ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Farrell interview with Lavert Hill

Nittany18

Dec 28, 2013
Anyone watch this?!? This Farrell jackass is basically trying to talk Hill out of his commitment to PSU!!! WTF is wrong with this dude???

Reactions: Hotshoe and WeR0206
Farrell has serious issues with PSU. Kind of like how many of our commits curiously get ranked lower and lower as the process evolves.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Anyone watch this?!? This Farrell jackass is basically trying to talk Hill out of his commitment to PSU!!! WTF is wrong with this dude???

I think most people do realize that these "experts" (90+% of them anyway) are nothing but mouth-breathing, jock-sniffing, cheeseburger-eating doofuses.

Nothing better to do with his time but to fawn over teenage boys.....hoping to entice them to talk with them? Really?

That being said, that interview was beyond creepy. I don't know if I have ever seen him interview a HS prospect, but if that is par for the course.......shame on whomever employs him. He truly is one scummy character.
Probably has the social-intellectual development of a pre-middle school child.

One would HOPE that Farrell is the "worst of the worst"......because if there are any worse than him, God help the "recruiting guru" business.

I think most people do realize that these "experts" (90+% of them anyway) are nothing but mouth-breathing, jock-sniffing, cheeseburger-eating doofuses.

Nothing better to do with his time but to fawn over teenage boys.....hoping to entice them to talk with them? Really?

That being said, that interview was beyond creepy. I don't know if I have ever seen him interview a HS prospect, but if that is par for the course.......shame on whomever employs him. He truly is one scummy character.
Probably has the social-intellectual development of a pre-middle school child.

One would HOPE that Farrell is the "worst of the worst"......because if there are any worse than him, God help the "recruiting guru" business.
You're making a joke right? He's a Rivals guy

That was so weird. We have to win games though to keep the momentum. That is what matters most.

Do yourself a favor and quit watching or reading this stuff. It's a sleazy business and pocket of 'journalism' best left to those with nothing better to do. Any hack with a computer can be a 'guru' these days.

Sorry to say it's a part of the silliness that recruiting has become. It's up to Franklin to continue to "kiss ass" and sell himself and PSU up to signing day. I believe THAT was factor in OB wanting to coach in the NFL. Granted there is a whole other set of issues there but generally not the very visible butt kissing that is Div 1 football.

Reactions: EPC FAN

Just think of the worst idiots on these free message boards and then provide them with more motivation (and some level of conformation of their self worth), by paying them to fawn over teenage boys.

Reactions: EPC FAN and bjf1984
Mike Farrell ... just another recruiting junky pusher .... loaded with self professed yet immeasurable football talent knowledge. Quantitatively... just another con man.

Well yeah this is true but it takes a special type of guy to be disliked across the board...by everyone. Every fanbase and even coworkers it seems to a degree. He isn't being picked on when people make fun of him just because he is of a profession that some people consider a certain "way". It's because he stands out as bad and over the top even in "that" profession.

I have more respect for the recruiting gurus than many of you guys. The poster that mentioned decommits are good for business has it right. Farrell doesn't care where kids go, but controversy and anything that stirs up fan bases is news that is good for business. Reporters do the same thing when it comes to college players leaving early for the NFL. They constantly bring it up to players and coaches and seem to actively encourage players to leave. They're not content to report news, but want to make it happen. They harp on any little hint the player may change his verbal or go to the league.

Im sure its not above Michigan or ND or whoever to offer $$ to Farrell to inject his "opinion" into some of his recruiting interviews. I also think most if not all of the B1G schools are not happy PSU is recruiting so well 3 years after the sanctions. Most thought PSU football would suffer for decades.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Im sure its not above Michigan or ND or whoever to offer $$ to Farrell to inject his "opinion" into some of his recruiting interviews. I also think most if not all of the B1G schools are not happy PSU is recruiting so well 3 years after the sanctions. Most thought PSU football would suffer for decades.
Cmon man. As you know I'm a Michigan fan. Michigan isn't gonna give Farrell money to inject an opinion. 99% of Michigan fans can't stand that guy. I have a feeling that 99% of pretty much all schools can't stand him. That dude is a weird one. His interviews are just plain odd.

Reactions: EPC FAN
unnamed_zpsprocxmsn.png

A few things there. I don't like Shane's comment about "never picked up a ball" plenty of great coaches out there at the higher levels who didn't play at close to the level he will. Doesn't mean they don't know the game or can evaluate talent. That said, Farrell isn't one of them.

What in the world is Farrell doing naming players that need to improve or giving out awards that "you don't want to win"?? This was a camp to highlight excellence and he is spending his page space writing about guys that "need to improve". Seriously is he insane. They are high school kids, if you don't have a compliment for them leave them out of your article. If you're criticizing them for them to get better then do it out on the field and show them the right way to do it. And why would you call out two kids committed to the same school who have both been on meteoric rises in every other ranking service. Just comes off as moronic. Going to hurt him and Rivals. This is why the Opening and Nike are kicking the crap out of Rvials and UA.

Lastly, good for Shane for calling out his duplicity.

...and yet the majority of college football was more than ready to nail the coffin of one of few remaining honorable men in that profession.

I cannot help but remember Joe's off-record comment about not wanting to leave college football to the Barry Switzers and Jackie Sherrills. He could have added many more to his list.

I just finished watching the Friday Night Light series where the RB Smash Williams agonizes over a super guru, the 'King Maker' comes to one of his games.

While we live in a world where you are often advised to take your criticism gracefully, I applaud some of the these kids redirecting it back to (many times) the unknowing or unqualified 'professional' (so are prostitutes) adult experts.

I would recommend checking out Roone Arledge's biography-he started the tv coverage of college football. In it, Chris Schenkel, the long time bowling announcer and one of the early college football tv announcers, proclaimed he was very against criticizing college football players because they are 'just kids'.

Last edited:
Here is the interview with Hill, if anyone hasn't seen it yet. Go down to the video #5 Lavert Hill.

Link

Here is the interview with Hill, if anyone hasn't seen it yet. Go down to the video #5 Lavert Hill.

Link

'You got other guys here, Miles Sanders, committed to Penn State - looking around. You've got other guys looking around...'. What horsesh*t. The best part of the video is Hill's disposition, which is one of, 'what a knob this guy is.'

Link
Watched the interview just for fun....Not the biggest Farrell fan but I do think some people are way off base on this one...MF is certainly asking the questions for a reason...

Let's put some things in context. First...I'm sure you guys all know he has an older brother that plays at Michigan. What some might not know is older bro, when he was a recruit, was committed to Iowa and recruiting for them. Said he was solid...he then flipped to Michigan at the end so there is kind of some history in this family that Farrell is aware of.

A few months ago little bro took 3 visits to Michigan in a two week period. He told some people that he was considering flipping. Told some people that he was. He didn't and both parties moved on...so no worries on Michigan...but it did happen

From what I understand he has now met with the coaches at MSU twice recently. What that truly means you'll have to ask your and MSU's insiders but it did happen.

I have no idea how serious the kid is about looking around. I actually don't care all that much because right now Michigan is not in the picture (thus the question about both schools or just one). Im actually rooting for you guys on this one because I'd prefer for him not to go to MSU. But if you think that Farrell is asking those questions out of nowhere than you are just not paying attention...just look at the way the kid responds to the questions...no anger...no confusion...just kind of grins his way through it...btw...one thing I do know...Farrell told him what questions he was going to ask before the interview...think about that for a second

Reactions: Ranger Dan
His write up on the rivals camps wreaks of old man trying to be in with the young crowd and not doing so well at it. His categories are just childish and the way he calls out Penn State commits does seem as though he has an axe to grind. How are these guys going to camps and winning MVP awards and then getting write ups about being a disappointment? What, did they disappoint this self-appointed guru that they chose Penn State?

Win some, lose some. If he flips, he flips, and life goes on. But as of now, he hasn't flipped. We'll need a good season to keep him, most likely, but at the end of the day we'll be fine.

Watched the interview just for fun....Not the biggest Farrell fan but I do think some people are way off base on this one...MF is certainly asking the questions for a reason...

Let's put some things in context. First...I'm sure you guys all know he has an older brother that plays at Michigan. What some might not know is older bro, when he was a recruit, was committed to Iowa and recruiting for them. Said he was solid...he then flipped to Michigan at the end so there is kind of some history in this family that Farrell is aware of.

A few months ago little bro took 3 visits to Michigan in a two week period. He told some people that he was considering flipping. Told some people that he was. He didn't and both parties moved on...so no worries on Michigan...but it did happen

From what I understand he has now met with the coaches at MSU twice recently. What that truly means you'll have to ask your and MSU's insiders but it did happen.

I have no idea how serious the kid is about looking around. I actually don't care all that much because right now Michigan is not in the picture (thus the question about both schools or just one). Im actually rooting for you guys on this one because I'd prefer for him not to go to MSU. But if you think that Farrell is asking those questions out of nowhere than you are just not paying attention...just look at the way the kid responds to the questions...no anger...no confusion...just kind of grins his way through it...btw...one thing I do know...Farrell told him what questions he was going to ask before the interview...think about that for a second

Farrell is a sh*t stirrer. And telling someone what questions you're going to ask doesn't mean much - it's a courtesy in case the kid doesn't want to talk about a specific subject. My guess is if Hill had issues either way, or thought he wouldn't be convincing enough to say - repeatedly - that he's not looking around or considering anyone else, he wouldn't allow MF to ask the question. And if that was your point, I missed it.

Farrell is a sh*t stirrer. And telling someone what questions you're going to ask doesn't mean much - it's a courtesy in case the kid doesn't want to talk about a specific subject. My guess is if Hill had issues either way, or thought he wouldn't be convincing enough to say - repeatedly - that he's not looking around or considering anyone else, he wouldn't allow MF to ask the question. And if that was your point, I missed it.

Anyone who watches that interview and can't see that Farrell has an agenda has his head stuck DEEP up his ***.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Well that is a part of it. There are plenty of things to call out Farrell for but I don't see him asking those types of questions as an issue considering that Hill has in fact continued to not only talk to other coaching staffs but also taken visits to those campuses. When he completely shuts things down then there will be no need to ask those questions anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT