ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan and refs, now this is funny

Do you remember Bobby Engram's key 3rd down catch at the 3 yard line late in the Texas Tech game in 1995 that set up the go-ahead TD? Look at that catch again. Based on the available video, it doesn't look like he got even a toe in bounds. Fail that conversion, and we probably lose that game.

Fortunately, the refs called it in-play, we scored the go-ahead TD, and won the game (after TT and Brett Conway traded FGs).

Of course most PSU fans don't remember that. I'd bet TT fans do, though.

Fans in general tend to have selective amnesia regarding bad/missed calls that went in their team's favor. I'm guilty of it, too. It happens.
Don’t remember that one, but you had to go back to 95 to find one in our favor and there was no replay to overturn it (which it sounds like they would have with replay)….I can go back to last year and find one that went against us with replay.

#Michigan is one of the most screwed teams by the refs and this proves it.

giphy.gif

Reactions: ChiTownLion
I've seen enough calls both ways over more than 50 years to know that it's all part of the game- score enough that one or two calls won't matter and it's a non issue
I used to believe that until I had the "pleasure" of watching B1G Refs, like "Crooked Walk" Whitovet, "just be glad your playing" John O'Neil and "I have a Michigan Helmet on my bookcase" Dick Honig.

Please tell me the absolutely botched calls we’ve had go our way against OSU….I’ll wait. Hell, please tell me the botched calls that went for any Big 10 team playing OSU…again, I’ll wait.
When Illinois with Juice Williams beat OSU there way a long pass or pass and run that took the Illini deep into OSU territory. Runner fumbled and was recovered by OSU. Not called a fumble and not reversed upon review.

Just didn't want you waiting forever.

You mean like the pass interference late in the 2016 game that wasn’t called?
The officials appeared to miss 2 calls on that play. The center of attention PI, but also a seemingly hands to the face by the tOSU left tackle on the PSU end rusher. I believe if you have a clip of the whole play that both would be noticeable.

• Love
Reactions: ChiTownLion
Do you remember Bobby Engram's key 3rd down catch at the 3 yard line late in the Texas Tech game in 1995 that set up the go-ahead TD? Look at that catch again. Based on the available video, it doesn't look like he got even a toe in bounds. Fail that conversion, and we probably lose that game.
See below. I may not have the greatest eyes, but at 15:41 he easily has a toe down and already has the ball in his hands and his body turning. At 15:54 his foot is shown within the field of play for the same play.

When Illinois with Juice Williams beat OSU there way a long pass or pass and run that took the Illini deep into OSU territory. Runner fumbled and was recovered by OSU. Not called a fumble and not reversed upon review.

The guy who fumbled was Daniel Dufrene. And it was a very clear and obvious fumble, which I believe OSU recovered in the end zone (or the ball went through the end zone out of bounds, which would have resulted in a change of possession -- don't remember which).

Either way, I'm all for it. That win sent Illinois to the Rose Bowl and knocked OSU from their #1 spot.

But no doubt about it, it was a terrible call.

It's okay to admit that we've benefited from bad/missed calls, too. Every team has. On many occasions. We all remember '82 Nebraska, I'm sure.
Because the media focused on a single hand picked play from the game and not the whole game. Fans from all over loved to point this out over the years.

If one is familiar with the complete game, one would realize that the officials were consistent about how many feet had to be down within the field of play for a ruling of a completed reception.

I can think of 1 main B1G bad call to go PSU's way late in a close game. An onside kick recovery vs Illinois.

Because the media focused on a single hand picked play from the game and not the whole game. Fans from all over loved to point this out over the years.

If one is familiar with the complete game, one would realize that the officials were consistent about how many feet had to be down within the field of play for a ruling of a completed reception.

I've watched the entire game many times. But even McCloskey admitted afterward he wasn't in bounds. And regardless of how the refs called the prior 59 minutes and 45 seconds, that call pretty much gave us a win -- and thus a national title.

Of course, bad calls happen throughout the course of a game, but people naturally remember the big ones that happen in key moments. That was as key a moment as they come.

But as McCloskey himself said years later, it was a pre-emptive make up for the 1994 screw job. Neb fans say 1994 was payback for the '82 screw job.

The one go to for OSU….that’s the only call any OSU fan can ever think of…we have gotten more than that in one game.

Watched the 1985 PSU/Alabama game last night on btn. Very few penalties but when there was, the refs were very forceful and demonstrative. Every call the refs made was made with meaning. Better than any officiated game I have seen since joining the big one.

See below. I may not have the greatest eyes, but at 15:41 he easily has a toe down and already has the ball in his hands and his body turning. At 15:54 his foot is shown within the field of play for the same play.
You're right -- definitely a good toe tap for Engram. Goes to show what age does......I just recall remembering how close that call was, and when I went back to the Youtube video to check (see the 6:35 mark below), it sure seemed like he caught it out of bounds. Even the crowd reaction was a bit mixed.

Hell, I didn't even bring up how badly Pat F. was mugged during the 2019 OSU when Levis threw that horrible pick.....Still too pissed at Rahne for attempting to throw the ball when Levis and Co was running it down their throats (God, Rahne loved to go away from the run when it worked)....

You're right -- definitely a good toe tap for Engram. Goes to show what age does......I just recall remembering how close that call was, and when I went back to the Youtube video to check (see the 6:35 mark below), it sure seemed like he caught it out of bounds. Even the crowd reaction was a bit mixed.

Kind of supports my point…when I talk about missed calls, I don’t mean ones that could go either way. I’m talking about completely blown calls, like many of the calls against us when we play OSU. Also last year at Indiana. I work with a guy who played for Indiana in 87….in fact he had the key play in their big win over Michigan that year. He even said they blew the call in OT. And they blew it with replay. I know snap judgement calls can go either way, but when the bulk of the really blown calls go against you over the years, it can’t be accidental.

Reactions: Option Bob
It is hard to fathom a Penn State fan who was following the games back then and wasn’t completely convinced that Dick Honig, David Witvoet, Bill LeMonnier and Dave Parry were crooked referines.

They are the reason why Joe Paterno twisted Jim Delany’s arm to allow instant replay in the Big Ten.

I’m not sure which referine was better — the one who was found to be legally blind or the one whose actual will asked people to forgo flowers at his funeral in lieu of donations to the Univ of Michigan.

Last edited:
I can't find the video but there was the infamous catch awarded a Michigan player who landed with his toe inbounds and the rest of his foot out of bounds. After review, the catch was deemed good. Unbelievable.

Unless there are legit concerns and if you don’t think we’ve had legit concerns especially against OSU, then you haven’t been watching.
Well, all of College Football was changed with the addition of replay because of such concerns - so yes, I would say the concerns are legit.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I can't find the video but there was the infamous catch awarded a Michigan player who landed with his toe inbounds and the rest of his foot out of bounds. After review, the catch was deemed good. Unbelievable.
Agreed…But nothing was more obvious than the TD ruled a fumble at Nebraska…daylight robbery.

Reactions: creamery freak
I used to believe that until I had the "pleasure" of watching B1G Refs, like "Crooked Walk" Whitovet, "just be glad your playing" John O'Neil and "I have a Michigan Helmet on my bookcase" Dick Honig.
These clowns delegitimize college football - they are that bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Option Bob
You asked for an example of a bad/missed call that benefited us vs. OSU. I gave you one. I'm sure even you can admit that Jordan Smith clearly grabbed the arm of the WR while the ball was still in play, right?

It's okay to admit that we've benefited from bad/missed calls, too. Every team has. On many occasions. We all remember '82 Nebraska, I'm sure. I tend to believe it all sort of evens out in the grand scheme of things, but to each his own.

Like when we recovered a Nebraska fumbled but the refs said a clear lateral was a forward pass?

I've watched the entire game many times. But even McCloskey admitted afterward he wasn't in bounds. And regardless of how the refs called the prior 59 minutes and 45 seconds, that call pretty much gave us a win -- and thus a national title.

Of course, bad calls happen throughout the course of a game, but people naturally remember the big ones that happen in key moments. That was as key a moment as they come.

But as McCloskey himself said years later, it was a pre-emptive make up for the 1994 screw job. Neb fans say 1994 was payback for the '82 screw job.
Watch the replay, McCloskey wasn’t looking down at his feet to know. He also made that comment at a Nebraska booster event. Perhaps he wanted to get out alive.

Well, all of College Football was changed with the addition of replay because of such concerns - so yes, I would say the concerns are legit.
Which makes it even worse when you get shafted and they still don’t make the right call.

Reactions: MacNit07
Every fan 's team feels that they always get shafted by the officals when they loose.

Every fan 's team feels that they always get shafted by the officals when they loose.
The problem is when it seems systematic.

Like I stated previously, I can tolerate the recent officiating. The call to end the IN game last year was wrong but close enough for me to say win some/lose some. The targeting call to banish our last linebacker against MI was BS but perhaps the rules were confusing. OSU will always provide reffing lowlights but i guess I have learned to live with some things there.

From the time we joined the B10 to instant replay and the retirement of some OG refs, it was every week. When you are more interested in the ref crew than the starting QB before the game, something is wrong. And it wasn’t all in my head. There too many examples of ”hard” game changing calls and ”soft” game influencing calls to list or to argue.

I've watched the entire game many times. But even McCloskey admitted afterward he wasn't in bounds.
I never claimed otherwise.
And regardless of how the refs called the prior 59 minutes and 45 seconds, that call pretty much gave us a win
I disagree with this. While the call certainly made things less difficult, the play itself and the result of it were not definitive (i.e. a 4th/5th down, turnover, score, etc.) themselves. Had it been called correctly, it would have been 3rd and 5 from inside thee 18-yd line with 0:09 left. I won't guarantee they score, but I'm not Nostradamus, and neither is anyone else, to know what would have happened. There was plenty of time for two more plays.

In addition, I don't agree with regardless of how the rest of the game was called. Late in the 3rd Qtr with PSU lined up inside the NU 40, the officials ruled that Jon Williams caught and fumbled a pass without ever having one of his feet touch the ground. The actual telecast of the game showed this replay multiple times.

Without using the benefit of knowing what happened afterwards, a mis-called turnover has more impact on a drive than a mis-called first down ruling on a 2nd and 5 play.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
In addition, I don't agree with regardless of how the rest of the game was called. Late in the 3rd Qtr with PSU lined up inside the NU 40, the officials ruled that Jon Williams caught and fumbled a pass without ever having one of his feet touch the ground. The actual telecast of the game showed this replay multiple times.

Without using the benefit of knowing what happened afterwards, a mis-called turnover has more impact on a drive than a mis-called first down ruling on a 2nd and 5 play.
Good call on the Jon Williams non-catch non-fumble. It was 2nd and 10 from NU's 38 yard line. Even by those days relatively loose catch/no-catch requirements I don't know how you call that a catch and fumble. PSU was marching and could have gone up by two scores very late in the 3rd quarter.

Aren't we always told "they even out"?! Check it out at the 1:54:49 mark. The one announcer thought it might have been a lateral, which it clearly was not.

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT