munchak will be released. Already heard Pittsburgh sports guys saying they need to bring him back to the Steelers.

Sandy needs to call him tonight and close the deal. Ok.......have Franklin call him since he is HC. Somebody....anybody......needs to call him. And write a check big enough.

He’s never coached college football. Of you were him, would you be interested in sucking up to a bunch of entitled 16 year olds?
Yeah, would much rather work with 25 yr old multimillionaires making 5-10 times what you are and are more worried about building their Tik Toc following.....

Or.....IDK..... how’s about going back to your alma mater, helping them correct their biggest weakness, and work with a couple ‘entitled’ kids like Allar and Singletown. And helping them into the playoffs for the first time.

OK, I know we have no shot at getting him. Won’t leave his family. We won’t pay near what pro teams would. He has never been a college coach. But it’s fun to dream.

Besides, this board has gotten pretty boring since 80% of the people left. Gotta juice it up somehow.

Last edited:
Yeah, would much rather work with 25 yr old multimillionaires making 5-10 times what you are and are more worried about building their Tik Toc following.....

Or.....IDK..... how’s about going back to your alma mater, helping them correct their biggest weakness, and work with a couple ‘entitled’ kids like Allar and Singletown. And helping them into the playoffs for the first time.

OK, I know we have no shot at getting him. Won’t leave his family. We won’t pay near what pro teams would. He has never been a college coach. But it’s fun to dream.

Besides, this board has gotten pretty boring since 80% of the people left. Gotta juice it up somehow.
Unfortunately it's a slow period for college football, maybe (and I'm not hoping for this) the transfer portal will evolve to where media and recruiting services will follow (and profit from) it for a little more 'excitement'....personally some down time is good.

I don't necessarily see Singleton as 'entitled'...he seems to be very focused and hard-working, and may come in and get some benefit from his focus and hard work...but that will be decided in practice and games.

As far as Munchak, remember seeing him once on campus and thought he looked a little pudgy, not as sculpted as his team mate and friend Sean Farrell, but hey what do I or anyone know about OL...I had an engineering classmate, about the same size as myself in college, 170-180 range, who was a bouncer at one of the college bars when Sean spit on one of their waitresses...when my friend went over to Sean to convene and try to talk him down, and had to reluctantly go on 'offense', Munchak arm came of nowhere, stopping his, and saying 'I wouldn't do that if I were you'...too funny. I was just happy my Steelers had him for a bit after they lost what was thought of as very good OL coach, Senior Kugler, whose son ended up at Univ of Michigan and didn't seem to do much. His approach seemed very logical but there are still very poorly coached and prepared OLs in college and the pros.

And if he does retire, good for him. I remember his Pro Football Hall of Fame speech, where he recounted how he was moved around to various offensive and defensive position before Dick Anderson told him maybe his place was on the OL...thought there was a nice lesson there. He
seemed to limp a bit, not sure if he's had knee or hip surgery/replacement, but in any case, he's more than put in his time and paid his dues. And if Penn State, and the Steelers for that matter cannot find qualified position coaches, well maybe the next change should be at the top, or the school and fanbase should accept frequent mediocrity with the occasional over-achievement.

Why do you think at 61 he wants to suddenly start coaching college football? If he had any interest in coaching college ball he would have done it already.

First off, it's Singleton. Second, you don't know the first damn thing about him. Third, my secretary's son played on the Mifflin team and is one of Nick's best friends. He is the farthest thing from "entitled", but you keep posting whatever drivel floats your boat.

First off, it's Singleton. Second, you don't know the first damn thing about him. Third, my secretary's son played on the Mifflin team and is one of Nick's best friends. He is the farthest thing from "entitled", but you keep posting whatever drivel floats your boat.
My God don’t be such an ass. I put entitled in quotes because I was quoting a previous post saying Munchack would not want to coach entitled kids. I was pointing out the illogical post he made by using two players that have excelled through hard work. Don’t know either player but from interviews and their success I doubt they think they are entitled to anything more than a fair chance.

Guess I should have made more clear but the quotes should have stipulated it was a quote of someone else. And for misspelling his name. Sorry. Certainly didn’t mean to.

Last edited:
Perhaps James could hire him as an analyst. Nothing wrong with having an extra pair of eyes on our most glaring problem. I'm not sure comfortable Trautwein would be with that scenario. Who would be? Still, everyone can learn and that includes position coaches, coordinators, and head coaches.

Perhaps James could hire him as an analyst. Nothing wrong with having an extra pair of eyes on our most glaring problem. I'm not sure comfortable Trautwein would be with that scenario. Who would be? Still, everyone can learn and that includes position coaches, coordinators, and head coaches.

"I don't hire anybody not brighter than I am. If they're not brighter than I am, I don't need them."

I would be very happy to have Sean Lee as our LB coach!!!!

Munchak isn't going to coach college ball and recruit for the first time in his 60s. It doesn't even make sense for anyone involved. The time to hire Munchak would have been as the head coach to replace O'Brien in 2014. If I remember correctly the Titans fired him a week or two before we hired Franklin.

Why do you think at 61 he wants to suddenly start coaching college football? If he had any interest in coaching college ball he would have done it already.
Would love to add him to the staff, but it probably will not happen.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
ADVERTISEMENT