ADVERTISEMENT

Message from Scott

I stated at the time that the sanctions were reduced that it was a disgrace for Penn State to accept the dropping of the sanctions. There upper level administrators- including the president, head of campus police, athletic director, and head football coach- actively participated in covering up of the pedophilic activities of a former employee/professor emeritus.
THAT is a serious sign of a football culture problem.

I stated at the time that the sanctions were reduced that it was a disgrace for Penn State to accept the dropping of the sanctions. There upper level administrators- including the president, head of campus police, athletic director, and head football coach- actively participated in covering up of the pedophilic activities of a former employee/professor emeritus.
THAT is a serious sign of a football culture problem

and you know that HOW?

Reactions: bwifan
Would they accept? The Board already issued such an apology back on March 12, 2012 and we haven't heard of any JVP family member accepting so the answer appears to be clearly no. This from the official Board statement of March 12th, 2012:

"The Board spent hours on conference calls between Saturday, Nov. 5, and Tuesday, Nov. 8, discussing appropriate action and our fiduciary responsibility as the Trustees. On Wednesday evening, Nov. 9, we met in person in State College. At about 9 pm, we unanimously made the difficult decision that Coach Paterno’s failure of leadership required his removal as football coach.

We are sorry for the unfortunate way we had to deliver the news on the telephone about an hour later to Coach Paterno. However, we saw no better alternative. Because Coach Paterno’s home was surrounded by media representatives, photographers and others, we did not believe there was a dignified, private and secure way to send Board representatives to meet with him there. Nor did we believe it would be wise to wait until the next morning, since we believed it was probable that Coach Paterno would hear the news beforehand from other sources, which would be inappropriate.

Thus, we sent a representative of the Athletic Department to ask Coach Paterno to call us. When the coach called, the Board member who received the call planned to tell him that (1) the Board had decided unanimously to remove him as coach; (2) the Board regretted having to deliver the message over the telephone; and (3) his employment contract would continue, including all financial benefits and his continued status as a tenured faculty member. However, after this Board member communicated the first message, Coach Paterno ended the call, so the second and third messages could not be delivered."

If the Paterno family is looking for an apology for the actual decision to remove JVP, they shouldn't hold their breath. The Board entered into a decision for his removal because they believed it was in the best interest of the university which supersedes the interest of any one individual and/or family as it should.

"The Pennsylvania State University Board of Trustees has been asked by members of the Penn State community, including students, faculty, staff and alumni, to state clearly its reasons for the difficult decisions that were made unanimously on the evening of Nov. 9, 2011 — to remove Graham Spanier as president of the University and Joe Paterno as head football coach for the remaining three games of the 2011 season. Our decisions were guided by our obligation as Trustees, always, to put the interests of the University first."

Rather than looking for apologies and suing the university, perhaps the JVP family should consider thanking the university for providing a venue for the family patriarchs memorial service.

Did you get central air put in yet or still using window units? Going to be hot this weekend in the mid atlantic....

By all means please amaze of with FACTS not innuendo's or rumors... And please also reference your FACTS with links to back them up. Otherwise beat it troll....

Reactions: Ski
Must be why ALL of the so-called "cover-up" charges have now been officially dropped, so what do you state at THIS time?

Reactions: Ski
18ss98mvcscxojpg.jpg

Hard to believe that many people on this board would miss my point.
The point is not that I believe that. The point is that the board paid $8,000,000+ for a report that says that and they didn't refute it meaning they believe it as well. If they believe that than they should never have considered anything about a reduction of sanctions. In fact, if they really believed it they should have shut down the program. Alas, they did not do that.

The point is not that I believe that. The point is that the board paid $8,000,000+ for a report that says that and they didn't refute it meaning they believe it as well. If they believe that than they should never have considered anything about a reduction of sanctions. In fact, if they really believed it they should have shut down the program. Alas, they did not do that.
okay, gotcha.
Your original point was not clearly made.

Reactions: bwifan
thumbs-up.jpg

Would they accept? The Board already issued such an apology back on March 12, 2012 and we haven't heard of any JVP family member accepting so the answer appears to be clearly no. This from the official Board statement of March 12th, 2012:

"The Board spent hours on conference calls between Saturday, Nov. 5, and Tuesday, Nov. 8, discussing appropriate action and our fiduciary responsibility as the Trustees. On Wednesday evening, Nov. 9, we met in person in State College. At about 9 pm, we unanimously made the difficult decision that Coach Paterno’s failure of leadership required his removal as football coach.

We are sorry for the unfortunate way we had to deliver the news on the telephone about an hour later to Coach Paterno. However, we saw no better alternative. Because Coach Paterno’s home was surrounded by media representatives, photographers and others, we did not believe there was a dignified, private and secure way to send Board representatives to meet with him there. Nor did we believe it would be wise to wait until the next morning, since we believed it was probable that Coach Paterno would hear the news beforehand from other sources, which would be inappropriate.

Thus, we sent a representative of the Athletic Department to ask Coach Paterno to call us. When the coach called, the Board member who received the call planned to tell him that (1) the Board had decided unanimously to remove him as coach; (2) the Board regretted having to deliver the message over the telephone; and (3) his employment contract would continue, including all financial benefits and his continued status as a tenured faculty member. However, after this Board member communicated the first message, Coach Paterno ended the call, so the second and third messages could not be delivered."

If the Paterno family is looking for an apology for the actual decision to remove JVP, they shouldn't hold their breath. The Board entered into a decision for his removal because they believed it was in the best interest of the university which supersedes the interest of any one individual and/or family as it should.

"The Pennsylvania State University Board of Trustees has been asked by members of the Penn State community, including students, faculty, staff and alumni, to state clearly its reasons for the difficult decisions that were made unanimously on the evening of Nov. 9, 2011 — to remove Graham Spanier as president of the University and Joe Paterno as head football coach for the remaining three games of the 2011 season. Our decisions were guided by our obligation as Trustees, always, to put the interests of the University first."

Rather than looking for apologies and suing the university, perhaps the JVP family should consider thanking the university for providing a venue for the family patriarchs memorial service.

Wow. You really are a total dickhead, aren't you?

"We are sorry for the unfortunate way we had to deliver the news on the telephone about an hour later to Coach Paterno."

Pure bullsh!t. We apologize for doing what we "had to" do? This is not an apology, it is an excuse based on a falsehood, and the response of unapologetic cowards. The Paterno's have every right to tell them to take their "apology" and shove it up their a$$.

Pure bullsh!t. We apologize for doing what we "had to" do? This is not an apology, it is an excuse based on a falsehood, and the response of unapologetic cowards. The Paterno's have every right to tell them to take their "apology" and shove it up their a$$.

Like my dad used to say "With both hands, up to their armpits".

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles

kind of reminds me of people who are "sorry" they got caught doing something wrong, but not really sorry for their actions

kind of reminds me of people who are "sorry" they got caught doing something wrong, but not really sorry for their actions

Years ago, I went to my sister's for dinner, and my cousin the pathological liar lived across the street. Terrible screams were coming from Denny the liars house. I asked my niece what was up and she said BS Denny was beating Wayne because he was cheating. I said nope, Bullshit boy was beating him because he was caught cheating.

Reactions: simons96
Years ago, I went to my sister's for dinner, and my cousin the pathological liar lived across the street. Terrible screams were coming from Denny the liars house. I asked my niece what was up and she said BS Denny was beating Wayne because he was cheating. I said nope, Bullshit boy was beating him because he was caught cheating.
Some of your personal posts explain quite a bit.

Reactions: Phil's Rug

Exactly. In no way, shape, or form was that an apology. And he forgot to include that they HAD TO fire Paterno because of the grand jury presentment. The Paterno family did respond to that board statement on the same day - they certainly didn't take it as an apology. The full text of their response is at the bottom of this post.

-----
The Penn State board of trustees responds to continued questions about why they fired Paterno. The reason for this new statement by the board is explained at the beginning of their 3/12/2012 statement:
http://news.psu.edu/story/150954/2012/03/12/report-board-trustees-concerning-nov-9-decisions

The Pennsylvania State University Board of Trustees has been asked by members of the Penn State community, including students, faculty, staff and alumni, to state clearly its reasons for the difficult decisions that were made unanimously on the evening of Nov. 9, 2011 -- to remove Graham Spanier as president of the University and Joe Paterno as head football coach for the remaining three games of the 2011 season. Our decisions were guided by our obligation as Trustees, always, to put the interests of the University first.

In explaining the rationale to fire (or remove for three games) Paterno they offer the following rationale:

Our most important reason – by far – for this difficult decision flowed from what we learned on Nov. 5, for the first time, from a “presentment” (report) by a Pennsylvania Grand Jury about Coach Paterno’s early 2011 sworn testimony.

The report stated that a Penn State graduate assistant had gone to Coach Paterno’s home on Saturday morning, March 2, 2002. The report quoted Coach Paterno as testifying to the Grand Jury that the graduate assistant told him that he had seen Jerry Sandusky, the coach's former assistant coach up to 1999, "in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy."

While Coach Paterno did his legal duty by reporting that information the next day, Sunday, March 3, to his immediate superior, the then Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley, the Board reasonably inferred that he did not call police. We determined that his decision to do his minimum legal duty and not to do more to follow up constituted a failure of leadership by Coach Paterno.

The Board spent hours on conference calls between Saturday, Nov. 5, and Tuesday, Nov. 8, discussing appropriate action and our fiduciary responsibility as the Trustees. On Wednesday evening, Nov. 9, we met in person in State College. At about 9 pm, we unanimously made the difficult decision that Coach Paterno’s failure of leadership required his removal as football coach.

They state their most important reason for firing Paterno was based on what was contained in the grand jury presentment. The board states that Paterno’s decision to “do his minimum legal duty” constituted a failure of leadership. They further state that Paterno should have done more and followed up. The board does not bother to state what more follow up should have been done. The board indeed notes that Paterno performed his legal duty, but they couch it as a minimum duty.

Note - it wasn't a minimum duty. Paterno followed PSU policy. Read more here: https://jmmyw.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/freeh-deposition-in-paterno-v-ncaa-lawsuit/

Note - as for the grand jury presentment, read more here: https://jmmyw.wordpress.com/2016/04/26/the-grand-jury-presentment/

----- Penn Staters for Responsible Leadership also released a statement in response. A key portion of their response reads:
http://ps4rs.org/2012/03/12/03-12-2012-bot-trustees-update/

Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship is particularly outraged with the Board’s explanation that they relied primarily on the grand jury presentment in making their decision to fire Coach Paterno. When given the resources of a 28-page document written by the prosecution with the goal of obtaining a trial, or the complete, unbiased official grand jury report, the Board of Trustees today freely and proudly admitted that they chose the short cut.

To make an academic analogy, the Board of Trustees elected to rely upon the Cliffs Notes written from the perspective of the prosecutor, and in doing so, forfeited their opportunity to obtain a complete and objective understanding of the complex situation at hand. This decision – coupled with ignoring the opportunity to interview Coach Paterno firsthand — is further damning evidence of the Trustees’ glaring lack of engagement and inability to lead the University.

Of note, the above statement points out a critical fact: The board fired Paterno without ever once speaking with him.

The Paterno family also responded to the board statement.

----- Paterno family responds to board statement of 3/12/2012
The Paterno family released a statement through its attorneys in response to the 3/12/2012 board statement that same day. The statement in full:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/paterno_family_releases_statem.html

"The Paterno family is surprised and saddened that the Board of Trustees believes it is necessary and appropriate to explain -- for the fourth or fifth time -- why they fired Joe Paterno so suddenly and unjustifiably on Nov 9, 2011.

"The latest statement is yet another attempt by the board to deflect criticism of their leadership by trying to focus the blame on Joe Paterno. This is not fair to Joe's legacy; it is not consistent with the facts; and it does not serve the best interests of the university. The board's latest statement reaffirms that they did not conduct a thorough investigation of their own and engaged in a rush to judgment.

"At various times, university officials have said that they fired Joe Paterno. At other times they have said they didn't fire him. They have simultaneously accused him of moral and leadership failures, and praised him for the high standards he set for the university.

"The tough questions that have yet to be addressed relate not to Joe Paterno, but to the board. Two months ago, as Joe Paterno was dying, the board conducted a series of media interviews condemning him for 'moral' failures. Now they are trying a different tack and accusing him of 'leadership' failures.

"The question we would ask is simply this, when will the board step up and acknowledge that the ultimate responsibility for this crisis is theirs? Everyone who cares about Penn State is longing for strong, courageous, honest leadership. Today's statement is anything but that."

Nothing more really needs to be added to Paterno family’s statement. However, the question of where strong, courageous, and honest leadership has been is a question that remains unanswered almost four years later.

Read more here: https://jmmyw.wordpress.com/2016/03/04/when-the-scandal-broke-revisiting-november-2011/

Exactly. In no way, shape, or form was that an apology. And he forgot to include that they HAD TO fire Paterno because of the grand jury presentment. The Paterno family did respond to that board statement on the same day - they certainly didn't take it as an apology. The full text of their response is at the bottom of this post.

-----
The Penn State board of trustees responds to continued questions about why they fired Paterno. The reason for this new statement by the board is explained at the beginning of their 3/12/2012 statement:
http://news.psu.edu/story/150954/2012/03/12/report-board-trustees-concerning-nov-9-decisions

The Pennsylvania State University Board of Trustees has been asked by members of the Penn State community, including students, faculty, staff and alumni, to state clearly its reasons for the difficult decisions that were made unanimously on the evening of Nov. 9, 2011 -- to remove Graham Spanier as president of the University and Joe Paterno as head football coach for the remaining three games of the 2011 season. Our decisions were guided by our obligation as Trustees, always, to put the interests of the University first.

In explaining the rationale to fire (or remove for three games) Paterno they offer the following rationale:

The assholish BoT now states Paterno did no wrong. What a bunch of jack offs run our University.

Right into the ground.
Our most important reason – by far – for this difficult decision flowed from what we learned on Nov. 5, for the first time, from a “presentment” (report) by a Pennsylvania Grand Jury about Coach Paterno’s early 2011 sworn testimony.

The report stated that a Penn State graduate assistant had gone to Coach Paterno’s home on Saturday morning, March 2, 2002. The report quoted Coach Paterno as testifying to the Grand Jury that the graduate assistant told him that he had seen Jerry Sandusky, the coach's former assistant coach up to 1999, "in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy."

While Coach Paterno did his legal duty by reporting that information the next day, Sunday, March 3, to his immediate superior, the then Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley, the Board reasonably inferred that he did not call police. We determined that his decision to do his minimum legal duty and not to do more to follow up constituted a failure of leadership by Coach Paterno.

The Board spent hours on conference calls between Saturday, Nov. 5, and Tuesday, Nov. 8, discussing appropriate action and our fiduciary responsibility as the Trustees. On Wednesday evening, Nov. 9, we met in person in State College. At about 9 pm, we unanimously made the difficult decision that Coach Paterno’s failure of leadership required his removal as football coach.

They state their most important reason for firing Paterno was based on what was contained in the grand jury presentment. The board states that Paterno’s decision to “do his minimum legal duty” constituted a failure of leadership. They further state that Paterno should have done more and followed up. The board does not bother to state what more follow up should have been done. The board indeed notes that Paterno performed his legal duty, but they couch it as a minimum duty.

Note - it wasn't a minimum duty. Paterno followed PSU policy. Read more here: https://jmmyw.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/freeh-deposition-in-paterno-v-ncaa-lawsuit/

Note - as for the grand jury presentment, read more here: https://jmmyw.wordpress.com/2016/04/26/the-grand-jury-presentment/

----- Penn Staters for Responsible Leadership also released a statement in response. A key portion of their response reads:
http://ps4rs.org/2012/03/12/03-12-2012-bot-trustees-update/

Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship is particularly outraged with the Board’s explanation that they relied primarily on the grand jury presentment in making their decision to fire Coach Paterno. When given the resources of a 28-page document written by the prosecution with the goal of obtaining a trial, or the complete, unbiased official grand jury report, the Board of Trustees today freely and proudly admitted that they chose the short cut.

To make an academic analogy, the Board of Trustees elected to rely upon the Cliffs Notes written from the perspective of the prosecutor, and in doing so, forfeited their opportunity to obtain a complete and objective understanding of the complex situation at hand. This decision – coupled with ignoring the opportunity to interview Coach Paterno firsthand — is further damning evidence of the Trustees’ glaring lack of engagement and inability to lead the University.

Of note, the above statement points out a critical fact: The board fired Paterno without ever once speaking with him.

The Paterno family also responded to the board statement.

----- Paterno family responds to board statement of 3/12/2012
The Paterno family released a statement through its attorneys in response to the 3/12/2012 board statement that same day. The statement in full:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/paterno_family_releases_statem.html

"The Paterno family is surprised and saddened that the Board of Trustees believes it is necessary and appropriate to explain -- for the fourth or fifth time -- why they fired Joe Paterno so suddenly and unjustifiably on Nov 9, 2011.

"The latest statement is yet another attempt by the board to deflect criticism of their leadership by trying to focus the blame on Joe Paterno. This is not fair to Joe's legacy; it is not consistent with the facts; and it does not serve the best interests of the university. The board's latest statement reaffirms that they did not conduct a thorough investigation of their own and engaged in a rush to judgment.

"At various times, university officials have said that they fired Joe Paterno. At other times they have said they didn't fire him. They have simultaneously accused him of moral and leadership failures, and praised him for the high standards he set for the university.

"The tough questions that have yet to be addressed relate not to Joe Paterno, but to the board. Two months ago, as Joe Paterno was dying, the board conducted a series of media interviews condemning him for 'moral' failures. Now they are trying a different tack and accusing him of 'leadership' failures.

"The question we would ask is simply this, when will the board step up and acknowledge that the ultimate responsibility for this crisis is theirs? Everyone who cares about Penn State is longing for strong, courageous, honest leadership. Today's statement is anything but that."

Nothing more really needs to be added to Paterno family’s statement. However, the question of where strong, courageous, and honest leadership has been is a question that remains unanswered almost four years later.

Read more here: https://jmmyw.wordpress.com/2016/03/04/when-the-scandal-broke-revisiting-november-2011/

There is no such thing as minimum duty and moral obligation.

What assholes run Penn State.

"The question we would ask is simply this, when will the board step up and acknowledge that the ultimate responsibility for this crisis is theirs? Everyone who cares about Penn State is longing for strong, courageous, honest leadership."
And 4 & 1/2 years later ... . I was encouraged by @lubrano's indication that the board's position seemed to be evolving and am very much looking forward to his next update on this transition (to the extent that he is able to provide one, of course).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT